Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,779 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50124 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Doakag: 11:47am On Jan 27, 2016
Look at how they are saying mech(eng) can't repair his own car.Mathematics students that has been taugh maths,not self taught like isaac newton and the more that do exploit,can't even add a pinch to the field of maths.All they know is to look for money(teaching,banking etc) after graduating.Your eye is filled with sand,and u want to laugh your neighbour that kick stone.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Doakag: 11:53am On Jan 27, 2016
Look at how they are saying mech(eng) can't repair his own car.Mathematics students that has been taugh maths,not self taught like isaac newton and the more that do exploit,can't even add a pinch to the field of maths.All they know is to look for money(teaching,banking etc) after graduating.Your eye is filled with sand,and u want to laugh your neighbour that kick stone.
calculator123:
.in all cases yes.i disagree with u.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Doakag: 12:01pm On Jan 27, 2016
Durentt:
haha him for scatter him brain for there grin u see engineering stds do d basics, we mathematicans dig depper.
Hmm,i addly believe.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Doakag: 12:31pm On Jan 27, 2016
[color=#990000][/color]
Durentt:
mathematics is not a tool pls. Its a field of study.
sad
Durentt:
mathematics is not a tool pls. Its a field of study.
kudos man
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Saladin25(m): 8:14am On Jan 28, 2016
I am a graduate of one of the Engineering discipline and I also, had NCE in computer/mathematics to be sincere Engineering student are not mathematician. Engineers just know calculations like other calculation courses I.e Economics, computer science. Mathematics is beyond solving, I could remember real analysis. No engineering student can solve it except you once had background in Mathematics. Therefore, Engineering students aren't mathematician

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by mcstan18(m): 11:42am On Feb 16, 2016
tanimola22:

I wanted to pass up this statement but decided to respond in order to enlighten the younger people who might be reading this.

Yes, your submission used to be very true at least 10 years ago, but things are changing. The number of people choosing to study Mathematics at undergraduate level has risen astronomically over the last 10 years. This partly is responsible for the increase in cut-off marks for gaining admissions into Maths. It's also responsible for the improved performances of Maths undergraduates nowadays as more and more intelligent people are choosing to study Mathematics as their first choice. Previously, it was 'they gave me Maths because I couldn't enter Engineering or Computer Science. Now, it's becoming ' I'm doing Maths because I chose it while filling my JAMB form. The result - a sharp increase in 1st class, 2:1 and 2:2 Maths graduates.

When I did Mathematics some years ago, nobody wanted me to do it because they thought the only option I had was to become a teacher. The thing is that the awareness of the relevance of Mathematics has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, and many people are making a more informed decision to study Maths because they, at least, have a clue of where it's likely to land them.

The notion of people reading Maths because they couldn't get into Engineering is fading, and we need to be aware of this. It is however not untrue that some people still accept Maths because they couldn't get into not only Engineering but also Computer Science.

If you genuinely have access to JAMB/Post-UME data, you'll agree that my somewhat contrarian opinion is plausible.

I totally agree with you Tani. I studied mathematics and even though it wasn't what I filled as my preferred course of study, I have NEVER regretted my decision to do the switch. We had only about 21 persons in my final year class some 7-8 years ago (with just 8 graduating eventually), but as at today there are nearly 50 persons in final year mathematics class at my alma matter.

Times have changed and mathematicians are highly sought after in various industries and institutions, if you pass with good grades. I have in the past couple of years mentored a couple of bright teenagers into studying mathematics. They have since been very thankful for the kind gesture.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by mayprince(m): 3:06pm On Feb 16, 2016
Whether u re an engr stud or mathematician....d main tin z too b good in ur area of concentration....i knw sum engr studs who are good in maths dan mathematics studs nd also sum mathematis studs dat are gud in maths dan engr stud....d main tin z to stay focus
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by cbravo(m): 2:26pm On Sep 12, 2016
topic: APPLICATION OF PARTIAL DIFFERENTIAL EQUATION IN ENGINEERING..
this a complete project work from chapter 1 to 5 with references.just follow the link below to read the full work.

http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/mathematics/application-partial-differential-equation-engineering/
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by tartar9(m): 8:09pm On Oct 14, 2016
Lol....You know more mathematics than the people who creates it.Engineers saying they know mathematics more than a mathematician is as ludicrous as a bricklayer saying he knows civil engineering more than the civil engineer,afterall he is the one laying the bricks undecided.You think Mathematics is about performing some mindless rote calculations,something a chimpanzee could be trained to do.I could bet the people commenting have never heard of the word "proof" before.

*Am an Engineer

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 15, 2016
pmann2:
MOST ENGINEERING STUDENTS WILL MAKE FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS BUT ONLY FEW MATHEMATICS STUDENTS CAN MAKE FIRST CLASS IN ENGINEERING... ENGINEERING STUDENTS ARE FAR MORE INTELLIGENT THAN MATHEMATICS STUDENTS... TEACH ENGINEERING STUDENT ANY MATHS AND HE/SHE WILL DO WELL IN THAT MATHS... CHECK THE GENERAL MATHEMATICS RESULT OF 100 LEVEL ENGINEERING AND MATHEMATICS STUDENTS AND YOU WILL SURE SEE THE DIFFERENCE... REAL ENGINEERS LOVE AND ADORES MATHEMATICS.

do you even know what mathematics is? everything an Engineering(and physics $ statistics) student does is application of mathematics not mathematics itself, mathematics is abstract Algebra, real analysis, complex analysis(and pls i don't mean complex numbers) and combinatorics, this is where you find theories upon theories, no single calculation just ANALYSIS, you have to know every single definition and theory you've been taught, which are in hundreds, if you don't, then you wont understand anything, so to understand, you have to memorize first.

As a mathematics student, if real analysis and abstract algebra have not profoundly shocked you, then youve not understood them.

but you might never understand until you are there.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by sirqeeboi(m): 10:24am On Oct 15, 2016
Mathematics and engineering ....arguing. ...this is child's play.....all this is for year one students. .I remembered when I was in year one ...when civil ,mech,insurance, mass Comm etc.living the same room will be arguing one another. ..buh for me I respect every course, because if a course is not important is won't be created . ..every one needs there other..
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by cbravo2: 6:30am On May 26, 2017
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Jamariwolff(f): 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2018
playerinc:

You and most pple studying Mathematics are doing dat because they couldn't get admitted to study Engineering. #word
says who?

Smh.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Abu001: 11:01am On Oct 18, 2018
Have you been admitted into any US school and looking for how to do a successful visa application and also pay your sevis charge?
Do you want to study in Cyprus and Denmark with full funding opportunities that will elapse very soon?
Don't take this opportunity for granted. Call this number: 0704 643 5603
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by TechspeciaIist(m): 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
elantraceey:

Lol, I'm one, in fact I understand mathematics best on my own, I could spend a whole night just studying one topic to make sure I gain full comprehension of a topic.
you understand mathematics like that and you still get extra year on top your third class?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

IMSU Graduate Drowns In Soakaway Pit While Fleeing From Students Pouring Water / Unilag Student Shot Dead At Amphitheatre (Picture) / OOU Is Best State University In 2016 - Institute For Governance Research

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.