Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,929 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today (76500 Views)

12 Pointers You Might Have Heart Disease. Any Of These? See A Doctor ASAP / My Experience As An Egg Donor / What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by KayB: 11:01pm On Dec 26, 2015
Why in Nigeria do we love to prefer immediate causes of issues without weighing the remote causes for better inferences?
Poverty and oppression have beclouded our thinking to become hipocrites.
Is d guy suppose to be the only medic in hospital?
Why do they have to transfer patients if there's equipment?
Would d guy be able to handle multiple ops of patients and is he even up to the task when he's just learning?
What if he was absent like his Ogas?
Should d guy single out the girl to treat and leave others or being a well paid medical officer he should pay for all d victims whn his salary is at d lowest of the medical profession?
Salients questions are numerous on this case and to solve it is our duties to clamour for better governance and stop who wore it better syndrome that typifies naraland.
Our govt is suppose to serve us.

9 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 26, 2015
dohyn:
Granted the op should have done better(set up a line,rush normal saline etc) but the blame ultimately lies on the Government.. The victims were brought in by policemen who dumped them there,meaning there was no family member to pay for treatment. The lady that died would have been kept alive with blood transfusions at least..But who will pay for the pints of blood?
This is where our govt is at fault..Emergency kits should be provided in all govt hospitals which would be used in cases like this and should be replaced by the patient's relatives before discharge.Ditto for blood. However,with my experience, I can boldly say that 75% of Nigerians will not replace it. If the patient dies,then 100% won't.
In summary,these occurrences will continue to happen until we all wake up and demand that the Govt does the proper thing instead of harassing the op on a faceless forum.

Shut up! Start the treatment first! You are asking for payment when patients are dying? Don't tell me you are this stupiid!

-CramJones

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by RedCapChief(m): 11:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
Naveedah:
@Op What's the worse the system would have done if you had attended to the patient without pay. Kindly answer this, I really need to learn. I am not in the medical field, but I understand 'Situations'.
The worst that could happen to a disobedient house officer?

Option A - Nothing -if the senior colleague is not pissed.

Option B - You could be sacked for insubordination, reported to the MDCN, made to face a disciplinary panel who could strip you of your temporary license and render you unable to safely practice medicine

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by 2goodbobo(m): 11:03pm On Dec 26, 2015
It won't be out of place if you had paid the bill for the girl and save her life. Am sure her family would have refunded you the cost. If i were in your shoes, I would have gone extra mile to help her because I can't stand such situations. I know myself I just can't. No matter what it was I would have assisted her.

I'm practically shading tears for the girl. I just can't imagine how helpless she was and no one could help her until she passed away. Lets learn to love one another and show love when it matters most . R.I.P to the dead. My heart goes out to her family.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 26, 2015
prisiluv:

Hey doc,i feel u..my bae called me sometym ago,all emotional telln me hw a patient(a little baby) was lost...nd how dey all tried...4get all dese pple saying thrash...I'm not a Dr,but being close 2 one has made me understand how powerful the command chain is in a govt hospital.D order 4rm ur superior is almost impossible 2go against even wen a life is being endangered.sometyms,u're torn btwn following a snr reg or consultant's order nd doing wat u knw is best for a patient...That woman is wicked tho...Does emergency need payment first in a govt hospital? who was she even expecting to mak payments dat night nd being an accident victim...Doctors re nice,bt dat lady was heartless.may God have mercy.Keep Doing all u can 2save a life.

Your bae if she faced the exact scenario as this useless doctor, then I am afraid you also have a profoundly useless and foolish bae!

-CramJones

8 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Quelme: 11:03pm On Dec 26, 2015
cosmatika:
I bet u wntd to do medicine but failed, hence ur rant against Drs. So u dnt knw dat govt policies affect healthcare provision in dis country? Or u dnt knw dat d nurses re d custodians of d equipments? So if a Nurse seys I won't bring out d oxygen cylinder cos px has nt registered I'll go fight her? Use ur head
you gaffed big time... What were u actually thinking when u took the hippocratic oath, money first or the life of ur patient first above any other thing.?
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by FemiFaniKayode: 11:03pm On Dec 26, 2015
Lexusgs430:
Let's not let our emotions override commonsense!!! What the OP wrote is bad, and cannot be called any other.
But let's holistically look at the rot and lack of funding, in our health sector!!!!

what is the rot and lack of funding?
Did OP say he was about starting basic resuscitation and there was non-availability of basic things?

Guy man u liv better meat whey dey your backyard go dey find lizard for forest

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 26, 2015
cramjones:

No - it is true - A patient goes to a HOSPITAL and the FIRSTLINE doctor is looking for how to refer claiming no equipment. Then why is it a hospital? What equipment was he looking for? IV canulas? drip bags? pcv bottles to group and cross-match? This is pathetic....He has not business practicing medicine if he cannot do a simple resucisation! I am so annoyed at this stuupid guy calling himself a doctor. For his incompetence he is not only calling second on calls, he is now calling on government? To resuscitate the patient for you? How stupiid!

-CramJones

Don't mind him.
After swearing their yeye physicians oath which says helping humanity should be their primary goal, they go into hospitals and turn their primary goals to something else entirely.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Purposebabe(f): 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
Op, I understand you. You did the right thing although it is very bitter for the family.
In medical field you follow higher instructions and orders cos if you try to do things in your own way, knowing fully well that you are the only doctor on call and it's a clear thing that you can't handle the case on your own. The best is to refer to an higher Centre. If you try anything on your own giving the fact that you were given an order then your license is at stake.
Even the patient's parent won't want to know that you are only trying to help out as the only doctor on call.
God continue to help us o. A ni sise se o. A de ni ri ogun akoba o. Jesu oluwa wa. AMIN.

PURPOSE BABE.

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
RedCapChief:

The worst that could happen to a disobedient house officer?

Option A - Nothing -if the senior colleague is not pissed.

Option B - You could be sacked for insubordination, reported to the MDCN, made to face a disciplinary panel who could strip you of your temporary license and render you unable to safely practice medicine

Nonesense! The MO would be sacked not the other way round! This is a clear case of incompetence by both the HO and the MO. The MO obviously not wanting to be disturbed gives a foolish excuse! Since the HO prooved his incompetence by calling the MO first, the MO would have been on the phone instructing the the HO on steps to stabilize the patients.

-CramJones
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Crocz(m): 11:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
This gotta be one of most useless thread I've come across...to hell with order from above and wherever its coming from...how much is it going to cost you to defy the useless, barbaric, inhumane order?...a couple of thousands, get you the sack?...so what!..compared to a human life?

@cosmatika...you had a choice and you chose not to save the dying lady, shame on you and the oath you took...of what good are you as a doctor if you can't live to the oath you took to save lives first no matter what?...shame on you again! angry
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Samakus(m): 11:06pm On Dec 26, 2015
Guys, give the OP a break. He did what he should do at that time. Some of these unemployed people don't know that once you are employed, you answer and indeed adhere to the whims and caprices of your manager.You don't go against your seniors. Who does that? Let alone a House officer that is more or less a 'houseboy' in the medical profession in Nigeria. Don't blame him, blame his wicked senior that gave him an order when he could have been considerate. If I were in his shoes, I will do the same and I will feel no remorse about it. Shikena!

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Akainzo(m): 11:06pm On Dec 26, 2015
cosmatika:
Did u read everything at all? I'm a house officer, d lowest in d medical ladder. Can't tek some decisions wtout my snrs. Its a govt hospt & nt my father's

Since it is a government hospital, then it is a PUBLIC institution and therefore the government pronouncement, by even the Inspector General of Police as recent as 3 months back that ALL Accident victims, even gun shot wounds should be treated should have guided you!

As a Doc in a government hospital, your loyalty should have been to the federation. You actually erred!

You claim to superiors is a smokescreen! If it was a private hospital now, i for say, but this is a GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL!! Haba! You failed your profession.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
Leopantro:

He was given a direct order by a senior doctor not to treat. In an ideal setting, he will answer a query. From a doctor's standpoint, if he went ahead to treat, he will not be punished.
But Nigeria is not an ideal setting. Doctors have been sacked for disobeying senior doctors. As a junior doctor he must be under supervision, a case can be made from there.
This is why having views sometimes termed eccentric is so very good. It's just like a pregnant woman due for delivery, but she couldn't have normal birth. Then, the doctor demands for payment before he performs c-section on her. And the money is not available at that crucial time. Leaving the woman to die with pregnancy is not justifiable.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by mandax: 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
Which government are you meant to call upon?

Government Houses in Nigeria are mostly occupied by heartless fellows.

Hardly any normal person competes in Nigeria's elections.

Do your best as a medic, it's Nigeria where life expectancy is coming less to 35; while life expectancy is approaching 75 in other countries
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by kelechiMarie(f): 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
adahib:

Exactly,most of them will do worse.

Another thing I hate is this talk of "if it were your mother or sister". Call me insensitive all you want but she wasn't the mother nor sister. How many of them have given a stranger what they give their mothers or sisters? How many of them were there when the family was suffering to put him through school? How dare you lot try to equate yourselves to one's mother. There is nothing we won't do for our mothers but I challenge any of you who will willingly help a total stranger at the expense of your job, to step forward...
hmmn deep. I sure hope I can get to a level where I'd willingly help a stranger even at the cost of my job. Truth be told is if op gets dismissed he'd find himself alone,all those talking here will be gone and so will family and friends. We all knw justice takes really long in Nigeria. It takes a lot of spine to do something like that in a society like ours. Besides how many patients can you pay for?There'll always be one you can't help and the guilt remains.#sosad

9 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Akainzo(m): 11:07pm On Dec 26, 2015
Samakus:
Guys, give the OP a break. He did what he should do at that time. Some of these unemployed people don't know that once you are employed, you answer and indeed adhere to the whims and caprices of your manager.You don't go against your seniors. Who does that? Let alone a House officer that is more or less a 'houseboy' in the medical profession in Nigeria. Don't blame him, blame his wicked senior that gave him an order when he could have been considerate. If I were in his shoes, I will do the same and I will feel no remorse about it. Shikena!

You are a clown! If the girl was his relative, would he follow the directive or would he do all he could to save the relative's life!

I blame him! He made a decision not to attend to the victims but was making phone calls!
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by dohyn(m): 11:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
[quote author=cramjones post=41373401]

Shut up! Start the treatment first! You are asking for payment when patients are dying? Don't tell me you are this stupiid!

-CramJones[/quote

take your stupidity away from my post,I beg of you.

5 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Bjergtrolde: 11:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
gunpoint:

No one is blaming the little guy.
But when the little guy does nothing for the next little guy, he is only lying to himself that the situation will improve.
This is why Nigeria has become entrenched in mediocrity.
We have all come to accept dark age policies as the norm

Thanks for your polite response.
Have you ever wondered why their is an all hours open private chemist in front of every major government accident and emergency department?
Its because the emergency department has got next to nothing. No cannula, no giving set, no fluids, no analgesics, nada.
Just guys like the OP trying to do the best in extremely challenging situation.

Some years ago, we took some relative to an Accident and Emergency Department in the East. The doctor kindly wrote a list of drugs for us to purchase so we sent one person out on that errand while asking the other to go to the records department to get a "card". It was after that , that my relative got treatment. Now this is a Federal Hospital. Op is based in a state hospital. I doubt they will me that well equipped.

Now I understand why we struggle to make any progress. We are very emotional in looking at our problems. "Our hospitals have become mere consulting rooms" Buhari version 1.
Things have not changed, they are unlikely to change if people keep abusing the OP rather than those who brought us to that level and those who made the rules.

On the chap cursing me , praying that this faith befalls me. I am not under any illusions. If I was involved in an accident like this, I think this is the faith that would befall me. It would not be fault of the hapless junior doctor, it would be the fault of the system.

6 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Crocz(m): 11:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
Samakus:
Shame on you too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 11:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
THUNDER4real:
God forbid: What of if the person lying down there is a sibling? will you wait for orders to act?
On point, Bro.
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by FemiFaniKayode: 11:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
Samakus:

who is unemployed?
That's why you still roaming the streets!

Mr No Remorse

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Lexusgs430: 11:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

what is the rot and lack of funding?
Did OP say he was about starting basic resuscitation and there was non-availability of basic things?

Guy man u liv better meat whey dey your backyard go dey find lizard for forest

No matter how basic or non-basic things are, they did not drop from heaven!!!!
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by eyinjuege: 11:10pm On Dec 26, 2015
flamingtiger:
Rejecting accident victims without treatment is an offence under the National Health Act 2014. Can you kindly send me the name of the hospital and the doctor who gave such order.

Thank you very much!

I was wondering if I was hallucinating on the treatment of trauma victims free at least for the first 24 hours till they can settle their bills...

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
[quote author=dohyn post=41373607][/quote]

As usual, another pus-filled brain trying so hard to make an intelligent comment, but yet again spews garbage!

-CramJones

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by FemiFaniKayode: 11:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
Lexusgs430:

No matter how basic or non-basic things are, they did not drop from heaven!!!!

How is your rot and policy comment related to OP's actions and inactions?

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Chinwem(f): 11:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
wunmi590:
And everyday some people keep shouting, Nigeria will get there, when is it with this sane attitude?

I shake my head for the new generation of this country.

You can imagine where a senior doctor for that matter is saying money first before life.

@OP you have done your best God gives live and take it, you shall be rewarded by God with the little time you spent in trying to proffer solution.

RIP to the dead

Really?
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Quelme: 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
ikombe:
stop waisting your time quoting idiots who are not in a medical field like you undecided
with this kind of English "waisting" u are indeed in the medical profession. Hope i'm not "waisting" my time quoting u.?

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by PHIPEX(m): 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
The energy some of us are using to attack Op can better be used to pressure the govt to make better laws. It's very unfortunate that the laws in our country have made us "heartless and wicked".
Till date most us don't know how best to react in an accident scene because of what Nigeria police will do if the victim dies in our hand.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Flashh: 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
femi4:
You are already embarrassed even with very poor handwriting
Do I know you?
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
prisiluv:

Hey doc,i feel u..my bae called me sometym ago,all emotional telln me hw a patient(a little baby) was lost...nd how dey all tried...4get all dese pple saying thrash...I'm not a Dr,but being close 2 one has made me understand how powerful the command chain is in a govt hospital.D order 4rm ur superior is almost impossible 2go against even wen a life is being endangered.sometyms,u're torn btwn following a snr reg or consultant's order nd doing wat u knw is best for a patient...That woman is wicked tho...Does emergency need payment first in a govt hospital? who was she even expecting to mak payments dat night nd being an accident victim...Doctors re nice,bt dat lady was heartless.may God have mercy.Keep Doing all u can 2save a life.
...Pele tie, iyawo dokita undecided sad

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Proper Way To Use Face-Shield & Face-Mask - Federal Ministry Of Health / I Finally Went For A HIV Test First Time In My Entire Life / Lockdown: Ogun Conducts Online Poll On Whether Lockdown Should Continue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.