Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,137 members, 7,852,865 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:26 AM

Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? (4530 Views)

10 Ways Youths React When Their Pastors Say They Should Not Engage in Sex / Police Shut Enugu Church As Pastors, Supporters Engage In Free-for-all / CHRISTLIKE SELFLESSNESS - Mark Of A True Christian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by ifele(m): 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2009
The truth is that Romans humiliated and murdered Jesus (Yashua) and gambled for his clothes. They are the enemy

of Jesus not his friends. From the very beginning they were the enemy to this day they are still the enemy. They

destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem. They massacred thousands of Jesus' followers. They are the enemy of God

YHVH and salvation. Whats the Roman Army today? NATO.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jun 12, 2009
you and osisi seem to be at odds

Osisi was referencing Christian roman centurions.

though you are highlighting what i asked earlier, how Christians could be soldiers in a nation that persecuted them
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by jagunlabi(m): 6:17pm On Jun 12, 2009
Lol!Without these romans that you are so judging and condemning,you wouldn't be a christian today.It was by their grace that christianity reached you in the form it did.Show them some appreciation for giving you Jesus and the bible.
ifele:

The truth is that Romans humiliated and murdered Jesus (Yashua) and gambled for his clothes. They are the enemy

of Jesus not his friends. From the very beginning they were the enemy to this day they are still the enemy. They

destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem. They massacred thousands of Jesus' followers. They are the enemy of God

YHVH and salvation. Whats the Roman Army today? NATO.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:25pm On Jun 12, 2009
Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do? And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you.  And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.   -- Luke 3:12-14

Three instructions for soldiers:

[list]
[li]Terrify no man with the view of extortion or plunder[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Do not oppress any man[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Be content with allowances[/li]
[/list]

In the absence of the above vices it is perfectly alright and legal for a Christian to become a soldier.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 7:29pm On Jun 12, 2009
oyb:

whats with the derailing  and chest thumping/hubris  smiley

osisi, I agree, i don't know the bible, so i am waiting for you to give me verses from the NT that directly justify warfare. not interpretations, which are what your quotes about the soldier really are.

The mere fact that there are christian soldiers in the NT who the Bible tells me God was pleased with and no command was given of them to leave their professionion,is enough.
The Bible doesn't tell me it's OK to eat Isiewu and drink fanta yet I indulge in it once in a while.

the roman army existed before Christianity, and it was charged with expanding the roman empire by force. There are records of pederasty in the Roman army. so how can a devout  Christian agree to be part of a body that was engaged in aggressive expansion of a nation against hapless neighbours, among other things  ? the roman army wa

First of all Cornelius was not a Roman.
Secondly you are making the thread ridiculous and losing focus.
Again,if a nation is engaged in warfare,a Christian soldier can carry out the duty of his nation,it is scriptural.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him, Master, what shall we do? And he said unto them, Exact no more than that which is appointed you. -- Luke 3:12-13

Three instructions for soldiers:

[list]
[li]Terrify no man with the view of extortion or plunder[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Do not oppress any man[/li]
[/list]
[list]
[li]Be content with allowances[/li]
[/list]

In the absense of the above vices it is perfectly alright and legal for a Christian to become a soldier.

Thank you for that scripture.
A soldier walked up to Jesus asking him what he should do and he advised him against violence and extorsion.
Violence because soldiers are known to sometimes carry their occupation outside the confines for which it is legal but within the parameters of his job,he is a soldier and should be a good one at that.

I like the way the new King James puts it.

14 Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, “And what shall we do?”
So he said to them, “Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.”
That passage there does it for me
If being a soldier was outside the will of God,Christ would have told the soldier to quit his profession but he didn't.
He instead spoke to him about vices he ought to keep away from,as a good soldier.

Oh I just love the word of God.
So complete
Glory be to God
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2009
debosky:

How is this contradiction? Jesus never said 'do not be a soldier' or 'it is a sin to be a soldier'.

What Jesus preaches is a spirit of non-aggression, not weakness and complete submission to any form of attack.

Thank you.
The slaves of allah try as much as they can to compare the daily violence of Islam with Christianity and attempt to see Christianity through the eyes of Islam.
A soldier should be meek and posess all the fruits of the Spirit and be filled with the goodness of the Lord but in time of war,he is also expected to be a good soldier and do his duty as expected.
Why else would the scriptures liken the Christian life in so many instances to the life of a soldier?
The Bible calls us soldiers of the Lord
The Bible is called the sword of the Spirit
The Bible tells us to put on the whole armour of God.
The Bible recognises that soldering is a noble profession and wants us as ready,quick and sharp as career soldiers who must not be caught unawares.
Why on earth would the Bible use a profession that Christians are abhored from going into to compare the Christian life to?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 7:47pm On Jun 12, 2009
Why on earth would the Bible use a profession that Christians are abhored from going into to compare the Christian life to?

wasn't a prostitute used for God's work in the old testament.

I don't think you want to use this argument madam.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 7:49pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

wasn't a prostitute used for God's work in the old testament.

I don't think you want to use this argument madam.

Is Christianity anywhere compared to prostitution?
can you stick to the same argument?
God can use a stone if he chooses to
He can use anyone for his purposes, for the benefit of his people so what's your point?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 8:24pm On Jun 12, 2009
$osisi:

Is Christianity anywhere compared to prostitution?
can you stick to the same argument?
God can use a stone if he chooses to
He can use anyone for his purposes, for the benefit of his people so what's your point?

does God using a soldier confirm that a christian can be soldier?

I won't say so.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 8:25pm On Jun 12, 2009
ifele:

Its is ok for anyone to use violence to protect themselves from oppression even if its to the extent of killing if there

is a threat against ones life and service to God YHVH. Some people will say but Jesus said we should not live by

the sword and that if we are struck we should not strike back. But the Israelites were given commandments to

wage war against the pagan and abhorrent Canaanites and to proscribe certain sinners according to the Law.

So there is nothing wrong with defending yurself during persecution Or forming armies to defend the

commandments of God and His Messiah.

Oyb expected to hear that Christians ought to be quiet and get trampled upon.
Or that Abdullahi can barge into your home and rape your 6 year old daughter and you watch and pray rather than pick up a gun and blow his brains off.

The Bible is obviously against aggression as an individual.
Do not convert people by force or physically harm people
The Bible also asks us to be loyal to our government.
If a Christian feels led to join the army,that is OK.
The lord asks me to preach his word but if my workplace says to not preach to patients in their premises,I would obey the authorities I'm under.

By his same argument,he could also ask

1.Can a Christian be police officer
2.Can a Christian be a lawyer
3.Can a Christian be a border patrol officer
4.Can a Christian be a licensed gun owner
5.Can a Christian own a gun shop
6.Can a Christian live in luxury
7.Can a Christian be a politician
8.Can a Christian protect himself when attacked
9.Can a Christian take someone to court
10.Can a Christian be a correction officer/warden/prison security
11. can a Christian be an armed guard

And the answer to all the above is[size=24pt] yes[/size].

Let everyone be fully persuaded in their own hearts.

Anyone who is led by the Spirit of God is his child even soldiers.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 8:26pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

I won't say so.

We are not at the same frequency dear.
your arguments are random in nature wth no bearing to the discussion.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 8:42pm On Jun 12, 2009
$osisi:

We are not at the same frequency dear.
your arguments are random in nature wth no bearing to the discussion.

word,
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by debosky(m): 8:44pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

I won't say so.
Definitely - use of a soldier is not confirmation, but this has never been the justification/evidence provided on this thread.

Cornelius wasn't a soldier used by God, he WAS a Christian. Paul gave advice to CHRISTIAN soldiers regarding their conduct. What other proof do you want?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 9:00pm On Jun 12, 2009
debosky:

Definitely - use of a soldier is not confirmation, but this has never been the justification/evidence provided on this thread.

Cornelius wasn't a soldier used by God, he WAS a Christian. Paul gave advice to CHRISTIAN soldiers regarding their conduct. What other proof do you want? 

i was dealing with a point osisi was trying to make. i'm not looking for proofs from the bible.

Would you drop the bomb on nagasaki if you were a pilot?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by noetic2: 9:05pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

i was dealing with a point osisi was trying to make. i'm not looking for proofs from the bible.

Would you drop the bomb on nagasaki if you were a pilot?

why do u keep recycling unintelligent questions?

why not think deeply and ask a thought provoking question?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 9:06pm On Jun 12, 2009
noetic2:

why do u keep recycling unintelligent questions?

why not think deeply and ask a thought provoking question?

says the Islam basher. now back off.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by noetic2: 9:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

says the Islam basher. now back off.

why should I? . . . .thou ignorant atheist.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 9:08pm On Jun 12, 2009
noetic2:

why should I? . . . .thou ignorant atheist.

because i'm God to you niggas  cool
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by noetic2: 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

because i'm God to you niggas  cool

who is GOD? what is HIS ontology?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 9:12pm On Jun 12, 2009
noetic don't waste your saliva on bawomolo
He makes little sense most of the time
you might as well be responding to becomerich grin
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 9:13pm On Jun 12, 2009
noetic2:

who is GOD? what is HIS ontology?

I'm too complex to be comprehended.  You just can't understand me no matter how you try.

Have faith in me and stop being a doubting thomas.

$osisi:

noetic don't waste your saliva on bawomolo
He makes little sense most of the time
you might as well be responding to becomerich grin

you do say some stupid stuff for a supposedly matured woman
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2009
Ephesians 6 compared the physical soldier with a spiritual soldier of Christ. If we werent meant to be physical soldiers the bible would never have used that analogy.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by noetic2: 10:17pm On Jun 12, 2009
bawomolo:

I'm too complex to be comprehended.  You just can't understand me no matter how you try.

Have faith in me and stop being a doubting thomas.

thou has made no sense.
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 12, 2009
A soldier walked up to Jesus asking him what he should do and he advised him against violence and extorsion.
Violence because soldiers are known to sometimes carry their occupation outside the confines for which it is legal but within the parameters of his job,he is a soldier and should be a good one at that.

you are contradicting yourself . how can i be a soldier at war and not be violent? is there a non violent way of attacking my enemy on the battlefield? is killing a man a non violent act

soldiers engage in acts of war. based on that a christain soldier going by everything you've said, christains are free to do any of the above without fear of rebuke from God.

how can you reconcile being a christan with this?  these people who did this weren't tried as  war criminals. so they were doing nothing wrong. do you think Jesus would see it that way?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by JJYOU: 10:21pm On Jun 12, 2009
oyb:

you are contradicting yourself . how can i be a soldier at war and not be violent? is there a non violent way of attacking my enemy on the battlefield? is killing a man a non violent act

soldiers engage in acts of war. based on that a christain soldier going by everything you've said, christains are free to do any of the above without fear of rebuke from God.

how can you reconcile being a christan with this?  these people who did this weren't tried as  war criminals. so they were doing nothing wrong. do you think Jesus would see it that way?
WHY UNA NO DEY TIRE? SEE MOLE KILLING THEMSELVES
[size=18pt]17 die in Islamic sect–security task force clash[/size]
From TIMOTHY OLA, Maiduguri
Saturday, June 13, 2009

Seventeen persons, including traders, were shot in Maiduguri, Borno State on Thursday morning, following a clash between members of the state special security task force code named, Operation Flush, and an Islamic sect.

By mid day, palpable apprehension permeated the city, as it was feared the incident might degenerate into a religious upheaval.
Saturday Sun gathered that members of a famous Islamic sect, Mohammed Yusuf Movement, taged a funeral procession along the Customs area, apparently to bury some of their members who reportedly died in a motor accident on their way from Biu, where they had gone for an Islamic programme (Dawa) the previous night.

Sources said two commercial motorcyclists, who were stopped by soldiers and police officers attached to the joint patrol task force for violating traffic rules, had identified themselves as members of the sect on a mission to bury their deceased colleagues.

“The Operation Flush people arrested them because they rode recklessly and did not wear helmets. But these people started arguing with the soldiers and police, claiming they were going for Aikin Ibadah (God’s work). It was then their people, who were coming from behind, started shouting Allahu Akbar (Allah is great) and tried to challenge the authority of the security men. Unfortunately, the task force men thought the sect was out to foment trouble and that was how they started shooting sporadically,” an eyewitness told Saturday Sun.

It was gathered that the decision of the members of the Islamic sect to force security men to release the commercial motorcyclists compelled the Operation Flush officers to shoot, fearing possible attack. Fourteen members of the sect were shot while stray bullets reportedly hit two traders around the Customs market.

The victims of the clash, it was gathered, are critically lying ill at the accident and emergency unit of the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH).

Acting Chief Medical Director of the hospital and Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee, Dr Alim Madziga, told journalists that the hospital’s emergency ward had not receive such number of accident or emergency patients, adding that they were compelled to deploy most of their medical officers to attend to the patients because of the magnitude of the victimsh and the degree of injuries.
“We receive quite a number of injured persons in the early hours of today (Thursday). A total of 17 persons were brought to the accident and emergency department and 15 were admitted while two were treated and discharged,” Alim disclosed.

He explained that 14 members of the group were critically injured from gun shot, while three got wounds from stray bullets. He gave assurance on the determination of the medical personnel to carry out their duties.

The commandant of the Operation Flush, Col Ohanatu, was not available in when our correspondent visited his office, while his deputy, John Abang, an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), told Saturday Sun on phone that he could not volunteer any information as he was busy with other schedules. The Commissioner of Police, Mr Chris Dega, could not be reached. He was said to be attending security meeting at the Government House at the time of filing this report on Thursday.
However, security has been beefed up in the metropolis and public buildings to forestall possible breakdown of law and order, as members of the sect were alleged to have vowed to fight back.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2009/june/13/newsbreak-13-06-2009-001.htm
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by sosisi(f): 10:26pm On Jun 12, 2009
oyb:

how can you reconcile being a christan with this?  these people who did this weren't tried as  war criminals. so they were doing nothing wrong. do you think Jesus would see it that way?

and they gave you a 2 1 at that your university ?
they ought to take it back
I'm almost giving up on you
Can a soldier wake up and shoot down his next door neighbour because he's a soldier?
Should a police officer knack your head with a batton just because he carries one ?
answer that first let's see what grade you're in
grin
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2009
A soldier should be meek and posess all the fruits of the Spirit and be filled with the goodness of the Lord but in time of war,he is also expected to be a good soldier and do his duty as expected.
Why else would the scriptures liken the Christian life in so many instances to the life of a soldier?
The Bible recognises that soldering is a noble profession and wants us as ready,quick and sharp as career soldiers who must not be caught unawares.

osisi, you seem to be confusing parables and metahphors with real life

do soldiers fight with bibles? do meek soldiers win wars ? you are shifting into the absurd . do you want to claim that the marines on parris island are expected to be meek?

The Bible also asks us to be loyal to our government.
'

how can you not physically harm people during war

offttopic, great - so what would you say about Americans turning Russians against their government during the cold war? isn't that unbilblical? turning people
to treason against their government?

The Crusades were a series of religion-driven military campaigns waged by much of Latin Christian Europe. The specific crusades to regain control of the Holy Land were fought over a period of nearly 200 years, between 1095 and 1291. Other campaigns in Spain and Eastern Europe continued into the 15th century. The Crusades were fought mainly against Muslims, although campaigns were also waged against pagan Slavs, Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox Christians, Mongols, Cathars, Hussites, Waldensians, Old Prussians, and political enemies of the popes.[1] Crusaders took vows and were granted an indulgence for past sins.[1]

The Crusades originally had the goal of recapturing Jerusalem and the Holy Land from Muslim rule and were launched in response to a call from the Eastern Orthodox Byzantine Empire for help against the expansion of the Muslim Seljuk Turks into Anatolia. The term is also used to describe contemporaneous and subsequent campaigns conducted through to the 16th century in territories outside the Levant[a] usually against pagans, heretics, and peoples under the ban of excommunication[2] for a mixture of religious, economic, and political reasons.[3] Rivalries among both Christian and Muslim powers led also to alliances between religious factions against their opponents, such as the Christian alliance with the Sultanate of Rum during the Fifth Crusade.  

so how to explain that?

offtopic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion

A centurion (Latin: centurio; Greek: κεντυρίων), also hecatontarch in Greek sources (Greek: ἑκατόνταρχος or, in Byzantine times, κένταρχος) was a professional officer of the Roman army after the Marian reforms of 107 BC. Most centurions commanded a century (centuria) of 80 men, but senior centurions commanded cohorts, or took senior staff roles in their legion.

Centurions took their title from the fact that they commanded a century. Centuries were so-called because they originally numbered roughly 100 men. Just after that they numbered 60 men each and were paired into maniples, one with greater authority. After the Marian reforms, however, the standard establishment was set at 80 men.

so what tribe was Cornelius?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by JJYOU: 10:34pm On Jun 12, 2009
oyb:

osisi, you seem to be confusing parables and metahphors with real life

do soldiers fight with bibles? do meek soldiers win wars ? you are shifting into the absurd . do you want to claim that the marines on parris island are expected to be meek?
'

how can you not physically harm people during war

offttopic, great - so what would you say about Americans turning Russians against their government during the cold war? isn't that unbilblical? turning people
to treason against their government?

The Crusades were a series of religion-driven military campaigns waged by much of Latin Christian Europe. The specific crusades to regain control of the Holy Land were fought over a period of nearly 200 years, between 1095 and 1291. Other campaigns in Spain and Eastern Europe continued into the 15th century. The Crusades were fought mainly against Muslims, although campaigns were also waged against pagan Slavs, Jews, Russian and Greek Orthodox Christians, Mongols, Cathars, Hussites, Waldensians, Old Prussians, and political enemies of the popes.[1] Crusaders took vows and were granted an indulgence for past sins.[1]

so how to explain that?

offtopic

so what tribe was Cornelius?
YOUR DEALER DEY TOWN ABI?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 12, 2009
hope fully the pics will appear this time.

one picture shows the iconic vietnam picture

the other shows tha nagasaki mushroom

oya osisi expalin to me since i am so slow how as you put it

since you seem to think that you can wage war (i don't know if it spiritual or real war) without harming people.

Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by JJYOU: 10:41pm On Jun 12, 2009
how does these fotos excuse the babarick killings you guys do in the name of your mullahs?
Re: Can A True Christian Engage in Warfare ? by bawomolo(m): 10:42pm On Jun 12, 2009

joshua did bring down the walls of jericho by singing christmas carols.

with God, any thing is possible.

JJYOU:

how does these fotos excuse the babarick killings you guys do in the name of your mullahs?

the thread is about christianity not islam.

we all know about violence in islam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Christianity Losing The Battle On Nairaland? / Yet Another Scandal In The Catholic Church / LADIES Be Careful Of The Men You Let Into Your Heart And Enter Your Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.