Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? (13244 Views)

500,000 Employed School Teachers Will Be Paid N23,000 As Monthly Salary / How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by hrworld: 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
chocolateme:
it has become a general phenomenon for companies and establishments to decline proposing on how much to pay their employ during interviews. They expect the person to come up first with an amount to be paid after which they will deliberate on who has the lowest figure among those interviewed and select from there.
Even the employee will be scared of giving the actual figure he or she thinks its right for the job lest another person goes in and beat him or her down to it especially those that has been working before now.
The establishments are not helping matters too, seeing that the best among them or rather the person they have decided to take for the job is way past below their original intention on the amount to pay him or her, they will keep quiet and allow the salary figure to be as the person stated or they may even reduce it a little yet you see the person very happy to have gotten the job.
For me, it is not really that fair in morals. They should start coming up with the figure they intend paying to whomever they want to employ and stop taking advantage of their fellows.

For HR Professionals, it has become imperative they ask that question. Any standard organization has designed a recruitment policy and salary structure. In interview assessment document that question is clearly stated. Any establishment that picks candidates based on lower salary with end up recruiting at all time.
It is good enough for you to place a price on yourself but do not over/under price yourself.

1 Like

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by missKiffy(f): 4:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
i totally agree with you OP
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
Here in France where I live you can ask its one of those things grin.

In Africa and Nigeria to be Precise its Cardinal Sin Number 1. stay away until you are told or otherwise. undecided
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by guruvick(m): 5:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
originally:

Since u first me na, so what's ur price?

If no price...

Why are you hating bros
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by suny247: 6:05pm On Jan 21, 2016
is not fair at all
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Duru009(m): 6:37pm On Jan 21, 2016
If u know ur worth......
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Gkemz: 6:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
Suigeneris93:
You're right op. Its the capitalist mentality, employers just want to use and exploit their employees.

I know my worth as an individual, if the company can't meet up to my expectations financially then they're not for me, kapish!

My dear it doesn't always work like that. How sure are you that your salary expectations is not below their own expectations. You need a first hand information from an insider about the salary and its not about what you worth.
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by gooddavid: 7:04pm On Jan 21, 2016
Mehn I really love this post
U'v just spoken the bitter truth
We need God 2 intervene
kekakuz:
[size=20pt] ooo ooo what is the point
You will be fired soon anyway
Oil is now less $20 per barrel
We are broke
Microfinance banks are folding up
Comercial banks are retrenching workers
A $ is now 300
Our life's as we know it is over
Worse of all we don't have experienced experts running the economy

[/size]
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by bigerboy200: 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2016
guruvick:
Why not, is your light grin
U b from BIA.... land of rising sun... cos na dem dey pronounce R as L. grin grin
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 21, 2016
Gkemz:

My dear it doesn't always work like that. How sure are you that your salary expectations is not below their own expectations. You need a first hand information from an insider about the salary and its not about what you worth.

I'm inclined to agree with u but in a situation where one doesn't hv an insider's info and the company tries to beat down my price,that's what I'm talking abt
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by guruvick(m): 8:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
bigerboy200:

U b from BIA.... land of rising sun... cos na dem dey pronounce R as L. grin grin

Lol

Am from there sha but my pronunciation correct die grin grin
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by remirez07(m): 8:18pm On Jan 21, 2016
chocolateme:
it has become a general phenomenon for companies and establishments to decline proposing on how much to pay their employ during interviews. They expect the person to come up first with an amount to be paid after which they will deliberate on who has the lowest figure among those interviewed and select from there.
Even the employee will be scared of giving the actual figure he or she thinks its right for the job lest another person goes in and beat him or her down to it especially those that has been working before now.
The establishments are not helping matters too, seeing that the best among them or rather the person they have decided to take for the job is way past below their original intention on the amount to pay him or her, they will keep quiet and allow the salary figure to be as the person stated or they may even reduce it a little yet you see the person very happy to have gotten the job.
For me, it is not really that fair in morals. They should start coming up with the figure they intend paying to whomever they want to employ and stop taking advantage of their fellows.
you should as well know before applying... I don't think it is normal to ask.
Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Richy4(m): 8:51pm On Jan 21, 2016
There's nothing wrong with the question... they just wanted to know if they can afford you because some employee are really too expensive to hire, so they just want to know how much you needed for your services to the company...

If you do not want to make mistakes about the answer, u can always turn the table on them smartly

You can say" I believe that this prestigious organisation has a salary structure tailored for someone as qualified as I am.... so do you mind telling me what it was...?

You have turn the table... but some stubborn ones might decide to play a smart one on you by insisting you say what you wanted......

2 Likes

Re: Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? by Nobody: 12:29am On Jan 22, 2016
Suigeneris93:
You're right op. Its the capitalist mentality, employers just want to use and exploit their employees.

I know my worth as an individual, if the company can't meet up to my expectations financially then they're not for me, kapish!

YOUR WORTH
??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Urgent Vacancies At ICM, ALLEN, V.I AND OTHERS - Apply Now! / Hotel Staff Or IRS Staff? Which Should I Go For? / An International Secondary School In Port Harcourt Is Recruiting Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.