Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,056 members, 7,814,631 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Scientists Discover Four New Elements - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Scientists Discover Four New Elements (25476 Views)

Can You Remember How You Learnt The First 20 Elements? / Scientists Discover Some Evidences Of Life After Death [check In] / Four New Elements To Be Added To Periodic Table (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientists Discover Four New Elements by AKAKAK(m): 6:54pm On Jan 04, 2016
Zovoe Jonathan/Simon Ejembi/Ayodele Oluwagbemi

Four elements are soon to be added to the periodic table, finally completing the seventh row making every science textbook out of date according to education giant Pearson, the CNBC has reported.

A spokesman for Pearson said, “We regularly review our course materials and textbooks to ensure they are up to date, and any changes that need to be made will be done at the appropriate moment to ensure least disruption to schools and students.”

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry on December 30, verified the addition of the elements 113, 115, 117 and 118 to the table’s seventh row making it complete.

This marks the first time new atoms have been added to the periodic table since 2011, according to the report.

Professor Jan Reedijk, President of the Inorganic Chemistry Division of IUPAC said the chemistry community is eager to see its most cherished table finally being completed down to the seventh row.

“The chemistry community is eager to see its most cherished table finally being completed down to the seventh row.

“IUPAC has now initiated the process of formalizing names and symbols for these elements temporarily named as ununtrium, (Uut or element 113), ununpentium (Uup, element 115), ununseptium (Uus, element 117), and ununoctium (Uuo, element 118),” he said in a statement.

The proposed names and symbols will be checked by the Inorganic Chemistry Division of IUPAC for consistency, translatability into other languages, possible prior historic use for other cases, etc.

New elements can be named after a mythological concept, a mineral, a place or country, a property or a scientist.

After Divisional acceptance, the names and two-letter symbols will be presented for public review for five months, before the highest body of IUPAC, the Council, will make a final decision on the names of these new chemical elements and their two-letter symbols and their introduction into the Periodic Table of the Elements.

The statement released by IUPAC also quoted the President, Dr. Mark C. Cesa, as saying, “As the global organization that provides objective scientific expertise and develops the essential tools for the application and communication of chemical knowledge for the benefit of humankind, the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry is pleased and honored to make this announcement concerning elements 113, 115, 117, and 118 and the completion of the seventh row of the periodic table of the elements.

“we are excited about these new elements, and we thank the dedicated scientists who discovered them for their painstaking work, as well the members of the IUPAC/IUPAP Joint Working Party for completing their essential and critically important task,” he added.

http://www.punchng.com/chemistry-textbooks-outdated-as-scientists-discover-four-new-elements/

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Winna01(m): 7:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
Chemistry till we die. #PIC

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by jonagaga(m): 7:21pm On Jan 04, 2016
abeq chemistry if na play just leave trash for lawma

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Idiataqueen(f): 8:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
Lalasticlala oooo.
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by sukkot: 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2016
its a rebirth.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Demmocrats(m): 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2016
Haba Op the picture of the new and updated periodic table would have been better than all this long talk.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by looseweight: 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2016
Greatest chemist

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by miqos02(m): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by garokabir: 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
R
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by horexy(f): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
I just hate dt subject/ course angry
It's just too complex undecided

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by abumeinben(m): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
grin
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Misogynist2014(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
I just discovered a radioactive element, TOPSILEOM in my garden, prove me wrong. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Electronzeez(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
I always thought I know chemistry back then in school untill I have c6 grin.

Chemistry is sweet sha ....I like it

3 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by marshalcarter: 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
What is chemistry

After 1+1....ntn dey dis ma head again undecided

9 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by SenatePresdo(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by kirchofff(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
Lol, so we wey don pass out tay tay go combak com study d new elements again abi

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by kenny091(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
I have also discovered another element. position 10001: Ununheadies

5 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by princebaby(m): 10:12pm On Jan 04, 2016
And I just buy that old one 3days ago what should I do now #confuse#
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by mouaue: 10:13pm On Jan 04, 2016
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Elzends(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ah neva learn initial ones finish una dey find out more angry

Meanwhile

Who cares about updated textbook or not, just carry black pen edit ur textbook and VOILA, ur textbook is up to date

12 Likes

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Adelivinggreat(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
No be small thing
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by solid121: 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
development goes on
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by emmyw(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I Love Science. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by okpara007(m): 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
Abeg will it make me to stop failling d subject woefully or vice versa
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
K
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Meanwhile, somewhere n africa, people re being burnt to death for stealing While d western world keep advancing... SMH
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Horlufemi(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
saying "leave trash for lawma" is like saying "congrats for us" cheesy
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by tete7000(m): 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
Thank God I don leave chemistry class before they added this complication. The periodic table I struggled with na hin dem come make complicated again. The rest na for my children.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Businessideas: 10:16pm On Jan 04, 2016
undecided undecided
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by EduRegard: 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
HunHun

[size=13pt]So they mean This Great Textbook is Outdated?[/size]

So Sad.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by allansie(m): 10:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ok
Re: Scientists Discover Four New Elements by Businessideas: 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2016
undecided
This doesn't make chemistry textbooks obsolete. The spaces are already there and the interim names will now just have substantive names. Also, elements of the 7th row are not the major elements studied in both O and A'level chemistry. The only thing I see is that Pearson publishers want to make a commercial and marketing positioning so that they can push Chemistry books on their stable and this their commercial strategy has nothing to do with the actual science.
IUPAC never said chemistry textbooks are obsolete because they know it doesn't make sense

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPPIS: Nigerian Universities Misled Us Into Paying Dead Lecturers – AG / Outcome Of 2024 Utme Results, Who Is To Be Blamed? Parents, Teacher Or Students? / Cut-off Marks For 2013 National Common Entrance Examination Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.