Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,830 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (76755 Views)

Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:

Stay for one place Biko.... grin grin grin...Telecom has More prospect than oil & gas... tongue

It's not about the prospect alone, remember?

It's equally about passion. I have this passion fo a career in the oil and gas industry grin

3 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 4:54pm On Dec 26, 2015
SweetyZinta:

MY GOD!!!
Hmmmmmm, Can I cope if I were in your shoes? I think I will just give-up already. Still studying thou. I'll pray fervently for God's Grace

Do not fret, all what is here is about journey to becoming a successful man or woman. Even in school, you know what we face to ace all those courses... This is just about life;
1)Having the right information
2)Knowing what you are doing
3)Doing the right thing
4)Being focused
5)Being determined and passionate
6)Having the faith
7)Exploring the availables
coolPursuing the Very Best
9)Being Versatile
)and taking the sky to be the springboard... That you are far more than the eagles, so soar higher

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 4:57pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:

It's not about the prospect alone, remember?

It's equally about passion. I have this passion fo a career in the oil and gas industry grin

Rationalmind you don start Ooooooooo.... Okay let's go there...
Should we start with local or IOCs all the way...
BTW I know where are in the same current pursuit of ONE
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 26, 2015
hopsydboi:
following......

I love the way you state those experience with some sense of humor....makes it really understandable

Thanks bro.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
PresVA:
So enlightening and full of humour.. good mixture grin

ThankGod for who you're today bro.. have always known you here... wish you greater heights. .

Thanks Mrs(to tell you I've always known you here too) cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 5:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
elantraceey:

Wow, this is superb, now I'm having a rethink on my project topic.

Please can you give us some of your bullet responses if you don't mind.

Whatever topic you choose for your project, ensure you know it properly. I can bet you it will come up during an interview.

As for the bullet responses, I'll be back shortly
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by phineas: 5:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
I must add if you are a graduate searching for work useful skills include basic proficiency with MS word and excel at least plus or minus some basic graphic design for reporting .People get employed for what they can do these days and not their certificate.

this is the most helpful tip I can give anyone,

All the ladies should quit learning makeup artistry or gele tying in school and just pick an excel sheet and be proficient (if they are serious about a career that is). Entry level stuff

be sure to mention it at the interview too.

Any graduate that cant use this basic packages is unemployable. Harsh truth but it is what it is.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 5:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
Rationalmind are you Frank Edoho, this your backing shortly makes someone salivates Ooooooooo...
Anyways make e no be like Jega/INEC coming back during last election ooooo grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Abdul4trust1(m): 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
Beautiful write-up
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 26, 2015
dearpreye:

I like your signature. Wishing you a prosperous new year.

Wish u that and more..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 26, 2015
elantraceey:

Wow, this is superb, now I'm having a rethink on my project topic.

Please can you give us some of your bullet responses if you don't mind.

Preparing bullet responses is a very very good thing, but one has to be careful not to be thrown off course.

I went for a final interview in a company having prepared for all the usual questions and had my responses down pat. The interview was going so well as all the questions they were asking were the ones I had prepared for, until one lady on the panel asked me "tell us about a time you had a disagreement with your boss or superior, and how did you handle it"

The question was so left field that I was momentarily stunned. I had been answering all their questions rapidly and confidently, but suddenly I was speechless....so the panel took note of it. Funny thing was, I had very valid, real-life answers to that question but my brain just wasn't booting. I had gotten into such a great rhythm trotting out my already prepared responses that the first unexpected question just made me go blank.

I finally told the panel that I couldn't remember any event as such. The Lady said she was willing to give me five minutes to think of one of such events but I mustered courage and told her that since I couldnt remember one, I would rather not formulate a story just to answer the question". I honestly thought that was the end of the interview, but surprisingly they all laughed and said they also wouldn't want me to formulate stories for them.

Now my point is, when preparing bullet responses to the usual interview questions, don't get so caught up in it during the interview itself because you might just get a question that is completely outside what you prepared for.

I got a success mail from that interview but I learnt a more valuable lesson .

23 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by eipreel(f): 5:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
goldendainty:

after parking come n 'wash' the new ...
ksstroud, so you didn't go too, hmmmm
ok
I dey come space no dey dis garage make I find another one grin
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by MrsRationalmind(f): 5:23pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:
Lolsss... I can't laugh... Well a lesson to some peeps sha....
Hope Mrsrationalmind is not reading this....
Bae is very honest I can testify grin
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 5:23pm On Dec 26, 2015
Adeaks the boss... Maybe you should continue alongside with Rationalmind, since everybody can't visit your diary....
My man, anytime....
Hope you can do a pro Bono guarantor for me ooooo.
I may need it for a gig.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 5:25pm On Dec 26, 2015
eipreel:

I dey come space no dey dis garage make I find another one grin

Ahahaha, na ojuelegba you wan park ni.. Zoom down to Lagos now, enough space dey...
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 5:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
MrsRationalmind:

Bae is very honest I can testify grin

FYI,
That your bae that I may know is too smart and charismatic, even being a career woman; she's also a detective.... grin
Let's leave that for another day, we just used this to make your thread a "work and fun" environment...
Ciao
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by MrsRationalmind(f): 5:36pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:

FYI,
That your bae that I may know is too smart and charismatic, even being a career woman; she's also a detective.... grin
Let's leave that for another day, we just used this to make your thread a "work and fun" environment...
Ciao
I am bae's bae angry
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:
Adeaks the boss... Maybe you should continue alongside with Rationalmind, since everybody can't visit your diary....
My man, anytime....
Hope you can do a pro Bono guarantor for me ooooo.
I may need it for a gig.

Who am I to continue with rationalmind when your lordship is on this thread. The gallery would learn more from the nuggets of wisdom dropping from your lordship's learned tongues than my humble self. wink

I don tell you nah, I only do anything Pro Bono for beautiful ladies. undecided

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 5:48pm On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

Who am I to continue with rationalmind when your lordship is on this thread. The gallery would learn more from the nuggets of wisdom dropping from your lordship's learned tongues than my humble self. wink

I don tell you nah, I only do anything Pro Bono for beautiful ladies. undecided

You brought your meekness and simplicity down here again... Hmmmm, adeaks, you no kill me with laughter...
Lordship belongs to you, Rationalmind and some others that I won't mention...
For pro Bono... I made the request, should you have a rethink.... grin
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 5:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
shocked shocked shocked
MrsRationalmind:

I am bae's bae angry

So there's Mrsrationalmind...
Anyways you are within our radar... grin grin
Let the status quo remain sha
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Intelligentdude(m): 5:54pm On Dec 26, 2015
Why do I have this feeling that it's Cobranet Company in Lekki
rationalmind:
ACTING OUT PASSION WORKS

To start with, I'll have to say the ajasa4link method works. And I have to say a big thank you to him. I read his thread and how he landed his job then decided to try out the same thing.

I got a list of telecoms firms in lagos, got their contact line and sent a text message to about 20 of them. I told them I was a fresh graduate, passionate about a career in the telecoms industry and bla bla bla.

Luckily for me, an in house recruitment was being conducted in one of the companies and my text was replied. I was invited for a test. I would have loved to mention the name of the company but I can't as I'll be resigning in a few days and can't risk letting them know before collecting my December salary grin.

Shortly after the test, I was told to wait to be interviewed. I wasn't prepared as I was invited for a test and not an interview.

I went in and during the interview, I was asked the name of their CEO. How would I have known? grin. Told them point blank I didn't know. I wasn't performing so well but was waiting for an opportunity to unleash my weapon. The passion weapon.

Then the question came. Rationalmind, we take trainees for 6 months and pay them... thousand during the six months but most people leave before the end of 6 months when we haven't recouped our investment. They move to banks where they are offered better pay. How are we sure you won't leave?

I started, Sir, that's what happens when people look for jobs they aren't passionate about. To them, it's all about money. To me, it's about my undying love for telecoms. Matter of fact sir, I wrote three courses in telecoms as an undergraduate and had two A's and one B. My love for telecoms dates back to my undergraduate days and money will never make me leave for a bank job.

I saw them smiling. At that point, they obviously had forgotten I didn't know the name of their CEO grin and sent me a success mail few days later.

Like I said earlier, I know no interview weapon greater than showing than you're passionate about the job. It works.

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Fraih(f): 6:01pm On Dec 26, 2015
Thanks for this Rationalmind, you must have a good heart to be willing to share this in the first place.

ThumbsUp

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:01pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:
ACTING OUT PASSION WORKS

To start with, I'll have to say the ajasa4link method works. And I have to say a big thank you to him. I read his thread and how he landed his job then decided to try out the same thing.

I got a list of telecoms firms in lagos, got their contact line and sent a text message to about 20 of them. I told them I was a fresh graduate, passionate about a career in the telecoms industry and bla bla bla.

Luckily for me, an in house recruitment was being conducted in one of the companies and my text was replied. I was invited for a test. I would have loved to mention the name of the company but I can't as I'll be resigning in a few days and can't risk letting them know before collecting my December salary grin.

Shortly after the test, I was told to wait to be interviewed. I wasn't prepared as I was invited for a test and not an interview.

I went in and during the interview, I was asked the name of their CEO. How would I have known? grin. Told them point blank I didn't know. I wasn't performing so well but was waiting for an opportunity to unleash my weapon. The passion weapon.

Then the question came. Rationalmind, we take trainees for 6 months and pay them... thousand during the six months but most people leave before the end of 6 months when we haven't recouped our investment. They move to banks where they are offered better pay. How are we sure you won't leave?

I started, Sir, that's what happens when people look for jobs they aren't passionate about. To them, it's all about money. To me, it's about my undying love for telecoms. Matter of fact sir, I wrote three courses in telecoms as an undergraduate and had two A's and one B. My love for telecoms dates back to my undergraduate days and money will never make me leave for a bank job.

I saw them smiling. At that point, they obviously had forgotten I didn't know the name of their CEO grin and sent me a success mail few days later.

Like I said earlier, I know no interview weapon greater than showing than you're passionate about the job. It works.

Thanks for this wonderful lecture, I really learnt a lot. Gracias

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Kbraims(m): 6:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
Osarieme415:
Can someone please enlighten me. I find it difficult to communicate a satisfactory answer when it comes to answering the "what are your strength/weakness" question. It simply unsettles me. How do I answer, without giving the impression that I am trying to impress or being dishonest
you jst hav to let dem knw dat nobody has no weakness...bt u're workn on ur own nd u tink u wl overcome it!
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by chimajii: 6:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
this is a damn funny thread with supposed real life experiences? lwkm!! at d way the OP writes his ordeal..lmao!! grin
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by lokobyforch(m): 6:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
Enjoying ma self, as well learning...waiting
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
As you said earlier on, If you to be asked:

1. Why do you want to work for us?

2. Where do you see yourself in 5yrs time?

3. What are you strength & weakness?

4. What do you know about this company?

Please, what is likely to be ur response? I wanna know, u know we're all learning..

Thanks once more sharing this lovely topic/experience/eye opener.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by adeyinka09: 6:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:

Thanks for reading. smiley
ksstroud:

Do not fret, all what is here is about journey to becoming a successful man or woman. Even in school, you know what we face to ace all those courses... This is just about life;
1)Having the right information
2)Knowing what you are doing
3)Doing the right thing
4)Being focused
5)Being determined and passionate
6)Having the faith
7)Exploring the availables
coolPursuing the Very Best
9)Being Versatile
)and taking the sky to be the springboard... That you are far more than the eagles, so soar higher
adeaks:

Preparing bullet responses is a very very good thing, but one has to be careful not to be thrown off course.
I went for a final interview in a company having prepared for all the usual questions and had my responses down pat. The interview was going so well as all the questions they were asking were the ones I had prepared for, until one lady on the panel asked me "tell us about a time you had a disagreement with your boss or superior, and how did you handle it"
The question was so left field that I was momentarily stunned. I had been answering all their questions rapidly and confidently, but suddenly I was speechless....so the panel took note of it. Funny thing was, I had very valid, real-life answers to that question but my brain just wasn't booting. I had gotten into such a great rhythm trotting out my already prepared responses that the first unexpected question just made me go blank.
I finally told the panel that I couldn't remember any event as such. The Lady said she was willing to give me five minutes to think of one of such events but I mustered courage and told her that since I couldnt remember one, I would rather not formulate a story just to answer the question". I honestly thought that was the end of the interview, but surprisingly they all laughed and said they also wouldn't want me to formulate stories for them.
Now my point is, when preparing bullet responses to the usual interview questions, don't get so caught up in it during the interview itself because you might just get a question that is completely outside what you prepared for.
I got a success mail from that interview but I learnt a more valuable lesson .
woww!!!. what an interesting, inspiring and educative post
av learnt alot but wish to learn more. nairaland wont jst permit me to send u (bosses) pm however sirs, my email is adeyinka1919@gmail.will like to send u a mail. Thanks and God bless u Sirs

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
Mr. Rationalmind thanks a lot for this eye opener. Am currently a serving Corp member Batch B15. Even though I haven't attended any interviews yet your story made me feel like I've had 9 already. I read this thread with a lot of passion putting myself in your shoes in the process and I must say it's inspiring. God bless you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Osarieme415(m): 6:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
bioda:

hi , a very good way to answer this question is to do a thorough self examination. Strengths/Weakness may be both work related or non-work related. So you need to sit down, look inwards, and write down those things you can identify. For me, Weaknesses include inability to say 'no' to additional and excess work load, occasional impatience, over sensitivity and dislike for abrupt changes in plan/schedule and dislike for apathy among team members. Strengths include capacity to work under pressure, ability to take up new task/roles without prior/extensive training, active listening, collaborative spirit, can-do attitude ( always believe something will work out fine), always willing to attend to and help solve team members' issues..... etc....and many more.
Thank you so much. You are a blessing
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Djboosting: 6:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for yet another vital lesson: not leaving anything to chance. Many of us can't really say anything truly convincing and compelling about our undergraduate project, especially where it's being quite a number of years since we graduated. Indeed getting a job entails much more than intelligence; it also involves adequate preparation, being able to explain our life's dreams to our employers, sincerity, and some necessary interview techniques.

In a world where there are an unending number of candidates adequately certificated and qualified for very limited job spaces, it's obvious some other hidden skills must be brought to bear.

I had a similar experience where I narrated my entire life dreams. I got the job......

Anyway, rationalmind, this is YOUR thread. We're following....keenly too.

Nice content @ italics & bolded..

Everyone is unique according to creation, but standing out amazingly from the crowd irrespective of the situation is the main PROFIT.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
Djboosting:

Nice content @ italics & bolded..

Everyone is unique according to creation, but standing out amazingly from the crowd irrespective of the situation is the main PROFIT.

That's it, my boss. Compliments of the season.

Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life feeling stupid- Albert Einstein!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

This Man Wants A Job At The Mortuary But He Failed His First Test (photos) / Nigeria Customs Service Applicants 2018 Thread / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.