Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Would Love To Develop A Forum - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Would Love To Develop A Forum (1983 Views)

Is It Possible To Develop A Website With My Android Phone / Which Programing Language Do I Need To Create A Forum / How Do I Build A Forum Like Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Love To Develop A Forum by HOJOSKID: 4:57pm On Jan 17, 2016
please am a computer science student in Nigeria and would love to develop a forum for a purpose and would love to use vb.net nd some people are telling me that i can't do it with vb.net please what other language can i use apart php...thanks. would be expecting comment
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Booyakasha(f): 7:41pm On Jan 17, 2016
HOJOSKID:
please am a computer science student in Nigeria and would love to develop a forum for a purpose and would love to use vb.net nd some people are telling me that i can't do it with vb.net please what other language can i use apart php...thanks. would be expecting comment
lol.. kids will always be kids...
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by HOJOSKID: 8:00pm On Jan 17, 2016
meaning please
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by D34lw4p(m): 1:01am On Jan 18, 2016
use perl
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by tgmservice: 1:02pm On Jan 18, 2016
Use ruby
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 1:27pm On Jan 18, 2016
use java cool
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by ChinenyeN(m): 1:57pm On Jan 18, 2016
Apart from PHP, you've got the choice of Perl, Ruby, Python and Java. All of these will do the job, albeit just differently. It depends on what you are comfortable with. I would say just use PHP though, because most basic hosting plans already provide it. If you truly do not want to use PHP, then you will have to ask your host about the other four alternatives.

1 Like

Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 18, 2016
HOJOSKID:

Honestly i don't know why you don't want to use PHP, I'll be posting a full tutorial on building something like that.. more of a CMS (Content Management System)

Since all these programming languages don't control the look of the site but the server interaction and behavior, i suggest you work towards a good look and pick any language of your choice to get the job done, But are you ready to go through the learning curve?

Not still convinced? Then checkout asp.net, watch these to get started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP5aBRYqv18 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVGKG2puGMs

You can modify this http://www.codetoad.com/asp.net_forum.html to suite your needs and better understand.
I hope this helps!
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Olumyco(m): 9:28am On Jan 19, 2016
What's all these talk about java, ruby, Python and co. So he cannot use vb.net..... Na wa o.

If the OP is a vb.net programmer I will advice u do it with it since there is asp.net as a tool to use.

In asp.net u write server side applications with .net languages like c#, vb.net, j# and so on.

In fact d MVC architecture of asp.net will b an advantage.

Not against the said languages but I think instead of beginning a new language from d scratch and b matured to d point of developing a forum, I think is a big task. So I believe instead of going for such an adventure into other languages while not channel ur energy towards becoming good with the language u know since d tool to use is there.

1 Like

Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 12:02pm On Jan 19, 2016
Is VB secure enough for a website?
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 19, 2016
sinequanon:

VB requires more devotion when it comes to security! https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa289516

PHP can make a website more secure, e.g: Through systematic password hashing. (Why do you think Facebook runs PHP?)
Phython and the rest are also very good.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 12:25pm On Jan 19, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

VB requires more devotion when it comes to security! https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa289516

PHP can make a website more secure, e.g: Through systematic password hashing. ([size=18pt]Why do you think Facebook runs PHP?[/size])
Phython and the rest are also very good.

You're asking me? You were the one who said to the OP, "pick any language of your choice". wink

So, I was just suggesting that VB may turn into a security nightmare.

Java is more secure than PHP.

1 Like

Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 19, 2016
sinequanon:

You're asking me? You were the one who said to the OP, "pick any language of your choice". wink

So, I was just suggesting that VB may turn into a security nightmare.

Java is more secure than PHP.

Okay!
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by pumpindkay(m): 7:51pm On Jan 19, 2016
Who told you that vb.net can't be used to design a forum? If you need help drop your number and I will add you to our whatsapp group.

I found it easier in .Net environment than in any other platforms
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by pumpindkay(m): 8:24pm On Jan 19, 2016
sinequanon:

You can trust anything coming from Microsoft. Asp.net is great in security. Big organizations that taketh security to be their 1 priority are using it
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 8:53pm On Jan 19, 2016
pumpindkay:

You can trust anything coming from Microsoft. Asp.net is great in security. Big organizations that taketh security to be their 1 priority are using it

Some languages have better inbuilt security than others. For example, Java has automatic array boundary checking, and you cannot access memory directly with pointers. This avoids some of the buffer overflow hacking vulnerabilities in C++, for example. VB is hardly better.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by mobaladf: 10:37pm On Jan 19, 2016
HOJOSKID:
Guy 1st of all Vb.net is a software programming language. Forum is a web based platform. You need to know Html, Css, Php, Javascript and so many more for a complete forum. If you dont want to use Php, you can use Asp.Net, Jsp. If you want to build a forum like that of 2go, you must start from web before venturing to building its software version.

1 Like

Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by mobaladf: 10:40pm On Jan 19, 2016
sinequanon:

VB is mostly used for software programming language.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 10:44pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:

VB is mostly used for software programming language.

Do you know of any hardware website?
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by mobaladf: 10:49pm On Jan 19, 2016
sinequanon:

Do you know of any hardware website?
I wish i could understand you. And by the way are u a Programmer.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 11:07pm On Jan 19, 2016
mobaladf:

Guy 1st of all Vb.net is a software programming language. Forum is a web based platform. You need to know Html, Css, Php, Javascript and so many more for a complete forum. If you dont want to use Php, you can use Asp.Net, Jsp. If you want to build a forum like that of 2go, you must start from web before venturing to building its software version.

mobaladf:

I wish i could understand you. And by the way are u a Programmer.

A forum is a web application developed with a solution or software stack.

If any component of the stack has security vulnerabilities, it compromises the entire application.

Using VB in your solution stack, e.g for your business layer, can create security vulnerabilities, especially if your application is accessible to the public.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by mobaladf: 11:13pm On Jan 19, 2016
sinequanon:

A forum is a web application developed with a solution or software stack.

If any component of the stack has security vulnerabilities, it compromises the entire application.

Using VB in your solution stack, e.g for your business layer, can create security vulnerabilities, especially if your application is accessible to the public.

Okay just understand what u meant. Security shud be taken into consideration for last long
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by HOJOSKID: 9:15am On Jan 22, 2016
i already know html css but not javascript yet but please according to all d reply now i think php is better please some one should assist me with learning materials
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Olumyco(m): 11:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
mobaladf:

Guy u r funny o. Which programming language is not a software programming language? The word software is not limited to desktop apps alone. Any computer program developed is a software.

For ur information vb.net can b used for desktop apps and for web apps (server side). U mentioned asp.net as part of what can be used. But do u know d dat asp.net is not a language. It's an architecture/platform for .net languages to build server side applications. So this is where vb.net comes in as one of d .net languages.

Some pple r here talking abt security. This is a slap on Microsoft if it does has d issue. Even at dat... the issue of security is much rooted with d programmer ... Any site can fall victim of security issue. I respect java, Python and co but 2 me asp.net still make sense and cannot be pushed back. There are many sites out there using it. Forum sites like stackoverflow, MySpace. .... and other organisations like Dell, hp, Microsoft, and so on.....
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by sinequanon: 12:00am On Jan 23, 2016
Olumyco:
Some pple r here talking abt security. This is a slap on Microsoft if it does has d issue. Even at dat... the issue of security is much rooted with d programmer ... Any site can fall victim of security issue. I respect java, Python and co but 2 me asp.net still make sense and cannot be pushed back. There are many sites out there using it. Forum sites like stackoverflow, MySpace. .... and other organisations like Dell, hp, Microsoft, and so on.....

Microsoft came from a PC mentality, where security was low priority. They retrofitted security into most of their software. They have always had security and scalability issues. Remember SQL Server trying to catch up with Oracle and IBM? Remember all of Microsoft's shaky NT technology? IBM built its software for security and scalability from the ground up, because it was selling to businesses. Microsoft monopolized desktop software, and muscled its way into the business market by taking advantage of compatibility issues.

Microsoft's best asp.net shot at a secure language was C#. VB doesn't even come into the reckoning.

Gosling further said that "[C# is] sort of Java with reliability, productivity and security deleted."[13][14]

cool

Yeah, he would say that, but it would not surprise me, because retrofits are generally not the most secure or scalable software.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Olumyco(m): 1:03pm On Jan 23, 2016
sinequanon:

Microsoft came from a PC mentality, where security was low priority. They retrofitted security into most of their software. They have always had security and scalability issues. Remember SQL Server trying to catch up with Oracle and IBM? Remember all of Microsoft's shaky NT technology? IBM built its software for security and scalability from the ground up, because it was selling to businesses. Microsoft monopolized desktop software, and muscled its way into the business market by taking advantage of compatibility issues.

Microsoft's best asp.net shot at a secure language was C#. VB doesn't even come into the reckoning.

cool

Yeah, he would say that, but it would not surprise me, because retrofits are generally not the most secure or scalable software.

Yea Microsoft and security. They r learning their lessons gradually and dey must improve but the issue of security is much rooted in d hand of d coder. There r many new and best practices out there. U cant tell me dat Microsoft is not improving Vb. net like c#. I can tell u dat if u know hw to go abt it u will surely b safe. Technologies like json, and other NoSQL databases r there 2 use. There is a dll for json already by Microsoft for using json.
Besides I do know dat c# is d leading language among d .net languages.
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by Piuscrown: 4:44pm On Jan 23, 2016
can help u with one using python call me
if interested 09031202571
Re: Would Love To Develop A Forum by HapyOne: 7:24pm On Jan 23, 2016
Instead of bothering yourself in developing your own forum site, I suggest you use open source forum softwares. They will speed your development time and you will tend to get help when you are lost, most of them are free self.
Consider the following forum softwares:
phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com)
Vanilla Forum (http://vanillaforums.org)
myBB (http://www.mybb.com)
Simple Machines Forum (http://www.simplemachines.org)
YaBB (http://www.yabbforum.com)

Impossible is nothing

(1) (Reply)

Andela Free Training Now Available In Nairaland...@andela / Any Body Reading Head First C#-lab 2 / Learn How To Program Without Going To School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.