Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,530 members, 7,816,294 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates (15165 Views)

Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / This Is An Indian Company You Shouldn't Work For In Nigeria Because Of Racism / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by marqueetim(m): 8:45am On Jan 05, 2016
Many employers have been known to list strict requirements for their recruitment especially for Fresh Graduate hire. To me, this has been responsible for the do-or-die believe by Graduates that its either a 2:1 or nothing. We have even had cases on Nairaland, where people became depressed or committed suicide as a result of their failure to hit this target.
I am going to give employers three reasons why that should not be the case:
1. We all have our area of interest and talent, which may not neccessarily be in academics, but does not hinder us from been effective in the practical aspect of life where we have that passion or interest.
2. Change is the constant thing in life. Some people might have done poorly in the past, but they are now performing exceedingly well. For example, we have people who made 3rd class/ 2.2 and ended up making a distinction in their Master's and or PhD's.
3.The key ingredients needed to work in an organization: Teamwork, leadership skills and communication skills are hardly obtainable from academic education (especially in Nigeria). They are most times a result of personal development and attending relevant non-curricular trainings.
Kindly note that I didn't put this up here because I am in this particular category of graduates, was just inspired with a post sometimes ago about "Why many first class graduates don't end up as first class citizens".

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Koboseadotorg(m): 8:53am On Jan 05, 2016
observing
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chanchit: 11:21am On Jan 05, 2016
This is an issue that would never go away, its in their mentality, indians do not give a fvck about what you graduated with, what they want is your brain. That's why they are where they are, Nigerians wants the grade,that's why we re where we are.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by 2dillu2(m): 11:21am On Jan 05, 2016
Good morning Nairalanders cool
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Sijo01(f): 11:21am On Jan 05, 2016
Nigerians believe too much on certificates than skills!

11 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by MadCow1: 11:22am On Jan 05, 2016
Degree..

I failed so much in school not because I was dumb, but because I got into school when I was unprepared to go to school as at when I attended.

Anyways, I failed very well. grin Didn't give two fhucks about classes, but attended because it was compulsory and those lecturers knew us all by name especially me; MadCow.

My first employer was the Man. He looked at my resume and asked for my Certificate, I sent him my Certificate and transcript. My transcript intrigued him so much that he just had to call me in. That interview blew his socks off.

3rd class no mean say the person dull.

And No, I didn't graduate with a third class.. My mother would have killed me. cool

My friend who read more than even 1st class graduates and had so many tutors graduated with a 3rd class. Today he has one of the best jobs out of my graduating class. He works in the field and is a darn good field engineer. Some people are good at applying knowledge, others are good at writing knowledge, others good at cramming.

I was just good at partying.. Thank God that attending classes was compulsory cos I believe everything I learnt from university was learnt during the period I sat in class.

That said.. I actually regret not putting in work in school. Not because I am not doing well today, but because I have to count on somebody overlooking my degree classification to get a chance that First Class and Second class upper graduates get on a platter. Also because I could have graduated with a first class if I had bothered to make an effort.

16 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by PLANETMARS(m): 11:22am On Jan 05, 2016
Op u dey mad wella for head so for where wizkid dey u say make I call Airforce1 for show?

3 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Samcathe: 11:22am On Jan 05, 2016
We celebrate certificate in Nigeria while the advance country celebrate inventions.

I have a very good grade in school though..

5 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by deyvhid26: 11:22am On Jan 05, 2016
Yea... You're right , but ds should not be an excuse fr students to graduate with poor grades ...

4 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Nobody: 11:23am On Jan 05, 2016
not in this bleeped up country
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by youngice(m): 11:24am On Jan 05, 2016
Iranu
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by shachris02: 11:24am On Jan 05, 2016
you grades doesn't define you.
The most successful people in the world made low grades.
Some even had no grades.....like our president.

7 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by mcfynest(m): 11:24am On Jan 05, 2016
Treu
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by maximunimpact(m): 11:24am On Jan 05, 2016
brb
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by kirchofff(m): 11:25am On Jan 05, 2016
Dat only applies to western countries where jobs are surplus not naija dat a Bsc hold is a driver
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chimaritoponcho: 11:25am On Jan 05, 2016
T
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Demmocrats(m): 11:25am On Jan 05, 2016
Great minds in history are the worst students in class.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by ifenes(m): 11:26am On Jan 05, 2016
Skills and talents should define people,not academic grades.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chartey(m): 11:26am On Jan 05, 2016
Those grades were created for a reason.

Yes there are people who graduate with poor grades and eventually become successful but the majority end up achieving limited success in life. Those who become successful put in the hard work they neglected in school.

Good grades in school are not due to brilliance alone. They're also due to hard work, diligence, self-control, discipline, responsibility, good planning, focus, tenacity and other qualities.

Outside school, these qualities also make good employees (and employers) so it's only rational for recruiters to prefer graduates with such grades to others.

So if you're still in school make your good grades so that things will likely be easier for you outside school. A strong foundation is always a good thing.

Lalasticlala why are you keeping this beautiful topic from the people?
https://www.nairaland.com/2814646/beautiful-work-art-christmas-gift

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by emmygzy(m): 11:26am On Jan 05, 2016
Okay na
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by GeoOla25(m): 11:27am On Jan 05, 2016
Most employers believes, if they train a 1:1 or 2:1 graduate, they have the ability to learn faster than a 2:2 or 3rd class graduate in the same training environment..that's why grades are highly considerable.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by miqos02(m): 11:27am On Jan 05, 2016
ok
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Louislewis: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2016
[size=18pt]Majority of 1.1,1.2 or 2.1 are always never the best. Today situation in Nigeria in terms of getting a job, based on grade, has made these grade obtainable, through backdoors with the help of lecturers that are never interested in quality on what you can do with the grade, but their pockets. We all went through the system. We know all these things. Due to these regards, companies and organisations are employing the best, grade wise and yet, productivity remains at low or zero levels. If this nation need to have all-round growth, emphasis on grade shouldn't play any part in terms of employment, but what can you do with whatever qualification either as an ND, HND, BSC, MBA, MSC, or PHD in your field of specialization on the certificate. This will give everyone equal opportunity to come and defend yourself on what you have studied. Grade suppose to end up with the school record for the sole purpose of furthering education of individual when needed. With this, student will belt up for whatever course of study, knowing fully well that "Defence", will be a determinant factor for employment. Employers will get out the best through this means. Lecturers will no longer hold the destiny of students in their hands. Malpractices will drastically reduced from both side of students and lecturers. During my time, I know of a lecturer that talks to the black board with lowest voice without facing the students in a large hall of capacity over 300, write and clear immediately on the board for the sole purpose of having a great number of carry over for that semester and come to next semester to announce with a loud voice to those that had carry over to register with the class rep for extra classes for the sole purpose of making money. This man end up giving out exam questions and answers to participants verbatim and only change figures such that all you need is replace and fix figures and punch your calculator you get the answer. If by chance, you have access to the questions and answers as a non-participants of the carry over class, he will still mark you down by given you "Di". It is all annoying seeing your future being controlled by unworthy and unqualified so-call lecturers. Yaba Tech (mech dept.) please ungrade. It is annoying.[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chimaritoponcho: 11:28am On Jan 05, 2016
PLANETMARS:
Op u dey mad wella for head so for where wizkid dey u say make I call Airforce1 for show?
BRO ur signature sucks

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by vicostyles(m): 11:31am On Jan 05, 2016
n
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Uchemus(m): 11:32am On Jan 05, 2016
now people with poor grades will begin to justify this claim., perfect excuse to perform poorly in school. #trash #lawma
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by youngguru23(m): 11:34am On Jan 05, 2016
*clears throat
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by DirtyGold: 11:36am On Jan 05, 2016
Really? So I shouldn't employ a 2:1 graduate because you are assuming that people with lower grades are as good or better? How intelligent is that?

Op those who passed are the ones who "know book"! If you think they manipulated to achieve it, why didn't you do so as well instead of trying to pull them down to your level?

Be it in school or in an organization, result is key. Whoever can proof that they can get excellent results are preferred, simple!

For the same price, who would you prefer on your team: Eden Hazard or Lionel Messi?

Wherever possible, those with lower grades should also compete and if their quality can shine through, why not? It is what it is!

I never thought I'll also say this but,

#LeaveThrash4Lawma cool

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by kaka22(m): 11:38am On Jan 05, 2016
This issue again?
Let me start by saying "whatever that is worth doing is worth doing well". How can you explain away a person's lazy behaviour and non-challant attitude with the factors above? I always say it that there are many first class and second class upper graduates to choose from, who know their onions. Why do you expect companies to waste time with large number of applications all in the name of searching for some third class graduates who can perform?
If I owned a firm, I would reduce the number of application by class of degree requirement (1st class and 2.1). There are many competent 1st and 2.1 graduates.
Last bullet: "make hay while the sun shines". Work hard to achieve the best result in your endeavours be it academics, work or hobby.

2 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chimaritoponcho: 11:39am On Jan 05, 2016
PLANETMARS:
olodo it isn't a dick u morafvcking gay
dis is a new year and automatically a new chima I refuse to take ur rantings serious .PEACE

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by PLANETMARS(m): 11:41am On Jan 05, 2016
Chimaritoponcho:

dis is a new year and automatically a new chima I refuse to take ur rantings serious .PEACE
d day wey u enter mainland that day u go see street!
#olamide mode activated

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Want A Job Really Bad? Here Are 4 Tips To Get One In 2 Months. / S S S Recruiting Test / How Can Someone Apply For Short Service In Nigeria Military?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.