Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of (7536 Views)

How To Use Google Scientific Calculator Or Calculate With Google Search / 9 Scientific Breakthroughs We Are Going To Witness In The Next Few Years. / 10 Best Android Apps Of 2015 You Should Have Installed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 31, 2015
Man is amazing! With the help of Science, man is able to uncover, discover and invent new things. Scientists and researchers all over the world are working hard to make and discover new and exciting things that will help and shape the life of mankind today and in the future.
The scientific breakthroughs of 2015 will amaze and inspire new generations of young and curious scientists to push the boundaries of the world we know even further.
Here are some of the greatest scientific breakthroughs of the year in no particular order.

I. New Google AI (Artificial Intelligence) Can Learn Language and Carry on Conversation

Google’s developers have just created a new artificial intelligence that is able to learn to speak and model language. It can have a complex conversation, and can even “respond” to questions about morality and philosophy. During testing, Google’s AI mainly helped users solve computer problems, but this development represents a step forward in the software industry.

"Wow! Seems like we have reached the Computer Singularity - the point where artificial intelligence equals human intelligence. The implications of this is so breathtakingly awesome (and a bit scary too) that I can't type it all here.

Can't wait to ask Google's AI deep philosophical questions like:

"Does my crush like me back?"
"Is bae cheating on me?"
"Where is the nearest suya joint?"
"Where can I find free Wi-Fi?"
"When will FFK have sense?"
"Can I brew guinness stout at home?"
"When will thunder fire Boko Haram?"
"Where can I mistakenly pick N10m on the road?"
"How can I make my BB battery charge sharp sharp?" e.t.c

Talking about making batteries charge sharp sharp,

II. Scientists Develop Batteries That Can Charge in Seconds
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/battery.jpg?cfaea8[/img]

Engineers at the University of California have successfully developed a super capacitor that can store as much as a typical battery. The super capacitor is able to charge in a matter of seconds as opposed to hours. This technology will impact the development of hybrid and electric vehicles, space technology, and consumer electronics.

"And we'll all have enough battery power to ping, chat, browse and live happily ever after"

Still on amazing batteries,

III. Tesla Announces Powerwall Solar Battery
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/powerwall_front_angle.jpg?cfaea8[/img]

Tesla created the Powerwall Home Battery, the first product from Tesla Energy. The stationary battery (rechargeable lithium-ion) can power an entire household, off the grid. The product converts solar energy to power a household.

"About time our state governors invests heavily in solar energy to solve our power problems....at least on the domestic level for a start. But unfortunately, greed can't make them see clearly."

Talking about seeing clearly,

IV. 8-Minute Surgery Could Give Everyone Perfect Vision
Optometrist Dr. Garth Webb from British Colombia invented a revolutionary lens that instantly give patients perfect vision. The lens called Ocumetics Bionic Lens can prevent cataracts and could be implanted through an 8-minute surgery. The lens will give perfect vision without the need for glasses.

"Awesome! Just wondering if there's a lens that could make one see through clothes."

*smiles innocently*

*adjusts halo*

V. First Man-Made Leaf, with Implications for Space Travel, Is Invented
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Silk-Leaf-by-Julian-Melchiorri_dezeen_01_644.jpg?cfaea8[/img]

A graduate from the Royal College of Art, Julian Melchiorri, invented the first artificial, biologically functional leaf. Melchiorri made the leaf from chloroplasts and silk protein that is capable of absorbing carbon dioxide and light, and will release breathable oxygen.

"Yeah you just read it. Man can create Life.

As in, L.I.F.E."

Talking about space travel, GOOD NEWS!

VI. We Have Found Water on Mars
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/1428960220613.jpg?cfaea8[/img]

In April 2015, Curiosity rover was able to find water below the Martian surface. This discovery contradicts theories that Mars was too cold and arid for liquid water to exist.

"With liquid water discovered on Mars, all its set for the colonization and terraforming of the Red Planet. In a few decades to come, we'll be seeing things like:

"Holiday trip to Mars loading.......90%"
"Interplanetary marriages"
"Mars Airways"
"Bruno Mars to perform in Mars"
"ChokolateBoss contests for Mars President"

You might ask, "When (not a matter of if) we settle in Mars, how do we grow crops in space since crops are crucial for our survival?"
Good question. The answer is in the next heading.

VII. ISS (International Space Station) Astronauts Has Eaten The First Vegetables Grown in Space

In a major milestone on The Road To Mars Mission, astronauts living on the ISS ate the first crop of vegetables ever grown in space on August 10, 2015. The crop, a bed of lettuce called "Veg-01," was planted in July. The crew will dig in to half the crop, with the other half being sent back to Earth for analysis.

*high-fives the astronauts*

VIII. Duke Announces First Laboratory-Grown Contracting Human Muscle

[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Contracting-Human-Skeletal-Muscle-1-768x437.jpg?cfaea8[/img]

A team at Duke University has successfully grown a human skeletal muscle, in a lab, that contracts and responds to external stimuli (pharmaceuticals, electrical impulses, etc) like the way a native tissue does.
This discovery could revolutionize the field of medicine.

"Cool. If they can grow perfect six-packs muscles and give it to me, that wouldn't be a bad idea"

IX. Possible New Vaccine Blocks All HIV Strains

[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/aids.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
The Scripps Research Institute have created a new drug candidate that could potentially work as a new kind of vaccine effective against HIV-1, HIV-2, and simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV).

"Hollup Hollup! This is not a free ticket to start skin-diving anyhow cos if you get HIV/AIDS, you're on your own. The disease might have killed you before the vaccine gets to Naija. Don't do something you end up regretting later"

Talking about regretting stupid decisions, it turns out you no longer have to regret having undesirable tattoos because

X. A Tattoo Removal Cream Has Been Invented by a Ph.D. Student

[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/161214416e59f9190930bf731dd2e04a.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
Have a bad tattoo? Worry no more because Alec Falkenham, a Ph.D. student at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, have just invented a topical cream that could remove embarrassing or unwanted tattoos. The cream kills the cells that hold the tattoo pigment without damaging the surrounding cells, unlike laser removal.

"So there's hope for those of you who regret and will regret tattooing bae's name/face on your body"

XI. Audi Invents “E-Diesel
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Audi-e-diesel.jpg?cfaea8[/img]

Auto makers are shifting their focus on developing more eco-friendly vehicles which has prompted German auto maker, Audi, to make a new combustion engine fuel called “e-diesel.” The e-diesel is just water and carbon dioxide. The fuel is made by taking electricity from renewable sources. This will create hydrogen through reversible electrolysis. Then, the hydrogen is combined with CO2 and the resulting reactions produce a liquid of long-chain hydrocarbons.

"Oil companies will not like this.

I can make fuel easily with that technique. And I give it free. Contact me for supplies. Females only."

XII. Scientists Figure out Actual Average Size of Male Penis

"Hollup Hollup!
Should this kind of news be classified as a major scientific breakthrough?

Yels.
It should be.
In fact its the biggest breakthrough here."

*straight face*

British Journal of Urology International published a study that says that the average size of an erect male penis is 5.16 inches long or 13.12 centimeters. The study synthesized data from 17 other academic papers and the combined measurements of over 15,000 men from all around the world.
The study also concluded that there is no strong evidence linking penis size to other physical features including height, body mass index, or shoe size.

"Average penis size is 5.16 inches? Ordinary 5.16 inches? Woohoo!"
So I'm well above the av *coughs coughs*

How I (and some of you) feel after knowing the average size is ordinary 5.16 inches

Still on phallus matters,

XIII. Doctors Give Man the First Bionic Penis

When Scotland resident Mohammed Abad was six years old, he was hit by a car and dragged almost 600 feet, an incident which tore off his penis.

Eyaaaaaaaa!

But a University of London team has been hard at work for the last three years crafting Abad a brand new 8-inch penis, made with skin grafts from his forearm. It can even become erect at the push of a button. Science!

You can now take back your Eyaaaaa.

I'm sure Abad be like:

8 inches with ability to get erect at the bush of a button.

Abad is the man. A round of applause for Abad.

XIV. Cancer Patient Receives 3D-Printed Sternum and Ribs

The first surgical procedure of its time, a 54-year-old Spanish man received a custom, 3D-printed sternum and ribs. The man had chest wall sarcoma, a tumor that grows in the chest wall. His had grown around his sternum and in order to remove it, doctors also had to remove the sternum and part of his ribcage.
However, using high-resolution CT scans of his chest, the Australian medical device company Anatomics was able to 3D-print an accurate implant, and let the surgical team accurately plan their procedure.

"3D-printed sternum and ribs? How?

Oh laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd! "

XV. Scientists Say EM Drive Propulsion Is Actually Possible

Though previously thought to be impossible to achieve and accused of violating the laws of physics, scientists have presented some promising results.
The EM Drive (short for electro magnetic drive) uses electromagnetic microwave cavities to directly convert electrical energy to thrust without the need to expel any propellant - a pretty important factor when you are in space and any kind of propellant will alter your course

"How this can be done is something I cannot even begin to imagine"

XVI. NASA Finds Kepler-452b: Earth's Older, Larger Cousin

The Kepler Space Telescope has been tracking down planets for years now, but in July 2015 NASA announced that it had found Kepler-452b, an Earth-like planet with the same size orbit, around the same kind of star (a G Star), with the same year length, as Earth.
What makes this exoplanet more special than the others found by Kepler? The sunshine would be very similar to that on Earth, so plants brought there would be like "sure, lets photosynthesize!"

"There MIGHT be life there.....even intelligent life. There might be people there wondering if there could be people on Earth.
Just guessing o, I'm no Alien conspiracy theorist."

Sauces:
The web.
Journals.
Yours Truly

So what are your thoughts? What major scientific breakthrough(s) do you think was/were not listed?
I'm a sucker for news like this.

Cc: Lalasticlala, Feraz, mkmyers45, UjSizzle, Johnnydon, Noneroone, Harmthe, Chukxie, Areacode213, Psylas, haiti007, Afrobasic, 100Cents, elspycey

9 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by khalhokage(m): 6:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
Very nice.
You should include the sources after each entry.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 31, 2015
Whites have gone past hunger, bad roads, extreme poverty, high unemployment, bad leadership etc they're now chasing space.

well, in Nigeria the biggest discovery of 2015 is Sai Buhari...!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by am0s(m): 6:45pm On Dec 31, 2015
hmm
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 6:57pm On Dec 31, 2015
And new advancements in quantum computing.
Announcing the D-Wave 2X Quantum Computer
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 31, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
Whites have gone past hunger, bad roads, extreme poverty, high unemployment, bad leadership etc they're now chasing space.

Obviously blacks (esp sub-saharan blacks) are not evolving intellectually as a group at the same pace as other westerners and some asians.
Painful truth!
There's just sth about blacks.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Feraz(m): 7:21pm On Dec 31, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
It sure is! A nation where superstition and dogma rule the day! Where people take religion more serious than the development of the nation as if the supreme being worshipped forbids people developing their nations (even the bible had to make it clear that faith without works is dead, it also goes ahead to say - my people perish for lack of knowledge); a nation where the youths would rather spend time analysing the lives of celebrities, knowing the latest ride and houses acquired by them; where entertainment is rewarded much more than someone who wins in intellectual competition; a nation where we won't patronize another because we do not share the same belief and are not from the same tribe.

1 Like

Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 31, 2015
Craigston:
And new advancements in quantum computing.
Announcing the D-Wave 2X Quantum Computer

Don't know much about quantum computing though but from what I read in ur link, looks like a computing speed barrier has been overcome. I'm yet 2 understand d practical applications of it. Could u help out a little Sir?
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Don't know much about quantum computing though but from what I read in ur link, looks like a computing speed barrier has been overcome. I'm yet 2 understand d practical applications of it. Could u help out a little Sir?
I too have not researched much on this field (still in undergraduate studies) but I plan to.
Here is a list of possible applications of quantum computing either solely or in combination with other models like HPC (High Performance Computing):
www.dwavesys.com/quantum-computing/applications
It's very useful for solving problems where the number of possible solutions or approaches increases exponentially with increasing variables: getting the best possible solutions in a shorter time is very important.
For example, analyzing user behavior on Nairaland (e.g, the probability that a user will comment on this topic) is not an easy task. Given a small sample space of, say, lalasticlala, ChokolateBoss, Jregs Jacob05, blueeyedgeek and cbrass, it may be easier. But with each new user you add, given their various interests, the time taken to compute the probabilities of each user commenting on various sections becomes very large. (This explanation is rather vague).
Another area of application is in factorization of primes (an operation useful in cryptography).
That's just the little I know. I wish Nigeria can join the STEM race soon.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Feraz(m): 8:53pm On Dec 31, 2015
And ChokolateBoss comes with his Science/Engineering thread.
ChokolateBoss:
Man is amazing! With the help of Science, man is able to uncover, discover and invent new things. Scientists and researchers all over the world are working hard to make and discover new and exciting things that will help and shape the life of mankind today and in the future.
The scientific breakthroughs of 2015 will amaze and inspire new generations of young and curious scientists to push the boundaries of the world we know even further.
Here are some of the greatest scientific breakthroughs of the year in no particular order.
I. New Google AI (Artificial Intelligence) Can Learn Language and Carry on Conversation
Google’s developers have just created a new artificial intelligence that is able to learn to speak and model language. It can have a complex conversation, and can even “respond” to questions about morality and philosophy. During testing, Google’s AI mainly helped users solve computer problems, but this development represents a step forward in the software industry.
"Wow! Seems like we have reached the Computer Singularity - the point where artificial intelligence equals human intelligence. The implications of this is so breathtakingly awesome (and a bit scary too) that I can't type it all here.
Can't wait to ask Google's AI deep philosophical questions like:
"Does my crush like me back?"
"Is bae cheating on me?"
"Where is the nearest suya joint?"
"Where can I find free Wi-Fi?"
"When will FFK have sense?"
"Can I brew guinness stout at home?"
"When will thunder fire Boko Haram?"
"Where can I mistakenly pick N10m on the road?"
"How can I make my BB battery charge sharp sharp?" e.t.c
Talking about making batteries charge sharp sharp,
For those who want to study this, edX offers courses on AI. Who knows if the best programmer will come from this country?

II. Scientists Develop Batteries That Can Charge in Seconds
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/battery.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
Engineers at the University of California have successfully developed a super capacitor that can store as much as a typical battery. The super capacitor is able to charge in a matter of seconds as opposed to hours. This technology will impact the development of hybrid and electric vehicles, space technology, and consumer electronics.
"And we'll all have enough battery power to ping, chat, browse and live happily ever after"
This will sell well in Nigeria.

Still on amazing batteries,
III. Tesla Announces Powerwall Solar Battery
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/powerwall_front_angle.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
Tesla created the Powerwall Home Battery, the first product from Tesla Energy. The stationary battery (rechargeable lithium-ion) can power an entire household, off the grid. The product converts solar energy to power a household.
"About time our state governors invests heavily in solar energy to solve our power problems....at least on the domestic level for a start. But unfortunately, greed can't make them see clearly."
Tesla? The same Elon Musk ish or another? If it's Elon Musk, well, I am not surprised. If he can achieve this with SpaceX of which the people there have been asking
lalasticlala
to make the thread grace FP as history was made, then this should be a piece of cake.

Talking about seeing clearly,
IV. 8-Minute Surgery Could Give Everyone Perfect Vision
Optometrist Dr. Garth Webb from British Colombia invented a revolutionary lens that instantly give patients perfect vision. The lens called Ocumetics Bionic Lens can prevent cataracts and could be implanted through an 8-minute surgery. The lens will give perfect vision without the need for glasses.
"Awesome! Just wondering if there's a lens that could make one see through clothes."
*smiles innocently*
*adjusts halo*
Where did I watch something similar? Yeah! An anime called terraformars! Me thinks the idea to see clearly was gotten from animals – eagle, owl etc.

V. First Man-Made Leaf, with Implications for Space Travel, Is Invented
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Silk-Leaf-by-Julian-Melchiorri_dezeen_01_644.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
A graduate from the Royal College of Art, Julian Melchiorri, invented the first artificial, biologically functional leaf. Melchiorri made the leaf from chloroplasts and silk protein that is capable of absorbing carbon dioxide and light, and will release breathable oxygen.
"Yeah you just read it. Man can create Life.
As in, L.I.F.E."
Will this be applied to the earth also as nations try to curb greenhouse gases?

Talking about space travel, GOOD NEWS!
VI. We Have Found Water on Mars
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/1428960220613.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
In April 2015, Curiosity rover was able to find water below the Martian surface. This discovery contradicts theories that Mars was too cold and arid for liquid water to exist.
"With liquid water discovered on Mars, all its set for the colonization and terraforming of the Red Planet. In a few decades to come, we'll be seeing things like:
"Holiday trip to Mars loading.......90%"
"Interplanetary marriages"
"Mars Airways"
"Bruno Mars to perform in Mars"
"ChokolateBoss contests for Mars President"
You might ask, "When (not a matter of if) we settle in Mars, how do we grow crops in space since crops are crucial for our survival?"
Good question. The answer is in the next heading.
Well, people still believe life is not feasible there as there are solar storms or so in which Mars cannot repel due to having a weak magnetic field. Prolly in the future when the planet is terraformed, then it may be possible.

VII. ISS (International Space Station) Astronauts Has Eaten The First Vegetables Grown in Space
In a major milestone on The Road To Mars Mission, astronauts living on the ISS ate the first crop of vegetables ever grown in space on August 10, 2015. The crop, a bed of lettuce called "Veg-01," was planted in July. The crew will dig in to half the crop, with the other half being sent back to Earth for analysis.
*high-fives the astronauts*
I hope to visit one day! wink

VIII. Duke Announces First Laboratory-Grown Contracting Human Muscle
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Contracting-Human-Skeletal-Muscle-1-768x437.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
A team at Duke University has successfully grown a human skeletal muscle, in a lab, that contracts and responds to external stimuli (pharmaceuticals, electrical impulses, etc) like the way a native tissue does.
This discovery could revolutionize the field of medicine.
"Cool. If they can grow perfect six-packs muscles and give it to me, that wouldn't be a bad idea"
Do I see superhumans being created here? shocked grin

XI. Audi Invents “E-Diesel
[img]http://cdnimg.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Audi-e-diesel.jpg?cfaea8[/img]
Auto makers are shifting their focus on developing more eco-friendly vehicles which has prompted German auto maker, Audi, to make a new combustion engine fuel called “e-diesel.” The e-diesel is just water and carbon dioxide. The fuel is made by taking electricity from renewable sources. This will create hydrogen through reversible electrolysis. Then, the hydrogen is combined with CO2 and the resulting reactions produce a liquid of long-chain hydrocarbons.
"Oil companies will not like this.
I can make fuel easily with that technique. And I give it free. Contact me for supplies. Females only."
This is a wake up call to Nigeria to start diversifying. Oil may not be used as much in the future as it is now. A thread about this was opened but as usual, it was derailed. Countries are really pursuing alternatives to oil while we are here shouting 'our oil' and pumping more money towards the exploration of oil in the Chad Basin. Just like wood was the in thing, then whale oil, then coal etc. There is a power plant being built in France called ITER and it makes use of fusion technology instead of fission.

XII. Scientists Figure out Actual Average Size of Male Penis
"Hollup Hollup!
Should this kind of news be classified as a major scientific breakthrough?
Yels.
It should be.
In fact its the biggest breakthrough here."
*straight face*
British Journal of Urology International published a study that says that the average size of an erect male penis is 5.16 inches long or 13.12 centimeters. The study synthesized data from 17 other academic papers and the combined measurements of over 15,000 men from all around the world.
The study also concluded that there is no strong evidence linking penis size to other physical features including height, body mass index, or shoe size.
"Average penis size is 5.16 inches? Ordinary 5.16 inches? Woohoo!"
So I'm well above the av *coughs coughs*

How I (and some of you) feel after knowing the average size is ordinary 5.16 inches
grin grin grin

Still on phallus matters,
XIII. Doctors Give Man the First Bionic Penis

When Scotland resident Mohammed Abad was six years old, he was hit by a car and dragged almost 600 feet, an incident which tore off his penis.
Eyaaaaaaaa!
But a University of London team has been hard at work for the last three years crafting Abad a brand new 8-inch penis, made with skin grafts from his forearm. It can even become erect at the push of a button. Science!
You can now take back your Eyaaaaa.
I'm sure Abad be like:

8 inches with ability to get erect at the bush of a button.
Abad is the man. A round of applause for Abad.
A big leap in the medical world (Biomedical Engineering - while in my country, the Engineers are pissed they manufacture what the doctor uses and should therefore be held in the same prestige with doctors while the doctors feel the world revolve around them and they deal directly with life). But nothing as good as the natural one - waking up in the morning to see it is still working; that feeling that one just gets an erection (even when not thinking about sex or about to make love) when blood flows into the phallus is second to none. grin

XIV. Cancer Patient Receives 3D-Printed Sternum and Ribs

The first surgical procedure of its time, a 54-year-old Spanish man received a custom, 3D-printed sternum and ribs. The man had chest wall sarcoma, a tumor that grows in the chest wall. His had grown around his sternum and in order to remove it, doctors also had to remove the sternum and part of his ribcage.
However, using high-resolution CT scans of his chest, the Australian medical device company Anatomics was able to 3D-print an accurate implant, and let the surgical team accurately plan their procedure.
"3D-printed sternum and ribs? How?
Oh laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd! "
Another big plus in the medical field!

XV. Scientists Say EM Drive Propulsion Is Actually Possible

Though previously thought to be impossible to achieve and accused of violating the laws of physics, scientists have presented some promising results.
The EM Drive (short for electro magnetic drive) uses electromagnetic microwave cavities to directly convert electrical energy to thrust without the need to expel any propellant - a pretty important factor when you are in space and any kind of propellant will alter your course
"How this can be done is something I cannot even begin to imagine"
Hmmm! Sci-fi coming to reality? Teempakguy, myphysics, dekatron, come and respond to this.

XVI. NASA Finds Kepler-452b: Earth's Older, Larger Cousin

The Kepler Space Telescope has been tracking down planets for years now, but in July 2015 NASA announced that it had found Kepler-452b, an Earth-like planet with the same size orbit, around the same kind of star (a G Star), with the same year length, as Earth.
What makes this exoplanet more special than the others found by Kepler? The sunshine would be very similar to that on Earth, so plants brought there would be like "sure, lets photosynthesize!"
"There MIGHT be life there.....even intelligent life. There might be people there wondering if there could be people on Earth.
Just guessing o, I'm no Alien conspiracy theorist."
Johnydon22, your field! Oya, food is done.

Nice thread man! For those you didn't include, here and here
For the first link, it is something about editing the genomes of human embryos!

1 Like

Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2015
Craigston:

I too have not researched much on this field (still in undergraduate studies) but I plan to.
Here is a list of possible applications of quantum computing either solely or in combination with other models like HPC (High Performance Computing):
www.dwavesys.com/quantum-computing/applications
It's very useful for solving problems where the number of possible solutions or approaches increases exponentially with increasing variables: getting the best possible solutions in a shorter time is very important.
For example, analyzing user behavior on Nairaland (e.g, the probability that a user will comment on this topic) is not an easy task. Given a small sample space of, say, lalasticlala, ChokolateBoss, Jregs Jacob05, blueeyedgeek and cbrass, it may be easier. But with each new user you add, given their various interests, the time taken to compute the probabilities of each user commenting on various sections becomes very large. (This explanation is rather vague).
Another area of application is in factorization of primes (an operation useful in cryptography).
That's just the little I know. I wish Nigeria can join the STEM race soon.
Awesome. Thank you. The explanation u labeled as vague is pretty clear.
Nigeria join the STEM race? Lol
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Feraz(m): 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Awesome. Thank you. The explanation u labeled as vague is pretty clear.
Nigeria join the STEM race? Lol
The bolded, we can only hope!
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 10:09pm On Dec 31, 2015
Feraz:
For those who want to study this, edX offers courses on AI. Who knows if the best programmer will come from this country?
Collaboration is the defending sexy stuff for programmers. I hope Nigeria will do well in IT. And I'll be taking some courses on edX this year.

This is a wake up call to Nigeria to start diversifying. Oil may not be used as much in the future as it is now. A thread about this was opened but as usual, it was derailed. Countries are really pursuing alternatives to oil while we are here shouting 'our oil' and pumping more money towards the exploration of oil in the Chad Basin. Just like wood was the in thing, then whale oil, then coal etc. There is a power plant being built in France called ITER and it makes use of fusion technology instead of fission.
grin grin grin
What!? That's very ambitious and also very ingenious. We have all we need to become a green economy soon. We just need to harness it. I saw an article about Europe's plan to build a massive solar plant in the Sahara Desert and channel all the energy generated to Europe. We need to act fast. Partner with some Asian countries to develop the technology quickly and solve our energy problem. We can then sell excess energy to other African countries. Europe should go find their own desert.

A big leap in the medical world (Biomedical Engineering - while in my country, the Engineers are pissed they manufacture what the doctor uses and should therefore be held in the same prestige with doctors. Awhile the doctors feel the world revolve around them and they deal directly with life).
I actually wanted to study Biomedical Engineering but I'm now in bed with Computer Science. It's a wonderful world of possibilities.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by surrogatesng: 10:10pm On Dec 31, 2015
very nice post
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Feraz(m): 11:36pm On Dec 31, 2015
Craigston:

Collaboration is the defending sexy stuff for programmers. I hope Nigeria will do well in IT. And I'll be taking some courses on edX this year.

What!? That's very ambitious and also very ingenious. We have all we need to become a green economy soon. We just need to harness it. I saw an article about Europe's plan to build a massive solar plant in the Sahara Desert and channel all the energy generated to Europe. We need to act fast. Partner with some Asian countries to develop the technology quickly and solve our energy problem. We can then sell excess energy to other African countries. Europe should go find their own desert.

I actually wanted to study Biomedical Engineering but I'm now in bed with Computer Science. It's a wonderful world of possibilities.
Imagine the bolded. cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 12:50am On Jan 01, 2016
Feraz:
It sure is! A nation where superstition and dogma rule the day! Where people take religion more serious than the development of the nation as if the supreme being worshipped forbids people developing their nations (even the bible had to make it clear that faith without works is dead, it also goes ahead to say - my people perish for lack of knowledge); a nation where the youths would rather spend time analysing the lives of celebrities, knowing the latest ride and houses acquired by them; where entertainment is rewarded much more than someone who wins in intellectual competition; a nation where we won't patronize another because we do not share the same belief and are not from the same tribe.
Well said! They say youths are the leaders of tomorrow but with d mentality of d average nigeria youth, let d Grandpas continue ruling.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 1:05am On Jan 01, 2016
Feraz:
Yes o brother its what's gives me joy. Not religion or superstition or d craps we're used 2 seeing on blogs/social media.

Feraz:
Tesla? The same Elon Musk ish or another? If it's Elon Musk, well, I am not surprised. If he can achieve this with SpaceX of which the people there have been asking to make the thread grace FP as history was made, then this should be a piece of cake.
Yes its the same Elon Musk. That guy is arguably the most important man alive right now. Heck, we should build a statue in his honor

Feraz:
Will this be applied to the earth also as nations try to curb greenhouse gases?
Yes it will be

Feraz:
Well, people still believe life is not feasible there as there are solar storms or so in which Mars cannot repel due to having a weak magnetic field. Prolly in the future when the planet is terraformed, then it may be possible.
The plan is not just to go Mars and take pictures. There's a plan to terraform it to make life abundant there. The conditions there just need some tweaking which won't be as hard as say, trying to terraform d sun grin (ok that's impossible)

Feraz:
I hope to visit one day! wink
Me too brother

Feraz:
Do I see superhumans being created here? shocked grin
Being created from scratch, I heavily doubt. I won't use d word 'impossible' here. But being tweaked to have super powers, hell yea why not?

Feraz:
Wetin black man sabi? We're too shortsighted bro

Feraz:
Nice thread man! For those you didn't include, here and here
For the first link, it is something about editing the genomes of human embryos!

Ah! How could I forget gene-editing?
Thanks for d links Sir. Will check them out
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 1:50am On Jan 01, 2016
Lovely thread!!!!! I hope it graces FP
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 7:57am On Jan 01, 2016
Feraz:
Imagine the bolded. cry cry cry cry cry
It's very annoying. I wonder what they take us for.
This article highlights their filth, especially Britain's.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 8:29am On Jan 01, 2016
Informative thread.
Lalasticlala take it to home page na.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by cbrass(m): 10:22am On Jan 01, 2016
Joavid:
Informative thread.

Lalasticlala take it to home page na.

Are you kidding me? cheesy does this post says "Tiwa Savage forgot her panties in Dbanj's Car " now that's what they move to front page these days I hope they change in this new year wink

1 Like

Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by cbrass(m): 10:24am On Jan 01, 2016
Craigston how are you doing? As for that stem you mentioned just forget it. We often see things from the spiritual angle in this country. Common BVN, some already see it as anti-christ pet project
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 11:37am On Jan 01, 2016
cbrass:
Craigston how are you doing? As for that stem you mentioned just forget it. We often see things from the spiritual angle in this country. Common BVN, some already see it as anti-christ pet project
I'm fine cbrass. Don't mind them. They are just self-deceivers. They are not spiritual, just dogmatic and superstitious. Most of them do not understand the prophecies they so fear: if they did, they'd be calm even if the anti-Christ bellows fire in their face. BTW, how's the ministry going? U never invite me come see ur congregation o. Hehehehehe. And apostle Larry Wall and his followers just released improved their doctrine and called it Perl 6. Have you checked it out?

I wish you a happy new year - one filled with prosperity and success. Explore your limits and push the boundaries of your abilities this year. I hope we become much better than we are before the end of this year.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by cbrass(m): 11:50am On Jan 01, 2016
Craigston:

I'm fine cbrass. Don't mind them. They are just self-deceivers. They are not spiritual, just dogmatic and superstitious. Most of them do not understand the prophecies they so fear: if they did, they'd be calm even if the anti-Christ bellows fire in their face. BTW, how's the ministry going? U never invite me come see ur congregation o. Hehehehehe. And apostle Larry Wall and his followers just released improved their doctrine and called it Perl 6. Have you checked it out?

I wish you a happy new year - one filled with prosperity and success. Explore your limits and push the boundaries of your abilities this year. I hope we become much better than we are before the end of this year.

Lol.. you always make my day with your fantastic replies. I have not checked on perl am still trying to figure the new PHP 7 . Well sorry to disapoint you I shall leave the coding ministry this year or at least won't code for commercial purposes again. Its a big decision I want to take and I have developed a website that will fetch revenue for me by Gods grace. I want to delve into my other passion which is music am a classical / jazz trumpeter that's why my moniker is cbrass. Once my website picks commercially I will say bye bye to programming cry
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Feraz(m): 11:56am On Jan 01, 2016
cbrass:

Are you kidding me? cheesy does this post says "Tiwa Savage forgot her panties in Dbanj's Car " now that's what they move to front page these days I hope they change in this new year wink
Someone help me with a .gif for the bolded!

ChokolateBoss, this also.

Craigston, which courses will you be taking on edX this year?
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
Feraz:
Someone help me with a .gif for the bolded!

ChokolateBoss, this also.

Craigston, which courses will you be taking on edX this year?
Harvard CS50x - Introduction to Computer Science. I'll be ahead of my course mates soon, because during the long holiday, I'll be taking yet another course. I'm yet to decide on the second, but it may be on one of these: Linux, physics, math or writing/public speaking.

Modified:
Harvard CS50x is now on and is self-paced. I've enrolled and it's time to get grinding.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 12:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
cbrass:

Lol.. you always make my day with your fantastic replies. I have not checked on perl am still trying to figure the new PHP 7 . Well sorry to disapoint you I shall leave the coding ministry this year or at least won't code for commercial purposes again. Its a big decision I want to take and I have developed a website that will fetch revenue for me by Gods grace. I want to delve into my other passion which is music am a classical / jazz trumpeter that's why my moniker is cbrass. Once my website picks commercially I will say bye bye to programming cry
Good luck with that. Just try to visit us once in a while. It's good seeing the saints together from time to time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Feraz(m): 9:44pm On Jan 01, 2016
Craigston:

Harvard CS50x - Introduction to Computer Science. I'll be ahead of my course mates soon, because during the long holiday, I'll be taking yet another course. I'm yet to decide on the second, but it may be on one of these: Linux, physics, math or writing/public speaking.

Modified:
Harvard CS50x is now on and is self-paced. I've enrolled and it's time to get grinding.
I couldn't even find the link to that of 2016 registration.
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Craigston: 12:11am On Jan 02, 2016
Feraz:
I couldn't even find the link to that of 2016 registration.
If you have registered for the course before, registration for 2016 is just a click. Else, just sign up on edX, then search for the course.
Here is the link to the course > https://courses.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/CS50x3/2015/info
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by RobinHez(m): 8:11am On Jan 02, 2016
Awesome!
@ChokolateBoss ...will u permit me to re-blog this?
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by Nobody: 9:01am On Jan 02, 2016
RobinHez:
Awesome!

@ChokolateBoss ...will u permit me to re-blog this?
Of course Sir.
Just give d credits
Re: Mankind's Scientific Breakthroughs Of The Year 2015 You Should Know Of by RobinHez(m): 9:19am On Jan 02, 2016
ChokolateBoss:

Of course Sir.
Just give d credits
Thanks.

Er...one favour tho...can u email me the article, with the credit at the end (just the way you want it to be)
Please...

Oh..and before I forget, here's the blog: www.edscienceblog..com

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Create Google Voice Number In Nigeria And Make Money From It / Biggest Snake In The World Killed And Recorded (watch Video Here) / Free Internet Browsing On Decoder Modem On Hitv, Mytv, Dstv, Strong, Space Decod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 189
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.