Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,860 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) (35344 Views)

Presidency Moves Against Fayose, Aides To Be Invited For Questioning / Pictures Obama Sister Picked Him Wit. VOLKSWAGEN 27 YEARS AGO (photos) / List Of People EFCC Have Invited For Questioning Since Buhari Became President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by cana882(m): 10:41am On Jan 14, 2016
Emeka wake up!! U hav bn kidnapped. Dat is nt DSS
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by sammhi(m): 10:44am On Jan 14, 2016
vedaxcool:
Foolish fellow soon drug barons will claim they were arrested because they criticize the govt.
is it the job of DSS to arrest drug traffickers? stop displaying your stiupidity over PMb obvious tyranny...
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by lekkie073(m): 10:44am On Jan 14, 2016
nigeria's government is working cool
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by sammhi(m): 10:47am On Jan 14, 2016
bet9jaguru:

but to be franc.... "change has truly come"
change in the mould of Gadaffi, Idia amin , Saddam Hussein etc ...hmmmn....guess you are also a despot
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by kingPINN(m): 10:47am On Jan 14, 2016
Raymondenyi:
Inconsequential fellow, a beg go sleep....

Inconsequential fellow?? Please apply wisdom before you make nonsense comment, one day it might be your turn.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 14, 2016
kingdompropty:
A tyrant in the making. Trust me Tinubu and his friends will soon fall victims to the tyrant in power.
...very correct. is either they fall victim or they keep quiet for as long as it will last
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by PASCHAL28: 10:49am On Jan 14, 2016
This is man is an idiot. He thought we do not know more about him. He is a criminal who defrauded Nigeria Embassy in US for over 1.5 million dollars. do not waste your time on him. kindly google about him at google.com them type his name. I leave you with rest. The statements reads:
Disgraced Maryland-based attorney Emeka Ugwuonye, who is at the center of a scam in which he illegally pocketed $1.55 million that belonged to the Nigerian embassy in the US, has suffered yet another legal setback. SaharaReporters has discovered that U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland issued an order on May 5, 2015 dismissing Mr. Ugwuonye’s bankruptcy petition.
Mr. Ugwuonye, who was found liable by a US Superior Court for embezzling $1.55 million belonging to the Nigerian embassy in the US, may have filed for bankruptcy in order to limit his financial liability to the embassy worth more than $2 million.

In 2013, US District Court judge, Barbara Rothstein, had ordered Mr. to immediately refund $1.55 million in tax refunds he stole from the Nigerian embassy in Washington, DC in 2007. Judge Rothstein also held Mr. Ugwuonye liable to a pre-judgment interest at a rate of 6% per annum. The total judgment against the shady lawyer totaled $2,075,131.30 as of July 12, 2013, the date of Judge Rothstein’s verdict.

Judge Rothstein had found Mr. Ugwuonye and his law firm liable for misappropriating $1.55 million in withheld taxes that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) subsequently refunded to the benefit of the Nigerian embassy. The IRS had refunded the funds to the embassy via Mr. Ugwuonye who once represented the embassy and oversaw the sale of the embassy’s buildings in DC and surrounding areas. The tax was refunded because the embassy, as a sovereign entity, is not liable to pay American taxes.

The Bankruptcy Court dismissed Mr. Ugwuonye’s bankruptcy petition due to the lawyer’s failure to pay the $849 balance due on his filing fee. Mr. Ugwuonye’s bankruptcy petition is now deemed imperiled after more than ten days past since the order to complete payment. “We expect the court to declare a formal closure of the case,” said a lawyer who is familiar with the details of the case.

Mr. Ugwuonye can file a new bankruptcy proceeding, provided he pays the full filing fee. SaharaReporters also learned that a lawyer who represented Mr. Ugwuonye in the bankruptcy petition had filed a motion to withdraw his representation. Even though the Bankruptcy Court had denied the lawyer’s motion, the attorney would have no obligation to represent Mr. Ugwuonye should he file a new bankruptcy petition.

After SaharaReporters first exposed the $1.5 million embezzlement, Mr. Ugwuonye filed a defamation lawsuit against the website and several commentators on social media. He claimed that the Nigerian government owed him fees for unrelated legal work, adding that he was entitled to seize the embassy’s funds. But the Nigerian government officially denied that Mr. Ugwuonye was owed outstanding fees for any legal work.

Mr. Ugwuonye lost both his original defamation lawsuit against SaharaReporters as well as his appeal. In addition, Justice Rothstein ruled against him in a case filed by the embassy to recover its funds from the lawyer.

A lawyer representing the Nigerian embassy said that his client intended to aggressively go after Mr. Ugwuonye’s assets in order to recover as much of the $2 million judgment as possible.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Sall(m): 10:51am On Jan 14, 2016
Landed from the us picked up by the DSS .who know this one.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by brandchambers: 10:51am On Jan 14, 2016
I personally know this guy wella. He's involved in the embezzlement of the proceeds from the sale of Nigerian House in the DC for which he was sometimes arraigned in court by the EFCC. He definitely has some personal vendetta against the Nigerian govt. He shouldn't befuddle issues with a view to gaining cheap popularity by making things looking as if he's being victimized. The DSS must definitely have one or two questions to ask him entirely unrelated to his past or present criticism of government. The Emeka that I know has no truth.

2 Likes

Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Nobody: 10:54am On Jan 14, 2016
Really?

Well I will not comment until I have enough facts to do so.

Sorry Oga it is just your side of the story. Let us hear what the government will say.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by johnmartus(m): 10:55am On Jan 14, 2016
THEY SHOULD TORTURE HIM VERY WELL IF HE DIE SO BE IT OTHER CAN LEARN FROM HIM.

1 Like

Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by ritababe(f): 10:56am On Jan 14, 2016
Kgdavid:

you started with rhetoric, and i expected that as sensible writers do when they wish to make a point, you would move on to facts. However, you continued with more rhetoric and metaphors and ended as such, using hundreds of words to simply express your opinion that president Buhari is a tyrant.

SMH.

i think say na only me notice am
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by vega84(m): 10:56am On Jan 14, 2016
This is what u get when put a cattle rearer in power #vegatalks
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by systemz(m): 10:57am On Jan 14, 2016
Raymondenyi:
For ur mind an 'inconsequential felow's' movement could be intercepted by a top FG security agency.
Kwontinu driiming.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 14, 2016
sammhi:

change in the mould of Gadaffi, Idia amin , Saddam Hussein etc ...hmmmn....guess you are also a despot

Libya is beta off with Gadaffi dan dey are now...... as for Idia amin and saddam hussein....... dont always belive what CNN says

nigerian needs tight fistz at this point in tyme...... u cant expect a miracle overnight....... give the man at the top time to work..... if after 4 years you aint satisfied.... use ur PVC to kick him out.... instead of signing failure into his ears for the whole time he is in power and expect him to perform up to per.... evil comm corrupt good manners....
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by GlobalVillager: 11:01am On Jan 14, 2016
knightsTempler:
To tell the truth, I am engulfed in roaring flames of tremendous anguish and laden with sorrow. Allow me to say that the joy I should naturally feel for such a potent victory awarded to buhari is destroyed by fear of what it MAY cost us. Buhari's disguise is so perfect and complete, expertly masking his nefarious schemes and personal ambitions, professing change in the most appealing language and manner that we treat his ambition with incredulous complacence. A man who, in the past, perfidiously isolated freedom of speech from the people, encouraged fanaticism, held bigoted views on religion and ethnicity, and voiced malicious profanity of the worst degree with his words clearly purporting violence. People criticized GEJ openly in all ramifications, even mocked the first lady without known repercussions. This time, you may have to learn how to cage your tongues and present proper civility. It is said that a child can play with its mother's breasts but not with the father's testicles. Beyond the usual rhetoric on good governance, discipline and his appeal to base sentiments, buhari has usually been hypocritical. Some people raving mad about the new-fangled parlance "CHANGE" are just products of the 90s. They haven't the minutest idea the specie of cobra on transit to the seat of presidency. Never mistake the glaring teeth of a chimpanzee for a smile. Nevertheless, we pray for the best. I'll only find myself disappointed with this nation when the same people who, today, are bellowing "CHANGE HAS COME" are found tomorrow in despairing opposition to what they once embraced with epileptic lunacy and blinding sentimentality.
It looks like you have something to say but you have said nothing
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by biltem: 11:08am On Jan 14, 2016
knightsTempler:
To tell the truth, I am engulfed in roaring flames of tremendous anguish and laden with sorrow. Allow me to say that the joy I should naturally feel for such a potent victory awarded to buhari is destroyed by fear of what it MAY cost us. Buhari's disguise is so perfect and complete, expertly masking his nefarious schemes and personal ambitions, professing change in the most appealing language and manner that we treat his ambition with incredulous complacence. A man who, in the past, perfidiously isolated freedom of speech from the people, encouraged fanaticism, held bigoted views on religion and ethnicity, and voiced malicious profanity of the worst degree with his words clearly purporting violence. People criticized GEJ openly in all ramifications, even mocked the first lady without known repercussions. This time, you may have to learn how to cage your tongues and present proper civility. It is said that a child can play with its mother's breasts but not with the father's testicles. Beyond the usual rhetoric on good governance, discipline and his appeal to base sentiments, buhari has usually been hypocritical. Some people raving mad about the new-fangled parlance "CHANGE" are just products of the 90s. They haven't the minutest idea the specie of cobra on transit to the seat of presidency. Never mistake the glaring teeth of a chimpanzee for a smile. Nevertheless, we pray for the best. I'll only find myself disappointed with this nation when the same people who, today, are bellowing "CHANGE HAS COME" are found tomorrow in despairing opposition to what they once embraced with epileptic lunacy and blinding sentimentality.

the guy u are defending may not have said the truth. Lets exercise restraints when we comment on a post like this.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Addicted2Women: 11:08am On Jan 14, 2016
PASCHAL28:
This is man is an idiot. He thought we do not know more about him. He is a criminal who defrauded Nigeria Embassy in US for over 1.5 million dollars. do not waste your time on him. kindly google about him at google.com them type his name. I leave you with rest. The statements reads:
Disgraced Maryland-based attorney Emeka Ugwuonye, who is at the center of a scam in which he illegally pocketed $1.55 million that belonged to the Nigerian embassy in the US, has suffered yet another legal setback. SaharaReporters has discovered that U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland issued an order on May 5, 2015 dismissing Mr. Ugwuonye’s bankruptcy petition.
Mr. Ugwuonye, who was found liable by a US Superior Court for embezzling $1.55 million belonging to the Nigerian embassy in the US, may have filed for bankruptcy in order to limit his financial liability to the embassy worth more than $2 million.

In 2013, US District Court judge, Barbara Rothstein, had ordered Mr. to immediately refund $1.55 million in tax refunds he stole from the Nigerian embassy in Washington, DC in 2007. Judge Rothstein also held Mr. Ugwuonye liable to a pre-judgment interest at a rate of 6% per annum. The total judgment against the shady lawyer totaled $2,075,131.30 as of July 12, 2013, the date of Judge Rothstein’s verdict.

Judge Rothstein had found Mr. Ugwuonye and his law firm liable for misappropriating $1.55 million in withheld taxes that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) subsequently refunded to the benefit of the Nigerian embassy. The IRS had refunded the funds to the embassy via Mr. Ugwuonye who once represented the embassy and oversaw the sale of the embassy’s buildings in DC and surrounding areas. The tax was refunded because the embassy, as a sovereign entity, is not liable to pay American taxes.

The Bankruptcy Court dismissed Mr. Ugwuonye’s bankruptcy petition due to the lawyer’s failure to pay the $849 balance due on his filing fee. Mr. Ugwuonye’s bankruptcy petition is now deemed imperiled after more than ten days past since the order to complete payment. “We expect the court to declare a formal closure of the case,” said a lawyer who is familiar with the details of the case.

Mr. Ugwuonye can file a new bankruptcy proceeding, provided he pays the full filing fee. SaharaReporters also learned that a lawyer who represented Mr. Ugwuonye in the bankruptcy petition had filed a motion to withdraw his representation. Even though the Bankruptcy Court had denied the lawyer’s motion, the attorney would have no obligation to represent Mr. Ugwuonye should he file a new bankruptcy petition.

After SaharaReporters first exposed the $1.5 million embezzlement, Mr. Ugwuonye filed a defamation lawsuit against the website and several commentators on social media. He claimed that the Nigerian government owed him fees for unrelated legal work, adding that he was entitled to seize the embassy’s funds. But the Nigerian government officially denied that Mr. Ugwuonye was owed outstanding fees for any legal work.

Mr. Ugwuonye lost both his original defamation lawsuit against SaharaReporters as well as his appeal. In addition, Justice Rothstein ruled against him in a case filed by the embassy to recover its funds from the lawyer.

A lawyer representing the Nigerian embassy said that his client intended to aggressively go after Mr. Ugwuonye’s assets in order to recover as much of the $2 million judgment as possible.

Do you think you can defraud a whole Nigerian embassy and still live in the USA ??
Just write "I will defraud a 6 year old boy" on your Facebook wall, the FBI will come to your house in the next 4 minutes.

This show you haven't been to the USA.
The offering and tithes you give in the church are being controlled by the government.
Even a Barber or a tattoo artist must have a license from the government.
You think this guy defrauded a whole embassy and still have his license to practice law ??

Ignorant Nigerians
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by essa9davies4(f): 11:09am On Jan 14, 2016
Soon nobody will be able to oppose anything or talk freely in this country#change has really come
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by InvertedHammer: 11:09am On Jan 14, 2016
stephenduru:
A Nigerian man, who claims he landed at the Muritala Mohammed Airport few hours ago, says he has been picked up by men of the Department of State Services (DSS)  and taken to their office for questioning. Emeka whose facebook profile says he resides in Rockville, Maryland, alleges that being picked up by the security men is not unconnected to his constant criticism of the current government.

Emeka is the President/CEO of Eculaw and a member of a facebook group called The Due Process Advocate (DPA).

See his posts above....

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/01/nigerian-man-who-just-landed-from-us_13.html
/
Emeka Ugwuonye has been having problems with FGN for years. It culminated in the sack of Farida Waziri as the EFCC chairperson after late Ambassador Adefuye connived (through a letter evidence) with her to have Emeka detained in Nigeria for months.

The issue is about $1.5m due to the Nigerian Embassy, that Emeka confiscated because he claimed that FGN owed him the money for services he rendered defending ex-Head of State Gen. Abubakar in the US court. It is a very complicated case.

I believe the main problem was that some interested parties wanted some share of the money but Emeka refused to part with a dime. And they went for his jugular. The case is very complicated else Emeka would have been in jail for tampering with IRS tax refund. There are too many missing links in the whole story. One thing that is certain is that Emeka is very troublesome and showy.
/
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by demarc001: 11:14am On Jan 14, 2016
DropShot:
DSS picked this guy and he was allowed to use his social media?

Common sense is alien to wailers.
Did he say he is in detention?
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Khd95(m): 11:16am On Jan 14, 2016
Luciferlove:
wey mods for NL sef i bet my left ball that this ill not get to FP
if ur left ball was useful outside it sack,i would ve demanded for it cos dis made fp nd its on it 2nd pagesad
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Bollinger(m): 11:17am On Jan 14, 2016
I wonder what he's waiting for? I'd just call the U.S consulate. Let's see if they won't release him then. Unless of course he's not a U.S citizen.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Inspectahdeck(m): 11:17am On Jan 14, 2016
The only wise comment so far. God bless you.
I wonder why he didn't state the reason dss gave for his arrest.

mysteriousman:
DSS stopped you and you think if they do that they will allow you to continue to chat? My brother I beg carry your gist go another place
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by shaqhead: 11:20am On Jan 14, 2016
Kayendy:
Is Dss d next arm of government or did they replace the judiciary since they don't even obey the judiciary... thankGod say we dey hide names for nairaland because Dss for don carry majority of the members here
So becos u dnt have a "name" and a maybe a "face", u think u cant b traced...hmm...even seun has a fair idea where u could be u knoU r no ghost u kno!
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by shaqhead: 11:22am On Jan 14, 2016
Kayendy:
Is Dss d next arm of government or did they replace the judiciary since they don't even obey the judiciary... thankGod say we dey hide names for nairaland because Dss for don carry majority of the members here
So becos u dnt have a "name" and a maybe a "face", u think u cant b traced...hmm...even seun has a fair idea where u could be u kno. If u think u r invisible...think again! My 2cents
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by vedaxcool(m): 11:23am On Jan 14, 2016
[s]
sammhi:

is it the job of DSS to arrest drug traffickers? stop displaying your stiupidity over PMb obvious tyranny...
[/s]

Comprehension issues
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by Urine: 11:23am On Jan 14, 2016
Pidggin:
Even Facebook posts are threats to this govt.

Nawa, thank God for Nairaland moniker

Hahaha, even your Nairaland moniker is not safe.
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by shegetsize(m): 11:32am On Jan 14, 2016
vega84:
This is what u get when put a cattle rearer in power #vegatalks

Òdę
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by wiseoneking: 11:37am On Jan 14, 2016
Raymondenyi:
O nani iha bu ihe i ga ekwu. Ihere anaemekwa gi. Onu nsi. Lol
Re: Man From US Claims DSS Picked Him Up For Questioning (pics) by MadCow1: 11:41am On Jan 14, 2016
MightyD:
Below comment author is a low monumental drain brain for castigating #Nnamdi Kanu and for supporting the actions of law breaker (dss).

If I catch you, I will de-ball you. angry

You call DSS law breakers but see nothing wrong with Kanu.

Okuko upper Iweka

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Issues Quit Notice To Ikpeazu, Declares Ogah Next Abia Governor (video) / Sanwo-Olu Hosts Barcelona Star, Asisat Oshoala / Atiku Abubakar Learns The "Dab" Dance (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.