Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? (8262 Views)

Should I Return The Funds / Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Waleade2(m): 5:13pm On Oct 27, 2006
my guy, dont ever think of coming back to Naija to look for job.I want to tell u, we have morethan 1million graduates overhere looking for job and some even with there Masters.Be focus and stick to their job in UK.After you've make ur thousands of pounds , u can now come to invest in Naija.Dont ever think of coming to Naija now.Achieve and acquire ur wealth in UK. after u will now become BABA AGBA 4 NAIJA.
CHEERS
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by choco4life(m): 6:59pm On Oct 27, 2006
Men dont even think of it.
You cant get near 30,000 GBP/annum if you even eventually find a job to fit ur status
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by naijaman3: 8:20pm On Oct 27, 2006
hey nosa101: why are you writing in russian on this topic? (pochemu tee pichesh po ruskyi?).
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Honeypot1(m): 10:32pm On Oct 27, 2006
This is a very sensitive issue. I did my masters in the UK, returned to naija and back again to the uk. As far as i am concerned u don't really have many options to choose from. u have to be very careful or else u'll shoot urself in the foot.

one, u just did (or still doing) ur internship with Saatchi and u have not been offered any job yet. The 30,000 GBP which is causing much stir here is just a potential salary which u don't have yet.

two, the job market in naija is so crowded and uncertain but that doesn't mean people are not getting job regularly in naija though a skeletal percentage.

three, ur girlfriend!!!!!!!! Now, i won't comment on this so much because it is ur private life. She's only ur girl friend and not ur wife, boy u have to be smart, never allow such r/ships affect ur decision in life. Get it right first and then tackle that later.

The task b4 u is not to over-laden ur life with naija or not naija. What u need to do is to get a job first, spread ur net wider. First, u have to research and identify potential employers in ur field both in naija and uk. Start making contacts with them, send them unsolicited applications if they've not advertised. and pls do this on time b4 ur visa expires (that's if u don't have a resident permit).
it is only when u hit very juicy jobs both in naija and the uk and the appointment letters are with u that u will begin to consider what ur options are but for now concentrate on job hunting in both countries.

u may not have enough info on naija companies so begin where u are. ur univeristy's career office will be a good starting point. search the internet also to get the addresses of uk firms in ur field and start contacting them now. i know u will gain an interview or two. this was what i did b4 i got a job in the uk.

when i completed my studies in the uk, i worried myself so much about the decision to go back or not. i finally went back to naija and job hunting was not easy. i immediately left and got a job on my return to the uk, though i later got big jobs in naija but rejected them. from experience, u will never achieve anything both in naija or uk job-wise if u remain undecided. so hit the streets and start job-hunting, use the methods i suggested or u can email me for private talk.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Bossman(m): 10:42pm On Oct 27, 2006
I am sure you have heard enough. the consensus is that you sit right there, take the 30,000 pounds and build some experience. Actually, that's not a bad starting salary at all. That's about $60,000. Which is a good starting sala ry even in the very hot IT market here.

For those in Nigeria, if I may ask, what do you think companies will pay a well versed IT person with say about 10 years development and some years of project/technical lead. On this end those skills easily fetch in the $90,000 and above range. Did not mean to hijack the thread. smiley
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by lewa(m): 1:03am On Oct 28, 2006
Bros smiley take it nice and slow. Get some work experience in the UK first, learn the ropes, improve on yourself vis a vis courses, diplomas, or even a post graduate degree and become marketable globally.Nigeria can wait for now. There are tons of guys i know with stellar resumes doing well back in Naija but they came with 4-10 years of North American/European experience and are earning great bucks.The starting salary is great and with siblings who are bankers in the UK they tell me that with prudence and wise savings you are definately on your way. Bros, congrats once again, stuff we Nigerians are made of grin grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by simps(m): 5:32am On Oct 28, 2006
there is an addage that says a bird in hand is worth two in the bush but let me be frank with you a bird in hand should not escape!! how 4 heaven sake can you leave what u have thereand come home here with ''OYINBO ajebo'' if na play make u stop am. graduate full 4 naija wey nefa get job u get 1 u wan come run lef am. no come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Radiant(f): 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2006
Donmayor, I'm never disappointed when I read your posts. cool cool cool
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by mathways(m): 1:13pm On Oct 28, 2006
@nosa101,
Whatz up Nosa?You writing in Russian?U kinda lost your English writing skills or something?
Братан,знаешь ,что тебе надо просто согласоваться с нашими правилами здесь.Пиши только по-английски.Тебе тогда поймут и администратор твоё сообщение больше не удалишь.Или если тебе любопытно пообщайся по-русски,давай со мной по-русски.Кстати,где научился писать по-русски?
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Radiant(f): 1:38pm On Oct 28, 2006
Na so? Ok

Nu Inteleg.De ce vorbiti in Limba Russia aici? Nu mai stiti Engleza sau care e idea de a vorbi limba Russia

Nebunii pe Nairaland!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nosa101(f): 1:50pm On Oct 28, 2006
mathways:

@nosa101,
Whatz up Nosa?You writing in Russian?U kind of lost your English writing skills or something?
Братан,знаешь ,что тебе надо просто согласоваться с нашими правилами здесь.Пиши только по-английски.Тебе тогда поймут и администратор твоё сообщение больше не удалишь.Или если тебе любопытно пообщайся по-русски,давай со мной по-русски.Кстати,где научился писать по-русски?
Seun deleted my last post that was in English grin
Where I learnt to write Russian? i think I am a genius grin(why don't we have a laughing smiley)
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nosa101(f): 1:52pm On Oct 28, 2006
Radiant:

Na so? Ok

Nu Inteleg.De ce vorbiti in Limba Russia aici? Nu mai stiti Engleza sau care e idea de a vorbi limba Russia

Nebunii pe Nairaland!
This one hard O

I can speak Russian without having any idea(?) of the area because I am a genius. I hope i translated that well.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Radiant(f): 2:03pm On Oct 28, 2006
lol U wish you could translate that tongue

It means,
I don't understand. Why are you guys speaking Russian here? You guys don't know English again or what's the reason for speaking Russian

Mad people on NL!!!

Easier now huh? grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by mathways(m): 2:13pm On Oct 28, 2006
Yeah,I was kinda confused seeing nosa101 write in Russian.Russian's second nature to me and wouldn't mind we using it here if you really want.Всё равно давай если хочешь парень.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by ell77(f): 3:07pm On Oct 28, 2006
Honey_pot:

This is a very sensitive issue. I did my masters in the UK, returned to naija and back again to the uk. As far as i am concerned u don't really have many options to choose from. u have to be very careful or else u'll shoot yourself in the foot.

one, u just did (or still doing) your internship with Saatchi and u have not been offered any job yet. The 30,000 GBP which is causing much stir here is just a potential salary which u don't have yet.

two, the job market in naija is so crowded and uncertain but that doesn't mean people are not getting job regularly in naija though a skeletal percentage.

three, your girlfriend!!!!!!!! Now, i won't comment on this so much because it is your private life. She's only your girl friend and not your wife, boy u have to be smart, never allow such r/ships affect your decision in life. Get it right first and then tackle that later.

The task before u is not to over-laden your life with naija or not naija. What u need to do is to get a job first, spread your net wider. First, u have to research and identify potential employers in your field both in naija and uk. Start making contacts with them, send them unsolicited applications if they've not advertised. and please do this on time before your visa expires (that's if u don't have a resident permit).
it is only when u hit very juicy jobs both in naija and the uk and the appointment letters are with u that u will begin to consider what your options are but for now concentrate on job hunting in both countries.

u may not have enough info on naija companies so begin where u are. your univeristy's career office will be a good starting point. search the internet also to get the addresses of uk firms in your field and start contacting them now. i know u will gain an interview or two. this was what i did before i got a job in the uk.

when i completed my studies in the uk, i worried myself so much about the decision to go back or not. i finally went back to naija and job hunting was not easy. i immediately left and got a job on my return to the uk, though i later got big jobs in naija but rejected them. from experience, u will never achieve anything both in naija or uk job-wise if u remain undecided. so hit the streets and start job-hunting, use the methods i suggested or u can email me for private talk.

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE - ESPECIALLY COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED IT!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by OldGlory1(m): 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2006
Constantin

I love the Pictures you bless us with on the Site, In Nigeria, you will be depressed like an overweight mouse. You need to just chill in the UK( Even though i despise the UK). As long as your papers are right, then just chill and sort your self out there. But if your papers are not right, then i suggest you bounce!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2006
why do you despise Uk oldshame?
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by OldGlory1(m): 4:53pm On Oct 28, 2006
Nilla

Piece of $hit country with too many Arabs. The pounds is bleeped, life is hard, and the place is too small. The most overrated country in the world in my Opinion. Love me some Good Old USA!!! London is the most bleeped city in the world. I would rather be in Harare, yes i said Harare.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 4:58pm On Oct 28, 2006
Old Shame:

Nilla

Piece of $hit country with too many Arabs. The pounds is bleeped, life is hard, and the place is too small. The most overrated country in the world in my Opinion. Love me some Good Old USA!!! London is the most bleeped city in the world. I would rather be in Harare, yes i said Harare.

You have so many things going on in that post.
You dont think the US is overrated.
Life is hard for some people in the US too.
I guess you dont like Arabs
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nosa101(f): 5:55pm On Oct 28, 2006
я не помню если мы начинаем поговорить русского
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 6:11pm On Oct 28, 2006
please Nosa101 speak english.

abegggggggg
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nosa101(f): 6:20pm On Oct 28, 2006
Alright
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 6:21pm On Oct 28, 2006
thank you. so interprete what your last russian sentence was.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nosa101(f): 6:22pm On Oct 28, 2006
Something along the lines of,
"I don't mind if we continue speaking Russian".
It's pidgin Russian and not really grammatically correct
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 6:24pm On Oct 28, 2006
ok
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by aiksmart(m): 8:10pm On Oct 28, 2006
Your concern is well placed, and I will adventurously advice you to go for it!!! Just Do It. I will eventually be graduating from college in May of 07 with a masters in Chem engr fromone the A & M in Texas, & guess were the heck am rushing to with my degree?? Hell yea-Am getting my black ass back home!! Yea, the pay & the offers here in the USA is quite encouraging, but the type of future I hope to develop cannot be built in USA. The challenges of going back home cannot be over looked anyways. You will need to make arrangements for the following b4 u return home;
1- You need a good car, (save up some cash, buy a good used car from the USA via some insurance car auctions about #6,000 pounds will buy & ship a good Toyota car to Nigeria. A Corolla 2003 will cost u about $5700 & shipping is = $2000 & clearing is about $2300) So do the math.
2- Next you need to save enough money to afford a studio apartment in either Abuja/Lagos or P/H = $1500 (one year payment, some realators will want to gorge u for 2yr upfront payment. The good thing about this is that if u do this, it now gives u 1-2yrs rent free living, providing u adequate time to hussle for the job u have in mind.
3- U now need to have atleast & $3,000 cash & a credit card with credit limit of up to $7,500. (Nigeria is rough, mean & unpredictable, ur back up plan must be airtight.)
4- With the above in mind, I think u need another 2yrs to get ready for ur homecoming. So get urself a job in the UK, bust ur ass for 12months, put ur savings in futures trading(stock-trading go for metals or forex), dedicate 4monts of ur 2yrs towards networking- once u have atleast 1yr field experience in ur career (u require a minimum of 3yrs to be considered half as good-this does not apply to u, since u intend to go home to Nigeria), then ur 4months will be dedicated to sourcing for prospective partners( a company that will be interested in collaborating with u for possible projects in Nigeria--Reason, why work for anyone in Nigeria when u can be an employer of labor, u r already trained by a top college in a top european nation.).
6- If ur folks are loaded (cashed up) then u don`t need 2yrs to prepare, just enter the next Virgin-Nigeria, or BA after ur graduation party and you will not regret going back home.
7-While u r at it, just have it at the back of ur mind that the security situation back home is nothing compared to the worst nation in Europe, its comparable only to situations out of a science -fiction novel. Liars/cheats/theifs/armed-thiefs/kidnappers/extortioners/ritualists/money-dublers(local 419 operators)/then u have the int`l 419 leagues. My dear just becarefull, no matter how great abusiness proposal u get while in Nigeria appears, just no that nothing back home IS what it APPAERS TO BE, they are usually a SETUP!!! Be carefull.
8-Now I think ur pretty ready to go home, & I hope I`ll see u in 2yrs
Stay Strong, Nigeria needs us back home, we need to reverse the innumerable flights of intellectual capital out of our motherland. Lets jointly Restore the DIGNITY OF THE BLACKMAN- one person at a time.
Shallom people,
Stay Focused-alright!!!
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by aiksmart(m): 8:26pm On Oct 28, 2006
Regarding your beloved, there is no need to worry so much its going to be a great geographical experiance for her whenever una make that flight home, the sights, the traffic, the power interuption, etc But do not let that deter you, just make sure ur beloved is indeed urs-gone to the altar yet with her? If not do just that-cementing ur spousal r/ship is a must can do. She may even get a better job than u in Nigeria(if u let her, only that if ur employer is as bad as most Nigerian employers, he will break ur poor heart for u.
But u need not worry, just be sure she is open to the idea of visiting Africa, then move it up a notch from visiting to possibility of living in Africa, but u`ll need to go 1st b4 she comes with u.
I too is married to an Island girl from Jamaica & both of us live here in Texas, & she jolly well knows that we are going back to the motherland in 2007, or atleast that "I go to prepare a place for her come 2007",

Alright dude, enuff said about that topic.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by bensimon(m): 10:33pm On Oct 28, 2006
My guy, I think that you must have hear the word of wisdom from chaps who are either outside the country or in Nigeria. The bottom line is, stay back in England and get your acts together. I am sure that one day, you will get something that will take you back to 9aija. As for the oyinbo girl wey e bi like say you wan marry, well, that na another matter.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by otokx(m): 10:36pm On Oct 28, 2006
The only reason why you should not return to nigeria is your non nigerian accessory; even if you earn 2x that, she just can't fit in the motherland.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Ndipe(m): 11:14pm On Oct 28, 2006
@Otokx, what of other foreigners who moved back with their spouses to Nigeria and have, for the most part, adjusted remarkably in the society?

@Aitmark. While your advice may be on target, not to discourage you, but the hidden dangers of dealing with Nigerian customs can be very frustrating. Not that I have been there, but after clearing your car off from customs, hunting for an apt in expensive Abuja and Lagos and settling in with your new job, do you guys ever realize that sometimes, monthly salaries may be held for 2-3 months, especially if you are working for the Nigerian government. Lets not gloss over it and be realistic. As for that originator of the post, my advice is for you to stick it in London for the time being, acquire as much experience as you can in your intended field, then on vacation in Nigeria, look for jobs. Dont be surprised if the companies are willing to meet your demands, because some of them would have the mindset that you have the experience of working in a foreign land.

Goodluck.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Saddam: 11:19pm On Oct 28, 2006
Taxes in UK will eat up all ur allowances

Just come back to Nigeria
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by aiksmart(m): 11:58pm On Oct 28, 2006
I no be JJC for 9jA, I jus commot in 2001 so wetin I dey talk, I sabi am well-well, I don live for the 2 worlds, & I aint kidding when I said, I`ll get by black ass back home once I get my dang masters degree in hand. I have shipped moto b4 clear am sell am, so I have a pretty good handle on how the shit works. Customs, immigration whatever, we hang tough anywere & everywere. We play hard, real hard & we go bring our game back home & play hard but this time around with a lot greater skills wey America don pass on to us. Including our newfound capability to travel anywere in the world-thanks to both dem green-card & US citizenship. With all these ingridients for success, why waste time in Europe or America, when OBJ has redifined Local Content in Nigeria's Oil & gas. Why wast time here when bobos are dealing hard in P/H & Warri, Lagos & Abuja etc
We are coming loaded to not necessarily with cash-money, but contacts/skills/US training, long list of professional colleagues wey we sabi, on a pesin2pesin basis. Omo people if we no fit succeed back home loaded as thus with this kain can do attitude, then I should just go & rot in hell!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Question And Answers For Oil And Gas Jobs / Why Working From Home As A New Mom, Is A Win-win / Co-Creation Hub Appoints Ojoma Ochai As Managing Director

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.