Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,429 members, 7,822,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations (31236 Views)

Unemployment Fear Grows As More Nigerians Lose Jobs / Lacasera Shuts Down Operations; Sacks All Staff / 60,000 Construction Workers Lose Jobs In 4 Months - Vanguard News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jan 05, 2016
:oThis is really a pitiable situation!!

Pardon ma English.....
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by enitiObanke(m): 7:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing action by the company. Telcos have reclaimed their possession being data market. CDMA's can relocate to the villages with their dial up or VPN connections ....

Where is lalasticlala sef grin

Guy, pls find out. Most developed countries (found out about the USA) use CDMA technology for mobile telephony, not the GSM technology we use here. CDMA is clearly the way forward.....

1 Like

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
Fadman4real:
All you people blaming Buhari should at least use your heads once in a while.

Is it Buhari that would help Vodafone manage their buisness.

Some dudes
1. If they fail their exams Buhari
2. They fail to get a girlfriend Buhari
3. Thievs attacked them Buhari
4. Their girlfriend dumps them Buhari

At least think for yourselves
Dem girlfriends gets Pregnant! ......na Buhari grin grin grin
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by ibisko04: 7:46pm On Jan 05, 2016
Kikero112:

So you are blaming Bubu for a problem that started long before he came into office.

CDMA companies in Nigeria have been having problems for ages.

However, it’s the CDMA who’s ultimately responsible for their troubles with widespread corporate mismanagement, including, but not limited to its non-compliance with laid down internal controls and operation procedures, biased recruitment exercises and general lack luster management practices.

These issues alone are bad enough, however, to make matters worse over the years CDMA operators have regularly and consciously ignored sustained and systematic red flags as their promoters and managers diverted funds meant for expansion into frivolous projects like manufacturing, oil and gas, elections, just to name a few.

The misappropriation of funds and inability of unified license holders to roll out services has not helped matters, fueling subscribers’ preference toward GSM services.

Due to these poor business practices and mishandling of funds some CDMA companies are already dead and decomposing, those remaining have reportedly axed large chunks of their workforce due to their hemorrhaging finances.(Sauce)

And the PDP government that you people love was responsible for some of the policies that hamstrung CDMA companies/providers like Visafone..

Sorry PDP members...but if you want to blame someone....blame your dear darling PDP and the CDMA companies......not Buhari.

Don't mind the wailers. Because they don't understand what they are commenting about.
This is a typical example of wailing wailers stupidity.
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jan 05, 2016
Chai! Very bad for the workers! I know somebodi dat works there
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Henovy: 7:54pm On Jan 05, 2016
hahn:
All I need is a refund for the modem I bought from them before they go
Are you serious? Engage a lawyer for 50k or put your modem in the museum. Which is better?

2 Likes

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 05, 2016
Saw this a long time.
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Jacko01: 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2016
Y wont they pack up..... They wud av stil being in business if they were offering half the rate for data plans. Gsm were charging but no.... They were even more expensive...... Serves them rite
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by obstead200(m): 7:58pm On Jan 05, 2016
Realdeals:
It is expected! CDMA cannot contend with GSM. Their mate Starcomms, Multilinks, Reltel and co has foldup since. What I expect the CDMA players to do is concentrate on data services but they Bleep up.
u are right. They shud have struggled to increase their share of the data market. But it wud have also been a losing battle seeing that almost every one prefers to have both voice and data in one package, (I.e in one SIM). Except large corporations, some medium size firms, and services that don't require voice (e.g POS units and atm stands)

Another option wud have been to seek for a gsm licence (a much more costly option)

1 Like

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Etizz: 8:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
Chaiii.... Nothing good is coming from dis country anymore....
But I know one day, we shall overcome all diz trials.....
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by anigold(m): 8:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
Blackberrybabes:
In what seems to be one of the aftermath of a down-trodden economy , a major CDMA Telecoms provider in Nigeria, Visafone has just closed down operations in the provision of telecommunication services.

Consequently, thousand of the companies employees have been disengaged from their jobs with effect for today the 5th of january 2016, with just 3 months pay as severance. The only categories of staff left are the personnel on the transmission team.

This has definitely aggravated the affected employees who are set for a show down with the Visafone Management.

More updates to come later

Lalasticlala

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2016/01/thousands-of-workers-lose-jobs-as.html

Chai nawao this is not good ooo..
I really pity the affected folks....
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by OBAGADAFFI: 8:13pm On Jan 05, 2016
fabolouz1:
I tot Jim Ovia was a genius.

Jim is still a genius.

He sold Visafone to MTN.
The process has been on for more the a year.
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by bluesky30(f): 8:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
#Grapevine# Visafone now belongs 2 MTN.

1 Like

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by chesterlee(m): 8:19pm On Jan 05, 2016
ibisko04:

Change is here to stay. Everything will soon feel the better side of change.
This is just the economic reworking stages. We will soon move to starting stages and then to the blisters stages where everyone will sing a new economic song's of praises.

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
And some spineless NCC wants to sanction MTN.
Bloody stewpid parasites
Come and take budget money na....

Naija, your change is here, TAKE IT!
Mmstteewww
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
how come my visa fone still dy work abg mak una bring better news jor

undecided

LEAVE TRASH FOR LAWMA
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Tundeiab(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2016
JaypeeAnics:
You all should submit your CV to the FG....they have teaching jobs for you guys in the north.....its a teaching job......or you chose to be jobless and collect 5k monthly......it s your choice..

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by 2n2k(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2016
snadguy007:
I thought MTN bought them

Don't mind those bloggers that do not know jack

MTN and Visafone concluded the combination of their operations effective from today. On merger, Visafone as a name and separate company ceased to exist and its staff had to be given new employment contract with MTN except those not retained.

Note that the services to former Visafone's customers still continue without interruption.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by OBAGADAFFI: 8:30pm On Jan 05, 2016
philipzz:
how come my visa fone still dy work abg mak una bring better news jor

undecided

LEaAVE TRASH FOR LAWMA

It will still work, all subscriber will be migrated to MTN
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by redcap: 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2016
Lalasticlala,pls pull down this thread as no such thing is happening.this is a big negative marketing for the company.I can tell you authoritively that MTN bought a mojority stake and has decided to rebrand the network and I believe this is a better deal for both staff and other stakeholders.people should aways confirm some info before absorbing it.

4 Likes

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by olutunde12(m): 8:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
Our brothers will blame jonathan for this but will be fast to claim the success recorded with the refineries!
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by smarthG(f): 8:59pm On Jan 05, 2016
APC CHAIN-GE.

Gradually crippling PDP with probe to retain a one party system of government.

We are watching.
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by ibroauthen(m): 9:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
deeswagger:
Visafone was sure to go down, sorry to say this but I expect people to have ported from that company but they can't, considering the fact there is no where to port to... Be like say people go fat for Naija this year dis to excess sleep and joblessness...

Dirk bukkenberg high top shoes available...

For how much?
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by heatmeup(f): 9:13pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nokia sef don send peeps go their house ooooooo.this buhari better act fast on our economy
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by wazobiaN9(m): 9:14pm On Jan 05, 2016
deeswagger:
Visafone was sure to go down, sorry to say this but I expect people to have ported from that company but they can't, considering the fact there is no where to port to... Be like say people go fat for Naija this year dis to excess sleep and joblessness...

Dirk bukkenberg high top shoes available...

Eur 44 or uk 10 available.. ? How much?
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 05, 2016
Cpumping:
this new year,

its well
It's going to get worse before it gets better.
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by Judeblade24(m): 9:19pm On Jan 05, 2016
I saw d hand writing bodly written on the wall
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by oduma(m): 9:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
@REDCAP who are the staffs remaining? is mtn paying any member of the transaction team? & after the 2 months transaction period what happens to the members of the team. 99% of visafone staffs were asked to resign & paid 3 months.
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by adrusa: 9:28pm On Jan 05, 2016
chesterlee:
This is just the Genesis by the time we get to Malachi....Even El Rufai will stone the tyrant!!!

When next una hear change...Kindly ask for the meaning!!!

So, who killed Multilinks, Intercellular and Starcomms before Buhari came on board? His ghost?

1 Like

Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by onatisi(m): 9:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
This is just the beginning. After 2 years of the dullard tenure in power ,Nigerians will wish they never even knew the name buhari not to talk of voting him into power. The economy is in shambles and job losses keep mounting each passing day yet ppl are still pretending and acting as if everything is normal
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by deeswagger: 9:40pm On Jan 05, 2016
wazobiaN9:

Eur 44 or uk 10 available.. ? How much?

Yes, it is
Re: Thousands Of Workers Lose Jobs As Visafone Winds Down Operations by deeswagger: 9:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
ibroauthen:

For how much?

34k grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'I Left My Last Job Because My Boss Put His Hands On A Female Employee' - Man / Geologists And Mining Engrs: Let's Talk Here / Keke Napep Driver Returns N582,400 Forgotten By Female Trader (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.