Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,047 members, 7,810,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper (3836 Views)

Yes, I Married You For Sex: How A Wife Sparked Up The Sex Life Of Her Hubby / Her Sister Likes Tying Wrapper Alot Ever Since She Got Married / Man Backs A Baby With Wrapper At Bus Stop In Lagos This Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by johnwizey: 3:12pm On Jan 13, 2016
See this yeye man o, after wey u don stand for one hour for queue, you enter bus come give up your seat for ordinary woman…silly woman wrapper like you".
We were all passengers on a Lagos BRT bus.The fully loaded bus, bursting at the seams, with passengers "hanging" "bumper-to-bumper" on the long aisle, was heading towards Obalende from Ajah. Earlier, at the BRT terminus, I had arrived to join some passengers standing impatiently in a long, winding queue. But there was no bus in sight. After more than an hour’s wait under the blazing Lagos sun, a bus finally arrived. Inside, passengers crammed into every available space. I settled into a seat close to the aisle anno d the journey soon began. Then I noticed her. The lady, the subject of the bigoted "woman wrapper" outburst from a middle-aged man was standing a few bodies away. She was sandwiched between two men. With a heavy travelling bag in one hand, a heavy Ghana- must-go bag also dangled on her left shoulder.

At a point in the journey, the driver stepped hard on the brake to avoid hitting a car that had suddenly swerved in front of him. The force of the jolt sent passengers reeling forward. The lady in question was slammed against the man standing directly in front of her. He complained loudly about her bag getting in his way but made no attempt to relieve her of the burden. At this point, I stood up and beckoned on her to take my seat while I took the heavy travelling bag off her. The lady had hardly taken her seat when all hell was let loose.
The middle-aged man who was previously engrossed in an old crumpled newspaper looked from the girl to me and back to the girl again. You could see the contempt in his eyes – which translates to something like,‘’How can you stand up for a mere woman? Then he let out his tirades. I was too shocked to utter a word. The passengers on our part of the bus obviously enjoyed a good laugh when he labelled me a woman wrapper. He kept on ranting about why women do not deserve anybody’s favour. The fact of a man vacating the only seat in a bus for a woman seems to be alien and a taboo for this Lagosian. And to think that the passengers also included upscale well- dressed young men and women who laughed and looked at me strangely as if I had committed a sacrilege painted a picture of how our society denigrates and treats her women.
But I had seen it all before. Nigeria is the worst place to be a woman. This is a society that sneers at her female gender. Most men have bigoted view about them. Some even treat their wives as subordinates. Or worse, even. A woman is almost less than human here. It is also sometimes shocking how other women join such prejudiced men to perpetuate these biases. For example, a woman is more likely to condemn another woman over her choice of dressing. In our society, one often hears sexists use derogatory terms such as ‘’ordinary woman’ or ‘’common woman’’ to describe a female. This perception has metamorphosed into more dangerous forms of intolerance against the womenfolk. The chauvinism against women, one of which was blatantly displayed on the BRT bus was nothing new. In Lagos, like in most parts of Nigeria, women are subjected to more terrible forms of degrading treatment. For example, we all grew up to learn of the popular saying that ‘’a woman’s place is in the kitchen’’.

In spite of major achievements by the women liberation movement of yore and the feminist voices that have pushed women issues into public discourse, the glass ceiling has turned steely. In politics, corporate boardrooms, and on the streets, women are still the subject of ancient stereotypes that reinforce the ‘’weaker s*x’’ myth. You often find people, especially men, use certain derogatory terms that strengthen
these beliefs. For example, a man who is not ‘’sharp’’ while driving in Lagos is said to be ‘’driving like a woman’’. Expressions like “why you dey behave like a woman”, is common. A woman who owns or drives a new car is the envy of others: “don’t mind her, no be man buy the car give am, ashawo.” In the eyes of many, a woman cannot build a house, own a brand new car without a sugar daddy or aristo somewhere doling out the cash. An uncle recently told me not to trust any woman! “Ah, no trust any woman o-even your wife’’, he hollered. One Yoruba proverb even says “a woman is your wife, has children for you does not mean she will not bring her husband misfortune”. The bias also starts when a female child is born. Recently, when my neighbour’s wife gave birth, the man refused to throw a party like he did previously for his male child. He told me: “Sebi na girl”. It was also recently reported that a man refused to visit his wife in the hospital when he learnt of the child's s*x!
The one that beats me is the pressure the society puts on single women to get married.Another Yoruba proverb even proudly announces that “a man is the crown on a woman’s head”. That is why many women will endure the most bizarre form of domestic violence to stay married. Many even attribute delay in marriage for ladies as something of a curse. This explains why single ladies besiege spiritual centres for deliverance in search of Mr. Right.  I have also lived long enough to know that a single lady living alone is either promiscuous or a queer. But this is strange as all human beings have the right to choose the way they want to live without being the subject of bizarre and denigrating stereotypes. Now my verdict: I believe prejudice about women will be a thing of the past if all men will as from today, yes, today you are reading this article, act, respect and speak up against practices that belittle women-even at the risk of being labelled a woman wrapper. As for me, I have chosen to be one instead of keeping silence.

cc; lalasticlala, seun, RoyalRoy

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Kayoski(m): 3:16pm On Jan 13, 2016
All this long story because of woman?

Truly u are a woman wrapper

Can your husband material sew tie?

8 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 13, 2016
I never read so are you husband material I'm looking for the perfect wrapper undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by msporche(f): 3:18pm On Jan 13, 2016
Spot on OP, the society view females as a lesser gender and it's quite disturbing. But I think it is getting a bit better cos the society is getting to know the true virtue of we women. Wish it can get to the FP. Lalasticlala food don done

10 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by fammo: 3:20pm On Jan 13, 2016
Let me jus book space, will be back to give my comments
Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by johnwizey: 3:29pm On Jan 13, 2016
Nubian113:
I never read so are you husband material I'm looking for the perfect wrapper blanket undecided

1 Like

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by johnson232: 4:00pm On Jan 13, 2016
So someone spent all his time writing this rubbish....

If it was a man, will u give up your seat for him?

Na woman go kill u...
Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 13, 2016
OP, you're just a good and decent human being.

11 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by zed7: 5:40pm On Jan 13, 2016
Our society is unfair to women but women then choose to be unfair to themselves, that's what baffles me most.

3 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by lilmax(m): 5:58pm On Jan 13, 2016
Rubbish

You stood up because you saw her as weak.....smh

And yet you said they are not lesser beings,its not a bad thing to see them as weak though,thats where the protection comes in

3 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by oluafam: 2:48am On Jan 14, 2016
johnson232:
So someone spent all his time writing this rubbish....

If it was a man, will u give up your seat for him?

Na woman go kill u...
Woman will never kill him rather she will make him a better and happier person. ewu kanbia

10 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Pidggin(f): 4:24am On Jan 14, 2016
Original women wrappers don't fade. OP, you get sense

2 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by johnson232: 7:17am On Jan 14, 2016
oluafam:
Woman will never kill him rather she will make him a better and happier person. ewu kanbia
Hahahahaha....
@bold, which woman?
The one u created, or the one God created that ended up disobeying God just few days of her existence as human?

Don't make me laugh abeg.... smiley

If u are hoping on a woman for happiness and being a better person, then u are on a long thing.....

3 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by oluafam: 10:33am On Jan 14, 2016
johnson232:

Hahahahaha....
@bold, which woman?
The one u created, or the one God created that ended up disobeying God just few days of her existence as human?

If u are hoping on a woman for happiness and being a better person, then u are on a long thing.....
From the tone of your words, I can feel u lacked some motherly care or maybe she wasn't a good wife to your father(no insult intended). Sorry darling, there are plenty of good and virtuous women out there.

It's a pity u are unlucky.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by johnson232: 1:17pm On Jan 14, 2016
oluafam:
From the tone of your words, I can feel u lacked some motherly care or maybe she wasn't a good wife to your father(no insult intended). Sorry darling, there are plenty of good and virtuous women out there.

It's a pity u are unlucky.
Hahaha haha....
No kill me with laughter abeg... cheesy

@bold, what make's u think so?

1 Like

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 15, 2016
johnwizey:

But I had seen it all before. Nigeria is the worst place to be a woman. This is a society that sneers at her female gender. Most men have bigoted view about them. Some even treat their wives as subordinates. Or worse, even. A woman is almost less than human here. It is also sometimes shocking how other women join such prejudiced men to perpetuate these biases. For example, a woman is more likely to condemn another woman over her choice of dressing. In our society, one often hears sexists use derogatory terms such as ‘’ordinary woman’ or ‘’common woman’’ to describe a female. This perception has metamorphosed into more dangerous forms of intolerance against the womenfolk. The chauvinism against women, one of which was blatantly displayed on the BRT bus was nothing new. In Lagos, like in most parts of Nigeria, women are subjected to more terrible forms of degrading treatment. For example, we all grew up to learn of the popular saying that ‘’a woman’s place is in the kitchen’’.

In spite of major achievements by the women liberation movement of yore and the feminist voices that have pushed women issues into public discourse, the glass ceiling has turned steely. In politics, corporate boardrooms, and on the streets, women are still the subject of ancient stereotypes that reinforce the ‘’weaker s*x’’ myth. You often find people, especially men, use certain derogatory terms that strengthen
these beliefs. For example, a man who is not ‘’sharp’’ while driving in Lagos is said to be ‘’driving like a woman’’. Expressions like “why you dey behave like a woman”, is common. A woman who owns or drives a new car is the envy of others: “don’t mind her, no be man buy the car give am, ashawo.” In the eyes of many, a woman cannot build a house, own a brand new car without a sugar daddy or aristo somewhere doling out the cash. An uncle recently told me not to trust any woman! “Ah, no trust any woman o-even your wife’’, he hollered. One Yoruba proverb even says “a woman is your wife, has children for you does not mean she will not bring her husband misfortune”. The bias also starts when a female child is born. Recently, when my neighbour’s wife gave birth, the man refused to throw a party like he did previously for his male child. He told me: “Sebi na girl”. It was also recently reported that a man refused to visit his wife in the hospital when he learnt of the child's s*x!
The one that beats me is the pressure the society puts on single women to get married.Another Yoruba proverb even proudly announces that “a man is the crown on a woman’s head”. That is why many women will endure the most bizarre form of domestic violence to stay married. Many even attribute delay in marriage for ladies as something of a curse. This explains why single ladies besiege spiritual centres for deliverance in search of Mr. Right.  I have also lived long enough to know that a single lady living alone is either promiscuous or a queer. But this is strange as all human beings have the right to choose the way they want to live without being the subject of bizarre and denigrating stereotypes. Now my verdict: I believe prejudice about women will be a thing of the past if all men will as from today, yes, today you are reading this article, act, respect and speak up against practices that belittle women-even at the risk of being labelled a woman wrapper. As for me, I have chosen to be one instead of keeping silence.

cc; lalasticlala, seun

Forget it, your thread will never see front page.
Write about how women need to be submissive and humble themselves to all men if you want front page.

5 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by somcherry(f): 8:58am On Jan 15, 2016
On point
I hope it gets to the front page

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Biim: 10:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
I am short of words, Op God bless you.

2 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Biim: 10:17pm On Jan 15, 2016
lilmax:
Rubbish

And yet you said they are not lesser beings,its not a bad thing to see them as weak though,thats where the protection comes in

You don't get it do you? He stood up cos she was with so much luggage and was tired. Dont look at and think of women as just women, women are humans too.

5 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by SAMBARRY: 10:22pm On Jan 15, 2016
lilmax:
Rubbish

and the fool thinks he has made sense.when will you ever be wise hennn lil fool?

So it's now a crime to be courteous

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by SAMBARRY: 10:23pm On Jan 15, 2016
grin grin grin
fellis:

Write about how women need to be submissive and humble themselves to all men if you want front page.
Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by cococandy(f): 10:33pm On Jan 15, 2016
OP thank you for at least admitting the truth.

I feel sorry for those who share such opinions as you wrote against in your write-up but worse still, I feel disgust for those who pretend like it doesn't happen or that there's nothing wrong with it.

Kudos. Admitting there's a problem is one step to solving it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by SAMBARRY: 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2016
In addition to what cococandy said

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by lilmax(m): 10:51pm On Jan 15, 2016
Biim:

You don't get it do you? He stood up cos she was with so much luggage and was tired. Dont look at and think of women as just women, women are humans too.
so much luggage and was tired,yeah right

Do you think she was the only one with so much luggage there? undecided

The dude looked at the female not because shes human but because she‘s a woman

If men are to treat women just because they are humans then these privileges would stop and the word “gentleman“ would cease to exist.trust me grin

2 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Fkforyou(m): 11:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
The only thing I find interesting about your post is your empathy towards her, not because she is a woman but because she is human first before a woman.
As for the fool that called you a woman wrapper, you would have asked him what would he say to someone who does thesame thing, if it was his mother or sister that was in that situation. He is worse than a donkey, because to some extent, donkeys can make use of their intellect.

1 Like

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by johnwizey: 11:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
fellis:

Or create a topic asking if I look like terry g
Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Haywhymido(m): 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
Kayoski:
All this long story because of woman?

Truly u are a woman wrapper

Can your husband material sew tie?
certainly No. The mumu dey even call lalasticlala n seun. Exchange the roles of the characters in dat incident n see different result, the question is do u think a lady most esp. a nigerian lady wld stand up for a man in dat same situation No, bah Na dat time dem go sit like king, bring out phone dey press come dey laugh like mumu. It is nt only respect dat shd be reciprocal. What u cant do 4 me i cant do 4 u too. I dont see what u did as wrong, it ur choice n ur life. But as 4 me the most i can do is to help her with bag(ghana must go) #dazall

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Kayoski(m): 11:55pm On Jan 15, 2016
Haywhymido:
certainly No. The mumu dey even call lalasticlala n seun
Dude they campaign for sugar mummies ,the hustle is real.
Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Biim: 12:11am On Jan 16, 2016
lilmax:
so much luggage and was tired,yeah right

Do you think she was the only one with so much luggage there? undecided

The dude looked at the female not because shes human but because she‘s a woman

If men are to treat women just because they are humans then these privileges would stop and the word “gentleman“ would cease to exist.trust me grin

I dont deny the fact that he was drawn to help her because she is a woman, she is human and shouldn't be seen as common or ordinary.
Why would people think of him as woman wrapper cos he helped her? I help people everytime, men and women, boys and girls, cos they are human and they are in need.

You give certain privileges to people because they are humans and every human deserve to be treated with love and respect. The girl was probably with the most luggage and standing somewhere close to him made it easy for him to see him.

Why will I give up my seat for pregnant woman? Is it because she is a woman? No I will do that because she is a human who may probably be weak and has another human growing in her. Its about helping another human who is in need.

Back to the writeup, many men feel that doing stuff for women will make them less than men, they treat women like they are nothing, disrespect them and put them down at every given opportunity and it isn't right.

3 Likes

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by Joy1706(f): 1:32pm On Jan 16, 2016
johnson232:

Hahahahaha....
@bold, which woman?

As you've said it, so shall it be for you in Jesus name. No woman shall ever bring you joy but perpetual sorrow. Amen. You shall never find peace or fulfilment with any woman. Amen. Women shall constantly be a thorn in your flesh. Amen. You will never find a woman who shall love you, support you or encourage you. Join me and say AMEN.
From your lips to God's ears, as you have said, 'if ur hoping on a woman for happiness and being a better person, ur on a long thing'....... I concur and say a big AMEN
Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by HaneefahRN(f): 1:50pm On Jan 16, 2016
Joy1706:

As you've said it, so shall it be for you in Jesus name. No woman shall ever bring you joy but perpetual sorrow. Amen. You shall never find peace or fulfilment with any woman. Amen. Women shall constantly be a thorn in your flesh. Amen. You will never find a woman who shall love you, support you or encourage you. Join me and say AMEN.
From your lips to God's ears, as you have said, 'if ur hoping on a woman for happiness and being a better person, ur on a long thing'....... I concur and say a big AMEN

Harsh but he deserves it and more. I guess he lacked motherly love while growing or his mother is nt a gud wife to his dad.
@ OP, may God bless u

1 Like

Re: Yes!!! I Am A Woman Wrapper by berryBee(f): 3:43pm On Jan 16, 2016
This looks like front page aarticle.. Let me book space cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Elder Sister Feels So Unconcerned / Why Do Men Cheat? / Is My Mum Right To Have Said This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.