Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments (20707 Views)

Building A 4 Flats Of 3 Bedroom House At Emene Enugu. Costs And Pictures. / Building A Fence On A Plot Of Land In Rural Enugu State: Costs And Challenges / What Are The Types Of Roofing Materials, Costs And Scenario Recommendations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 1:39pm On Jan 13, 2016
[b]Greetings Nairalanders,

Sorry I have been offline for about 2 days now due to hectic work schedule. Hope your project plans for 2016 and beyond are in top gear. I will continue with the current topic -

SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS (CONTINUED)

12) Preparation of Work Programme (Scheduling and Planning)

This involves the use of project scheduling software like Microsoft Project, Primavera, and the like to prepare a document referred to as a programme of work which is a graphical presentation of the time required to complete the individual components of a project. This programme of work is essential in successful execution of projects because it forms the basis for:
 Project planning
 Allocation of resources
 Execution of all the works that comprise the project
 Tracking of project performance in terms of time, cost, quality
 Completing the project on time, of which if the opposite is the case i.e. the project is extensively delayed, more costs would be incurred (as they say, time is money) and the project would be termed a failed project.

Preparation of programme of work using software is a skill that some, not all Quantity Surveyors develop over time due to demand by clients or employers or simply interest in gaining the knowledge. It is usually requested by clients (individual or corporate) who understand its importance in the success or otherwise, of projects. Essentially, programme of work has been requested for and used in every project that I have been involved in where the client is a corporate organization and even with some individual clients.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:52pm On Jan 13, 2016
[b]SERVICES PROVIDED BY QUANTITY SURVEYORS (CONTINUED)

Contract Administration

This is a broad group of services provided by the Quantity Surveyor for both the project client and the contractor which covers the actual construction stage of the project. The ultimate goal for providing these services is to achieve effective cost control of the project during the construction stages. I will speak briefly on each of them:

13) Preparation of Interim Valuations of Works done

In projects where the client engages a contractor/builder to carry out the project, the Quantity Surveyor is required to periodically value the work that the contractor has done so far in order to make recommendation to the client for further payments to be made to the contractor/builder, such that the progress of work can be facilitated. This is done either by:

i) Physical measurement and valuation of the construction works done on site as in the case of Valuation contracts where the arrangement is that contractor will be paid by means of valuation OR
ii) Confirmation of works covered as initially agreed under each milestone as is the case in Milestone contracts where the arrangement is that payments will be made to the contractor/builder after completion of particular milestones. Milestones include foundation, roof, 1st floor slab (decking as the laymen call it), finishings, etc. We shall discuss more on milestones later in this thread.

A Quantity Surveyor on a separate level can represent the contractor/builder in jointly verifying the value of works done with the client’s Quantity Surveyor, such that the contractor/builder’s interests is well represented and the contractor/builder is not shortchanged or underpaid as a result of the valuations.
[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:50pm On Jan 13, 2016

14) Preparation of Periodic Financial Statements

In projects where the Quantity Surveyor is engaged to provide services, the Quantity Surveyor will periodically during the course of the project prepare a financial statement for the client, detailing the financial status of the project as at that date. A financial statement contains data/information which informs a client of the following:
 The amount of funds that has been spent on the project till date
 The value of work that the contractor/builder has carried out till date, both paid and unpaid for
 The amount of funds still required to be spent on the project in order to achieve its practical completion

15) Assessment and Valuation of Variations

The Quantity Surveyor can value the cost of variations/additional work (changes made by the client or architect to the project), such that the contractor does not make a loss but is paid adequately for the value of additional work he has done and the client does not over-pay the contractor for the additional work. The Quantity Surveyor can provide this service on behalf of the client or the contractor, depending on who is engaging him to carry out the work.
[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Gmekx(m): 9:45am On Jan 14, 2016
Olumide4christ, I need your help with BOQ and design plans
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:56pm On Jan 14, 2016
Gmekx:
Olumide4christ, I need your help with BOQ and design plans

Okay. You can contact me by phone or email. My contact details are in my signature.

Thanks and regards.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:04pm On Jan 14, 2016

15) Preparation of Final Accounts at project completion

At the completion of the project, it is the duty of the Quantity Surveyor to review the financial aspects of the project; reconcile all payments made to the contractor/builder, sub-contractors and/or suppliers; determine whether savings were made on the overall project or additional expenditure was incurred. All these items are contained in the Final Account, which would be issued to the client at the end of the project. The final account gives the client the summary of all that transpired during the project, as it affects costs and funds.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2016

16) Resources Procurement Management

In a project where the client decides to make use of direct labour or labour-only contract for the project construction and plans to procure materials himself, the Quantity Surveyor can adequately represent the client in procuring all materials, negotiating and hiring all labour (both skilled and unskilled), and hiring all equipment required for the construction work. This is done right from the planning stage, through the construction stage up to the completion stage of the project. This service is particularly necessary in a situation where the client is busy or heavily engaged in personal endeavours and may not have all the time to go around negotiating and procuring all the resources required for the project. The Quantity Surveyor is better positioned to provide this service due to the in-depth knowledge of quantities, costs, negotiation capabilities and very importantly, unbiased position in the project. [/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Gmekx(m): 6:33pm On Jan 14, 2016
olumide4christ:

Okay. You can contact me by phone or email. My contact details are in my signature.

Thanks and regards.

I called your two numbers early this morning with a turkish number but there was no reply. Am a student of Civil Engineering and we've been given a construction project for our final exams that requires us to have a BOQ and design plans of a building or project without the unit prices or any price, I was wondering if you have access to such and could help with them. The ministry and companies here are not helping and the deadline for submission is close

I would be so grateful to you. Thanks in advance
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by AreaFada2: 7:15pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nice
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:30pm On Jan 14, 2016
Gmekx:

I called your two numbers early this morning with a turkish number but there was no reply. Am a student of Civil Engineering and we've been given a construction project for our final exams that requires us to have a BOQ and design plans of a building or project without the unit prices or any price, I was wondering if you have access to such and could help with them. The ministry and companies here are not helping and the deadline for submission is close

I would be so grateful to you. Thanks in advance

Well, for the BOQ, I have no problem in sending a blank copy without the details of the client and the project to you, since it is my own copyright and making it blank doesn't expose the project details. But for the drawings which were used to prepare the BOQ, I can't send that because all drawings have details of the architects and the clients on them and I can't remove them myself, besides architects don't like their drawings ending up in some unexpected places and the clients don't like that either; its a confidentiality thing we professionals are bound to adhere to.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:39pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nairalanders,

Please feel free to ask your burning questions on various issues concerning the costs of your projects. We are very much available to answer them and proffer solutions that will give you the best results. Wishing God's speed as you commence and complete your projects this year.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:02pm On Jan 14, 2016
"Avoid wastage; Avoid being shortchanged; Obtain optimum value for money; involve professional Quantity Surveyors on your projects today!!"
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Gmekx(m): 2:51am On Jan 15, 2016
olumide4christ:

Well, for the BOQ, I have no problem in sending a blank copy without the details of the client and the project to you, since it is my own copyright and making it blank doesn't expose the project details. But for the drawings which were used to prepare the BOQ, I can't send that because all drawings have details of the architects and the clients on them and I can't remove them myself, besides architects don't like their drawings ending up in some unexpected places and the clients don't like that either; its a confidentiality thing we professionals are bound to adhere to.

For the plans that's not a problem, if I can have the BOQ, that would be very kind of you.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
Gmekx:

For the plans that's not a problem, if I can have the BOQ, that would be very kind of you.

Send me your email address.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:05pm On Jan 15, 2016

17) Project Management

This involves the seamless coordination of the activities of all parties in a project (contractors/builders, sub-contractors, suppliers, consultants) by an individual called a project manager, on behalf of the client, from the conception to completion stage of the project, in order to satisfy the client’s goals/objectives. As a result of the Quantity Surveyor’s in-depth knowledge of financial/cost control, legal matters, measurements, contract administration, negotiations, etc, it is beneficial to appoint them as managing consultants/project managers to adequately represent the client on projects.

Project Management, as a form of procurement system, is being widely used today in the construction sector, as many clients (corporate and individual), who would not want to get involved in the daily running of projects due to their busy schedule, require professionals who will take single point responsibility of their projects and deliver the project to their expectations.

A more loose term used in the local parlance to refer to this service is Supervision; though, Project Management entails so much more responsibilities and activities than mere Supervision of the project.

I shall create a thread to talk more on this service in the nearest future.
[/b][/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:02pm On Jan 15, 2016

18) Project Controls Engineering

A Quantity Surveyor can provide services as a Project Controls Engineer. A Project Controls Engineer controls and/or redirects the progress of a project, controls availability of resources and allocation of same, coordinates with external agencies and makes regular reports. It is a subset of Project Management. This service is required in projects that are already failing based on the client’s objectives; for example,

 the contractor/builder has slowed down, stopped work or abandoned site without any cogent reason
 the project is seriously behind time
 materials and other resources are being wasted with no basis for such wastage
 quality of work is below expectation
 work has been stopped due to issues with external agencies

This service is provided as a corrective measure to a failed project and the Quantity Surveyor comes in to put the project back on the right track and steer it to a more desirable completion.

I shall create a thread to talk more on this service in the nearest future.
[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 8:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

A popular saying goes thus,...He who fails to plan plans to fail.
Are you or your company planning to embark on a construction project? If you do not make adequate plans about the proposed cost and expenditure for that project and the best ways to go about starting and completing that project, given the peculiarities of your situation, you have already programmed that project to fail before it even started.

AVOID FAILED PROJECTS!

MAKE A WISE DECISION TODAY!

TALK TO A QUANTITY SURVEYOR TODAY FOR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ABOUT CONSTRUCTION COSTS AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT OF YOUR PROJECTS!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Gmekx(m): 11:53pm On Jan 15, 2016
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:03pm On Jan 17, 2016

19) Preparation of Valuations for Insurance Purposes

This service is provided by Quantity Surveyors for insurance firms. Based on the Quantity Surveyor’s knowledge of construction costs, current prices of materials, measurement skills, the Quantity Surveyor can value the worth of a building structure which is to be insured by estimating the current and projected cost of rebuilding such property in case of fire outbreaks and advice the insurance firm on the evaluation of fire insurance premiums and compensation.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 4:51pm On Jan 17, 2016

20) Provision of Construction Loan Assessment and Monitoring services

This group of services are tailored towards satisfying the evolving needs of mortgage and commercial banks in the aspects of issuing out loans for purpose of financing construction projects. Mortgage banks and indeed, some commercial banks are going into the CONSTRUCTION FINANCE sector these days and as such, these services are much needed in the banking sector. Here, the Quantity Surveyor performs the following functions:

 Review/Vetting of Lender/Borrower/Developer’s submitted Bills of Quantities, Estimates, Cash flow projections in terms of quantities and rates for accuracy and adequacy

 Preparation of Bills of Quantities for proposed or on-going projects on the behalf of Lenders desiring to obtain loans from mortgage and commercial banks. These banks will never issue a loan for building construction purposes to a Lender without a professionally sealed or stamped Bills of Quantities from a Registered Quantity Surveyor, prepared on behalf of the Lender. Therefore, Lenders are usually mandated by the banks to submit such Bills of Quantities as part of their due process in issuing construction finance loans. I have personally done a few for some clients at the instance of some banks in the recent past.

 Periodic Auditing of value of work done on the project site in order to ensure that funds are accurately disbursed to the Borrower/Developer as at when due and that they are not under- or over-paid

 Periodic reporting to the bank on the financial status of the project

 Valuation of any variations or changes in scope that may be taking place on the project, which could affect the overall cost of the project and financial obligations of the Bank and the Borrower/Developer

 Provide Contract Auditing services such as Review of Contracts and Cost Auditing, in cases where Developers seeking loan facilities from the Bank already have on-going or abandoned projects, which they require the Bank to finance. It would be necessary in such cases for the Bank to request for some forms of Contract Auditing to be carried out on such projects before committing funds in terms of loan facilities to such projects.[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by seunoj: 6:35pm On Jan 17, 2016
Welcome,
Pls I be a 2 bedroom BQ plan. Can I send to you so u can help cost the project? Any service fee for this?

Thank you
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 8:20pm On Jan 17, 2016
seunoj:
Welcome,
Pls I be a 2 bedroom BQ plan. Can I send to you so u can help cost the project? Any service fee for this?

Thank you

Yes you can send the drawing/plan to me. My email address is in my signature below. (Note 1st alphabet is Q, not G)

Yes, there will be a service fee, but I'll need to see the drawing first.

Also, let me have your phone number so I can speak with you in order to know what your expectations are, confirm specifications/details and what will fit your budget.

Expecting your response.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:02pm On Jan 17, 2016
Gmekx:

Gmek59@gmail.com

Mail has been sent about 6 hrs ago. Hope you got it.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 11:37pm On Jan 17, 2016
Are you or your company planning to embark on a building project? If you do not make adequate plans about the proposed cost and expenditure for that project and the best ways to go about starting and completing that project, given the peculiarities of your situation, you have already programmed that project to fail before it even started.

AVOID FAILED PROJECTS!

TALK TO A QUANTITY SURVEYOR TODAY FOR PROFESSIONAL ADVICE ABOUT CONSTRUCTION COSTS AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT OF YOUR PROJECTS!

Have a fulfilling week ahead!!
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by Gmekx(m): 4:26pm On Jan 18, 2016
olumide4christ:

Mail has been sent about 6 hrs ago. Hope you got it.

Yes, Thank you Sir

Submitted it today, Am grateful
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:09pm On Jan 18, 2016
Gmekx:

Yes, Thank you Sir

Submitted it today, Am grateful

All Thanks to God; Regards and all the best in your studies!

1 Like

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 10:20pm On Jan 18, 2016
Nairalanders,

Please feel free to ask your burning questions on various issues concerning the costs of your projects. We are very much available to answer them and proffer solutions that will give you the best results. Wishing God's speed as you commence and complete your projects this year.
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 8:33pm On Jan 20, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

[b]Sorry I have been offline for a few days now. Hope your project plans for 2016 and beyond are in top gear. I will continue now and round up the current topic soonest-

21) Construction Contract Auditing

This group of services are tailored towards clients in the public service sector (government organizations), non-governmental organizations (NGOs), cooperatives and corporate bodies. Notably, these services have been and are currently being provided by some Quantity Surveyors to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in Nigeria.
The scope comprises two (2) major services namely: Review of Contracts and Cost Auditing.
REVIEW OF CONTRACTS is an exercise undertaken for the purposes of monitoring and better understanding of the processes and procedures that have been carried out in existing projects. Review of contracts can be undertaken in - contracts that have just been awarded; contracts at different stages of implementation; inflated contracts; and contracts involving abandoned projects.

COST AUDITING of contracts is an exercise undertaken to compare and justify contract rates, contract sums, payments, claims and cost estimate of works already awarded or in progress. Some objectives of cost auditing are:
 To ensure that the contract sum is a fair price for the works
 To ensure that payment made is justified by the value of works completed
 To ensure that contract documents appropriately reflect the quantum of work comprised in the project
 To ensure that the contract is not inflated.

Review of Contracts and Cost Auditing are needed both in the public service and private sector in order to ensure proper accountability in contracts’ and projects procurement.
[/b]
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 9:01pm On Jan 20, 2016
"It is wise and pays in the long run to make use of professionals on your projects."
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 2:50am On Jan 21, 2016
Greetings Nairalanders,

Are you or your company planning to embark on a construction project? If you do not make adequate plans about the proposed cost and expenditure for that project and the best ways to go about starting and completing that project, given the peculiarities of your situation, you have already programmed that project to fail before it even started.

AVOID FAILED PROJECTS!

Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by keziah123: 8:43am On Jan 21, 2016
Hello sir. Pls how much do u estimate for labor in soakaway construction. Dimensions are 12x7x12 all in ft. Tnx
Re: Talk To Quantity Surveyors About Construction Costs And Project Developments by olumide4christ: 3:02am On Jan 22, 2016
keziah123:
Hello sir. Pls how much do u estimate for labor in soakaway construction. Dimensions are 12x7x12 all in ft. Tnx

[b]Sorry, can't give you an accurate estimate for labor for soakaway, due to the fact that it is a composite item (in technical parlance) and in practical sense i.e. when you get to site to negotiate with the artisans (bricklayer, ironbender, carpenter), the prices you might get would be lower or higher than what anyone may give you here, moreso, there are different items of work involved in the soakaway/septic tank - concretework, blockwork, reinforcement, formwork.

It also depends largely on what kind of soakaway/septic tank you are constructing -
1. that which is all concrete which is cast on the ground level, and then sunk by digging the sides OR
2. That which is made of blockwalls with concrete base and cover slab, which is constructed inside the already dug pit.

For No. 1, your labour costs could go up to N150,000 or even more depending on your location due to the process of sinking the septic tank while for No. 2, your labour cost could be around N30,000 or more, also depending on your location.[/b]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Many Trapped As 5-Storey Building Collapses In Onitsha, Anambra / How To Estimate The Quantity Of Blocks, Cement And Sand For Your Diy Project / House Plan Affordable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.