Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Passport Impersonation - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passport Impersonation (5684 Views)

International Passport In Port Harcourt / Who Knows The Owner Of This Passport? (Photo) / Nigeria To Extend International Passport Validity To 10 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 8:28am On Dec 25, 2015
Good day nairalanders, I need. to make an inquiry about something urgent. My mom was born in the uk in the 1966s and her broda two years after, both were brought back to Nigeria after a while when she was like 4 yrs old..the brother returned in 1989 and claimed his citizenship after taking all their joint documents together. when my mom started pressure in him that she needs the documents for her own processing he kept saying he has misplaced all the documents. We the children have now been making resarch on how to get her back to the uk to claim her citizenship only to find out like one month ago that she is being impersonated in the uk by someone.She has all the prove she is the real citizen birth certificate,pictures of her growing up in the uk, pictures of her parents and her parents documents.please should she go with a Nigerian passport and make a legal suit there or she should try claiming the citizenship from here.
please your help is highly needed.Thanks
Re: Passport Impersonation by worry359(m): 8:34am On Dec 25, 2015
It is clear that her brother has sold her details.
She should report him to the police and immigration for fraud, otherwise they will just blame her.
Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 8:34am On Dec 25, 2015
ebeekay:
Good day nairalanders, I need. to make an inquiry about something urgent. My mom was born in the uk in the 1966s and her broda two years after, both were brought back to Nigeria after a while when she was like 4 yrs old..the brother returned in 1989 and claimed his citizenship after taking all their joint documents together. when my mom started pressure in him that she needs the documents for her own processing he kept saying he has misplaced all the documents. We the children have now been making resarch on how to get her back to the uk to claim her citizenship only to find out like one month ago that she is being impersonated in the uk by someone.She has all the prove she is the real citizen birth certificate,pictures of her growing up in the uk, pictures of her parents and her parents documents.please should she go with a Nigerian passport and make a legal suit there or she should try claiming the citizenship from here.

Does she have her birth certificate?
Re: Passport Impersonation by braine(m): 8:50am On Dec 25, 2015
Wow! I'm hearing a new one here.

You guys could report the impostor to the authorities. I think they'll do all the work for you.
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 8:56am On Dec 25, 2015
justwise:

yeah she does and it contains her parents name sef
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 9:01am On Dec 25, 2015
braine:

You guys could report the impostor to the authorities. I think they'll do all the work for you.
worry359:
She should report him to the police and immigration for fraud, otherwise they will just blame her.
braine:

the authorities in Nigeria or uk? because my dad's younger sister in the uk is trying to give her an invite so she can come and claim it is it advisable
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 9:02am On Dec 25, 2015
worry359:
immigration in nigeria?
Re: Passport Impersonation by worry359(m): 9:04am On Dec 25, 2015
ebeekay:

immigration in nigeria?
Whoever issued the passport.
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 9:09am On Dec 25, 2015
worry359:

Whoever issued the passport.
she has neva been to the uk again sef so hw are going to know who issued the passport?
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 9:24am On Dec 25, 2015
justwise:

yeah she does....long one like nepa bill with parents name and British high commison has stamped it sef
Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 9:46am On Dec 25, 2015
ebeekay:

yeah she does....long one like nepa bill with parents name and British high commison has stamped it sef

Then that is the most important thing. Even if somebody has impersonated her that will be sorted out by the immigration and arrest will be made.

She can start processing her British passport from Nigeria
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 10:12am On Dec 25, 2015
justwise:

Then that is the most important thing. Even if somebody has impersonated her that will be sorted out by the immigration and arrest will be made.

can u please give us procedures on how to start reporting to the immigration? are we going to book an appointment with the British high commision at VI?
Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 10:29am On Dec 25, 2015
ebeekay:

can u please give us procedures on how to start reporting to the immigration? are we going to book an appointment with the British high commision at VI?

Everything is done online and you start here https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Avoid using an agent for your own good. All the info you need is online and in that link which is official British govt website

https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports

2 Likes

Re: Passport Impersonation by claremont(m): 10:44am On Dec 25, 2015
She can process her passport online like Justwise rightly said, and she will be invited for an interview by the British Embassy in Nigeria. I think (I'm not sure) if she gets the passport, that automatically means all her kids are entitled to be registered as British citizens.
Re: Passport Impersonation by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 25, 2015
Happy Christmas justwise wishing u d best n dis memorable season
Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 12:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
Savvyij:
Happy Christmas justwise wishing u d best n dis memorable season

..Just that? No hamper included? grin grin

Thanks..wishing you the same, have a gr8 one.
Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 12:56pm On Dec 25, 2015
claremont:
She can process her passport online like Justwise rightly said, and she will be invited for an interview by the British Embassy in Nigeria. I think (I'm not sure) if she gets the passport, that automatically means all her kids are entitled to be registered as British citizens.

That is possible but i don't think its a straight forward issue
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 1:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
justwise:

Everything is done online and you start here https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Avoid using an agent for your own good. All the info you need is online and in that link which is official British govt website

https://www.gov.uk/browse/abroad/passports
thanks a lot av seen the process so I guess we can stop the visit visa appliction then and see hw dis one goes
Re: Passport Impersonation by tpiar: 2:04pm On Dec 25, 2015
Shouldnt you start from the British Embassy or Consulate.
Re: Passport Impersonation by Nobody: 2:55pm On Dec 25, 2015
justwise:

..Just that? No hamper included? grin grin

Thanks..wishing you the same, have a gr8 one.
hahha, no be only hamper. Will work on dat next yr
Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 3:08pm On Dec 25, 2015
Savvyij:
hahha, no be only hamper. Will work on dat next yr

Phew! Want it this year abeg, you could change your mind by next year grin grin
Re: Passport Impersonation by Nobody: 3:19pm On Dec 25, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

Phew! Want it this year abeg, you could change your mind by next year grin grin
no i won't change my mind. Next yr isn't dat far na just ave patience. Hehhehhe.
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 4:43pm On Dec 25, 2015
tpiar:
Shouldnt you start from the British Embassy or Consulate.
sorry can you please explain well dint really get
Re: Passport Impersonation by tpiar: 6:49pm On Dec 25, 2015
ebeekay:

sorry can you please explain well dint really get

I meant you should probably start by going to the British Consulate or checking their website.
Re: Passport Impersonation by cozybunch: 6:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
justwise:

Processing her passport is not necessary hence their is an identity theft situation. First of all, her claims has to be investigated and arrest made before they reissue any government property to any one

Good Luck
Re: Passport Impersonation by cozybunch: 6:25pm On Dec 26, 2015
ebeekay:

She has to make claims of identity theft situation through the home office and a copy to consulate office here in nigeria (lagos or abuja) which ever location that is closest to her.

Home office will definitely investigate on it (her claims) which takes some time. If findings are found correct, an arrest will be made for identity theft, in u.s, it carries 10 years, don't really know the jail term in u.k.

After all due process, she can apply for her passport through the embassy here in nigeria. Going through visa process via invitation from her sister is completely unnecessary. Why will a u.k citizen apply for a u.k tourist visa?

Please follow this due process, it will take some time but that will be her best bet. Claims like that takes time to investigate on and action taken.

Applying for a passport wouldn't cut it, wouldn't even be given because someone is using that identity already. Applying for a visa, is stupid because she is a u.k citizen and some one has her identity in u.k already. They will denied her, fingertips taken and it will even worsen her situation.

Good Luck.
Re: Passport Impersonation by ebeekay(m): 11:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
cozybunch:

She has to make claims of identity theft situation through the home office and a copy to consulate office here in nigeria (lagos or abuja) which ever location that is closest to her.

Home office will definitely investigate on it (her claims) which takes some time. If findings are found correct, an arrest will be made for identity theft, in u.s, it carries 10 years, don't really know the jail term in u.k.

After all due process, she can apply for her passport through the embassy here in nigeria. Going through visa process via invitation from her sister is completely unnecessary. Why will a u.k citizen apply for a u.k tourist visa?

Please follow this due process, it will take some time but that will be her best bet. Claims like that takes time to investigate on and action taken.

Applying for a passport wouldn't cut it, wouldn't even be given because someone is using that identity already. Applying for a visa, is stupid because she is a u.k citizen and some one has her identity in u.k already. They will denied her, fingertips taken and it will even worsen her situation.

Good Luck.
Thank u sir..... I already sent an email to home office in uk but its yet to b replied then i called them on chrismas day it was picked bt while i was talking the line cut i the number dint go again.
Bt hw do they book appointment with the deputy consulate in lagos?
Re: Passport Impersonation by cozybunch: 12:53am On Dec 27, 2015
ebeekay:

Thank u sir..... I already sent an email to home office in uk but its yet to b replied then i called them on chrismas day it was picked bt while i was talking the line cut i the number dint go again.
Bt hw do they book appointment with the deputy consulate in lagos?

You don't need to book appointment with the deputy. In the home office website, there should be a section for complains or reports, utilize it. Also as a follow up write a certified letter to their post address, attentioned to fruad department. The same letter will also be addressed to the consulate office here in Nigeria.

The same report you lunched online with the home office you do the same with the office in nigeria. You can always follow up with phone calls to the u.k home office.

You won't get any appointment with the deputy in nigeria, it is not his or her jurisdiction to handle such complain, you are only notifying them or copying them as a matter of formality.

You should have a sorter confirmation number or auto reply from their website that you lunched a complian. You use that reference number as a correspondence whenever you are in communication with them.

Good Luck

1 Like

Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 8:04am On Dec 27, 2015
cozybunch:

Processing her passport is not necessary hence their is an identity theft situation. First of all, her claims has to be investigated and arrest made before they reissue any government property to any one

Good Luck

Of course its necessary for her to start the passport application process, the issue of impersonation will be taken care of during that process.

@ebeekay
You don't need to go through the long tiring processing of writing to this and that authority about the impersonator, help your mum to start the passport application process then during the identification check the HomeOffice will pick that out if at all somebody is impersonating your mum.

They will trigger the investigation and your mum will be called in for an interview and the impersonator will be called in as well, the worst case scenario is DNA evidence from any of your mum siblings to put the case to rest.

Your mum got nothing to worry about because she has the original birth certificate and family pictures to back up her case and the HomeOffice will do the rest without your mum reporting anything to them.
Re: Passport Impersonation by cozybunch: 9:39am On Dec 27, 2015
justwise:

Of course its necessary for her to start the passport application process, the issue of impersonation will be taken care of during that process.

@ebeekay
You don't need to go through the long tiring processing of writing to this and that authority about the impersonator, help your mum to start the passport application process then during the identification check the HomeOffice will pick that out if at all somebody is impersonating your mum.

They will trigger the investigation and your mum will be called in for an interview and the impersonator will be called in as well, the worst case scenario is DNA evidence from any of your mum siblings to put the case to rest.

Your mum got nothing to worry about because she has the original birth certificate and family pictures to back up her case and the HomeOffice will do the rest without your mum reporting anything to them.

No way a passport will be issued if at all like you said an impersonation is in place. I know of a case semi like this and it was reported. She starts applying, they won't still issue her a thing even with all her evidences. The difference there is that it will trigger investigation which will still keep her own process of getting her passport on hold.

Not here to argue with any one, what I wrote is the simpleast logical process to follow, once they finish the investigation, justice will take its course. The home office will even write her them through the consulate office on their findings.

Criminal cases like this is normally standardized with a little difference in local or countries own proceedings. Which country in the world that keeps proper records will issue a passport in a case like this. Even if it is picked, it will still stop the application which makes the case even longer because they will first of all start investigating the origination of her documents which takes time before the impersonator. It is unnecessary long process

Good Luck.

1 Like

Re: Passport Impersonation by justwise(m): 11:52am On Dec 27, 2015
cozybunch:

No way a passport will be issued if at all like you said an impersonation is in place. I know of a case semi like this and it was reported. She starts applying, they won't still issue her a thing even with all her evidences. The difference there is that it will trigger investigation which will still keep her own process of getting her passport on hold.

Not here to argue with any one, what I wrote is the simpleast logical process to follow, once they finish the investigation, justice will take its course. The home office will even write her them through the consulate office on their findings.

Criminal cases like this is normally standardized with a little difference in local or countries own proceedings. Which country in the world that keeps proper records will issue a passport in a case like this. Even if it is picked, it will still stop the application which makes the case even longer because they will first of all start investigating the origination of her documents which takes time before the impersonator. It is unnecessary long process

Good Luck.

I'm not sure you read my post or properly because i did not mention anywhere that she will be issued a passport without identity check. what you wrote will take her longer to get her passport because after the investigation she still have to apply for passport but making an application that will trigger the investigation will be shorter because after the investigation she will be issued a passport as she has an on going application already.

She does not need to write to any authority because the passport application process involves identification check and if there is an impersonator the HomeOffice will investigate that else passport will be issued to her.

Going through investigation first then application will take much longer time.
Re: Passport Impersonation by cozybunch: 6:01pm On Dec 27, 2015
justwise:

I'm not sure you read my post or properly because i did not mention anywhere that she will be issued a passport without identity check. what you wrote will take her longer to get her passport because after the investigation she still have to apply for passport but making an application that will trigger the investigation will be shorter because after the investigation she will be issued a passport as she has an on going application already.

She does not need to write to any authority because the passport application process involves identification check and if there is an impersonator the HomeOffice will investigate that else passport will be issued to her.

Going through investigation first then application will take much longer time.

I do understand where you are coming from, am going to outline both processes, with a very good analytical view, they can make a decision on what is best for them.

JUSTWISE: Apply for her passport which will trigger identity check

Result: passport application in progress

Pitfalls: identity check will trigger first, originality of her documents. The consulate office will run her check and send information to home office who does extensive check (duration unknown)

If originality found credible, investigation on the imposter begins (duration unknown)

Arrest made, case closed, passport reissued (Good, 2 steps duraction, unknown)

COZYBUNCH: Report identity situation if any via online, certified post address and follow up with phone calls.

Results: investigation in progress

Pitfalls: Duration, unknown

No passport application yet till investigation is over

Arrest made, case closed, passport reissued. (Good, 1 step duraction unknown)

They can make their decision based on this two hypothesis.

Good Luck.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Would Like To Visit Cotonou. How Can I Get There? / Flight With Nigerian Airways / Dana Air Begins Owerri-Abuja Flights May 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.