Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:02 PM

Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application (17936 Views)

Court Defers Metuh’s Application Asking For His Passport To Be Released / Chief Judge Dismisses Metuh’s Petition, Asks Judge To Continue Trial / Supreme Court Dismisses Wike’s Suit Against Tribunal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 12:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

You only make reference to the judiciary of other countries when it suits you, no be so?

The Nigerian Judiciary is charged with the strict interpretation of the Nigerian constitution and not that of the UK.As far as the Nigerian constitution is concerned,Olisa Metuh would definitely be granted bail by the courts and there is nothing Buhari or even the Judge can do about it.
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by NOETHNICITY(m): 12:41pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lionsclaw:
You are from the SS but has never travellled out of the SS so your myopic conception
how wrongly u judge? I have been living outside d SS for over 4yrs now and I only visit once in a while! Belive me other tribes do not carry hate in their hearts!
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:41pm On Jan 15, 2016
AdaNri1:
he can file for bail and be denied. What I'm saying is that EFCC does not even bring some of their accused for arraignment or bail hearing. They just detain them pending on investigations.
How many poor people in Kirikiri, Ikoyi, Ekwulobia, Enugu, etc prisons have you guys fought for, for being detained for upto 10 years without trial?

2 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

How many poor people in Kirikiri, Ikoyi, Ekwulobia, Enugu, etc prisons have you guys fought for, for being detained for upto 10 years without trial?

How many of them do you know about? I am not aware of any such case as i only fight for the cases that have been brought to my attention.
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by Goke7: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2016
dunkem21:
grin Is there a court in Nigeria ..

..All Nigerian judges are jokes ..

I also overheard from high quarters that the judge handling Metuh's case has washed his hands off like Kanu's case .. The news will soon break here ..

In all, the Nigerian Judiciary is a joke ..

just because they are not doing your bidding abi? Judiciary is now a joke eh

3 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by Goke7: 12:45pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

How many of them do you know about? I am not aware of any such case as i only fight for the cases that have been brought to my attention.

Liar and hypocrite, there are thousands in prisons awaiting trial but no one to fight for them, you guys only advocate for thieves of public funds

3 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 12:46pm On Jan 15, 2016
Goke7:

Liar and hypocrite, there are thousands in prisons awaiting trial but no one to fight for them, you guys only advocate for thieves of public funds

If you know about anyone of the thousands why dont you state it here and see whether we wouldnt fight for such a person.
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by vedaxcool(m): 12:50pm On Jan 15, 2016
omenka:
Watch them cast aspersions on the judge and the courts. The same courts the claimed granted their goats bail. Suddenly the courts are compromised by the "Daura Tyrant".

cheesycheesy

God bless the Zoo and her people. grin

Amin. Hate being the basis of their reasoning would never let them make coherent points.

1 Like

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by arresa: 12:51pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:
I wonder how dumb some people can really be!!! Over five people commented on this topic and none of them actually understood the message passed by this Judge!!

Olisa Metuh's suit was not dismissed rather the judge dismissed the application for acclelerated hearing of the suit.He said the law allows the EFCC 5 days within which to respond to the suit before she rules!! So what exactly is that that you fools dont understand?

Your misguided understanding or interpretation of the judgement or the posters you refered to makes zero difference.

The main issue here remains the fact that metuh's application for special privilege was thrown out and the fact that his substantive issue remains in court is irrelevant, his wish to dictate the speed and direction of his criminal trial was dismissed.

Tryng to apply your own spin to other posters understanding of the court's decision is pointless and inconsequential..

3 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by Goke7: 12:56pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

If you know about anyone of the thousands why dont you state it here and see whether we wouldnt fight for such a person.

again I say you are an hypocrite, it is a well known truth that our prisons are littered with guys who are awaiting trial for donkey years, no one remembers the rule of law here but when those who loot our treasuries are asked to give account, folks like you begin to shout all over the place about about the rule of law and independence for the judiciary to allow looters to go scot free which has been happening over the years.

Take a walk to kirikiri or any other prison in nigeria and asked the warders, they will be glad to introduce several persons to you who are in this category.

3 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 12:59pm On Jan 15, 2016
Goke7:

again I say you are an hypocrite, it is a well known truth that our prisons are littered with guys who are awaiting trial for donkey years, no one remembers the rule of law here but when those who loot our treasuries are asked to give account, folks like you begin to shout all over the place about about the rule of law and independence for the judiciary to allow looters to go scot free which has been happening over the years.

Take a walk to kirikiri or any other prison in nigeria and asked the warders, they will be glad to introduce several persons to you who are in this category.
I don't deal on speculations. If you are not sure of what you are saying kindly shut up dear.Olisa Metuh has finally been arraigned and would be granted bail to resume his tantrums on the APC at his next hearing
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by nicemajor(m): 1:00pm On Jan 15, 2016
All will be well in Nigeria[/color][color=#990000]
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by gretblue: 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
PRYCE:
How many times we go tell una say that Daura bastarrd don buy some judges
Modern slavery.Even when you did not benefit a kobo from N400m Metuh collected from Gej. You still deem it fit to defend this common criminal.Miserable youth.

1 Like

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 1:01pm On Jan 15, 2016
arresa:

Your misguided understanding or interpretation of the judgement or the posters you refered to makes zero difference.

The main issue here remains the fact that metuh's application for special privilege was thrown out and the fact that his substantive issue remains in court is irrelevant, his wish to dictate the speed and direction of his criminal trial was dismissed.

Tryng to apply your own spin to other posters understanding of the court's decision is pointless and inconsequential..

what mismisguided about my interpretation? Was Olisa Metuh's case dismissed? If the EFCC thought they had a strong case why then did they rush to arraign him in court today? Olisa Metuh would definitely be granted bail at his next hearing so just relax and chill
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 1:04pm On Jan 15, 2016
gretblue:

Modern slavery.Even when you did not benefit a kobo from N400m Metuh collected from Gej. You still deem it fit to defend this common criminal.Miserable youth.

Did you benefit from the $300,000 and SUVs Buhari also got? tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

Why don't you visit any prison on humanitarian ground (go with an NGO or establish yours) or as a preacher, get to know the prisoners and reasons they're there. After that, get the service of lawyers to defend them in court. I'm sure the media will broadcast this feat of yours.

1 Like

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:08pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

The Nigerian Judiciary is charged with the strict interpretation of the Nigerian constitution and not that of the UK.As far as the Nigerian constitution is concerned,Olisa Metuh would definitely be granted bail by the courts and there is nothing Buhari or even the Judge can do about it.
Go read the Law Report on the ruling by the Supreme Court in FGN vs Asari.

1 Like

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by Goke7: 1:09pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

I don't deal on speculations. If you are not sure of what you are saying kindly shut up dear.Olisa Metuh has finally been arraigned and would be granted bail to resume his tantrums on the APC at his next hearing

You are still lying and getting vexed cos am hitting you with the truth, I will respect you more if you create a thread here and start advocating for those in our prisons awaiting trial for stealing phones, chickens and other petty stuff, we know you guys are making all this noise to get back to the APC for defeating your thieving party of 16years. Yes you can't wait for metuh to come out and continue his noise but when he comes out, we will be here reminding him to vomit our yams anytime he opens his wide mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by ddippset(m): 1:12pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

but buhari has taken 15 days of his freedom. What is olisah metuh going to do about that? He would probably be granted a bail of at least 100 million. That's buhari still taking 100 million of his money. Again I ask, what is olisah metuh going to do about that? Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 1:13pm On Jan 15, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

Go read the Law Report on the ruling by the Supreme Court in FGN vs Asari.

Asari was under trial for treason dear.I forgot to mention the no bail applies to both murder and treason.Unless you have any evidence Olisa Metuh committed murder or treason ,he is going home very soon to resume throwing tantrums at the APC
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 1:15pm On Jan 15, 2016
ddippset:
but buhari has taken 15 days id his freedom. What is olisah metuh going to do about that? He would probably be granted a bail of at least 100 million. That's buhari still taking 100 million of his money. Again I ask, what is olisah metuh going to do about that? Nonsense!

If you don't know how bail money works kindly shut up dear and stop making a fool of yourself.The bail money still remains the property of the accused and is kept under the custody of the judiciary until the case is decided.Olisa metuh would resume throwing tantrums at the APC with even more vigour and would continue to make a fool of Buhari
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by Lionsclaw: 1:17pm On Jan 15, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
how wrongly u judge? I have been living outside d SS for over 4yrs now and I only visit once in a while! Belive me other tribes do not carry hate in their hearts!
I schooled in the east and lived in the west. And here is my opinion. The ibo man does not hide his mind, what he tells you outside is what he says behind your back. The west man smiles at you and fakes respect but from day one sees himself superior to a SS person. If you work in offices where they are head, then you dont stand a chance of promotion over their tribes man
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by HALLOWED: 1:20pm On Jan 15, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Biafra is for ibos alone! Don't let them deceive u that SS is in on it wit them! Am from d SS and we hate anytin biafra! Why do u think Ojukwu failed in his attempt? because we stopped his advance!
gullible sycophant, why didn't you call illiterate Dr. Buhari to order when he referred to Kachukwu and Emefiele and Igbos.
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by cktheluckyman: 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
Metuh will most likely be granted bail on Tuesday next week.I cant wait to hear first press conference after he is released

A Federal High Court, Abuja on Friday ordered that the National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olisa Metuh, be remanded in prison till Tuesday which is the scheduled day for the hearing of his bail application with respect to the charges of money laundering preferred against him.

Justice Okon Abang gave the order after the PDP spokesperson pleaded not guilty to the seven counts of money laundering involving N400m, which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission alleged that he collected from the Office of the National Security Adviser in November 2014.

The money was allegedly part of the funds meant for the procurement of arms, but which was released to him for campaign activities of the PDP by the immediate past NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd), who is also fac‎ing other charges bordering on the diversion of arms funds.

Earlier on Friday, Justice Abang rejected the request by defence counsel, Chief Chris Uche (SAN), to make the application for Metuh’s bail orally.

The judge ruled that the EFCC counsel, Mr. Sylvester Tahir, having opposed the oral application and the fact that evidence that needed to be adduced for and against the bail application could not be led from the bar (by lawyers), it was necessary to direct the defence to make the application formal.

Tahir also opposed the request by the defence ‎that Metuh be remanded in EFCC custody.

The judge upheld the objection and directed that the accused be remanded in prison.

The judge directed the defence to file and serve the bail application within six hours from the time of delivering the ruling and also directed EFCC if it wishes, to file and serve its objection to it within 24 hours.

He ruled that ‎the defence was at liberty to file a further response to EFCC’s objection to the bail application within five hours if it intended to.

The judge also directed that the trial will commence on January 25 and would proceed on day to day.

‎Earlier, Metuh who was arraigned along with his firm, Destra Investments Limited, pleaded not guilty to the seven counts.

The EFCC alleged in the laundering case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/05/2016, that Metuh and Destra through their account with Diamond Bank Plc collected the sum of N400m from the NSA office on November 22, 2015, for PDP’s campaign activities.

The prosecution alleged that the N400m was “part‎ of the proceeds of an unlawful activity” of the immediate past NSA, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).

In the fresh charges, Metuh and Destra allegedly transferred the sum of N21.8m to Anenih and they (Metuh and Destra) thereby committed an offence contrary to section 15(2) (b) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 (as amended in 2012) and punishable under section 15(3) of the same Act.

The EFCC alleged in the last and seventh count that out of the N400m collected from the NSA office, Metuh transferred the sum of N21,776,000 to Anenih on December 4, 2014.

In counts five and six, Metuh and the company on December 2, 2014 allegedly made separate cash payments of $1m each to Kabiru Ibrahim and Sie Iyenome of Capital Field Investments.

Both cash payments of the total sum of $2m were said to have been made through an agent of the accused person, named, Nneka Nicole Ararume.

By the cash payments, the accused were said to have committed offences contrary to section 1 of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act as amended in 2012 and punishable under section 16(2)(b) of the same Act

http://www.punchng.com/breaking-court-remands-pdp-spokesperson-metuh-in-prison/
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by fortune1968: 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
dunkem21:
grin Is there a court in Nigeria ..

..All Nigerian judges are jokes ..

I also overheard from high quarters that the judge handling Metuh's case has washed his hands off like Kanu's case .. The news will soon break here ..

In all, the Nigerian Judiciary is a joke ..
no be. una dey talk rule of law before ? she u don' c ya life ? sai baba go show una well well
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by NOETHNICITY(m): 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
Lionsclaw:
I schooled in the east and lived in the west. And here is my opinion. The ibo man does not hide his mind, what he tells you outside is what he says behind your back. The west man smiles at you and fakes respect but from day one sees himself superior to a SS person. If you work in offices where they are head, then you dont stand a chance of promotion over their tribes man
And u think u stand a better chance of promotion with an ibo man as head! I work for a FG agency! Am from d SS but working in SW! Wat u said about d double character of a Yoruba is very correct and I tell them whenever I ve d opportunity! But u don't stand a better chance with d ibos. At least that's where I did my youth corps and am currently working witlots of them!

2 Likes

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by BABANGBALI: 1:26pm On Jan 15, 2016
nice one,very good. Metuh metuh ewon lo ku si grin
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by Georgry(m): 1:27pm On Jan 15, 2016
PRYCE:
How many times we go tell una say that Daura bastarrd don buy some judges
receive sense in jesus name..senseless idiot
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by antispexish(m): 1:40pm On Jan 15, 2016
Maybe he will start eating those watery beans, cus statement paper wunt give him enough energy to last five days o.
Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by arresa: 1:48pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

what mismisguided about my interpretation? Was Olisa Metuh's case dismissed? If the EFCC thought they had a strong case why then did they rush to arraign him in court today? Olisa Metuh would definitely be granted bail at his next hearing so just relax and chill

Was his application dismissed? Yes or No.

The EFCC is not under any obligation to pander to metuh or dance to his tune, his just another accused or suspect about to go on trial for criminal activities.

Metuh can not dictate to the EFCC when and how to conduct their investigation or or his criminal trial.

The court is free to grant or deny him bail next time, but for now, his silly application remains dismissed.

And yes, his application was dismissed regardless his main and existing motion.

He can not fast track his trial or investigation. Period.

1 Like

Re: Detention: Court Dismisses Metuh’s Application by advocates: 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2016
cktheluckyman:

See where your archaic mind is pointing to. Your only reason for Metuh's freedom is to resume his childish tantrum, how shallow and babyish you sound. So sorry for the level of reasoning that fills the brains of the IPOB.

Like the guy you quoted said, in same light, how many times have you followed up or protested the many cases of Igbo youths alleged to be caught with drugs. Do you ever find in necessary to investigate how many of them are languishing in jail without any form of trial? You are a hypocrite, tribalist and a sympathiser of corruption since you of feigned ignorance of what transpired in all our prison yards.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CCT: Umar Bans Camera-Phones & ipads / Hope Rises For Ambode As Buhari, Govs Resolve Rift / Revolution Now: Sowore Drags DSS To Court Over “illegal” Detention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.