Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today (76511 Views)

12 Pointers You Might Have Heart Disease. Any Of These? See A Doctor ASAP / My Experience As An Egg Donor / What A Doctor Did When I Accompanied A Female Friend To The Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
RedCapChief:

Nobody controls anybody, but you can't work independently. If the nurse refuses to bring out the equipment, what are you going to do? Beat her up? Start looking for her senior nurse when the patient's minutes are wasting away? We have a bad system and even the brightest stars will underperform in a bad environment.

Please what stupid equipment is the nurse bringing out? An IV canula? A drip bag? What exactly! You should hide your head a shame!

-CramJones

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by dohyn(m): 11:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
as expected, the idiot called Cramjones has pulled up a story in the UK to back up his points. like we all don't know the difference between Nigeria and UK is night and day.
If you are who you say you are,then you should be grateful you are in a country that lets you roam the streets and not be in jail. Rabid dog. As if it's not you and your ilk that turned Nigeria to the pitiful state it is now.
Anuofia

10 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Mpanyi: 11:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
Op, don't mind some people. God knew how you felt and tried. Some people commenting here don't know what is laid down procedure. Instead of them profering solution on how govt can solve this by may be way of a health insurance scheme they are blaming you. They don't know cases like this always come up at your place of work. Do they expect you. to be disobeying orders always

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by claremont(m): 11:29pm On Dec 26, 2015
Leopantro:

But you are wrong. I am a doctor and I work in the Nigerian system. Let me give you a story.
Some time ago I delivered a pre-term baby that is a baby born at 24 weeks . Immediately after birth the baby stopped breathing. The hospital I worked with didn't have oxygen and the two incubators where in use. I used my own oxygen cylinder on the baby and did ambubagged that is cardiac massage in the baby for it to breath normally. We entered my car and rushed to LASUTH. We were told no bed space and were referred to LUTH. We drove to LUTH, parked at the car park and walked over a 7 minutes to the pediatric ward where we were told they had no free incubator and had no electricity supply. We were referred to a private hospital in Surulere where the consultant was not around. We decided to go back to our hospital to continue care for the baby. Please note that all this time I was doing cardiac massage on this baby while someone else drove. On our way back to the hospital, the oxygen finished, the baby turned blue and died. We got back to the hospital and the husband beat me up for not saving the baby. This happened 4 years ago ; till date I have not received a dime for what I did. This is what happens everyday.

Your case is different, you did everything you could and your conscience is clear. The OP and/or his MO is clearly negligent in allowing a patient die without providing medical care.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
bayulll01:

what has that got to do with change the truth is most doc in nig are not professional,we dont value life
Not wen the people in power are not doing the necessary things to aid the medical needs of the masses ....
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Crocz(m): 11:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
Bjergtrolde:

Ehen,

Drugs in resuscitation comes under where it is required. There is no separate category for drugs. So your adrenaline for Bradycardia would come under circulation. Though if a bleeding accident victim has become bradycardic, adrenaline is not going to do diddly squat for you.

So Dr C Jones, do you really expect that OPs State Hospital has some adrenaline, fluids etc lying around? Lets be honest with ourselves. The high mortality rate following RTA's are because our hospitals are not equipped to handle it.
Cut OP some slack.
Hey Dr who...shame on you too

There is a whole truck load of shame to go round for all you quack, unethical, coward, life-robbing, shame-less doctors this night

Can't believe people like you graduated from med school...what a joke!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 11:30pm On Dec 26, 2015
RedCapChief:

The worst that could happen to a disobedient house officer?

Option A - Nothing -if the senior colleague is not pissed.

Option B - You could be sacked for insubordination, reported to the MDCN, made to face a disciplinary panel who could strip you of your temporary license and render you unable to safely practice medicine
If you are reported to the MDCN, won't they give you fair hearing?

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Quelme: 11:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
RedCapChief:

For how long will you pay? Accident victims come into government hospitals on weekly basis. For how long will you pay for food, drugs, surgery e.t.c What about other patients? They were over 10 victims dumped there. Will you also pay for them or are they unworthy of help?
Those patients needed referral to another center. Will you bring your car or pay for a taxi cab?
damn you idiot... Clinicians are only good at superiority contest with other medical workers...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Bjergtrolde: 11:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
Crocz:

Hey Dr who...shame on you too

There is a whole truck load of shame to go round for all you quack, unethical, coward, life-robber, shame-less doctors this night

Can't believe people like you graduated from med school...what a joke!

Thank you sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by FemiFaniKayode: 11:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
Lexusgs430:

So the logistics he would in the emergency situation is free?

Young man stop quoting me when you dont even understand YOURSELF!!!

It is not a regular ward its an emergency ward the problem with Op was not logistics, rot or policy.

You know the OP was incompetent and failed in his PRIMARY duty.

My last dont quote me anymore.

dem no dey break person head put knowledge inside

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by orobs93(m): 11:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
And u come here dey type rubbish...may ur stupidity speak 4 u

U suppose dey inside ur house dey grief come here dey type for nairaland

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Babe2sure(f): 11:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
My heart stood still when I read what the OP posted! Why doctors will not treat critically ill or accident victims because of money is beyond me, and why they will not at least, try to stabilize someone that is dying because of money, is what I will never understand. Everything is wrong with our system!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Akainzo(m): 11:33pm On Dec 26, 2015
Leopantro:

But you are wrong. I am a doctor and I work in the Nigerian system. Let me give you a story.
Some time ago I delivered a pre-term baby that is a baby born at 24 weeks . Immediately after birth the baby stopped breathing. The hospital I worked with didn't have oxygen and the two incubators where in use. I used my own oxygen cylinder on the baby and did ambubagged that is cardiac massage in the baby for it to breath normally. We entered my car and rushed to LASUTH. We were told no bed space and were referred to LUTH. We drove to LUTH, parked at the car park and walked over a 7 minutes to the pediatric ward where we were told they had no free incubator and had no electricity supply. We were referred to a private hospital in Surulere where the consultant was not around. We decided to go back to our hospital to continue care for the baby. Please note that all this time I was doing cardiac massage on this baby while someone else drove. On our way back to the hospital, the oxygen finished, the baby turned blue and died. We got back to the hospital and the husband beat me up for not saving the baby. This happened 4 years ago ; till date I have not received a dime for what I did. This is what happens everyday.

Bros, are you saying you carry your own personal Oxygen bottle around at work? Haba!
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 11:33pm On Dec 26, 2015
dohyn:
as expected, the idiot called Cramjones has pulled up a story in the UK to back up his points. like we all don't know the difference between Nigeria and UK is night and day.
If you are who you say you are,then you should be grateful you are in a country that lets you roam the streets and not be in jail. Rabid dog. As if it's not you and your ilk that turned Nigeria to the pitiful state it is now.
Anuofia
Why? What did he do?

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 26, 2015
dohyn:
Anuofia

An incompetent doctor killed a patient for his inactions, and is calling on government to help him resuscitate patients, and you think it is rocket science that this doctor does not deserve to be in prison?

-CramJones

6 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
Lexusgs430:

It is not enough to enact laws and not provide a framework for payments.
What payment plan(s) does the Government have in place to remit payments?

The law doesn't provide for free treatment. What the intends to achieve is to prevent ugly situations such as this where accident victims are left to die without treatment.

The purport of the law is: accept and stabilise the victim before requesting for payment.

It's as simple as that.

I really wish the Op will be forthcoming. We will do everything to ensure that that doctor faces the music. It must start from one person.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Crocz(m): 11:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
klassiquette:

Not wen the people in power are not doing the necessary things to aid the medical needs of the masses ....
Miss...little things like empathy which the doctors both superior and the underling lack could have saved the little lady...but he came here to tell us story how he and his superior practically murdered the young lady.

What exactly does he want people like me to say, tell him he's done well?

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Tolatutu: 11:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
@Op , please put this story on Governor Ambode's Facebook page and you can write something on his Instagram too. I know if he sees this he will surely do something about it. I know him well and he has a wonderful heart and I'm sure if this is brought to his attention he will make sure things change. Please put thus in his Facebook and Instagram and by God's Grace he will see it.

Let's stop this senseless loss if lives

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2015
Akainzo:

Bros, are you saying you carry your own personal Oxygen bottle around at work? Haba!

Don't mind the idiotic liar, that is recommending a first on call doctor to send for a consult whenever an accident and emergency comes to him!

Such jokers we have in Nigeria.

-CramJones

5 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Lexusgs430: 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2015
FemiFaniKayode:

Young man stop quoting me when you dont even understand YOURSELF!!!

It is not a regular ward its an emergency ward the problem with Op was not logistics, rot or policy.

You know the OP was incompetent and failed in his PRIMARY duty.

My last dont quote me anymore.

dem no dey break person head put knowledge inside

I would still quote you, simply because you quoted me.
How do you know I am younger than you?
Our opinions are our individualistic opinions. The more we talk about the positives and negatives, in our society. Hopefully the better it would get!!!
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by ngkessy: 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2015
Dr, please next time save that life, what is deposit, what is bill, u could do above orders an surprisingly d Bills will b paid even wit a reward

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 26, 2015
Tolatutu:
@Op , please put this story on Governor Ambode's Facebook page and you can write something on his Instagram too. I know if he sees this he will surely do something about it. I know him well and he has a wonderful heart and I'm sure if this is brought to his attention he will make sure things change. Please put thus in his Facebook and Instagram and by God's Grace he will see it.

Let's stop this senseless loss if lives

If the idiotic OP does that, I would make sure Gov Ambode gets him arrested. He is killed the victims from his actions and inactions. Nonsense!

-CramJones

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Leopantro: 11:37pm On Dec 26, 2015
cramjones:

I totally understand this scenario. And I tell you this is completely different from what this house officer faced. If you are a doctor, you should not be defending him. In your case, the baby died as a result of a broken system. In this Op's case, the patients died as a result of his incompetence and ineptitude. He did not perform his duty as a first on call. He was scared seeing accident victims, panicked and started making calls without doing nothing!

-CramJones

I had to go back to re - read again to get the full story
1. He triaged the patients. A number of patients presented to him. Out of the first set, he isolated two patients in critical condition that were beyond his capability to care for them and immediately started the protocol for referal.
2. He knew his limit and contacted a senior doctor as well as called for assistance which he got.

The error was the order demanding he should not treat or else, as the first in call he had shown the proper initiative as a doctor to care for patients.
By the way, there were two sets of patients brought in. Why should preferences be given to only one patient out of the 10 brought in?

8 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Crocz(m): 11:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
cosmatika, you and your superior are murderers...and I hope you are hunted in your dreams by the ghost of that young lady you left to die in agony!

Shame on you and your lack of empathy!

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by THUNDER4real(m): 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
slimberie:

Chai! U pple can like to apportion blames o! Receive sense In Jesus Name...on the other note,RIP 2 d dead
U need d sense...
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by onyxo76(m): 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
I guess you have just started the medical profession, i experienced same as a house officer about a decade ago and have seen even worse cases from then onward. All i can tell you is that if you intend to practice here ,then be prepared to face a lot of challenges, there will be times you will try to save patients and they will still not make it. There will be times that you will just won't be able to do anything as things will simply work against you on that fateful day.
take heart bro..

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Nobody: 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
Leopantro:

1. He triaged the patients. A number of patients presented to him. Out of the first set, he isolated two patients in critical condition that were beyond his capability to care for them and immediately started the protocol for referal.
2. He knew his limit and contacted a senior doctor as well as called for assistance which he got.

The error was the order demanding he should not treat or else, as the first in call he had shown the proper initiative as a doctor to care for patients.
By the way, there were two sets of patients brought in. Why should preferences be given to only one patient out of the 10 brought in?

You still don't get it...do you? Why did he make the call in the first place? Is that what a first-on-call suppose to do on sighting accident victims. What happened to the ABCD of resuscitation? What happened to being the first on call? How did he know his limit when he did not even set a simple line? Even if he was referring shouldn't the patients at least have a line for IV access? Are you really defending this profoundly dumb and criminal action by the OP? Are you really that stuupid?

-CramJones

6 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Lexusgs430: 11:39pm On Dec 26, 2015
flamingtiger:

The law doesn't provide for free treatment. What the intends to achieve is to prevent ugly situations such as this where accident victims are left to die without treatment.

The purport of the law is: accept and stabilise the victim before requesting for payment.

It's as simple as that.

I really wish the Op will be forthcoming. We will do everything to ensure that that doctor faces the music. It must start from one person.

And my point is, do you know how many patients have been stabilised in the past, and payment never came through?

5 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Akainzo(m): 11:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
Leopantro:

After identifying the one that was WITHIN his capabilities, WHAT DID HE DO FOR HER?

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Leopantro: 11:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
Akainzo:

You are thinking of the big oxygen cylinder. I had a small canister like the fire extinguisher in my first aid box.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Wahlz(m): 11:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
It's a very sad situation in this country, 'all' our medical personnel need reorientation and retraining..I lost my sister through this same useless system they operate.

very cold an heartless peeps embarassed
Re: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today by Analysiscorner: 11:40pm On Dec 26, 2015
RedCapChief:

1. The HO wasn't not incompetent by calling his senior. That is the first thing to do as a junior officer. You call the senior person once you have an emergency.

2. Nobody is going to sack the MO for instructing the HO to refer all those patients. It has happened severally with me. If you can't treat, you refer.

3. Let us even assume that the HO disobeys the senior and starts treating . . .and then one of the patients dies . . .That is now a case of hospital mortality. . .When the hospital ethics/disciplinary panel gets information that a house-officer was trying to play superhero, I assure you, they will not be merciful

I have worked as a HO in a govt hospital. Have you?
But the point of the argument is not about competency of the HO, but rather about money first before treatment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (23) (Reply)

Proper Way To Use Face-Shield & Face-Mask - Federal Ministry Of Health / I Finally Went For A HIV Test First Time In My Entire Life / Lockdown: Ogun Conducts Online Poll On Whether Lockdown Should Continue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.