Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,039 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:10 PM

A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity (5155 Views)

Franklin Graham's Tweet About Stephen Hawkins And The Reply He Got / A More reasonable Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity / TB Joshua & Ayo Babalola Listed Among World’s Most Famous Prophets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 9:45am On Dec 28, 2015
Some time ago, Stephen hawkin made the famous quote, "Because such a law as gravity exists, the universe can and will create itself from nothing."

While I was still a Christian I heard this quote - I found it strange and I decided to understand what gravity truly was. Now 3 years later I'm here educating those who don't know what the quote meant.

First off before I begin the explanation, I would like to add that in the movie "gods not dead" this quote was called a claim. And not an actual proof that the universe came from nothing. But those of us who understand quantum mechanics and the quantum field theory know that it is a perfectly logical statement. If I say 2 + 2 is 4 then 3 + 1 must also be 4. If gravity exists then the universe must've come from nothing.

Now let's understand gravity, most of you think gravity is a force. . . Wrong gravity is a curvature in space. Here's an analogy - imagine a bucket of water filled to the brim whose water is not allowed to spill out, because the water isn't allowed to spill out, if I force stones into the bucket the atoms of water become tightly packed around these stones. In order to provide space for the stones. Matter is the stone, water is the space. Matter, no matter how small warps space causing space to become tightly packed around it. If a larger object warps the space around it, then any smaller object that passes through the warped space (gravity) the relative velocity is slowed and it is pulled towards the larger object. This model of gravity was proposed by Einstein, most of you probably didn't know, but this is why Einstein was the most respected physicist. This model of gravity predicted gravitational lensing, time dilation, black holes etc
But there are two ways space is warped either it's tightly packed or stretched inwards. Planets warp space to become tightly packed around them, but when a star collapses and occupies it's schwatzchild radius(talk about that later) I.e it occupies significantly less space, about 1/1000 of it 's original size, it stretches or warps space inwards.

Microsoft's new windows 8 and 10 animation mirror what would happen if matter interacts with a black hole or neutron star a phenomenon called "spagettification" . On a Windows loading screen notice how at first the "balls" move uniformly? They are moving through unwarped space. Then they all fall or slide out one by one? They are approaching a black hole. When you approach a black hole, your individual atoms are pulled in one by one and stretched out until you are completely disintegrated. If you want to learn more about gravity I recommend a YouTube channel called PBS spacetime

Now we'll talk about quantum field theory, which states that all quantum particles are vibrations in their respective fields. An electron is simply a fluctuation in the electron field, same goes for all fundamental particles like quarks, bosons, gluons fermions etc
All matter is made up these fundamental particles, like the proton is made up of two up quarks and a down quark held together by a gluon.

Physicists have successfully fluctuated Higgs field creating a boson out of nothing, physics is cool rryy? 8-)

Now back to hawkin's statement, and the bucket analogy. Space would've been undisturbed just like the bucket until there were massive fluctuations in the quantum fields or in the case of the bucket till I put the stones in, and because space can't expand into anything or in the case of the bucket, the water couldn't spill out - gravity was created.

Hope I've educated some minds, mods lalasticlala seun I hope this makes fp.

This was the first episode of physics with seun. smiley

3 Likes

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by CoolUsername: 10:31am On Dec 28, 2015
*slow clap*
This is very informative.
But it may have posted in the wrong section.

2 Likes

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 28, 2015
CoolUsername:
*slow clap*

This is very informative.

But it may have posted in the wrong section.

Sadly there is no science section

2 Likes

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 28, 2015
Funny how that dumb pitfalls of human thread made the fp yet knowledge like this is intentionally kept In the dark ishilove, mynd44.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 11:26am On Dec 28, 2015
This is pure FANTASY!
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:
This is pure FANTASY!
oh great one, enlighten us.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 28, 2015
Hmmmm..... Quite Informative. I eagerly await the update. Please mention once you're done
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:
About what? I should explain to you why SUPERMAN isn't fiction?
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:

About what? I should explain to you why SUPERMAN isn't fiction?

I'm not sure if my post included superman.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by plaetton: 12:44pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

Lol.

This knee-jerk reaction is expected.

In fact, he is very angry.
How dare you throw things ,words and ideas at him that he cannot comprehend.

His mind is more wired towards supernatural mumbo jumbo.

He is too dumb to even realize that quantum physics tries to demystify and explain the supernatural mumbo jumbo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

I'm not sure if my post included superman.
Wait! Isn't stephen hawkings that im.becile with an electronic voice?
Well. What do I expect from one who is mentally re.tarded.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.

He is too dumb to even realize that quantum physics tries to demystify and explain the supernatural mumbo jumbo.

Did 'he' mention that he believes in the supernatural? Keep deluding yourself.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by CoolUsername: 1:02pm On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:

Don't ever insult someone for a genetic deficiency he can't control. Besides, even with his condition he has achieved far more than you have all your life even with all your faculties intact

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:

Stephen Hawkins currently occupies the same chair Isaac Newton did when he was alive at the British Academy of science.

I think you're just angry that you're a nobody and he had achieved far more than you ever will in ten lifetimes.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Maamin(m): 1:13pm On Dec 28, 2015
Now the flaws of the initial quotes and the bucket of water analogy is that, in the case of the bucket of water there is a causation or force that causes the effect which is greatly supported even by Newtons first law of motion when dropping the piece of stone in the water which is entirely Not the same as the true space and time.

Now what am driving at is that the dent in space time continuum or as speculated by Albert Einstein in his laws of relativity did not come about out of absolute NOTHING.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

Stephen Hawkins currently occupies the same chair Isaac Newton did when he was alive at the British Academy of science.

I think you're just angry that you're a nobody and he had achieved far more than you ever will in ten lifetimes.
lol@angry. My definition of success lies with me. So I can't be angry at someone else's "success".
My point still remains: your op is a joke and Hawkings was deluded.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 28, 2015
Maamin:
Now the floss of the initial quotes and the bucket of water analogy is that, in the case of the bucket of water there is a causation or force that causes the effect which is greatly supported even by Newtons first law of motion when dropping the piece of stone in the water which is entirely Not the same as the true space and time.

Now what am driving at is that the dent in space time continuum or as speculated by Albert Einstein in his laws of relativity did not come about out of absolute NOTHING.
So you are saying that the DENT came from what?
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by KingEbukaNaija: 1:27pm On Dec 28, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.

I strongly doubt this . Instead you are the one .
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 28, 2015
CoolUsername:
Don't ever insult someone for a genetic deficiency he can't control. Besides, even with his condition he has achieved far more than you have all your life even with all your faculties intact
It wasn't a genetic flaw. It started in his late teens.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
Maamin:
Now the floss of the initial quotes and the bucket of water analogy is that, in the case of the bucket of water there is a causation or force that causes the effect which is greatly supported even by Newtons first law of motion when dropping the piece of stone in the water which is entirely Not the same as the true space and time.

Cause and effect have nothing to do with quantum mechanics, you're quoting a classical law of physics in a quantum mechanics discussion.

Always research before making statements, all the laws you know, thermodynamics general relativity don't govern the quantum world. They have an entirely different set of laws.

Therefore cause and effect do not apply - to tell the truth physicists do not entirely understand the quantum world.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:
lol@angry. My definition of success lies with me. So I can't be angry at someone else's "success".
My point still remains: your op is a joke and Hawkings was deluded.

This thread is for humanoids that posses a brain, please refrain.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 28, 2015
Quantum entanglement, waves particle duality, wave function collapse

These are all quantum phenomena that Baffles physicist all over the world
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Maamin(m): 1:42pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

Cause and effect have nothing to do with quantum mechanics, you're quoting a classical law of physics in a quantum mechanics discussion.

Always research before making statements, all the laws you know, thermodynamics general relativity don't govern the quantum world. They have an entirely different set of laws.

Therefore cause and effect do not apply - to tell the truth physicists do not entirely understand the quantum world.

You are greatly mistaken bro! Talking about gravity being formed out of nothing or rather not a force in itself is ridiculous that is why Newton law contradict that analogy u gave up there. But I will give you the benefit of doubt. Physicists understand pretty well the quantum of our physical world and so many researches has been conducted successfully to bring us the knowledge of quantum physics right up to where we are today. I will rather agree with you if you had said "Physicists do not entirely understand the meta physical world."
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Maamin(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:

So you are saying that the DENT came from what?

Who dropped the piece of stone in the bucket of water analogy? undecided
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

[bold]This thread is for humanoids that possess a brain, please refrain[/bold].
Then this a spite thread. Who are you expecting intelligent replies from then? VOOKS? WINNER01? IFENESS, KINGEBUKANAIJA abi na SUKKOT or na PLAETTON? LMAO! cheesy
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
Maamin:

You are greatly mistaken bro! Talking about gravity being formed out of nothing or rather not a force in itself is ridiculous that is why Newton law contradict that analogy u gave up there. But I will give you the benefit of doubt. Physicists understand pretty well the quantum of our physical world and so many researches has been conducted successfully to bring us the knowledge of quantum physics right up to where we are today. I will rather agree with you if you had said "Physicists do not entirely understand the meta physical world."

I despise people who do not make research before spewing trash

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/insight/2012/08/18/einstein_discovered_that_gravity_is_not_a_force_but_a_curvature.html

As for your imaginary metaphysical world, that's your problem.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
Maamin:

GOD
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
Maamin:

What does this have to do with anything?
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 28, 2015
timonski:
GOD

If I could block you, I would.
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Maamin(m): 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

What does this have to do with anything?

Answer

timonski:
GOD
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

If I could block you, I would.
I would love to see try
Re: A Comprehensive Break Down Of Stephen Hawkin's Famous Quote On Gravity by Maamin(m): 1:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
Joshuabase:

I despise people who do not make research before spewing trash

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/insight/2012/08/18/einstein_discovered_that_gravity_is_not_a_force_but_a_curvature.html

As for your imaginary metaphysical world, that's your problem.

You lack insight of what am talking about, for you to consider the metaphysical as imaginary world shows that you know nothing. Cheers!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

RCCG 50-days Fasting And Prayer 2024 Prayer Points / The Difference Between The Righteous And The Wicked - Olamide Obire / Is Tithe For Christians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.