Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,600 members, 7,820,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates (15169 Views)

Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / This Is An Indian Company You Shouldn't Work For In Nigeria Because Of Racism / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by greatestman(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2016
Whatsoever you want you will get it within the first class and second class Graduates.. Please don't promote laziness since good grade do not cause any harm try and get one. Your argument will hold ground if only you solicit for HR to give room for anyone in respective of your class of degree to try, they may get third class Graduates that are equally good as first graduates.. The way you are saying as if first class or second class Graduates don't know the technical know-how..

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Idrismusty97(m): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2016
This shouldn't be an opportunity to castigate those with 2.1 or 1st class. Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. You can have the skills and talent and still be intelligent academically. Stop making it seems like they are mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chimaritoponcho: 11:44am On Jan 05, 2016
PLANETMARS:
d day wey u enter mainland that day u go see street!
#olamide mode activated
chimaritoponcho just sent u sense,check ur inbox
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Sammiel: 11:46am On Jan 05, 2016
T
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by PLANETMARS(m): 11:48am On Jan 05, 2016
Chimaritoponcho:

chimaritoponcho just sent u sense,check ur inbox
oops I forwarded it to chimaritoponcho's dad he needed it urgently
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Heineken(m): 11:48am On Jan 05, 2016
Sijo01:
Nigerians believe too much on certificates than skills!
them no even care whether na cheating ugochukwu do all through.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by ednut1(m): 11:49am On Jan 05, 2016
its just a way to reduce number of applicants, recruitment costs alot of time and money. if as a company i put out a graduate trainee advert without restrictions , we will receive over 100000 applications, but when u put restrictions u get around 5000 which is still too much, so can u interview them all . truth is the graduates to job ratio is shrinking every day. its up to the govt to stimulate economic activities, but so far this regime has...... lipsrsealed
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by ckmayoca: 11:50am On Jan 05, 2016
deyvhid26:
Yea... You're right , but ds should not be an excuse fr students to graduate with poor grades ...

But a lot don't merit the big grade they graduated with due to they sorted and those from poor background that couldn't sort will manage whatever they earn.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Heineken(m): 11:52am On Jan 05, 2016
MadCow1:
Degree..

I failed so much in school not because I was dumb, but because I got into school when I was unprepared to go to school as at when I attended.

Anyways, I failed very well. grin Didn't give two fhucks about classes, but attended because it was compulsory and those lecturers knew us all by name especially me; MadCow.

My first employer was the Man. He looked at my resume and asked for my Certificate, I sent him my Certificate and transcript. My transcript intrigued him so much that he just had to call me in. That interview blew his socks off.

3rd class no mean say the person dull.

And No, I didn't graduate with a third class.. My mother would have killed me. cool

My friend who read more than even 1st class graduates and had so many tutors graduated with a 3rd class. Today he has one of the best jobs out of my graduating class. He works in the field and is a darn good field engineer. Some people are good at applying knowledge, others are good at writing knowledge, others good at cramming.

I was just good at partying.. Thank God that attending classes was compulsory cos I believe everything I learnt from university was learnt during the period I sat in class.

That said.. I actually regret not putting in work in school. Not because I am not doing well today, but because I have to count on somebody overlooking my degree classification to get a chance that First Class and Second class upper graduates get on a platter. Also because I could have graduated with a first class if I had bothered to make an effort.

you're truly a MadCow bro.. You talk too much
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by missKiffy(f): 11:55am On Jan 05, 2016
I agree
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chimaritoponcho: 11:55am On Jan 05, 2016
PLANETMARS:
oops I forwarded it to planetmars 's dad he needed it urgently
fixed!!
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by MadCow1: 12:00pm On Jan 05, 2016
Heineken:
you're truly a MadCow bro.. You talk too much

Who was talking? undecided

Heineken.. Pfft.

2 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by 4C2215131: 12:01pm On Jan 05, 2016
ckmayoca:

But a lot don't merit the big grade they graduated with due to they sorted and those from poor background that couldn't sort will manage whatever they earn.

Those from poor background seeing they can't 'sort' should have worked harder, read harder!

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by SoNature(m): 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
OP, Nigerian employers will never listen to this. This is because all this boils down to massive unemployment situation in Nigeria.

I blame partly our high institutions for our unemployment problem. Yes, in school a lot is said about graduating with at least 2'1 to get good jobs and nothing is said about graduates creating jobs. This makes students have high hopes of joining multinational companies after school instead of learning steps of starting their own biz

We must change the mentality of our lecturers so that they erase the idea of graduating with at least 2'1 to get a good job to learn so that they can create jobs when they leave school.

Sadly, you can't give what you don't have as many lecturers are so clueless as to how jobs are created in the first place. I remember one of female lecturers telling us back in the day in school that if you did not make at least 2'1, in her terms, "you are finished!"

This is rather regrettable.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by 2goodbobo(m): 12:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
Louislewis:
[size=18pt]Majority of 1.1,1.2 or 2.1 are always never the best. Today situation in Nigeria in terms of getting a job, based on grade, has made these grade obtainable, through backdoors with the help of lecturers that are never interested in quality on what you can do with the grade, but their pockets. We all went through the system. We know all these things. Due to these regards, companies and organisations are employing the best, grade wise and yet, productivity remains at low or zero levels. If this nation need to have all-round growth, emphasis on grade shouldn't play any part in terms of employment, but what can you do with whatever qualification either as an ND, HND, BSC, MBA, MSC, or PHD in your field of specialization and on the certificate. This will give everyone equal opportunity to come and defend yourself on what you have studied. Grade suppose to end up with the school record for the sole purpose of furthering education of individual when needed. With this, student will belt up for whatever course of study, knowing fully well that "Defence", will be a determinant factor for employment. Employers will get out the best through this means. Lecturer will no longer hold the destiny of student in the hands. Malpractices will drastically reduced from both sides of students and lecturers.[/size]

I concur with you 100%
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by deniyor: 12:04pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nonsense
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 12:05pm On Jan 05, 2016
MadCow1:

Who was talking? undecided

Heineken.. Pfft.
how's the labour situation presently?.... would you say its easier or harder to land a job within the first year of Graduation.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by deniyor: 12:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
As a student, your main responsibility is to your academics. You are meant to excel in it. If you fail in your main responsibility, why should anyone trust you with another bigger one like a job?
Yes, some people are not meant for academics. In that case, they should not be in school in the first place. They should focus on what they excel at.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by adewumiopeyemi(m): 12:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
many first class graduates sef never geh job .. na third class de geh d job pass ma GOD help us in dis countri
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by yemoxyl(m): 12:13pm On Jan 05, 2016
What were u doing when ur mates were reading their butt off?
How do u expect the ones with good grades feel?,if there's no discrimination

Like taiwo that worked hard to av good grades should be in the same level with tunde that was lazy throughout school undecided

Then everyone should just be lazy
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Dekingmoses(m): 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
y won't the white discriminate we blacks, when we blacks lyk discrimination among ourselves e.g in education, grades, qualification even color , tribe etc
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 05, 2016
MadCow1:
Degree..

I failed so much in school not because I was dumb, but because I got into school when I was unprepared to go to school as at when I attended.

Anyways, I failed very well. grin Didn't give two fhucks about classes, but attended because it was compulsory and those lecturers knew us all by name especially me; MadCow.

My first employer was the Man. He looked at my resume and asked for my Certificate, I sent him my Certificate and transcript. My transcript intrigued him so much that he just had to call me in. That interview blew his socks off.

And No, I didn't graduate with a third class.. My mother would have killed me. cool

My friend who read more than even 1st class graduates and had so many tutors graduated with a 3rd class. Today he has one of the best jobs out of my graduating class. He works in the field and is a darn good field engineer. Some people are good at applying knowledge, others are good at writing knowledge, others good at cramming.

I was just good at partying.. Thank God that attending classes was compulsory cos I believe everything I learnt from university was learnt during the period I sat in class.

That said.. I actually regret not putting in work in school. Not because I am not doing well today, but because I have to count on somebody overlooking my degree classification to get a chance that First Class and Second class upper graduates get on a platter. Also because I could have graduated with a first class if I had bothered to make an effort.

.stop giving excuses man! you were simply not good enough to come out with a 2:1 or 1st class, Just deal with it.

even if you go back to school and Put in more effort I doubt if you would still make a 2:1. when it comes to intelligence 'Its either you have it or you dont'

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by MadCow1: 12:59pm On Jan 05, 2016
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:

how's the labour situation presently?.... would you say its easier or harder to land a job within the first year of Graduation.

It depends on your qualification, course and luck.

The one thing I know is that it gets easier with experience.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 05, 2016
ckmayoca:

I put it to you NO ONE with a first class could have sorted their way through... absolutely no way.

Take that to the bank cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by MadCow1: 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
DonUjay:
.stop giving excuses man! you were simply not good enough to come out with a 2:1 or 1st class, Just deal with it.

even if you go back to school and Put in more effort I doubt if you would still make a 2:1. when it comes to intelligence 'Its either you have it or you dont'

Lol..

I made a first class in my last three semesters of school and really boosted my CWA. Moved from a third class to a high 2.2 in 3 semesters and had the best Project and presentation score in my entire department.

Like I said, when I got into school, I was unprepared and had no clue what I was doing and just scrapped by until I did my internship in my second year final semester.

Don't worry, I know my case. And my career growth since graduation till date is a testament to that fact.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by mikkypel(m): 1:16pm On Jan 05, 2016
PLANETMARS:
Op u dey mad wella for head so for where wizkid dey u say make I call Airforce1 for show?

U might invite wizkid n he gives u a dull show, while airforce 1 can give all into it

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2016
MadCow1:
Degree..

Mad cow, the cowboy says hi
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by mikkypel(m): 1:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
Uchemus:
now people with poor grades will begin to justify this claim., perfect excuse to perform poorly in school. #trash #lawma

Read well b4 u vomit trash and disgusting words... Some first class students got it through back doors while some Second class or third class got it with all their efforts.. Remember I used the word SOME.. all fingers are not equal, God did not create brains the same
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by ckmayoca: 1:32pm On Jan 05, 2016
dazzle101:

I put it to you NO ONE with a first class could have sorted their way through... absolutely no way.

Take that to the bank cool

Anyway, I never witnessed that but amongst friends, I hear it often and well. Whatever sha.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2016
Chartey:
Those grades were created for a reason.

Yes there are people who graduate with poor grades and eventually become successful but the majority end up achieving limited success in life. Those who become successful put in the hard work they neglected in school.

Good grades in school are not due to brilliance alone. They're also due to hard work, diligence, self-control, discipline, responsibility, good planning, focus, tenacity and other qualities.

Outside school, these qualities also make good employees (and employers) so it's only rational for recruiters to prefer graduates with such grades to others.

So if you're still in school make your good grades so that things will likely be easier for you outside school. A strong foundation is always a good thing.

Lalasticlala why are you keeping this beautiful topic from the people?
https://www.nairaland.com/2814646/beautiful-work-art-christmas-gift

With this, I don't need to add anything anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Sheikwonder(m): 1:43pm On Jan 05, 2016
Chartey:
Those grades were created for a reason.

Yes there are people who graduate with poor grades and eventually become successful but the majority end up achieving limited success in life. Those who become successful put in the hard work they neglected in school.

Good grades in school are not due to brilliance alone. They're also due to hard work, diligence, self-control, discipline, responsibility, good planning, focus, tenacity and other qualities.

Outside school, these qualities also make good employees (and employers) so it's only rational for recruiters to prefer graduates with such grades to others.

So if you're still in school make your good grades so that things will likely be easier for you outside school. A strong foundation is always a good thing.

I read this post and then scrolled past it,but I couldn't help but scroll back up and like it. One needs not say anymore,the post is clear and its message apt.

God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by ellafuchsiaordi(f): 1:51pm On Jan 05, 2016
..good grades don't necessarily mean that a person studied very hard or was hardworking school..people sort their way thru school these so youbcan find a person with first-class that is no good on the job..employers shouldn't grade potential employees on their grades alone..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

S S S Recruiting Test / How Can Someone Apply For Short Service In Nigeria Military? / You’re Not Getting The Job – 25 Reasons Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.