Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,581 members, 7,812,900 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

.. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / .. (3113 Views)

Is Isreal A Good Country To Live / Is Cyprus A Good Country To Go And Hustle / Urgent: Advice On Which Country Abroad To Do A PGD Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

.. by stillmaticOG(m): 1:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
Re: .. by pansophist(m): 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
stillmaticOG:
Please i have 3million naira i intend using to fund my masters (other xpenses not included) just need a good country or school abroad where this money will be enough to fund the program. Hoping to here from you guys..thanks

What do you want to study? do you have any location in mind? for example, do you intend to do it in Africa, the Americas, Europe etc
Re: .. by stillmaticOG(m): 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2015
pansophist:

What do you want to study? do you have any location in mind? for example, do you intend to do it in Africa, the Americas, Europe etc
anywhere in americas or europe
Re: .. by stillmaticOG(m): 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2015
Guys please i will really appreciate great advice i have a bsc in computer science and will favour a msc anywhere in america or europe but so far the tuition fees charged by schools i have visited online is alarming
Re: .. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
Why don't you apply for half scholarship and use the remaining to pay. Look at Japanese and south Korean universities too. Whatever you do don't attend a university that is not in the top 100 worldwide. The importance of ranking can't be overemphasised.
Re: .. by thesoj: 5:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
Germany. Tuition is free. They offer lots of MSc programs in English. Yearly living expenses are approximately 8040 Euros or thereabouts. This thread is a gem: https://www.nairaland.com/2098236/general-german-visa-enquiries-part

Also, use www.daad.de/en to search for schools that offer your course. Make sure to use filters to limit the search to English language programs with tuition less than 500 Euros.

Canada (assuming you have a 2:1 CGPA and above, you can obtain research funding).
See this post by a Nairalander: https://www.nairaland.com/2824928/how-secure-scholarship-admission-canadian#41366171

Critically read these posts on the Canada student visa thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/2557850/travelling-canada-part-9/224#41342550
https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8/28#34729512
Re: .. by worry359(m): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
stillmaticOG:
Please i have 3million naira i intend using to fund my masters (other xpenses not included) just need a good country or school abroad where this money will be enough to fund the program. Hoping to here from you guys..thanks

Sorry but some facts that you must consider.
Your funds will not cover you for schooling in the U.K. o U.S.A.
(unless you have exceptional grades to obtain a scholarship.)

Might I suggest North Cyprus?
Ask on this section and ask advice from Mr wip7 who is helpful and honest.
Beware of anyone asking for PM, E-mail or secret phone calls, they will try to rob you.
Honest people will answer on line.

https://www.nairaland.com/351402/north-cyprus/212

1 Like

Re: .. by thesoj: 5:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
While ranking is a good measure of research quality and institutional reputation and pedigree, it is often overrated.

Most academic rankings are based on PhD research quality (and related funding & publications), NOT quality of teaching or education in general.

There are amazing institutions all over the world that are not in the top-100 yet offer an amazing education that opens lots of doors.

I speak from the experience of having attended two foreign universities within a wide range of the spectrum (one of which is top-100, while the other isn't.).

OP: if you can get into a top-100 school, please do so by all means. But please by all means cast your net wide enough, don't limit yourself to top-100 schools. There are many excellent schools not in the top-100.
tensazangetsu:
Why don't you apply for half scholarship and use the remaining to pay. Look at Japanese and south Korean universities too. Whatever you do don't attend a university that is not in the top 100 worldwide. The importance of ranking can't be overemphasised.

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 28, 2015
thesoj:
While ranking is a good measure of research quality and institutional reputation and pedigree, it is often overrated.

Most academic rankings are based on PhD research quality (and related funding & publications), NOT quality of teaching or education in general.

There are amazing institutions all over the world that are not in the top-100 yet offer an amazing education that opens lots of doors.

I speak from the experience of having attended two foreign universities within a wide range of the spectrum (one of which is top-100, while the other isn't.).

OP: if you can get into a top-100 school, please do so by all means. But please by all means cast your net wide enough, don't limit yourself to top-100 schools. There are many excellent schools not in the top-100.
Well I think it depends on the individual but ranking matters to me a lot. Aside getting an education people go to school to get links and the richest and most successful people in the world send their kids to the elite schools. Quality education is power. Op you can look at the MEXT scholarship offered by the Japanese government and there's another one offered by the Korean government too also try Hong Kong. They have good universities. Don't limit your search to Europe and America. Asia has lots of good schools which are highly ranked and won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Re: .. by thesoj: 5:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
I strongly agree with the bolded. You are very correct that one of the greatest benefits of a top school is the contacts you make.

The OP has his work cut out for him if he wants to go to a top-100 school with funding or a scholarship. It is indeed very possible, but would be less difficult if the OP didn't need funding.

I would still recommend that the OP cast his net wide, but I see your point very clearly.
tensazangetsu:

Well I think it depends on the individual but ranking matters to me a lot. Aside getting an education people go to school to get links and the richest and most successful people in the world send their kids to the elite schools. Quality education is power. Op you can look at the MEXT scholarship offered by the Japanese government and there's another one offered by the Korean government too also try Hong Kong. They have good universities. Don't limit your search to Europe and America. Asia has lots of good schools which are highly ranked and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
thesoj:
I strongly agree with the bolded. You are very correct that one of the greatest benefits of a top school is the contacts you make.

The OP has his work cut out for him if he wants to go to a top-100 school with funding or a scholarship. It is indeed very possible, but would be less difficult if the OP didn't need funding.

I would still recommend that the OP cast his net wide, but I see your point very clearly.
The top schools in America and UK are expensive there are still top schools in other countries too and that 3 million naira would be very enough for him.
Re: .. by thesoj: 6:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
Ok fair enough.
I would surmise that you are in (or went to) a top-100 school in Asia?
tensazangetsu:

The top schools in America and UK are expensive there are still top schools in other countries too and that 3 million naira would be very enough for him.
Re: .. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 28, 2015
thesoj:
Ok fair enough.
I would surmise that you are in (or went to) a top-100 school in Asia?
Am still an undergraduate. Doing a bsc in marine engineering but wanna do my masters after in naval architecture but I don't wanna go below top 100 and I have been doing my research and I have found out that the Asian schools which are in the top 100 are not expensive(except those in Singapore). The ones in Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong are relatively cheap even far cheaper than some private universities in Nigeria. And not just Asia there are lots of other European countries with very good universities which aren't as expensive as those in the USA or UK like Sweden, Belgium and the nerthelands. He could also apply for the erasmus mundus scholarship program.
Re: .. by thesoj: 7:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
Nice one. You are very correct about all you've written. Nigeria needs more information-driven critical thinkers like you!

I am really impressed by your knowledge of all these even though you are still an undergraduate.

tensazangetsu:

Am still an undergraduate. Doing a bsc in marine engineering but wanna do my masters after in naval architecture but I don't wanna go below top 100 and I have been doing my research and I have found out that the Asian schools which are in the top 100 are not expensive(except those in Singapore). The ones in Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong are relatively cheap even far cheaper than some private universities in Nigeria. And not just Asia there are lots of other European countries with very good universities which aren't as expensive as those in the USA or UK like Sweden, Belgium and the nerthelands. He could also apply for the erasmus mundus scholarship program.

1 Like

Re: .. by stillmaticOG(m): 8:04pm On Dec 28, 2015
Thanks guys i really appreciate your advice and will make more research..tho one of the reasons why i am so interested in europe or america is because i plan to stay there and nationalize after completion of the program as i wouldn't want to come back to nigeria
Re: .. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 28, 2015
stillmaticOG:
Thanks guys i really appreciate your advice and will make more research..tho one of the reasons why i am so interested in europe or america is because i plan to stay there and nationalize after completion of the program as i wouldn't want to come back to nigeria
Brother that's what we all want o. If you plan on naturalising abeg remove UK from your plans

2 Likes

Re: .. by ifegy: 5:58am On Dec 29, 2015
Fyi-list Of Scholarships, Grants And Fellowships For International Students:

http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/field-of-study/
Re: .. by thesoj: 7:17am On Dec 30, 2015
I agree with tensazangetsu, remove UK from your list. Intergration and naturalization may also be tough in Asian countries, but it depends on you.

North America and Europe seem to be the top options for this purpose.

For North America, it is quicker and shorter to naturalize in Canada than USA. But then with a graduate degree in the sciences or engineering, getting permanent residency in the US becomes less difficult tho it still takes longer and is still not as straightforward as in Canada. Integration in these two countries is a piece of cake if you are open-minded. I live in the USA.

I am not as intimately knowledgeable about Europe naturalization, but you would have to be willing to ultimately learn the language of the country you go to. Both Germany and The Netherlands are the top countries that come to mind. They both have English language MSc programs, and both are known to be generally friendly to immigrants. I recently researched these two countries for a family member looking to pursue an MSc.

stillmaticOG:

2 Likes

Re: .. by suxes2005(m): 10:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
Whao, top notch info on here.

Op, just open your mind to possibilities and you'll surely get the right school.

Research is key and you've gotten enough info here.
Re: .. by just2okworld(f): 11:21am On Jan 01, 2016
worry359:

Sorry but some facts that you must consider.
Your funds will not cover you for schooling in the U.K. o U.S.A.
(unless you have exceptional grades to obtain a scholarship.)

Might I suggest North Cyprus?
Ask on this section and ask advice from Mr wip7 who is helpful and honest.
Beware of anyone asking for PM, E-mail or secret phone calls, they will try to rob you.
Honest people will answer on line.

https://www.nairaland.com/351402/north-cyprus/212

Happy new year worry359
Re: .. by ziinee: 8:49pm On Jan 01, 2016
stillmaticOG:
University of capetown is just abit above 100 in global ranking and in one year you will not spend more than 1.5.Then you can do a lot with your change.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Ladies Should Be Avoided Abroad / More Pics From Jamaica / Family Reunion Visa(german Embassy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.