Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,113 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture (22882 Views)

Ceos Hub Ventures Into Agriculture As It Introduces Ch Farms. / Two Nigerians Go Into Agriculture Because Of Economic Hardship. Pictures / Pls How Far Would N400000 Go In Investing Into Agriculture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by philipnw: 2:35pm On Jan 13, 2016
ur list is incomplete, wer is palm oil plantation crude palm kernel oil business
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by IBROHIM: 2:38pm On Jan 13, 2016
Please can someone enlighten me on hatchery of day old chicks! Anyone with materials on how to go about it?
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by kado(m): 2:39pm On Jan 13, 2016
ooook.. noted
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Hembelembe: 2:49pm On Jan 13, 2016
I love vegetable and fish farming but d issue am having is space.
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Afribest(m): 2:52pm On Jan 13, 2016
Salex007:
Na WEED be the way forward
Weedlord
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Justicealh3(m): 3:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
Want to go for Okra and Beekeeping...

Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by 400billionman: 3:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
Banana and Plantain farming..

Snail in tandem. So on point..
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Preetybuoy(m): 3:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
A lot of times i see lots of Nairaland farmer's, and intending farmers talk about snail farming, how to start it up and all but i think we really need to create a trend on how to market this animals, share names and addresses of potential buyers and more ideas on where to sell this snails, grass cutter's rabbits and so on.

i have a friend who ventured into snail farming and ended up eating and wasting most of them in the end due to unavailable ready market.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Jeezuzpick(m): 3:58pm On Jan 13, 2016
Salex007:

grin
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by atinicrown(m): 4:40pm On Jan 13, 2016
Salex007:
Na jail be the final journey

3 Likes

Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by bigass123(m): 4:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
May God help the youths of this generation.. Amen
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Moyanbe(m): 4:56pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nice write up @op. More still need to be considered. Agriculture is an industry that all nations must support.
...... Proudly a farmer and a consultant.
.... Learn more about plantain at www.farmlifeng.com
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by millhouse: 5:02pm On Jan 13, 2016
Drgleave:
I heareded
nice
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by ilubarde: 5:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
Pavore9:
Folks in the South west should be smart enough to grow veggies and spices such cabbage, lettuce, coriander, parsley, cucumber, mint, celery etc for the huge Lagos market which share the same population size of Cameroon rather than the stereotyped thought it has to be grown in the North, haulage through the south western states before they end up on the tables of Lagosians! All these crops are harvested between 45 to 90 days

The day Ogun State and Oyo State would wake up to the massive potential of dairy farming, is when they would realize they have wasted their time waiting on monthly allocation from Abuja. Diary farming is not a Northern preserve, it can be practised across Nigeria adopting zero grazing. A litre of pasteurized milk bought at the dispensing machine sells between N120-N140 across Kenya because diary farming is no longer a big deal as one can get a litre of raw milk for N60. These States should train their people on diary farming, so that we can have thousands of small holder farmers who should be producing an average of 250 litres daily that would be centrally collected, processed and sold to their local markets and transported in tankers to Lagos to meet the demands of the millions there! It is no rocket science as it is a common sight seeing tankers of milk on Kenya highways!

Excellent on dairy farming!!! Very good on all other things. You sure know what you are talking about, man! Keep it up!!!
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by kayjegs: 7:39pm On Jan 13, 2016
Like the OP said, some of these ideas have been discussed on nairaland. You can check the following thread, it gives you some cost and profit analysis of these agricultural ventures.

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need

or

https://www.nairaland.com/1182280/funds-not-business-actually-need

Have a nice day
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by ThunderingHooves: 7:48pm On Jan 13, 2016
Pavore9:
Folks in the South west should be smart enough to grow veggies and spices such cabbage, lettuce, coriander, parsley, cucumber, mint, celery etc for the huge Lagos market which share the same population size of Cameroon rather than the stereotyped thought it has to be grown in the North, haulage through the south western states before they end up on the tables of Lagosians! All these crops are harvested between 45 to 90 days
The day Ogun State and Oyo State would wake up to the massive potential of dairy farming, is when they would realize they have wasted their time waiting on monthly allocation from Abuja. Diary farming is not a Northern preserve, it can be practised across Nigeria adopting zero grazing. A litre of pasteurized milk bought at the dispensing machine sells between N120-N140 across Kenya because diary farming is no longer a big deal as one can get a litre of raw milk for N60. These States should train their people on diary farming, so that we can have thousands of small holder farmers who should be producing an average of 250 litres daily that would be centrally collected, processed and sold to their local markets and transported in tankers to Lagos to meet the demands of the millions there! It is no rocket science as it is a common sight seeing tankers of milk on Kenya highways!
Nice one @Pavore9 what is the general disposition of Nigerians towards consumption of fresh milk(as opposed to peak and powdered milk).This i think is important in planning a dairy venture.

Is the state you mentioned amenable to delicate dairy cows?
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by dadson2009(m): 8:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nice one
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by sweeteck369(m): 8:55pm On Jan 13, 2016
I would love to see your ideas in a more comprehensive manner and not bullet points that are scanty.
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by grailife(m): 9:34pm On Jan 13, 2016
I have catfish pond and am using the water from my pond to grow vegetables during dry season, its doing well, its very lucrative

1 Like

Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by olupapparazy(m): 11:20pm On Jan 13, 2016
Lord help me as I am about to dive into small scale poultry business. Ijn

1 Like

Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by classicdude1(m): 12:20am On Jan 14, 2016
I was looking 4 palm oil plantation....
pls a barrel of Palm oil cost more than a barrel of crude oil....
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by LLKJSays(m): 4:02am On Jan 14, 2016
Thank you for Posting
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Masky2000: 6:05pm On Jan 14, 2016
victree007:
Into Pig Farming Already. I'll need to research more on Hatchery and Flour Milling. They sound interesting

Please can you give me idea on how to start pig farming and how much it will cost start,

Thank you
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Yeecar(m): 6:09pm On Jan 19, 2016
Nice list....
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by mikolo80: 3:36pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavore9:

you've forgotten about tse tse fly abi
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Pavore9: 3:55pm On Jun 21, 2016
mikolo80:
you've forgotten about tse tse fly abi

A read of the link would help out.

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/173224/icode/
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by mikolo80: 3:58pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavore9:

A read of the link would help out.

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/173224/icode/
our farmers can't afford net for their kids and themselves ,na cow dem go fit afford net for ?
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Pavore9: 4:02pm On Jun 21, 2016
mikolo80:
our farmers can't afford net for their kids and themselves ,na cow dem go fit afford net for ?

For those who wants to see milk production as a business, it part of their production cost.
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by mikolo80: 4:15pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavore9:

For those who wants to see milk production as a business, it part of their production cost.
how many ppl with capital willing to move back to rural area,while people in rural area do not have capital
i am proposing partnership between the 2
teach(entrepreneurship) farmers to become consultants(skilled labour) for cooperatives(capital) cos land(land) just de waste
personally i think south should export grass to north for cow feeding to reduce or plant grass and turn to silage for dry season
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Pavore9: 4:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
mikolo80:
how many ppl with capital willing to move back to rural area,while people in rural area do not have capital
i am proposing partnership between the 2
teach(entrepreneurship) farmers to become consultants(skilled labour) for cooperatives(capital) cos land(land) just de waste
personally i think south should export grass to north for cow feeding to reduce or plant grass and turn to silage for dry season
Kenya

With my engagement around Kenya, l insist that the South can do well in dairy farming.
Re: 15 Great Ideas To Consider If You Are Going Into Agriculture by Consiglier: 5:03pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pavore9:
Kenya

With my engagement around Kenya, l insist that the South can do well in dairy farming.

The consumption of fresh milk here could be an issue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

'Tomato Ebola' Destroys 40% Of Nigerian-Grown Tomatoes / Are You Into Buying And Selling Of Agricultural Products? Kindly Join Our Group / How Many Rabbits Do You See?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.