Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,478 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (76734 Views)

Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by eipreel(f): 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
Don't get it twisted love is a beautiful thing [s]especially when it's with someone working with one of the biggest telecommunications companies in the world[/s] grin

Dearie you have been the greatest inspiration to me you truly deserve the best and we (Emma,Ella,Segun,Tj,myself,mum,dad...too numerous to mention)are proud of you cheesy

Enjoy dear it's your time and I'm sure you will excel in your new job. Congrats kiss
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
VampireeM:

Adeaks answered you well, though I have many to say to that but this is Rationalmind thread and it is highly significant we stayed with his intentions for this thread.. No derailing... We may talk offbeat....
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:23pm On Dec 26, 2015
eipreel:
Wetin una dey talk for here? cheesy make I park first I dey come grin ksstroud you should be at elegushi angry

Ehmmmmm... Ma'am, adeaks infected me with "I don't do outings" virus.... Lolzzzz
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 26, 2015
eipreel:
Wetin una dey talk for here? cheesy make I park first I dey come grin ksstroud you should be at elegushi angry

You got a job and didn't let us know angry angry angry

Ksstroud is waiting for Lero. They are going together. wink
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:

Ehmmmmm... Ma'am, adeaks infected me with "I don't do outings" virus.... Lolzzzz

cry cry cry cry
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

You got a job and didn't let us know angry angry angry

Ksstroud is waiting for Lero. They are going together. wink

Don't mind her...

Lero and I, Lolzzzz, different route... Plus I'm hydrophobic... I hate visiting Island on harsh weathers
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
Why cryeth thou, that I said was nothing but the truth.... Please don't let us derail Rationalmind thread Ooooooooo, if not that David is busy grooving for Atlantic Bar, he would have bounced me.... grin grin

Rationalmind next one....

adeaks:

cry cry cry cry
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
Guys make una no vex oo, Whats the Meaning of 'rationalmind'?.
Please dont ask me to go ask google.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 26, 2015
Op im enjoying the infos.....I can relate to some....next pls
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by thinkdip(m): 1:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
take seat. *sipping my kunnu*
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
grin grin grin
The Op
Cc;
Rationalmind

Omagzee:
Guys make una no vex oo, Whats the Meaning of 'rationalmind'?.
Please dont ask me to go ask google.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:
AN INTERVIEW IS NOT A DO OR DIE AFFAIR. TREATING IT AS ONE AFFECTS ONES CONFIDENCE

Few weeks to completing NYSC, airtel graduate trainee came out. Like every other applicant, I applied, did the online test and was invited for interview alongside 39 other candidates.

This time around, I had bought a white shirt which latter turned out to be my official interview attire. cheesy

Prior to the interview, I told myself I have to get the job and there's no room for failure. I thought by so doing, I'll push myself to my limits and prepare so hard. Unfortunately, that mindset was the exact reason I got a regret mail.

When my name was called as the next person to be interviewed, I can't remember how exactly I walked to the interview room. I was so tensed and so scared of failure that when asked to introduce myself, my voice was shaking. I tried so hard to stabilise my voice but I couldn't help it.

One of the interviewers noticed and tried to calm me down. She explained to me we are just having a chat and it's nothing serious. When she noticed it wasn't working, She asked where I served. Edo state, I answered.

Wow, so you served in the same state my mum comes from? I didn't say a word. Where in Edo state did u serve? She asked. Auchi, I answered. Wow, rationalmind, can you believe my mum stays in Auchi?

At that moment, in my mind, I was like, madam, leave all these ones, just ask me wetin u wan ask make I commot for here abeg grin

When she noticed I wasn't interested in the chit chat, she went ahead to interview me but of course, the interview was a disaster. I wasn't thinking.

I was asked what I'll do when I have several things to do with same deadline, nothing came to my head, I went blank. I could have simply told them I'll prioritise.

When I left the venue, I knew I had blown it up. When people told me I might be called, I just laughed cos I knew I'll never be called. My desperation to land the job took the better of me and that was my second lesson: Never to treat an interview like it's a do or die affair.
exactly.... have an idea of what to say...and that's all...
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT LIES, IT MAY RUIN EVERY GOOD THING YOUVE SAID DURING THE INTERVIEW

I picked myself up after the airtel disappointment, downloaded numerous videos on how to overcome fear and how to build confidence.

So when I got KPMG assessment centre invite, confidence was the least of my worries. I was well prepared, digested my course to a satisfactory level and was already looking forward to working with them cos I knew I was destroying the interview which of course I did.

The interview started in no time and everything was fine, I answered all questions extremely well until one tall, slim dark guy asked this question I'll never forget.

So rationalmind, how come you're having all C's in your neco result? He asked

I responded by saying it's even miraculous I passed the neco as it was waec I really prepared for and just wrote neco for the sake of writing since I was sure I'll pass waec.

When the result came out, as I had predicted, my waec result was very fine but unfortunately, I had a D7 in chemistry and that rendered my waec result useless. Since then, I've been forced to use my neco result.

How many A's did you have in your waec? he asked.

I could have told the truth but I lied, I told him I had two A's when I had none. All I had were B's. I felt since I had given them my neco result and the result satisfies their requirement, it doesn't matter.

The interview ended in no time, I thanked them and left.

The following day, I got a call from them. "Rationalmind, you told us you have a waec result with two A's yesterday" the caller at the other end said.

Yes, I answered.

Can you please send a scanned copy of the result to us now? grin

I paused and said I wasn't at home but will do that once I get home. I needed time to plan my next line of action.

I sent my waec result like that and explained it was a mix up bla bla bla

The result was a regret mail grin

Thanks for sharing. One of the worst things anyone can do during an interview is to tell LIES. Ever employer frowns seriously at dishonesty.

5 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:
grin grin grin
The Op
Cc;
Rationalmind

Okkk, thanks.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Excellergroup(m): 1:42pm On Dec 26, 2015
Thanks for allowing your conscience win the battle. Following you like a shadow. Boss abeg no tey b4 u com back o
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by adorablevic: 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2015
One of d best topics ever

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by 0079jaBond(m): 1:48pm On Dec 26, 2015
Wow this is really enlightening
I'm learning quite a lot I must say
Thumbs up OP for letting it out

3 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by 1miccza: 1:49pm On Dec 26, 2015
I've been landing on very interesting threads today. Thanks OP i'm learning a whole lot

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Smeeky(m): 1:49pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nice one Rationalmind smiley
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 26, 2015
eipreel:

after parking come n 'wash' the new ...
ksstroud, so you didn't go too, hmmmm
ok
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ednut1(m): 1:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
Think i also need to open this kind of thread. grin. Our educational system is so wack that all those lecturers will tell u is get ur 2.1 ur home and dry. Story for d gods

3 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
ACT AND PRETEND IF YOU CAN. JUST ENSURE YOU SHOW HOW PASSIONATE YOU ARE ABOUT THE JOB. IT WORKS A LOT

I'll forever be grateful to the CEO of cordros capital in person of Mr Wale Agbeyangi. He ended my interview woes in a way he'll never believe he did.

A few months ago, I got a test invite from mastermindshrsg, I had no idea which company there were recruiting for.

Roughly one month afterwards, I got a mail from cordros capital inviting me for an online test. Few days after the test, I got an interview invite.

This time around, I didn't need to prepare much. I just picked my airtel and kpmg interview notes, read all there is to read about the company and set out for the interview.

We were 11 that made it to the interview and I was optimistic I'll get in. While we were waiting, we were told we'll be interviewed in two's. That is, two people will get in at the same time to be interviewed together.

So they ask Mr A a question, he answers, they ask Mr B the same question and he answers.

Of course, the second person to answer is at an advantage and I made sure I was always the second to answer grin

When it got to my turn, fortunately, I was grouped with a guy who won't pull his weight so it made things easy for me.

We entered and after a series of questions, Mr agbeyangi looked at the other guy and told him his responses are vague and not direct. Another interviewer told him he doesn't answer questions the way I do.

I was so happy within myself thinking I had landed the job. All of a sudden, Mr Agbeyangi looked at me and said, rationalmind, you said you want to be an investment banker but I'm not seeing the drive. I can't see the passion and I can't see the desire.

I felt he was just saying it to unsettle me so as to see how I'll react since by their own admission, the other guy hasn't been performing well while I have. I just kept smiling at him.

The interview went on till it ended and I was very optimistic about the result. The following Monday, I got a mail from them. It was the greatest surprise of my life. A regret mail. It was then I knew he meant what he said.

I learnt my next lesson, interviewers want to see the drive, the passion in you. Show it and you're close to landing the job. It's the greatest interview weapon I know.

Armed with this new lesson, I went for my next interview. smiley

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by zizytd(m): 1:52pm On Dec 26, 2015
Rationalmind you r good, I remembered ur few replies in airtel thread. Hope you have gotten a job now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by peterveo(m): 1:52pm On Dec 26, 2015
Oya continue...Rationalmind
I have learnt something new...especially dat lie aspect grin

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:54pm On Dec 26, 2015
grin grin grin
Imagine she even got a new ride too... She's parked since, I like that kind hi-pay gig Ooooooooo....

BTW, I never said I won't go, the day is still young!!!

goldendainty:

after parking come n 'wash' the new ...
ksstroud, so you didn't go too, hmmmm
ok
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Akosxxx(m): 1:54pm On Dec 26, 2015
wow! cool thread
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Adex097: 1:55pm On Dec 26, 2015
Chai grin... quite insightful. Thumbs up bro.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2015
ednut1:
Think i also need to do this kind of thread. grin

Ahahaha yours go super boom Ooooooooo... Waiting for that.. After you, then maybe mine, cos my experience is quite differ to some....
How's Atlantic Bar
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:
grin grin grin
Imagine she even got a new ride too... She's parked since, I like that kind hi-pay gig Ooooooooo....

BTW, I never said I won't go, the day is still young!!!

ok, do quick nd go abeg
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by apostlekeke(m): 1:56pm On Dec 26, 2015
This is very helpful bro. Than u so much

adeaks:

There is always something about your course that can relate....you only have to think deep and be inventive. You have to first realize that the people who invited you for the interviews were aware of your course before inviting you. If they didn't consider you employable with the course you read, they wouldnt have invited you at all. So by asking you that question they only want to see how far you can reason.

There is a senior colleague in my workplace, who read food and nutrition.(or something related) Now imagine what a food nutritionist is doing in an audit firm.

You can always ask yourself that how did she scale through the interview processes but as an example, if I am in her shoes, I can tell the interviewers that "a food nutritionist is trained to be very meticulous and observant, as a little too much of one ingredient can spoil a whole meal or maybe even render it harmful. These are traits that are also necessary for any auditor. An auditor has to have a good eye for details and also be patient and meticulous when going over the books of clients....." u re extraordinarily intelligent. Thank u so much for the tip

You just have to link some of your skills to the job. It doesn't have to be the technical skills alone.

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by nenergy(m): 1:57pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:
ACT AND PRETEND IF YOU CAN. JUST ENSURE YOU SHOW HOW PASSIONATE YOU ARE ABOUT THE JOB. IT WORKS A LOT

I'll forever be grateful to the CEO of cordros capital in person of Mr Wale Agbeyangi. He ended my interview woes in a way he'll never believe he did.

A few months ago, I got a test invite from mastermindshrsg, I had no idea which company there were recruiting for.

Roughly one month afterwards, I got a mail from cordros capital inviting me for an online test. Few days after the test, I got an interview invite.

This time around, I didn't need to prepare much. I just picked my airtel and kpmg interview notes, read all there is to read about the company and set out for the interview.

We were 11 that made it to the interview and I was optimistic I'll get in. While we were waiting, we were told we'll be interviewed in two's. That is, two people will get in at the same time to be interviewed together.

So they ask Mr A a question, he answers, they ask Mr B the same question and he answers.

Of course, the second person to answer is at an advantage and I made sure I was always the second to answer grin

When it got to my turn, fortunately, I was grouped with a guy who won't pull his weight so it made things easy for me.

We entered and after a series of questions, Mr agbeyangi looked at the other guy and told him his responses are vague and not direct. Another interviewer told him he doesn't answer questions the way I do.

I was so happy within myself thinking I had landed the job. All of a sudden, Mr Agbeyangi looked at me and said, rationalmind, you said you want to be an investment banker but I'm not seeing the drive. I can't see the passion and I can't see the desire.
This is inspiring! Please can I compile and blog?

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Service Applicants 2018 Thread / This Man Wants A Job At The Mortuary But He Failed His First Test (photos) / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.