Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? (3574 Views)

El-rufai Closes Govt House Clinic, Redeploys Doctors, Nurses To General Hospital / Nigeria Is Getting To Shutdown Just Like Phone Battery We Charge. See why / Mbu Deployed As AIG In charge Of Lagos, Ogun States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by AloyEmeka9: 11:03pm On Jun 11, 2009
Osun striking nurses murder 9yr-old- boy • Remove life-support oxygen

ABIODUN FELIX, Osogbo

THE on-going strike by nurses, health workers and Joint Action Workers of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital (LATH), Osogbo yesterday claimed its first casualty, with the death of a nine-year-old patient, Taiwo Olorunfunmi.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/11/710.html

Daily Champion gathered that the striking nurses forcefully removed the life-support oxygen apparatus from the lad who had been on admission in the hospital since Sunday.

Taiwo was rushed to the hospital last Sunday after suddenly taken ill during a church service.

The workers who announced the strike on Wednesday were said to have mobilised themselves, moving from ward to ward halting treatment of patients.

It was gathered that all entreaties by Taiwa’s father who works with the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), to spare his son was rebuffed by the striking workers who forcefully discharged all patients on admission.

Meetings held with the State Commissioner for Health, Mr. Lanre Afolabi, was inconclusive as the commissioner reportedly told the workers that it is the governor that can rescind the decision.

Confirming the strike, the hospital’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Mr. Ayo Adeyemo, said the hospital was on skeletal services.

Meanwhile, it was wailing galore yesterday at Alekuwodo, Oshogbo residence of the deceased as preparations were on to commit his body to mother earth.

It was gathered that all the workers excluding resident doctors were protesting what they called arbitrary tax deduction by the Osun State Government.

The hospital is jointly owned by Oyo and Osun States.

The striking workers said the tax they pay was high compared to other health institutions.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by AloyEmeka9: 11:04pm On Jun 11, 2009

Daily Champion gathered that the striking nurses forcefully removed the life-support oxygen apparatus from the lad who had been on admission in the hospital since Sunday.
Why? women are not known for heinous acts like this over money.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by lannre(m): 11:09pm On Jun 11, 2009
Failed Nation,they will wait for Strike and crisis before they attend to workers agitations. Of course their family dont attend those Hospital. but they know how to increase their sitting,furniture,hardship,committee, and Hell allowance. God is watching us
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Sagamite(m): 11:17pm On Jun 11, 2009
If this is true, then jail no doubt.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by dinggle: 11:22pm On Jun 11, 2009
This is sad, when nurses and doctors go and strike they have the right no to accept new patients but not right what to ever to remove patients who had already been admitted before the strike. This is murder and we all call for justice, if there is any left.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by showbobo(m): 11:39pm On Jun 11, 2009
ONLY in Nigeria that any firm/organisation/authority can decide to go on strike at any time. . . God Bless Nigeria may the poor boy's soul R.I.P
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by MrCrackles(m): 11:42pm On Jun 11, 2009
Pathetic!
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by ifyalways(f): 11:49pm On Jun 11, 2009
I hope this aint true angry
Too bad and sad to be true.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by ow11(m): 11:52pm On Jun 11, 2009
lannre:

Failed Nation,they will wait for Strike and crisis before they attend to workers agitations. Of course their family dont attend those Hospital. but they know how to increase their sitting,furniture,hardship,committee, and Hell allowance. God is watching us

Sad thing is they have no shame travelling overseas for treatment. Those nurses sef na wa, couldn't they leave the boy in the care of the father without killing him? I think the leader deserves to cool her heels in jail for a couple of years angry
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by AmAlone: 12:09am On Jun 12, 2009
if me my pikin that kyn tin happen to we dey go court immediately
The kind bill wey i go demand for damages gon fit kill the judge, give my lawyer heart attack, cause rapture to take place almoslt immediately!
Not too small, not too much but enough to buy the United Nations!
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 12, 2009
This is quite sad, not to mention heartless. Did the nurses not know that removing his life support was going to kill him? Why did they go ahead to do it? Even if they were going on strike, they should have, out of mercy for the boy, left the life support. Afterall he was not the who brought about the arbitrary tax deduction so why make him pay so dearly for it?
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by drossy(m): 1:21am On Jun 12, 2009
may his soul rest in peace!!
BUT if the govt was caring, they wouldnt let the nurses go on strike,
everyone is making so much noise about the nurses, healthcare in nigeria is dead and gone!
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Oxone(m): 4:02am On Jun 12, 2009
see what 9ja has been reduced to

sadd cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by platinumnk(f): 4:40am On Jun 12, 2009
they need to take healthcare serious.

undecided
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by walestar(m): 6:32am On Jun 12, 2009
If I was there, I will be among those who will destroy the hospital because when such happened before in Lagos, all the doctors had to run away because the hospital almost set up by fire, it was as a result of their strike that claimed a boy life then
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Kelvinj(m): 6:43am On Jun 12, 2009
STRIKE ACTION. I've heard of doctors nd nurses goin 2 strike, but 2 d extent of remove O2 frm a dying boy! Dat is ridiculous. This is an act witout mercy. The hospital should be charged wit murder. Its aceptable nt 2 receive patients but 2 abandon they critical 1s dat hv bin dere, itz very bad. But why cant d gov. Take dis important sectors serious at least 4 1s.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by toba1909(m): 7:01am On Jun 12, 2009
This is what the two squanders(Oyinlola & Alao-Akala) has for the citizens of their states.
They both have the money to throw big parties, to pay the nurses allowances is now a problem for them.
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

May Taiwo rest with the LORD.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by bawomolo(m): 7:04am On Jun 12, 2009
malpractice lawsuit.

there license is about to be revoked with some heavy fines.

They both have the money to throw big parties, to pay the nurses allowances is now a problem for them.

the strike was over tax and not allowance
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by toba1909(m): 7:08am On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

the strike was over tax and not allowance

Heavy tax or allowances.
Why should they place a heavy tax on them?
Are there no measures on which they should be taxed?
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by bawomolo(m): 7:16am On Jun 12, 2009
toba1909:

Heavy tax or allowances.
Why should they place a heavy tax on them?
Are there no measures on which they should be taxed?

taxation is worth your career and jail time?
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by biola44: 7:54am On Jun 12, 2009
it wont be d last, what a pity, angry
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Sagamite(m): 8:21am On Jun 12, 2009
drossy:

may his soul rest in peace!!
BUT if the govt was caring, they wouldnt let the nurses go on strike,
everyone is making so much noise about the nurses, healthcare in nigeria is dead and gone!

So killing a child intentionally is less than heavy taxation?
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 12, 2009
Sagamite:

So killing a child intentionally is less than heavy taxation?
Wondering the same thing, but then, I'm not even surprised.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 12, 2009
walestar:

If I was there, I will be among those who will destroy the hospital because when such happened before in Lagos, all the doctors had to run away because the hospital almost set up by fire, it was as a result of their strike that claimed a boy life then

Are you insane?

What about other patients in the hospital, or was Taiwo the last?
What will be the difference between you and the evil nurses?
Where would you, Taiwo's father and the rest of the community go to for treatment after the destruction?
Who will build another hospital for the community?

Taiwo is dead and gone.
And the best thing the community can do for him and others that may likely end up like him is tackling the problems that led to the strike. While they are at that, they should sue the hospital's management.

On the other hand, I wouldnt be surprised to find out that Taiwo would have survived if he was quickly rushed to the hospital instead of 20 prayer warriors snuffing half of his life in the church.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by mayrho(m): 9:01am On Jun 12, 2009
shocked Chineke me
This is the true example of two wrongs never make a right
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Godalone(m): 9:06am On Jun 12, 2009
It is sad
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Jarus(m): 9:08am On Jun 12, 2009
So callous. Haba. We are talking about life here, and they are talking about money. Too bad.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 12, 2009
mayrho:

shocked Chineke me
This is the true example of two wrongs never make a right

Now is the time to start righting the first wrong, otherwise the second wrong is bound to happen and thereafter having so many people go the way Taiwo went.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by oludashmi(f): 9:15am On Jun 12, 2009
This is really sad sad sad sad sad angry angry

I am really bothered about these:
Is the life a man equivalent to any amount of money not to talk of tax?
Must the boy or his family be the one to pay for the state government's misconduct?
How can the nurses be so heartless that they forcefully remove an oxygen from a surviving child?
If they are going on strike for their right and will not attend to old or new patients , must they deliberately kill the ones on ground?

Ah  angry shocked this is the worst news I have heard this year. God will pay the particular nurse who removed the oxygen in multiple folds.

May God comfort the family of the boy and I pray that his soul find rest.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by omofola(f): 9:18am On Jun 12, 2009
No matter the cause of the strike, the Nurses shouldn't have resulted in killing the young boy as a means of getting their message across to the Government, it has been known that nurses are heartless people, death means nothing to them, the nurses should all be arrested so as to be able to fish out the main person or the actual group of nurses that removed the life-support oxygen and be prosecuted.

And the Government need to do something about the arbitrary tax deduction situation so that patients can be treated and not killed anymore by the nurses .

1 Like

Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 12, 2009
Nothing should be considered worth more than human life.
However, nigerians should learn to tackle the root causes of their problems instead of being sentimental all the time.

This sad incident is bound to repeat itself sooner or later if the major causes of the strike are not adequately addressed. Of which when it happens, we will troop out once again to either burn the hospital and nurse or shout and pray: "god punish the nurses" while we wait for it to occur again.
Re: Can We Charge These Nurses With Murder? by shoboy9: 9:29am On Jun 12, 2009
Worthless nation.
While no sane person supports murder (tells u how many insane we have in naija), there is no way a strike by junior workers will occur without them removing certain things and locking them up for the duration. But the problem is magnified when the strike affects vital areas like health.
I am not certain anyone of us can escape guilt if we allow strikes to occur in the health sector. It is a collective failure of a generation. We are killing the future of the nation with our efusal to be responsible for what occurs around us.
Why the arbitary tax? Is this a govt or area boy in power? Why is it that people have to resort to violence before they are taken seriously? Do we still have any shame left among us?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Cabinet - I Am Under Tremendous Pressure - Jonathan / Yoruba Council Of Elders (YCE) Wants Tambuwal Tried With Bankole / Zambian Firm To Purchase Nigerian Power Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.