Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50126 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nature130: 4:56am On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
calculus my ass. All d 200lvl elect engr students i know are dealing with indices nd logarithm in their borrowed courses. MEC ENGR. Doin Vectors nd d rest. And dey be feeling fly
Pls which university is dat
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 03, 2016
Nature130:
Pls which university is dat
fedpoly bida grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:

You ve not lied a bit
Most discipline have taken over from mathematicians in industries today
And the part that I am pissed off abt is that these guys here re just over hyping mathematicians like they re the only ones that does smart stuff,others are like doing stuffs not are not has tough as what they are doing. For me as for every dept. in sch is tough.
I actually really love mathematics that's what even pushed me to do engineering
kudos to you guy tho, Buh stop over hyping the course.
I rep uniben anytime...
Bro no-one is over hyping maths here. Maths is rather under-rated than over-hyped in nigeria. Sha u are studying engineering, u will nt understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Maltina?,nah,I'm more of a veleta guy,or betterstill,ice-cream and chocolate will do.
Anyway,which university are you attending?
PS: add chicken n' chips to the mix.#olivertwist tinz.lol.
lol bro.
I jst finished ND math nd stat at fedpolybida.
Am now pursuing getting a degree for mathematics at Futminna.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Cauchy01(m): 7:29am On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
calculus my ass. All d 200lvl elect engr students i know are dealing with indices nd logarithm in their borrowed courses. MEC ENGR. Doin Vectors nd d rest. And dey be feeling fly
Yea...u are ryt...buh wat u said dy did(vectors,indices,log...) Are dos not further maths u also did in sec. Sch...bro in my sch, dir are analysis and algebra 4 non-majors buh trust me not lyk dat of majors...
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 03, 2016
Cauchy01:
Yea...u are ryt...buh wat u said dy did(vectors,indices,log...) Are dos not further maths u also did in sec. Sch...bro in my sch, dir are analysis and algebra 4 non-majors buh trust me not lyk dat of majors...
yea dey do most of math that mathematics students do lik analysis nd algebra u mentioned. They jst do d basics but don't go deeper. Bro u a math student i suppose? smiley
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 8:53am On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:

You ve not lied a bit
Most discipline have taken over from mathematicians in industries today
And the part that I am pissed off abt is that these guys here re just over hyping mathematicians like they re the only ones that does smart stuff,others are like doing stuffs not are not has tough as what they are doing. For me as for every dept. in sch is tough.
I actually really love mathematics that's what even pushed me to do engineering
kudos to you guy tho, Buh stop over hyping the course.
I rep uniben anytime...
Though i'm a life sciences student,I have to admit that statistics is one of the most demanded field on the job market,it beats even medicine,life sciences,pharmacy and engineering; engineering is a fantastic field,but it has become too crowded to hold as much definite prospect as before.Mathematics is an associate twin to statistics,therefore,it is a high-level course,no hyping.
kudos to you too bro,I rep unilorin("better by far!"wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 9:07am On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
lol bro.
I jst finished ND math nd stat at fedpolybida.
Am now pursuing getting a degree for mathematics at Futminna.
Thats cool bro,I actually respect mathematicians,because even though I consider myself smart(grin),solving mathematical equations gives me headache and literarilly drains me physically.When we did ODE in 100L(MAT115 is a compulsory course for 100L life sciences students in unilorin),I was so confused that I had to ask around for an explanation; which is something I really really hate doing,when I woke up the next morning,I had forgotten how to solve a basic ODE equation again.lol.Mathematics ain't a piece of cake.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Thats cool bro,I actually respect mathematicians,because even though I consider myself smart(grin),solving mathematical equations gives me headache and literarilly drains me physically.When we did ODE in 100L(MAT115 is a compulsory course for 100L life sciences students in unilorin),I was so confused that I had to ask around for an explanation; which is something I really really hate doing,when I woke up the next morning,I had forgotten how to solve a basic ODE equation again.lol.Mathematics ain't a piece of cake.
cheesy i tell u. Its d grace of God dat kips us going
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martinsmartest(m): 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
EVarn:
I didn't even enter the class room one day in my 100lvl a and I banged an A in MTH125 (ODE)(that's actually the grace of God tho) Buh i jst believe Maths is one of the easiest course ever, jst follow the steps and do some manipulation ur answer will surface unlike some stupid course that u will spend days cramming still no way #myloveforMTH...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 1:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:

I didn't even enter the class room one day in my 100lvl a and I banged an A in MTH125 (ODE)(that's actually the grace of God tho) Buh i jst believe Maths is one of the easiest course ever, jst follow the steps and do some manipulation ur answer will surface unlike some stupid course that u will spend days cramming still no way #myloveforMTH...
Uh oh....which university do you attend?,getting an A without attending classes sounds a bit far-fetched to me.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Cauchy01(m): 1:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
yea dey do most of math that mathematics students do lik analysis nd algebra u mentioned. They jst do d basics but don't go deeper. Bro u a math student i suppose? smiley
Yea...graduated last year...UI
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 03, 2016
Cauchy01:
Yea...graduated last year...UI
respect bro cheesy
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by patrickojeh(m): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Remii:
because most maths students got to read maths after failed attempts to gain admission to read engineering

Dat doesn't form a basis on why engineering students are better at math. That only has to do with the demand for a particular course and the supply exceeding the demand. If tomorrow, most people decide to apply for maths than engineering, same would happen but inversely. The schools will then place those with higher scores in math dept & then others with relatively lower scores in engineering.

You can't claim to know math more than someone who did that for 4yrs. Not to talk of a pgd student of math vs engineering. There's no point arguing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Chrisx1x(m): 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2016
Engineering and mathematics are two different courses.majority of engineering student i have come accross are very arrogant,they have no respect whatsoever for other courses.give them real calculus,mathematical methods,Statistical Analysis,experimental design and watch them fumble....am a statistician and am proud of it .
Engineering burrows many concept from mathematics.mathematics is the mother of all science course.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Madmathecian(m): 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:
With all ur algebra and analysis, how many stuff have u guys made with it
u jst pack abstract in ur head with no hope of converting it to a reasonably useful thing
and u re happy abt it
smh to u guys

The phone/PC you're using to type that rubbish would not have existed without Mathematics.

The cars, aeroplanes, jets, television and all the technology today would not have existed without Mathematics,

Even Number Theory is a branch of Pure Mathematics, but without it, online shoping/banking would not have been possible, I can go on and on but I don't have to, every intelligent person alive knows that Mathematics rules the world.

As for Engineers and Mathematicians, they can never be one, engineers works with the principles of applied Mathematics, Mathematicians are research scientists that works on rigorous proofs and theorems.

Most people don't even understand the concept of Engineering, if you want to develop laws and jet engines, then go and study Theoretical Physics(Physics and Mathematics), if you want to work with these laws and design jet engines, then go study Engineering.

In a nutshell, Mathematicians and Physicists develop tools and theorems and engineers apply it their area of work, that is the reason you'll never see Engineers working as research scientists.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
Best science students including maths end up reading medicine
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by mezcri(m): 5:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
Remii:
because most maths students got to read maths after failed attempts to gain admission to read engineering
verrrrry true!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
An engineer think faster, act faster than the world itself #fact#

Proud to be an Engineer

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by free2ryhme: 5:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Yet they graduate to be chasing teller jobs, marketing, admin assistant, driver and they come here to claim they are engineers

Ask them how is engineering applicable to human resource you don find trouble oo
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by mezcri(m): 5:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
It's because most engineering courses have a lot to do with thorough mathematics. You can't stand an engineering course without being vibrant on maths.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Funpeter: 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Mathematicians are field individuals,they have a place in every institution ranging from the multinational oil companies to the automechanic clinics.The only problem is that they get stiff competition from the statistics guys,who tend to be more favored,especially in Nigeria.
Engineering,business administration and accounting are very crowded fields,though I particularly dislike civil engineering guys,perhaps due to their unruly attitude on campus.However,statistics seem to be the reigning field now,I would say that statistics is the huber hottest cake in town,its too hot for a cold shower!.lol.
Statistician rules the world........

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
How did this make frontpage and how does it enlighten the masses? All this boy does is open threads about his love for maths and peddle his false superiority complex regarding it. He's only an undergraduate and has no idea how the real world works.

Good luck getting a job with your mathematics degree when you eventually graduate.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry

Engineering student are egotistic as fvck, j would know cause i studied engineering. But i respect people that study physics and mathematics over engineering those guys are just too bloody, but hey, we all need eachother, you guys do the raw math and we use it to solve real-world problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kirrs: 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
we don't!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Madmathecian:

The phone/PC you're using to type that rubbish would not have existed without Mathematics.

The cars, aeroplanes, jets, television and all the technology today would not have existed without Mathematics,

Even Number Theory is a branch of Pure Mathematics, but without it, online shoping/banking would not have been possible, I can go on and on but I don't have to, every intelligent person alive knows that Mathematics rules the world.

As for Engineers and Mathematicians, they can never be one, engineers works with the principles of applied Mathematics, Mathematicians are research scientists that works on rigorous proofs and theorems.

Most people don't even understand the concept of Engineering, if you want to develop laws and jet engines, then go and study Theoretical Physics(Physics and Mathematics), if you want to work with these laws and design jet engines, then go study Engineering.

In a nutshell, Mathematicians and Physicists develop tools and theorems and engineers apply it their area of work, that is the reason you'll never see Engineers working as research scientists.

Then you probably have little knowledge of chemical Engineering. It more of research. Dig deep next time bro, the World has probably left you behind

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by 9jatatafo(m): 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
zikIPE:
walahi, you have sense, i swear. It's a known fact that most physicists and mathematicians in Nigerian universities opted for engineering as their first choice. I have lot's of friends' experiences to back up this assertion.

They did that not because they know mathematics more also the society we live in hold engineering students with high esteem and we think the prospect of engineering students getting jobs after graduation is higher. But on to the matter at hand students if Pure Mathematics and Applied Mathematics are better than Engineering students.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by tdayof(m): 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Chrisx1x:
Engineering and mathematics are two different courses.majority of engineering student i have come accross are very arrogant,they have no respect whatsoever for other courses.give them real calculus,mathematical methods,Statistical Analysis,experimental design and watch them fumble....am a statistician and am proud of it .
Engineering burrows many concept from mathematics.mathematics is the mother of all science course.
majority? what type of engineering student are you talking about? probably those who are not serious with their studies.
I am an aeronautical engineering student. Most aeronautics students will surely tear your caculus into pieces .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Maths did not end in calculus. Have u heard of differential equation ll? In fact, I c any engineering student under this category as "maluuu" for u to think u r d boss in maths. Even we computer science graduates r paying them their due regards talk less of u.... Am sure we will beat u guys in that aspect.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by miqos02(m): 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
hmm
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kobonaire(m): 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Please be specific : it is Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering students that do the most amount of challenging mathematics during their courses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Unilag Student Shot Dead At Amphitheatre (Picture) / OOU Is Best State University In 2016 - Institute For Governance Research / Classmates Console SS1 Student As She Breaks Down In Tears After Being Dumped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.