Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,355 members, 7,812,006 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government (2373 Views)

Herdsmen Invade Wole Soyinka's Residence In Ogun / Evander Holyfield Fights Bola Tinubu In Lagos, Wole Soyinka Is Referee-pm NEWS / "I Am Pro-Biafra" – Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by midolian(m): 11:17pm On Jan 06, 2016
Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka has reiterated his warning that when confronted, corruption does fight back.

In a brief statement issued this evening, headed ‘Those Who Flounder In The Sewage of Corruption,”, he acknowledged the unflattering comments of the Rivers State government about the 80th birthday dinner to which he was hosted by the former governor and now Minister of Aviation, Honorable Rotimi Amechi.  

Speaking to press correspondents on Tuesday, the Rivers Commissioner for Information and Communication, Dr. Austin Tam-George, accused Mr. Amaechi’s government of spending N82 million on the event.  

“A government that did not pay salaries, closed the courts, but the administration had the courage to expend N82million to fund a dinner for Prof Wole Soyinka,” he had said. “These are facts on ground. The Amaechi administration expended the money under the heading of borrowed funds.”

In a follow-up comment on radio on Wednesday, the commissioner said he would seek the permission of Governor Nyesom Wike to write to Professor Soyinka to find out he was paid part of the money by the Amaechi administration.

Professor Soyinka said he had first ignored reports about the remarks, as it was not, and is not his business to probe into the catering and logistical implications of the hundreds of institutions and governments all over the world who have offered him unsolicited recognition over the years.

“Since then however, I have learnt of some unsavory statements by the insecure incumbent of the Rivers State government Lodge,” he said, adding that they included a loose invitation to anti-crime agencies to investigate the potential crime of being honoured through any occasion. 

“The unprecedented call by this governor is prescient of a warning I recounted in my recent pamphlet publication THE REPUBLIC OF LIARS, and was taken from my address to an anti-corruption global conference that took place in Tunisia two years ago,” he recalled.  “Those words were: CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK.  In this ongoing instance, that expression translates most vividly as ‘Those who are neck deep in the sewage of corruption ensure that they splatter sewage in all possible and improbable directions.’”

“I do however fully support the Wikeleaks call for multi-directional probes,” he continued.  “I recommend further that he involve the services of INTERPOL to guarantee its extension to all international organisations and governments to whom I owe uncountable events of recognition – including birthday luncheons, dinners, cultural receptions and events of real, fictitious, or simply opportunistic flavoring - to which I have submitted myself.” 

Prof. Soyinka expressed regret about what he called the present level of abominable distractions.  

“It is one that even I did not envisage when I warned – CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK!” he said.  

Throwing the matter over to “EFCC and company,” and reminding them that they all know where he lives, he concluded, “Whether it brings honour or dishonour to the nation is another matter – I am saddened, but indifferent.”

http://saharareporters.com/2016/01/06/%E2%80%98saddened-indifferent%E2%80%99-wole-soyinka-answers-rivers-state-government

Lalasticlala

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by LadyExcellency: 11:31pm On Jan 06, 2016
People are confessing how much they received from $2.1 billion Dasukigate.

Oga Prof, tell us how large or small was your package or better still return the cash gift and clear your name.

It is inhuman for you to support such flamboyant expenses splashed on you by a government owing his people their monthly salary at the time such honour was done on you.
You've eaten blood money.

Speaking grammar won't save your reputation this time better than doing the needful which is vomiting the yam you ate.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by bokohalal(m): 11:40pm On Jan 06, 2016
LadyExcellency:
People are confessing how much they received from $2.1 Dasukigate.

Oga Prof, tell us how large or small was your package or better still return the cash gift and clear your name.

It is inhuman for you to support such flamboyant expenses splashed on you by a government owing his people their monthly salary at the time such honour was done on you.
You've eaten blood money.

Speaking grammar won't save your reputation this time better than doing the needful which is vomiting the yam you ate.
WS just mentioned your type in his statement.

15 Likes

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Naijiant: 11:42pm On Jan 06, 2016

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Lordwize(m): 11:44pm On Jan 06, 2016
Prof Wole, you wined and dined ryt? All your grammar no sweet me right now o, sorry o.
Who sent you, go eat polithiefcian dinner, you no run.
God help you sha.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by LadyExcellency: 11:49pm On Jan 06, 2016
bokohalal:

WS just mentioned your type in his statement.

My type is classy and adorable hence you're not making any sense.

Please, take your hero worship to the dungeon and drop your opinion on his submission as stated or get lost if you've none.

Are you a gossip? Why picking on me.

As Prof may want you to know, Intelligence resides with my generation and I intend to exercise it fully by asking questions, which I just did and proffering solutions to problems when needed. I have the comparative advantage.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by ddippset(m): 12:18am On Jan 07, 2016
I think Wike should take his evidence to efcc. But just in case efcc is biased towards apc members, then Wike should just publish his evidence for só that Amaechi may be tried in the 'street court'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Solowande(m): 12:34am On Jan 07, 2016
prof wole, i remember when u said dat politic is a dirty game, hw come u are now dining with dirty money

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by RockMaxi: 1:17am On Jan 07, 2016
Solowande:
prof wole, i remember when u said dat politic is a dirty game, hw come u are now dining with dirty money

Wow! You didn't read how soyinka dedicated a paragraph to your mention.

Other countries that have been hosting him have also been doing that with dirty money abi?
You need to contact INTERPOL.
grin

4 Likes

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Solowande(m): 1:28am On Jan 07, 2016
RockMaxi:

Wow! You didn't read how soyinka dedicated a paragraph to your mention.

Other countries that have been hosting him have also been doing that with dirty money abi?
You need to contact INTERPOL.
grin
who nor dey eat ogbono food nor dey taste d meat
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by DetectiveDeb: 1:40am On Jan 07, 2016

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by cannonnier(m): 1:52am On Jan 07, 2016
midolian:
Those Who Flounder In The Sewage of Corruption,”,
sight Wole. that's why he looks like a pig.
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by cannonnier(m): 1:52am On Jan 07, 2016
midolian:
Those Who Flounder In The Sewage of Corruption,”,
sight Wole. that's why he looks like a pig.
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by DeRoyalFranco(m): 3:18am On Jan 07, 2016
Baba i salute you o.. Every birthday party was a hit.
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Gayigaskia(m): 3:47am On Jan 07, 2016
Look at that VIP table , it only has water on it. How can this party costs 82 M naiara, I definitly don't think so. Someone is lying

2 Likes

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Ama80(f): 4:06am On Jan 07, 2016
Partisan wole.mingling with politicians is evil and degrading and makes respected elder statesmen like u judgmentally impaired.my advice;stay out and away from Nig politheifians for integrity sake.
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by dunkem21(m): 5:27am On Jan 07, 2016
Gayigaskia:
Look at that VIP table , it only has water on it. How can this party costs 82 M naiara, I definitly don't think so. Someone is lying

Youre right ..

They siphoned the N82m and gave guests water grin

Crooks.

2 Likes

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by mysteriousman(m): 5:28am On Jan 07, 2016
I don't believe this
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by Nobody: 5:50am On Jan 07, 2016
grin
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by modath(f): 5:55am On Jan 07, 2016
midolian:

How are you? May 2016 be a year of great & fulfilling things for you !! Was about to send out a missing person brief!smiley

@topic!

Anyone who believes that banquet cost 10% of the bandied sum is just being mischievous.

That the government, appropriated & actually retired that sum, One is not in any place able to speak for or against but it definitely didn't go into hosting prof!!

Wike is a funny souln his days are numbered, he is just having his last dance!! sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by adioolayi(m): 6:31am On Jan 07, 2016
Saddened my name was muddled in a controversial way, my integrity was dampened.... but in all, I am not moved!

- Prof Wole Soyinka
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by JohnFrankling(m): 6:48am On Jan 07, 2016
Prof, did you eat the money or not, bone the grammar..
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by bigerboy200: 6:49am On Jan 07, 2016
ok
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by LadyExcellency: 8:04am On Jan 07, 2016
Any news, has Prof returned the cash gift?
Is he still blowing grammar to intimidate his critics?

We need an update

2 Likes

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by midolian(m): 7:41pm On Jan 07, 2016
modath:

How are you? May 2016 be a year of great & fulfilling things for you !! Was about to send out a missing person brief!smiley

@topic!

Anyone who believes that banquet cost 10% of the bandied sum is just being mischievous.

That the government, appropriated & actually retired that sum, One is not in any place able to speak for or against but it definitely didn't go into hosting prof!!

Wike is a funny souln his days are numbered, he is just having his last dance!! sad
I am fine, thank you dear. I wish you the same. smiley I have seriously missed seeing your posts while they are hot. How are you and the family?

--------
Wicked wike is breathing his last..don't be surprised @ the tantrum that comes out of his mouth.
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by modath(f): 8:01pm On Jan 07, 2016
midolian:
I am fine, thank you dear. I wish you the same. smiley I have seriously missed seeing your posts while they are hot. How are you and the family?

--------
Wicked wike is breathing his last..don't be surprised @ the tantrum that comes out of his mouth.

We are doing great, believe you are doing well too..

I'm still here gidigba ooo... Knocking some heads till real life knocks .. smiley

1 Like

Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by midolian(m): 8:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
Powerful lalasticlala, na fight? angry
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by joseph1832(m): 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2016
midolian:
Powerful lalasticlala, na fight? angry
Bros everyday no be christmas na. Lol. grin
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by midolian(m): 7:32pm On Jan 08, 2016
joseph1832:
Bros everyday no be christmas na. Lol. grin
no be so bro! U sef know say no be today na...As some pipu wan spoil prof name, I wan make hin redeem hin image small..I neva still see soyinka response for FP, na why I stil dey call hin attention be that.
Re: ‘saddened But Indifferent', Wole Soyinka Answers Rivers State Government by joseph1832(m): 8:46pm On Jan 08, 2016
midolian:
no be so bro! U sef know say no be today na...As some pipu wan spoil prof name, I wan make hin redeem hin image small..I neva still see soyinka response for FP, na why I stil dey call hin attention be that.
I understand you bros. No matter how Wike and his band of recalcitrant corrupt individuals try to taint the name of Wole Soyinka, they will everly be put to shame.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

REVEALED: Akpabio's Nicodemus Meeting With Tinubu. / Call Off Military Action In South-east Now, Ohanaeze Ndigbo Tells Nigerian Govt. / Senator Ben Bruce Shared Photo To Show Why Nigeria Need To Be Restructured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.