Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? (2806 Views)

Should Genotype Decide Your Marriage??? / Before You Decide To Abstain From Sex Till Marriage / Six Old Ways You Can Woo A Lady Of Your Choice Without Much Stress. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 9:22am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

I thought I just did air my comment  undecided
you must have missed it with all that iota of brilliance oozing out of your so-called intelligent brain.
turd .  tongue

Running head first into a brick wall doesn't seem like a comment to me. However, your trademark is already launched by yourself and no one is contesting the dealership with you. I may be a brainy and intelligent turd, but you're a brainless pervert! See the difference, stupid Bleep?
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 9:30am On Jun 21, 2009
~Sissy~:

the emotional derailment that comes with divorce in my opinion is not best overcome with b older. even the older older ones do experience traumas that sometimes requires serious therapy before it gets better esp. when the marriage has survived for a long time. it's not an easy process and yes, i do share your concerns regarding the children of divorce parents, the kids are usually the ones mostly affected deeply by it. as regards to the african marriage i really wished  i could i have shared in your belief/excitement about "forever being married" but sadly i cant.

Once again, you've judged correctly. If Susan Boyle could have broken down because she lost to some kids on British Got Talent show, then I question how she could have handled a divorce. However, it takes a lot of counseling for the kids to get back on track and divine intervention too (if anyone believes in that).

~Sissy~:

i dont think it does anyone any good dwelling tribalism. i believe all the tribal equally contributes to the downfall and improvement of nigeria as a whole. so siding one side does nothing but to prolong the unnecessary argument undecided undecided

I hate to uphold tribalism bcuz I believe we are getting exposed beyond that palaver, but some people still have their comments tinted with this societal ailment. You really need to drive some factual nuts into their brain bolts before they learn to shut up and that's exactly what I'm doing or did to that fagot.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 9:32am On Jun 21, 2009
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 9:36am On Jun 21, 2009
shocked
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 9:42am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

Sounds like a comment to me.  How much plainer does a comment need to be  grin . Direct, focused, and to the point.  Perhaps you are offended by it because it struck a nerve.  Err I get it, my bad.  You would have been happier if I jumped on your idiotic and thoughtless bandwagon.
One second I'm a brainless something, the next a psychologically challenged something, ah ahn wetin.  He no dey tire you  undecided .  I have heard these dry attempts at insult times without numbers.  They get old and lame after a while  embarassed .  Shoe a bit of creativity.  Something to entertain me before I head 4 bed.  wink

As you may have heard, silence they say is the best response to a fool. That is what I'm applying after this comment. You say more for all I care. Quick correction, your first comment may have been precise if the insult wasn't included. Secondly, I don't hold any kind of contempt against Yoruba, all my friends are Yoruba. So your comment wasn't in any way "direct, focused and to the point" as you claimed but a verbal misconduct. I need not say more, like I said, I'm too grown up to banter insults on a blog. If your in NY like I assumed it's past your bed time, for me, it's just 1.40AM. Have a goodnight man.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 9:49am On Jun 21, 2009
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 9:52am On Jun 21, 2009
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 9:56am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

Okkk that's too much . I apologize for being an unruly asswipe. It was unnecessary, crude, classless, stupid, you name it. I blame it on late-night boredom. E get as he dey do me.
It won't happen again.

Will go back to edit and modify those inexcusable posts of mine now. mY bad.

It's your decision man. I hope you have a good night after a long week.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 10:01am On Jun 21, 2009
Yes sa.  Sorry sa. A fine decision at that.  Ad-hominems really serve no useful purpose.
Thanks and enjoy your weekend as well.

FTR it is only 2am here, but I am sleepy nevertheless.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 10:03am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

Yes sir. A fine decision at that. Thanks and enjoy your weekend as well.

FTR it is only 2am here, but I am sleepy nevertheless.

Where is that s'pozed to be? UT, WA, CA? I'm in LAX
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 10:04am On Jun 21, 2009
ooo LAX

I am OAK/SFO
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by patwhizkid(f): 10:07am On Jun 21, 2009
@ topic
NO!
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 10:08am On Jun 21, 2009
C2H5OH:

ooo LAX

I am OAK/SFO

Iiiite! Hit the bed. Imma just settle for some Iranian news mehn, lotsa stuff going on n'ere. shit!
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 10:08am On Jun 21, 2009
ha patwhizkid where have you been are you on yim?
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by patwhizkid(f): 10:13am On Jun 21, 2009
Hey C2H50H! Av been busy man. Nope! Ain't on Y!M.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 10:13am On Jun 21, 2009
TheSeeker:

Iiiite! Hit the bed. Imma just settle for some Iranian news mehn, lotsa stuff going on n'ere. shit!
No doubt Iran is nothing short of chaotic at the mo

Maybe the live video blogging on this site here will interest you

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/13/iran-demonstrations-viole_n_215189.html
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by C2H5OH(f): 10:14am On Jun 21, 2009
patwhizkid:

Hey C2H50H! Av been busy man. Nope! Ain't on Y!M.
O ee pele . Goodnight sha.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by patwhizkid(f): 10:16am On Jun 21, 2009
Alwite, gudnyt! CIAO
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by axeman85(m): 11:01am On Jun 21, 2009
I wonder why nairalanders cannot stick to the topic instead of derailing and fighting with one another. besides why are people pointing accusing fingers at one another saying one tribe is into 419 and into fraudulent deals and shaddy deals ? There is no point pointing accusing fingers at one another as all tribes are into fraud, 419 so its not just singling one tribe out. I am a financial advisor and an account manager in the uk here and i deals with such issues and casses of frauds on a daily basis. so pls dont point accusing fingers at any tribe here.

In relation to the topic. it is the beliefs that parents have to decide or accept the man/woman theire children are going to get married to and in some circumstances, parents are biased on the issue of tribe because there see it as a barrier. eg, yoruba parents will say their children shouldnt marry igbo because they dont understand culture, and language, and that they dont have respect. same goes for the igbo people they will say their children shouldnt marry from yoruba, as the family are always troublesome. e.t.c. these are mostly factors and excuses parents give.

personally i will say parents are there to give advise and give their own opinions and views but are not there to make decisions as far as the issue of marriage is concerned because they wont live with you in your matrimonial home.

i currently have 2 friends. 1: he is muslim, the girl is catholic, and he is yoruba and the girl is igbo. they have been dating for more than 5years now but the guys parents are not too ok with the idea but the girls parents are yet to know about the guy so we are awaiting what willl happen.

2: the guy is yoruba, the girls is igbo from anambra from a place called nise to be precise, the guy has told his family about the girl already but they are cool with the idea. reason is most of the family have travelled to abroad and they have embraced other cultures. the father on the other hand is cool with the idea and basically supports the relationship but the mother of the guy is just refusing and saying that she doesnt support the union and even said she cannot travel to anambra for the traditional wedding when the time comes. but the guy basically blasted the mother for refusing becuase she claimed to have studied in the usa and westernized and ashamed at her for claiming cultural differences as a barrier and told her point blank that she better agree to the union after he has tried to convince her that the girl is from a good home. but if she still refuses when the marriage comes she is welcomed and if she doesnt show up, somebody else will take her place.

but on the girls part the girl is afraid to tell her parents about the guy to the extent that she and the guy are fasting for a whole 1month just for her to be able to tell her parents and they are engaged already for 2months.

what i am trying to say by quoting these above examples (2) is that both couples love each other very much and are willing to do everything to stay together to the extent that the guy is fighting with his mother because in this current time cultural differences shouldnt be a barrier to happiness.

sorry for the essay guys just had to contribute my own quota.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by TheSeeker(m): 2:02pm On Jun 21, 2009
axeman85:

I wonder why nairalanders cannot stick to the topic instead of derailing and fighting with one another. besides why are people pointing accusing fingers at one another saying one tribe is into 419 and into fraudulent deals and shaddy deals ? There is no point pointing accusing fingers at one another as all tribes are into fraud, 419 so its not just singling one tribe out. I am a financial advisor and an account manager in the uk here and i deals with such issues and casses of frauds on a daily basis. so pls dont point accusing fingers at any tribe here.

In relation to the topic. it is the beliefs that parents have to decide or accept the man/woman theire children are going to get married to and in some circumstances, parents are biased on the issue of tribe because there see it as a barrier. eg, yoruba parents will say their children shouldnt marry igbo because they dont understand culture, and language, and that they dont have respect. same goes for the igbo people they will say their children shouldnt marry from yoruba, as the family are always troublesome. e.t.c. these are mostly factors and excuses parents give.

personally i will say parents are there to give advise and give their own opinions and views but are not there to make decisions as far as the issue of marriage is concerned because they wont live with you in your matrimonial home.

i currently have 2 friends. 1: he is muslim, the girl is catholic, and he is yoruba and the girl is igbo. they have been dating for more than 5years now but the guys parents are not too ok with the idea but the girls parents are yet to know about the guy so we are awaiting what willl happen.

2: the guy is yoruba, the girls is igbo from anambra from a place called nise to be precise, the guy has told his family about the girl already but they are cool with the idea. reason is most of the family have travelled to abroad and they have embraced other cultures. the father on the other hand is cool with the idea and basically supports the relationship but the mother of the guy is just refusing and saying that she doesnt support the union and even said she cannot travel to anambra for the traditional wedding when the time comes. but the guy basically blasted the mother for refusing becuase she claimed to have studied in the usa and westernized and ashamed at her for claiming cultural differences as a barrier and told her point blank that she better agree to the union after he has tried to convince her that the girl is from a good home. but if she still refuses when the marriage comes she is welcomed and if she doesnt show up, somebody else will take her place.

but on the girls part the girl is afraid to tell her parents about the guy to the extent that she and the guy are fasting for a whole 1month just for her to be able to tell her parents and they are engaged already for 2months.

what i am trying to say by quoting these above examples (2) is that both couples love each other very much and are willing to do everything to stay together to the extent that the guy is fighting with his mother because in this current time cultural differences shouldnt be a barrier to happiness.

sorry for the essay guys just had to contribute my own quota.

Thanks a bunch man. I don't like to go tribal but the fact is some people need to be taught a few things they don't know. That being said, I love the second instance more. I particularly throw my support behind your friend, the guy, for his commendable attitude towards his mom. I'd do the same. I have always told my parents years back that they had better not expect me to marry an igbo woman, I never had them as girlfriends anyway. Every girl I have dated are yoruba girls and I must say they have been good so far, I don't care what their family is centered on long as she's good that's all I care about. It ain't like I'm going to be living with their family or something, it's me and her forever and whoever doesn't settle down with that had better get used to it and will be hurt each time they see us. I don't have a thing against marrying from my tribe but I wield my support for inter-tribal marriage. I love it.
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by JJYOU: 12:19pm On Jun 22, 2009
what is wrong in your ma or pa choosing for you? too many marriages falling off the wagon
Re: Can Parents Decide Your Choice Of A Spouse? by Sissy3(f): 8:59pm On Jun 22, 2009
JJYOU:

what is wrong in your ma or pa choosing for you? too many marriages falling off the wagon

and i dont see how them choosing for you makes the marriage happily ever after?

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Fantastic Questions That Can Save Your Relationship! / 9 Tips To Make Her Love YOU.. / Ladies How To Earn Your Respect From Guys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.