Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,875 members, 7,813,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

The Ijaws That I Know - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ijaws That I Know (16706 Views)

When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet / Who The Ijaws Really Are. / History Of The Ijaws And Their Neighbours In Sourthern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2016
Ilaje44:

Hello young man, there are two Ijo groups in Ondo state. The Apois and the Arogbos. Of these two, the Arogbos are more Ijo than the Apois. Apoi people are Ijo only in name. They do not speak a language resembling Yoruba, but indeed a dialect of the Yoruba language similar to Ilaje and Ikale. Strictly speaking, only the Arogbos have much in common with the other Ijo groups from Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers.
You have already called them Ijaw groups. We shoulndnt argue!

As for those Igbo clowns, I no get their time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
if your maternal grandfather married 13wives, that one no concern me, but the most important thing is that, you have accepted that [s]most okrikan great grand mothers re igbos.[/s] Am here to set the record straight for readers.
Thank q

Where you see that one? My friend gerarahia jare....

TonyeBarcanista:

Rubbish! Which 55% Igbo? So you mean Okrikans didn't marry from other Ijaw clans and amongst themselves? You Igbos are just too funny! The % of non Ijaws that are married to Okrika men is not up to 15%. That is from Igbo, Ogoni, Ikwerre, Ibibio, Efik, Urhobo etc. Why una like to lie to unaselves?
Na where for Okrika kingdom wey Igbo is widely spoken? You de mistake Okrika for Nnewi abi na Onitsha? You and Afam sabi lie.
FYI: My uncle is actually the voice of Koniama(if you have a clue) grin grin.... My maternal grandfather was a head of Canoe House.... My Parternal Greatgrandfather was also a head of Canoe house. Don't think I'm a novince when it comes to okrika kingdom and Ijaw nation. Btw... I no lost for Lag/FCT, I do visit. grin grin grin
Stop Attachment!! Lemme make a confession, my maternal grandfather(a very great man) married over 13 wives, one is Igbo, one from Emohua (Ikwerre) and one is from Ogoni. The rest are from Okrika, Kalabari, Ubani and other Ijaw clans. cool

No provoke me jare.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Ikechu12781: 8:44pm On Jan 21, 2016
odogwu125:
Mr Bacanista, chek this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2689240/nigeria-tribal-war-looms-edo

grin grin grin grin grin

So the spanishkid aka mulatooclaro coward fool even started a thread where he claimed "war" with ijaw and co.

grin

I've seen desperation from some "WE SS" mofos before but this is hilarious

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by coolscott(m): 8:54pm On Jan 21, 2016
spanishkid:
Ijaws are the riverine people of Southern Nigeria. They live by the waters cos they're mainly fishermen by tradition. Ijaws can be found in Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, Ondo and even a fraction of them can be found in Benin Republic, Togo, Sierra Leone and Gabon. They're no doubt great travellers and very adventurous in nature.

Ijaws are one of the most detribalised ethnic groups in Nigeria. I remember when I was in Burutu last year, I was treated as one of them. One would not even be able to distinguish an indigene and myself cos I was treated like an indigene and given every privilege that was entitled to an Indigene. Whenever they go fishing, we were given fish and we always have fish pepper soup that day. The Chairman of that LGA always comes to check on us and even shares a drink with us. The youngest lawmaker in the history of Nigeria is an ijaw man by name Julius Pondi representing Burutu Federal Constituency. Ijaws are one of the most accommodating people in Nigeria and also ijaws are very brave. They're not afraid to take on anyone.

Someone on nairaland called ijaws land grabbers, boat dwellers, swamp settlers and drunken fishermen. How are ijaws land grabbers? Have they grabbed your land before? Ugomba should stop saying nonsense and calling my ijaw brothers land grabbers. Ugomba accused the ijaws of having an agenda. Please what agenda Ugomba? Why would ijaw want to grab your wastelands? Does your land have any economic value that ijaws would want to grab?

Cc: tonyebarcanista, truckpusher, martineverest, simplycarro, princedebola201, mulattoclaro, Goodboiyy, fineguy11 etc.
[size=13pt]I am Ijaw and my mum is Sierra-Leonean. I don't believe there are Ijaws in Sierra-Leone.
In Sierra-Leone, we have tribes like Mende, Timini, Kono etc, (the natives) and Creoles (the ones who got resettled after the abolition). I doubt you are correct on that one
[/size]

5 Likes

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by IGBOPRINCE: 8:59pm On Jan 21, 2016
Wizprodigy:

Yep but only in ika L.G the remaining 99% of akwa ibom is ibibio so mr tonye no space remain for land grabbing. This is Aks not rivers gerrit.
I ve heard that there is a small portion of igbos indigenes in ika local gvt area but I am not too sure about them since I ve not seen any link to prove it.

But that of ukanafun local gvt of akwa ibom is certain to me.

Let me call on pezienza, he may have the link to prove it.
Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Dedetwo(m): 9:00pm On Jan 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Google the emboldened....

Also add Eastern Ibeno people grin grin grin

Ijo is not an ethnic group. Ijo is derived from Jos as early Portuguese to Bight of Biafra named people living at the banks of river. It is the same derivation that gave rise to the so-called Brass people and in this case Brass was a salt-making device or plate.
Re: The Ijaws That I Know by coolscott(m): 9:02pm On Jan 21, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:

Anyway, what I am saying is that, they should try and put more efforts on one central language just like the way the igbo did.
this one you said okrikans see themselves first as okrikan and 2nd as ijaw, you sound like mr spokesman of okrika people,
Don't forget, you don't speaks for them all and everyone differs from you with different views. Remember you don't stay in okrika neither in portharcourt but you stay in abuja.

[size=15pt]Tonyebarcanista tells you the inclination of his people and you say he doesn't speak for them all. You, who do not come from there at all, how many of them do you speak for?[/size]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by coolscott(m): 9:05pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dedetwo:

Ijo is not an ethnic group. Ijo is derived from Jos as early Portuguese to Bight of Biafra named people living at the banks of river. It is the same derivation that gave rise to the so-called Brass people and in this case Brass was a salt-making device or plate.
[size=14pt]Please take a look at the area that the Portuguese called Biafra. You can find this map on the University of Princeton's website today[/size]

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Dedetwo(m): 9:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
coolscott:

[size=14pt]Please take a look at the area that the Portuguese called Biafra. You can find this map on the University of Princeton's website today[/size]

What has this dumbass map got to do with ethnicity?

1 Like

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by IGBOPRINCE: 9:17pm On Jan 21, 2016
spanishkid:
pls tonye stop replying these morons. They're very irrelevant. SS has spoken. Let's see how they'll force us into their Biafra project.
why did you have to open a thread like this when you re too weak to reply us.
Next find sth doing or better than this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by spanishkid(m): 9:19pm On Jan 21, 2016
coolscott:

[size=15pt]Tonyebarcanista tells you the inclination of his people and you say he doesn't speak for them all. You, who do not come from there at all, how many of them do you have the right to speak for?[/size]
bro stop answering that guy. Aren't you surprised that every nigerian has one negative to say about them? Imagine if biafra had succeed during the war. The marginalization of SS would have been epic. Those who don't know me are very quick to call me a tribalist but I'm far from a tribalist. I've lived amongst the igbos before. I had my bachelor's and masters degree in Canada but still came to Nigeria to partake in the Nysc scheme. Though I wasn't posted to a school or ministry but where I lived was a compound mainly inhabited by Corp members who 85% of them were igbos. Bros I got to see them for who they truly are. Though not all of them but more than half have this mentality that they were born to dominate everywhere they go. They have no respect for the host community. It got so bad that they landlord even refunded some of them and evicted them from the house. Do you know that they the king of that community had to intervene when the community boys wanted to break their heads. Bro doesn't it amaze you that they can migrate to another man's land and call it no man's land? If you give an igbo man an inch he will take a mile. They can't be trusted.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by spanishkid(m): 9:21pm On Jan 21, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
why did you have to open a thread like this when you re too weak to reply us.
Next find sth doing or better than this.
Hahaha. See this one. If not for the new rule on nairaland, people like you no reach na? I personally chased lygn19 and more than 7 other igbo nairalanders out of nairaland. Shouldn't you be out there stealing or something?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by coolscott(m): 9:22pm On Jan 21, 2016
Dedetwo:

[size=13pt]It is interesting that a people who could never organise themselves on an ethnic level, have the liver to declare other people (who have been historically heavily ethnically organised) a non-ethnic group.
Is it possible that scientists will find the gene responsible for inferior thought processes amongst your kind?

Educate yourself with the links provided below, screenshots of landing pages of which are attached below[/size]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people#Origin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people#Origin

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by IGBOPRINCE: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
spanishkid:
Hahaha. See this one. If not for the new rule on nairaland, people like you no reach na? I personally chased lygn19 and more than 7 other igbo nairalanders out of nairaland. Shouldn't you be out there stealing or something?
hahaha, I knew you re too weak if you can't chase me tonight..
How does the new rules on nairaland affected you? Re you biafran? no.
I remember when some of the easterner were deactivating their account and you came here to tell us you chase them away.
Abeg shift.

Like I said before, find something doing or open a good detribalised thread.

1 Like

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by coolscott(m): 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
spanishkid:
bro stop answering that guy. Aren't you surprised that every nigerian has one negative to say about them? Imagine if biafra had succeed during the war. The marginalization of SS would have been epic. Those who don't know me are very quick to call me a tribalist but I'm far from a tribalist. I've lived amongst the igbos before. I had my bachelor's and masters degree in Canada but still came to Nigeria to partake in the Nysc scheme. Though I wasn't posted to a school or ministry but where I lived was a compound mainly inhabited by Corp members who 85% of them were igbos. Bros I got to see them for who they truly are. Though not all of them but more than half have this mentality that they were born to dominate everywhere they go. They have no respect for the host community. It got so bad that they landlord even refunded some of them and evicted them from the house. Do you know that they the king of that community had to intervene when the community boys wanted to break their heads. Bro doesn't it amaze you that they can migrate to another man's land and call it no man's land? If you give an igbo man an inch he will take a mile. They can't be trusted.
True. I wish they were situated somewhere in the North. Maybe they would have been islamized. Maybe they would not have. But certainly we probably would have had more peace down south here, and by south, I mean SS,SW, SE. Just everything south.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by SupremeXYZ(m): 9:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
[s]
spanishkid:
I've come to realise how difficult life could be being an igbo man. Which Akwa Ibom and Cross River are you talking about? The one in your erosion ravaged communities or what? This is 2016. Wake up.
[/s]unam ikot,you must leave us out of your madness. Akpara ino.

5 Likes

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by IGBOPRINCE: 9:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
coolscott:

[size=15pt]Tonyebarcanista tells you the inclination of his people and you say he doesn't speak for them all. You, who do not come from there at all, how many of them do you have the right to speak for?[/size]
another land grabber. Pls dey your lane biko

5 Likes

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Wizprodigy: 9:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
cheruv:

As in eh
Iberibe ya bu nke bu stamp! shocked
As in eh, all his points were baseless. I even thought i was speaking to the wrong person. Was really disappointed.
Re: The Ijaws That I Know by coolscott(m): 10:49pm On Jan 21, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
another land grabber. Pls dey your lane biko
[size=13pt]Unfortunately, the only modern day land-grabbers known and recognized in Nigeria today are Igbos. You cannot wish a different view of the issue into reality. You know what they say about wishes and horses[/size]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
Wizprodigy:
Please and please, there are no ijaws in akwa ibom state, talk more of cross river. The only distinct tribe in akwa ibom is igbo and they are only found in ika L.G. Google can be your friend.

https://www.nairaland.com/2880694/nsibidi-ibibio-civilization-arochukwu

https://www.nairaland.com/2880640/ibibio-origins-okonko-cult#42189834

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibom_Isi
Re: The Ijaws That I Know by LMFashions: 11:04pm On Jan 21, 2016
Ikechu12781:

Nwoke stop arguing with that tonyebarcainsta bastard. I keep telling you people that monkey has a personality diaorder. He so fuvked up in the brain, he twist whatever reality to fit his bleeped up mentality. The guy needs severe help.

You can argue till next year, he'll never stop trying to land grap. He did it with ndoki, even with multiple links and ndoki's Facebook page where they themselves spoke on that matter, the severeally deranged fool is still today land grabbing their land. Everyone knows ibeno are ibibio. Heck I know this personally cause I know someone from there. Stop arguing.

Just do like I do whenever their Bini cousins try to steal aniomaland, defend your land with all your might and tell them to leave NL and come steal land in real life. You'll be waiting for them

That is what baffles me about that guy. Even when you should him references to your argument, the guy just won't give up. We had similar argument yesterday where he claimed that Sowore Omoyele is Ijaw, even with proof presented to him where Sowore himself said he's yoruba this boy tonye still insisted that he Ijaw.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by IGBOPRINCE: 11:20pm On Jan 21, 2016
spanishkid:
who send you? How dat one take consign us here? Abeg swerve jare,
see persin wey school for canada? Naim u turn nairaland to your papa house?
Abeg no dey tell us cock and bull stories nxt time.
The igbos wey school for london, usa and canada no dey even show themselves for nairaland. After una go dey shout, chest beater, see as you dey chest beat your lies now. I school for canada indeed and igbos try to dominate indeed.
Abeg shift or you park one side. cheesy
no be only bachelor degree in canada na spinster degree for canaanland.grin
Anu nan, onye masters degreeee grin

2 Likes

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
Re: The Ijaws That I Know by IGBOPRINCE: 11:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
coolscott:

[size=13pt]Unfortunately, the only modern day land-grabbers known and recognized in Nigeria today are Igbos. You cannot wish a different view of the issue into reality. You know what they say about wishes and horses[/size]
oh oh, another land grabber, I said again dey your lane biko. grin
Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 21, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
I ve heard that there is a small portion of igbos indigenes in ika local gvt area but I am not too sure about them since I ve not seen any link to prove it.

But that of ukanafun local gvt of akwa ibom is certain to me.

Let me call on pezienza, he may have the link to prove it.

https://www.nairaland.com/2880694/nsibidi-ibibio-civilization-arochukwu

https://www.nairaland.com/2880640/ibibio-origins-okonko-cult#42189834

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
NSIBIDI AND THE IBIBIO CIVILIZATION OF AROCHUKWU

The Ibibio word "Nyibi" which means turn in English, is the root of Nyibidi. Nyibidi means turning. The play was usually accompanied with drummings. The drum is called Ibit in Ibibio. The drum for the ruling Crown is called Ibit Itam. Itam means crown, hat, or headgear. Ekpe(leopard) was indeed the governing deity and Ibit Itam was one of their major plays. Ukara means governance or government in Ibibio. Ukara cloth is worn by those in the government of Ekpe. The Ekpe and even Ekpo masquerade of old used to dance in a circular motion in order to induce a trance-like effect or feeling. Hence Nyibidi. Ibibio is the largest language of the Cross River and Akwa Ibom territories. Efik, Ekoi, Annang, Oron, Eket, Qua, Ibeno, Okobo,etc. are all variations of Ibibio. The Ibibio owned and controlled Arochukwu until they lost it in 1634 to the allied forces of the migrating Igbo and the Akpa. The Igbo slaves of the Ibibio rebelled and joined forces with the Akpa who were themselves of Ibibio origin.
The Ibibios left both Arochukwu and their ancient Long Juju, but those who remained continued to run the oracles and influence the Igbo converts/practitioners of Ekpe.
The Ibibios and Efiks taught Nsibidi to the Igbos through the Ekpe society. The chief language used in Ekpe is Ibibio. The Ibibios and Efiks knew Arochukwu as Ibom and Mbot Abasi. Mbot means creation. Abasi means God. Therefore, Mbot Abasi means the creation of God or, simply, the people of God. While in Arochukwu, the Ibibio leaders had a secret society called Ekpe. Ekpe means leopard or lion. The leadership operated (and still does)in an esoteric manner. Only members are privy to the innerworkings of the group. They developed an elaborate system of logograms through which their ideas, knowledge, and activities were recorded. Nyibidi which means turning (going in circles), evolved into Nsibidi. Nsibidi is Ibibio for what is at play or, what's playing? Nso = what. I(as in letter "e" = is. Bidi = play or playing. NSO-I-BIDI (NSIBIDI) or NSO-I-BIRI(NSIBIRI) means what's playing? What's at play?
Therefore, Nsibidi means what is playing or, what's at play? The language and words used in Nsibidi ceremonies are mostly if not all Ibibio words. Ikpo is Ibibio word for funeral. Ikpe is also Ibibio for judgment. Enyong or eniong is Ibibio word for North or upper strata. Ekpe is Ibibio word for leopard and Esop is Ibibio word for court. Nsibidi was later adopted as the name for the writings associated with Ekpe society. It is true that the Europeans found most of the Nsibidi script among the Ekoi, but it is really of Ibibio origin. When Aro and their allies conquered the Ibibio in 1634, they took over the oracle but retained its priests, with Loesin as the chief priest. It was he who later initiated the new Aro indigenes into the cult as priests. IBINI UKPABI is the IGBO corruption of IBIT UKPABI( Ibibio for DRUM of the CREATOR or DRUM of the CREATOR GOD).
Some say the Igbos used the word IBINI as homage to the slave-raiding Oba of Benin who caused their migration to Arochukwu. After the IBIBIO lost AROCHUKWU, the Igbos renamed the Ibibio deity IBIT ITAM (Drum of the Crown). They called it IBINI UKPABI. IBIT is IBIBIO for DRUM. UKPABI is the creator. The corrupted version, IBINI UKPABI, is what they use these days. Since Arochukwu(Mbot Abasi in Ibibio or God's creation/people in English) is the spititual center of the Igbo race, you can say that their 'holyland' is actually of Ibibio origin. I'll call it the IBIBIO CIVILIZATION OF AROCHUKWU. The Ibibio created it and that explains why the Aro deities have mostly Ibibio names.
Photo's Source:Northcote Whitridge Thomas (1914) Anthropological report on the Ibo-speaking peoples of Nigeria, Part IV. Harrison and Sons
Author: Northcote Whitridge Thomas
Additional source: http://www.mediander.com/connects/501555/anaang-people/#!/

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by agadez007(m): 11:40pm On Jan 21, 2016
Barcanista must be cursing spanishkid in his mind by now,lol,,the boy opened this silly thread to kiss the ijaw boy's hairy ass but couldnt withstand the heat so he collected ''chioma ajunwa'' out of the Kitchen and left the scape goat to bear the brunts

chai,,,odikwa very sad

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by spanishkid(m): 11:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
IGBOPRINCE:
who send you? How dat one take consign us here? Abeg swerve jare,
see persin wey school for canada? Naim u turn nairaland to your papa house?
Abeg no dey tell us cock and bull stories nxt time.
The igbos wey school for london, usa and canada no dey even show themselves for nairaland. After una go dey shout, chest beater, see as you dey chest beat your lies now. I school for canada indeed and igbos try to dominate indeed.
Abeg shift or you park one side. cheesy
no be only bachelor degree in canada na spinster degree for canaanland.grin
Anu nan, onye masters degreeee grin

in as much as nairaland is a faceless forum, I'm not as wretched and broke as you are. I'll say it over and over again you penniless ipob rascal I studied in Canada. Is it my fault that you couldn't afford to school abroad? Have did you know I'm lying? Did you go to the same school with me? You're so poverty stricken you think everyone on nairaland is from your red mud cursed region called SE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jan 21, 2016
Ibom Isi
  (Redirected from Akpa)
"Akpa" redirects here. For the language, see Akpa language. For the Indian photographic society, see AKPA.
The Ibom Isi also known as the Akpa are one of the three main lineages compromising the Aro people. They are centered in Ibom, Arochukwu in Nigeria. This Aro lineage is originally from the Akamkpa kingdom in Ekoi (Okonyong) territory in the present day Cross River State in Southeastern Nigeria.

During the Aro-Ibibio Wars in present-day Arochukwu in the 17th-18th century, an Igbo leader named Okennachi (the first Igbo EzeAro), invited his allies the princes Osim and Akuma Nnubi from the east of the Cross River to assist him in overrunning the Ibibios and granting them lands. The Nnubis, led their people known as the Akpa to present-day Arochukwu. They led the Akpa forces to ally with Igbo forces and defeat the Ibibios. Though Osim Nnubi died, the Aros defeated the Ibibios and captured the area and Akuma became the first EzeAro or king. Akpa people are mainly in Ibom and other towns belonging to the Ibom Isi kindred but their traces can be found all over Arochukwu. They have highly influenced the Cross River Igbo culture.

Re: The Ijaws That I Know by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jan 21, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Giving And Receiving: Why Is The Righthand Deemed More Respectful? / Igogo Festival Shuts Down Akure City / Can The Irunmoles Incarnate As Orishas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.