Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,654 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . (6948 Views)

Obasanjo: We Should Beg Those Agitating For Biafra / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Pictured With Chidiogo Akunyili, Daughter Of Late Dora / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Attends Her Son's Movie Premiere In Hollywood (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by modik(m): 9:21am On Jan 25, 2016
Kikero112:

No....just Nigeria...among other resource dependent economies.

>>>1). Manufacturing works when your raw materials are sourced locally....or when you manufacture large amounts of quality goods for export.

>>>>2).When you are ready to work...and stop believing in share the money economics

1. Primary goods production is the way to go and agriculture friendly policies drive it.

2. Not all comments should be dignified with response.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mekaboy(m): 9:24am On Jan 25, 2016
MayorofLagos:

Lmao! Its amazing that everyone keep touting her experience as an asset. What really is her experience? She failed in her first tenure as finance minister. She came back and failed again....and these riffraff, panhandlers are asking for her return. To do what...fail a third time? Do Ibos want me to do a mythbuster on NOI...it wont be sweet, I promise you. Lets just leave her intact with her skeletons, no need for revelations.

Gbawe, iwo loko won....bring your bulala out and whip these freaks abeg. Lol. cheesy

I predicted the reaction of most Nigerians about this thread. I knew it will boil down to name calling and igbo vs yoruba. But my happiness is that after cursing online both igbos and yorubas will go back to wherever they earn their living from and suffer the effect of buharis mismanagement.

Okonjo iweala was a failure yet she was called back after the wonderful job she did under obj. She was such a failure that obasanjo recommended her as vice president for PMB if Buhari would get his support. Why did obasanjo recommend her to PMB as vice president?

Because obasanjo knew that despite how corrupt he and his colleagues were under his administration and all the looting that went on, this woman was able to pilot the plane and land Nigeria safely.

This same obasanjo openly said buhari was not a good administrator. I believe this was why he wanted NOI as vp to PMB to clean his mess.

From the very first day Okonjo iweala arrived to work for Nigeria under Gej , the character assassination began. The same corrupt politicians in PDP who are now APC saints began to attack.

Okonjo iweala is a thief, a corrupt woman, supervised the looting and put us in this mess. My happiness is that everyone says she supervised looting but was never involved.

My question is, this $2.1billion there are raising dust about, where was buhari when Abacha was looting the same funds under his nose?

When I asked the questions why buhari never spoke up about abacha during his reign people said Abacha was a military man and would kill buhari if he did. Even after abacha died buhari could not speak up..

This same Okonjo iweala never failed to give account for her spending for one day before the Senate or wherever she was called to defend herself. She was never found guilty for once but has been sentenced online based on the baseless alligations from the frustrated APC members like oshiomole that wanted to borrow to impress his babe.

I never knew Okonjo iweala was doubled as finance minister , Efcc and ICPC boss.

Okonjo iweala was corrupt and clueless and yet Nigeria is running on the policies she implemented. Buharis govt has adopted the policies she implemented. They have not been able to come up with any policy besides Deeping their hands into our accounts to collect N50.

Someone will ask me what are the policies of Okonjo iweala that buhari is using.?

Go and watch the state of the nation broadcast of pastor tunde bakare, asking buhari to implement the report of the national conference since he has adopted most policies of the previous administration.

Nigerians were made to believe on the paper that Okonjo iweala is corrupt and is the reason why we are in this mess, but the same corrupt Okonjo iweala has not been invited to efcc for once, only on the pages of the news papers.

Sometimes I feel sad that a lot of Nigerians have been so brainwashed by this APC govt that they are walking around with soap on their head.

They have been made to believe Gej alone and Okonjo iweala are responsible for what they are going through today.

Nigerians forget that it is not what is done at the Federal level that affects you but the state level.

The governors that shared the monies we would have saved are going free but the whole blame is on Okonjo iweala.

Okonjo iweala supervised the looting of the whole Nigeria, who supervised the 78m spent by Fashola on his personal website?

Who supervised the 86m spent by amechi to host one single individual in rivers?

It is funny how Nigerians have been brainwashed to leave their enemies and attack the innocent.

Nigerians were promised N5000 yet before their very eyes, They have not gotten the 5k but instead N50 is collected from them .

They have been made to believe that things are hard because of Gej and Okonjo iweala, there for its normal for them to suffer and loose their jobs because of oil prices.

But this hardship has not reflected in the feeding of the govt or their spending on themselves.

Believe me this dasuki case buhari has focused on and allowed our economy to crash, the money involved might not be up to 20 billion naira. But who will look into amechi and Fashola's spending?

Someone that could design a personal website for 78m who knows how much he will spend on other projects.

Amechi that is rich enough to spend 86 m to host one man to a party, how much will he spend on other projects.

Nobody wants to know the source of APC campaign funding.

But like I said, this thread is not about party or blame game but about our economy. We will all be affected irrespective of ethnicity, religion or party. But my only problem is that we are suffering and pointing to the wrong direction as the cause of our suffering while those who made us suffer are in exalted positions and sharing the money through inflated budget.

They promised to give to us when they enter, but are now taking from us.

I am not the only one criticising the govt based on the economy, but international media. Someone said on CNN that Okonjo iweala was The best and Nigerians called for his head.

Nigerians have been told the former driver of the bus they are in does not know how to drive, they should chase him out. They United, chased the driver out and a passenger of the bus was appointed to drive.

Now this passenger appointed driver is jamming the bus on every wall, destroying the headlamp that will be used to see in the dark and telling Nigerians, the reason he is driving like this and jamming the car is because of the former driver.

Please Nigerians wake up. Our policies if we have any is scaring investors away. We as a people need foriegn investors to bring in forex and create jobs. Our politicians don't need foriegn investment, what they need is money. They will borrow on our behalf to get it, they will also deep their hands in our pocket to get it.

We need someone who has investors confidence and the interest and understanding of our economy to take us to the negotiating table.

Okonjo iweala is the right person for that job. You can all suffer and smile and point in the wrong direction for the source of your misery, while those responsible are sharing the money, Deeping their hands in your pocket and robbing you.

Keep blaming Okonjo iweala.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 25, 2016
modik:

1. Primary goods production is the way to go and agriculture friendly policies drives it.

2. Not all comments should be dignified with response.

Smiles at no2.....sorry...was in a hurry.

Clarifying further......we must become industrial and innovative.Agric is subject to the same low and high prices oil is. (Many African countries who are on agric....also rely heavily on foreign loans at a rate higher than Nigeria.)
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mrmetoo1: 9:34am On Jan 25, 2016
I don't get how people think the economy was good under NOI. Nigeria made all that money, no diversification, no savings. Reno Omokri actually made an analogy about chasing the first wife out because she's a thief but the family got fed everyday, now the new wife can't feed them everyday. Reno actually tweeted that to defend the past administration.

Reno forgot to mention father lost his good job and got a new job with a 70% pay cut while still having to maintain the same obligations. Reno forgot to mention the old wife failed to invest when things were good and just spent on herself and stole the rest. New wife comes in meets an empty account and a poorer father and you expect them to eat as well as they used to just like that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by wirinet(m): 9:37am On Jan 25, 2016
Okonjo Iweala granted dubious import duty waivers that cost the country a whopping N1.4 trillion in 3 years. This is a woman that her kinsmen/woman want Buhari to hand over the country's financial management to? Maybe they want her to completely destroy Nigeria's economy in order to make way for their succession.

Nigeria Customs Service says import waivers massively abused under Okonjo-Iweala
Nigeria has lost a staggering N1.4 trillion on import waivers over the last there years and not N171 billion as claimed by finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

According to the Nigeria Customs Service in a new document, more hundreds of billions of naira were lost as authorities recklessly grant import/export incentives on unapproved goods from rice to fish to kolanuts, with no significant bearing on the economy, adding that more than 65 percent of beneficiaries received the grant for goods not approved by the government, which ordinarily should be limited to raw materials, machinery and spare parts.
https://www.naij.com/57136.html
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by naijaboy756: 9:41am On Jan 25, 2016
wirinet:
Okonjo Iweala granted dubious import duty waivers that cost the country a whopping N1.4 trillion in 3 years. This is a woman that her kinsmen/woman want Buhari to hand over the country's financial management to? Maybe they want her to completely destroy Nigeria's in order to make way for their succession.

when kids talk, you just know. Summary is that the economy and life were better under GEJ than this pain we all live in
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mrmetoo1: 9:49am On Jan 25, 2016
mekaboy:

I predicted the reaction of most Nigerians about this thread. I knew it will boil down to name calling and igbo vs yoruba. But my happiness is that after cursing online both igbos and yorubas will go back to wherever they earn their living from and suffer the effect of buharis mismanagement.

Okonjo iweala was a failure yet she was called back after the wonderful job she did under obj. She was such a failure that obasanjo recommended her as vice president for PMB if Buhari would get his support. Why did obasanjo recommend her to PMB as vice president?

Because obasanjo knew that despite how corrupt he and his colleagues were under his administration and all the looting that went on, this woman was able to pilot the plane and land Nigeria safely.

This same obasanjo openly said buhari was not a good administrator. I believe this was why he wanted NOI as vp to PMB to clean his mess.

From the very first day Okonjo iweala arrived to work for Nigeria under Gej , the character assassination began. The same corrupt politicians in PDP who are now APC saints began to attack.

Okonjo iweala is a thief, a corrupt woman, supervised the looting and put us in this mess. My happiness is that everyone says she supervised looting but was never involved.

My question is, this $2.1billion there are raising dust about, where was buhari when Abacha was looting the same funds under his nose?

When I asked the questions why buhari never spoke up about abacha during his reign people said Abacha was a military man and would kill buhari if he did. Even after abacha died buhari could not speak up..

This same Okonjo iweala never failed to give account for her spending for one day before the Senate or wherever she was called to defend herself. She was never found guilty for once but has been sentenced online based on the baseless alligations from the frustrated APC members like oshiomole that wanted to borrow to impress his babe.

I never knew Okonjo iweala was doubled as finance minister , Efcc and ICPC boss.

Okonjo iweala was corrupt and clueless and yet Nigeria is running on the policies she implemented. Buharis govt has adopted the policies she implemented. They have not been able to come up with any policy besides Deeping their hands into our accounts to collect N50.

Someone will ask me what are the policies of Okonjo iweala that buhari is using.?

Go and watch the state of the nation broadcast of pastor tunde bakare, asking buhari to implement the report of the national conference since he has adopted most policies of the previous administration.

Nigerians were made to believe on the paper that Okonjo iweala is corrupt and is the reason why we are in this mess, but the same corrupt Okonjo iweala has not been invited to efcc for once, only on the pages of the news papers.

Sometimes I feel sad that a lot of Nigerians have been so brainwashed by this APC govt that they are walking around with soap on their head.

They have been made to believe Gej alone and Okonjo iweala are responsible for what they are going through today.

Nigerians forget that it is not what is done at the Federal level that affects you but the state level.

The governors that shared the monies we would have saved are going free but the whole blame is on Okonjo iweala.

Okonjo iweala supervised the looting of the whole Nigeria, who supervised the 78m spent by Fashola on his personal website?

It is funny how Nigerians have been brainwashed to leave their enemies and attack the innocent.

Nigerians were promised N5000 yet before their very eyes, They have not gotten the 5k but instead N50 is collected from them .

They have been made to believe that things are hard because of Gej and Okonjo iweala, there for its normal for them to suffer and loose their jobs because of oil prices.

But this hardship has not reflected in the feeding of the govt or their spending on themselves.

Believe me this dasuki case buhari has focused on and allowed our economy to crash, the money involved might not be up to 20 billion naira. But who will look into amechi and Fashola's spending?

Someone that could design a personal website for 78m who knows how much he will spend on other projects.

Amechi that is rich enough to spend 86 m to host one man to a party, how much will he spend on other projects.

But like I said, this thread is not about party or blame game but about our economy. We will all be affected irrespective of ethnicity, religion or party. But my only problem is that we are suffering and pointing to the wrong direction as the cause of our suffering while those who made us suffer are in exalted positions and sharing the money through inflated budget.

I am not the only one criticising the govt based on the economy, but international media. Someone said on CNN that Okonjo iweala was The best and Nigerians called for his head.

Nigerians have been told the former driver of the bus they are in does not know how to drive, they should chase him out. They United, chased the driver out and a passenger of the bus was appointed to drive.

Now this passenger appointed driver is jamming the bus on every wall, destroying the headlamp that will be used to see in the dark and telling Nigerians, the reason he is driving like this and jamming the car is because of the former driver.

Please Nigerians wake up. Our policies if we have any is scaring investors away. We as a people need foriegn investors to bring in forex and create jobs. Our politicians don't need foriegn investment, what they need is money. They will borrow on our behalf to get it, they will also deep their hands in our pocket to get it.

We need someone who has investors confidence and the interest and understanding of our economy to take us to the negotiating table.

Okonjo iweala is the right person for that job. You can all suffer and smile and point in the wrong direction for the source of your misery, while those responsible are sharing the money, Deeping their hands in your pocket and robbing you.

You're kinda all over the place with your points. You want to dissociate her from the waste and corruption that happened under her then you turn around to want to give her credit for something like the National conference. That's rather confusing to be me. I'm glad you brought OBJ up. This is the same man that said the NOI under him wasn't the same one under Jonathan? What do you think he meant by that statement. Then I stand to be corrected but this is the first time ever I've read or heard that OBJ was trying to get NOI to be PMB's running mate. I'm not arguing that NOI isn't a bright woman, all I know is she let her environment get the better of her. How do you abdicate your responsibility as she did when she was handing over the recovered loot money to Dasuki? She did that because she knew the money will be mismanaged. If she had maintained her integrity and resigned, believe me, for that one act, Nigerians would be banging on her door right now begging her to serve again.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by MabraO: 9:53am On Jan 25, 2016
Y is it that some particular set of this country reason like a day old baby?

Ask urself this question
Is ngozi d only economist that can fix this country? Are there no person(s) better than her y only her
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by wirinet(m): 10:00am On Jan 25, 2016
naijaboy756:
when kids talk, you just know. Summary is that the economy and life were better under GEJ than this pain we all live in
why not dispute the facts instead of throwing tantrums. The economy looked better because there was lots of money (corruption proceeds)being thrown around. Subsidy fraud money, import duty scam money, NNPC stolen money, stolen crude money, stolen Defense money, etc, i am yet to even add the high levels of corruption proceeds at the states and local government levels. In fact the economy was awashed with corrupt monies , all due to high oil prices, and all these were supervised by the coordinating minister of the economy.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by Remii(m): 10:00am On Jan 25, 2016
MabraO:
Y is it that some particular set of this country reason like a day old baby?

Ask urself this question
Is ngozi d only economist that can fix this country? Are there no person(s) better than her y only her
nigeria will be better again without anyone's demigod,
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mekaboy(m): 10:05am On Jan 25, 2016
mrmetoo1:

You're kinda all over the place with your points. You want to dissociate her from the waste and corruption that happened under her then you turn around to want to give her credit for something like the National conference. That's rather confusing to be me. I'm glad you brought OBJ up. This is the same man that said the NOI under him wasn't the same one under Jonathan? What do you think he meant by that statement. Then I stand to be corrected but this is the first time ever I've read or heard that OBJ was trying to get NOI to be PMB's running mate. I'm not arguing that NOI isn't a bright woman, all I know is she let her environment get the better of her. How do you abdicate your responsibility as she did when she was handing over the recovered loot money to Dasuki? She did that because she knew the money will be mismanaged. If she had maintained her integrity and resigned, believe me, for that one act, Nigerians would be banging on her door right now begging her to serve again.

What is the difference between Okonjo iweala in OBJ's administration and Gej? Nothing. Just that obj did not want Gej to go for second term.

I am not giving her credit for national conference but her policies that pastor bakare listed in his state of the nation speech that buhari has adopted.

It will be nice if u can watch the video.

Like I said,Dasuki money was signed out for the purchase of arms just like any other allocation. It is not the responsibility of the finance minister to ensure you use it for that purpose.

The same way funds are allocated to states from the federal level. If the state governor decides to use 78m to design his personal website or host wole soyinka with 86m it is not the responsibility of the finance minister.

Did buhari resign under abacha when he looted the money that is in question today?
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by 1wolex85: 11:11am On Jan 25, 2016
mekaboy:

This is a long epistle that adds absolutely nothing to this thread. Must NOI be the finance minister before she can contribute her quota in helping her country?

I asked you before, what experience does she have managing a one-resource dependent economy whose price has plummeted?

Was our economy the best under her when we were selling crude at record prices?

NOI told us our economy will go burst if we continued subsidy payments in Jan 2012. The govt continued it partially and barely 2 years later, she came to tell us we are now the biggest economy in Africa! Something doesnt add up!

For all her brilliance (I dont doubt she is), this woman made mistakes and it is shameful that you are trying to make her out as an infallible person.

You keep saying the economy would have been better with her in charge, how do you know this for sure? Is she a magician?

This argument of yours is ridiculous to say the least. LET KEMI DIE BEFORE YOU BURY HER.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mekaboy(m): 11:23am On Jan 25, 2016
1wolex85:

This is a long epistle that adds absolutely nothing to this thread. Must NOI be the finance minister before she can contribute her quota in helping her country?

I asked you before, what experience does she have managing a one-resource dependent economy whose price has plummeted?

Was our economy the best under her when we were selling crude at record prices?

NOI told us our economy will go burst if we continued subsidy payments in Jan 2012. The govt continued it partially and barely 2 years later, she came to tell us we are now the biggest economy in Africa! Something doesnt add up!

For all her brilliance (I dont doubt she is), this woman made mistakes and it is shameful that you are trying to make her out as an infallible person.

You keep saying the economy would have been better with her in charge, how do you know this for sure? Is she a magician?

This argument of yours is ridiculous to say the least. LET KEMI DIE BEFORE YOU BURY HER.

You still haven't pointed out any of her mistakes.

Is the introduction of biometric verification of workers that saved Nigeria billions yearly a mistake?

Is the reform in pension scheme a mistake?

Is the e - wallet for farmers that saved us billions from fertiliser scam a mistake?

Is the improved agric produce that made Nigeria to save billions from food import a mistake?

who is making the mistake now? They one who is managing the economy now with hyper inflation and increase in unemployment or the one that stablized the economy in the face of challenges.?

You want her to contribute to the economy when u don't acknowledge her efforts. Buhari as a president is adopting her policies to run his govt, yet his party members insult and castigate her online. You want her to contribute when you have not acknowledged her policies that u are using.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by Gbawe: 11:37am On Jan 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You people keep saying all this shifting blame talk. It is impossible for a government that is largely dependent on Crude Sales to florish after such drop in the crude price. It is a fact. If Okonjo Iweala was a reasonable person, she would know her decision to turn a blind eye to the massive corruption practices under GEJ would harm the Nation.

The woman was a complete disaster and a major accomplice to the worst looting in the history of Nigeria. Painting such a devil as an angel is terrible.

I have no doubt the present Government will turn things around. Even with the falling crude price, I still expect this government to shine through it. It is just a rough patch created by Iweala and co.

Good will bless you ojare. You are 100% correct when you say "It is impossible for a government that is largely dependent on Crude Sales to florish after such drop in the crude price". That is the crux of the matter and it is what we are trying to explain to theses armchair critics who keep expecting miracles and asking NOI back. The article below, hosting the comment of expert economic analysts, is from 2014 when NOI held sway and oil sold at $68.00 per barrel. It warns us not to expect any swift recovery at a time conditions were much more favourable than they are today. If the outlook was very bleak back then, and NOI led us into that gloomy storm, what is she coming back to do now oil is $27.00 per barrel global demand for Nigerian crude is falling?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nigerias-tumbling-currency-a-victim-of-falling-oil-prices-1417535209

Nigeria’s Tumbling Currency a Victim of Falling Oil Prices
Highly Oil Dependent Economy Feeling the Pinch
Nigeria’s currency has fallen to record lows as the country is hit by its dependency on oil, the price of which has tumbled 40% since June.
REUTERS
By PATRICK MCGROARTY, DREW HINSHAW and JOSIE COX
Updated Dec. 2, 2014 2:20 p.m. ET
3 COMMENTS
Nigeria’s currency tumbled to a record low on Tuesday, hammered by falling oil prices that have weighed on Africa’s top economy as it heads toward an election.

Nigeria overestimated oil prices this year by a wide margin—and is now suffering. Economists fear weak oil prices may prevent Africa’s most populous nation from hitting the 7% growth the International Monetary Fund has forecast for this year.

“We’re a substantial way from the economy even starting to think about being able to recover,” said Nitesh Shah, an analyst at ETF Securities in London. “The government’s options are limited.”

Oil and natural gas make up almost all of Nigeria’s exports and 80% of government revenue, according to the IMF.

As Brent crude prices have slipped 40% since June, to $68 a barrel, the wheels have begun to come off Nigeria’s economy.

Nigeria, whose economy surpassed South Africa in April as the continent’s largest, has striven to generate revenue beyond oil. Recent years saw promising growth in booming telecommunications, banks, hotels and other service businesses.

But to sustain that growth, businesses say they need bigger ports, more highways and fewer blackouts that crimp factory production and curb tax revenue. A weaker naira will make it more expensive to build that infrastructure.

The naira slumped to 186.9 to the U.S. dollar, traders said, extending a slide that has shaved more than 10% off its value this year.

Many African countries are paying the price for counting on one commodity to drive their economies. Growth has stalled in oil-rich Angola. Falling copper prices have dented growth in Zambia. Lower iron-ore prices were hurting Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone even before the Ebola epidemic made things far worse.

ENLARGE
President Goodluck Jonathan, standing for re-election, has come under pressure to avoid unpopular spending cuts. As a result, the current budget of nearly $30 billion is hardly $1 billion leaner than last year’s, but the decline in oil prices has choked revenue.

In October, Nigeria—which spends a fifth of its budget on its military—borrowed an additional $1 billion to buy helicopters, fighter jets and other equipment to combat Islamist militants. On Tuesday, the insurgency Boko Haram bombed a market in one city and raided police barracks in another.

In November, the government submitted a revised budget that proposes spending cuts based on a new average oil price of $73 a barrel. But even that price could be “overly optimistic,” warned the central bank governor, Godwin Emefiele.
‘We get used to high oil prices and assume it’s going to be there forever.’
—Ken Iwelumo, former investment banker
Nigeria isn’t the only big oil producer with a wilting currency. Russia’s ruble has shed nearly half of its value against the dollar since May. Norway’s krone has dropped 17% since then, and the Canadian dollar is down 5%.

[size=14pt]But Nigeria is particularly vulnerable. Unlike its peers, it didn’t save while oil prices were high. A public fund that contained $20 billion in oil proceeds when crude prices first surged past $100 a barrel in 2008 had shrunk to $4 billion as of November.

“We get used to high oil prices and assume it’s going to be there forever,” said Ken Iwelumo, a former investment banker who now farms catfish in Nigeria.

[/size]
Economists say oil prices could stay low for months. The 12-member Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, who collectively pump more than a third of the world’s oil, agreed last week to maintain a target of producing 30 million barrels a day.

Meanwhile, the country’s power-privatization program has hit snags. Investors say they can’t improve supply until the government invests $1.5 billion a year to replace a rusted-out grid of power lines.

Nigeria’s All-Shares Index fell 1.8% on Tuesday, extending a drop of almost 18% this year.

In November, Nigeria’s central bank tried to support the naira by limiting sales of the U.S. dollar. When the naira continued to drop, the central bank bought the Nigerian currency to pump up demand, traders say. The bank’s foreign-exchange reserves shrank by $2 billion and the selloff continued.

Last week, the central bank raised its benchmark interest rate by one percentage point to a record 13%. It also lowered the naira’s target trading band to around 168 against the dollar from 155 previously.

The naira is still trading outside that target. Fresh dollar sales by the central bank did little to stop its slide, traders say.

“Things are happening too quickly, too suddenly, too sharply for the average Nigerian or even analysts to process,” said Bizmark Rewane, managing director of Lagos-based Financial Derivatives Co. “We do not know what will happen.”

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by 1wolex85: 11:45am On Jan 25, 2016
mekaboy:

You still haven't pointed out any of her mistakes.

Is the introduction of biometric verification of workers that saved Nigeria billions yearly a mistake?

Is the reform in pension scheme a mistake?

Is the e - wallet for farmers that saved us billions from fertiliser scam a mistake?

Is the improved agric produce that made Nigeria to save billions from food import a mistake?

who is making the mistake now? They one who is managing the economy now with hyper inflation and increase in unemployment or the one that stablized the economy in the face of challenges.?

You want her to contribute to the economy when u don't acknowledge her efforts. Buhari as a president is adopting her policies to run his govt, yet his party members insult and castigate her online. You want her to contribute when you have not acknowledged her policies that u are using.

You have this unnecessary way of deviating from the subject matter. Are you aware why Obj moved her to the foreign affairs ministry? I'd leave you to find out. She was also roped in by releasing unappropriated funds to the nsa even though she tried to cover her tracks. She told us Nigeria's economy is in dire straits when it came to subsidy payments but we turned out to be the biggest economy in africa when it was time to play politics with little to show for it, I could go on and on.

If she is waiting for someone to acknowledge her 'efforts' before she contributes, she can as well stay away!

You say Buhari is using her policies, then you say Buhari is destroying the economy, then you say, Buhari should beg her to come back. If her policies were so good, how come Buhari is using them and destroying the economy at the same time?

Enough of this drivel!

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 25, 2016
Better to watch football while you still can grin grin grin grin

phaiting kworrupsion

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by fallout87: 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2016
Gbawe:

Your argument is merely emotional so I am not surprised it is highly ignorant. It is the job of every finance minister to find ways to raise non-oil revenue, i.e diversify our mono economy, and indeed Adeosun makes this her priority. Even NOI touted this publicly (see below) but we all now know she succumbed to helping GEJ and co loot Nigeria while supplying the "robust economy" lies to fool the world even when we had started to borrow to pay salaries. Tragic you guys continue with the sadistic defence of the failure called NOI.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ed7107d8-8c57-11e5-a549-b89a1dfede9b.html#axzz3yDsYYnoI

There is no emotion. I am not an Ibo. I will repeat how Nigeria is structured, diversifying of economy is done state by state. GEJ tried to support agricultural advancement and even developed a corruption proof method of paying farmers.

The problem for Nigeria had always been the Governors. They are lazy, they never implement the good programs of the FG because they are too lazy enjoying their oil money.

It is the reason Tinubu can go from working 9 to 5 job in US, to senator and to governor and accrued BILLIONS in net worth. They get the security vote and instead of using it to facilitate programs to develop their individual economy or build good roads, they build cheap crap that won't last and then use the rest to buy properties in other countries.

Then you guys come support them as if they aren't the reason the country had rotted.

Oh how I wish they probe every Governors security vote the way they have proved Dasuki. Then maybe this corruption war would be worth something

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mekaboy(m): 1:34pm On Jan 25, 2016
1wolex85:

You have this unnecessary way of deviating from the subject matter. Are you aware why Obj moved her to the foreign affairs ministry? I'd leave you to find out. She was also roped in by releasing unappropriated funds to the nsa even though she tried to cover her tracks. She told us Nigeria's economy is in dire straits when it came to subsidy payments but we turned out to be the biggest economy in africa when it was time to play politics with little to show for it, I could go on and on.

If she is waiting for someone to acknowledge her 'efforts' before she contributes, she can as well stay away!

You say Buhari is using her policies, then you say Buhari is destroying the economy, then you say, Buhari should beg her to come back. If her policies were so good, how come Buhari is using them and destroying the economy at the same time?

Enough of this drivel!

Lol. She was roped in ? Unappropriated funds? is it that you don't know the truth of the matter or choose to pretend? If the fund was unappropriated, she should have been the first person to be invited by efcc.

Secondly her policies are being used and there is need for more of such, since buhari and his team have not been able to come up with anything creative besides collecting from the citizens, then she should be consulted.

Obasanjo knows why he moved her there , so she would not interfere in his spending.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by omenka(m): 1:53pm On Jan 25, 2016
Gbawe:

Your argument is merely emotional so I am not surprised it is highly ignorant. It is the job of every finance minister to find ways to raise non-oil revenue, i.e diversify our mono economy, and indeed Adeosun makes this her priority. Even NOI touted this publicly (see below) but we all now know she succumbed to helping GEJ and co loot Nigeria while supplying the "robust economy" lies to fool the world even when we had started to borrow to pay salaries. Tragic you guys continue with the sadistic defence of the failure called NOI.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ed7107d8-8c57-11e5-a549-b89a1dfede9b.html#axzz3yDsYYnoI

Killing a fly with a sledgehammer-- not nice at all.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by 1wolex85: 2:24pm On Jan 25, 2016
mekaboy:

Lol. She was roped in ? Unappropriated funds? is it that you don't know the truth of the matter or choose to pretend? If the fund was unappropriated, she should have been the first person to be invited by efcc.

Secondly her policies are being used and there is need for more of such, since buhari and his team have not been able to come up with anything creative besides collecting from the citizens, then she should be consulted.

Obasanjo knows why he moved her there , so she would not interfere in his spending.

Sometimes I wonder what you are thinking, did you see the letter she wrote or you chose not to read it? The Abacha loot, was it appropriated by the national assembly or not?

You say her policies are being used, then you say Buhari is killing the economy, doesnt that mean her policies are killing the economy?

You must be very naive! so OBJ needs to move her before he steals abi? You just continue to make conclusive statements without any premise whatsoever!

You can continue dwelling in your ignorance.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by fallout87: 2:29pm On Jan 25, 2016
omenka:
Killing a fly with a sledgehammer-- not nice at all.

Lol! See this ones feelings still hurt after I disgraced him here:

https://www.nairaland.com/2838079/pic-what-cnn-just-tweet#41585361

You can't even read dates properly! Go find someone of your level to "interact" with.

Oya now beg and cry out again for mod to save you because I've disgrace you again grin
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:42pm On Jan 25, 2016
mekaboy:

We are not suffering from Buhari's mismanagement but Okonjo Iweala's mismanagement. Buhari is trying to clean up the mess GEJ and NOI created.

Despite a record price of Crude Oil sales, we were still borrowing and our foreign reserves depleted under Okonjo Iweala. If Obama wants to recommend her for the Nobel price of Economics, it does not change her catastrophic failures.

Buhari is cleaning her mess while he faces low price from crude oil.

After praising Okonjo Iweala's failure to the high heavens, you will still go back and feel the effect of her terrible mismanagement of the economy despite a windfall of revenue from crude oil.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mekaboy(m): 2:46pm On Jan 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Sometimes I wonder what you are thinking, did you see the letter she wrote or you chose not to read it? The Abacha loot, was it appropriated by the national assembly or not?

You say her policies are being used, then you say Buhari is killing the economy, doesnt that mean her policies are killing the economy?

You must be very naive! so OBJ needs to move her before he steals abi? You just continue to make conclusive statements without any premise whatsoever!

You can continue dwelling in your ignorance.

I am still waiting for you to point out 1 thing she did wrong , but u haven't. What's wrong with the letter from the meeting she had with the president and dasuki. You even did not read that the money was a loan and not for free.

All your accusations are from propaganda online. Is buhari or efcc afraid of her?

Why hasn't she been invited?
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:50pm On Jan 25, 2016
1wolex85:

For all her brilliance (I dont doubt she is), .

When People hail this NOI as brilliant, it baffles me. Only a dull person can mismanage that amount of Revenue Nigeria made. What kind of brilliant person's signs off recovered loots for looting.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by fallout87: 2:53pm On Jan 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

When People hail this NOI as brilliant, it baffles me. Only a dull person can mismanage that amount of Revenue Nigeria made. What kind of brilliant person's signs off recovered loots for looting.

Here is your hypocriscy. Why aren't you even angrier at the state-level wastage of resources?

Why do Governors get billions in security vote they spend on God knows what, yet you always point the finger at the center? ??

It is time these Governors were forced into transparency. They would never allow that and you guys would support their corruption in now wanting it as well.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by ariesbull: 2:55pm On Jan 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

We are not suffering from Buhari's mismanagement but Okonjo Iweala's mismanagement. Buhari is trying to clean up the mess GEJ and NOI created.

Despite a record price of Crude Oil sales, we were still borrowing and our foreign reserves depleted under Okonjo Iweala. If Obama wants to recommend her for the Nobel price of Economics, it does not change her catastrophic failures.

Buhari is cleaning her mess while he faces low price from crude oil.

After praising Okonjo Iweala's failure to the high heavens, you will still go back and feel the effect of her terrible mismanagement of the economy despite a windfall of revenue from crude oil.

When. It comes to money management..... The Yoruba are the worst people
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:59pm On Jan 25, 2016
fallout87:

Here is your hypocriscy. Why aren't you even angrier at the state-level wastage of resources?

Why do Governors get billions in security vote they spend on God knows what, yet you always point the finger at the center? ??

It is time these Governors were forced into transparency. They would never allow that and you guys would support their corruption in now wanting it as well.

This thread is about how terrible Okonjo Iweala was as an economic minister. If we want to castigate governors for their wastages, I am all for it.

I am not just angry but I am pissed at the massive wastage under Okonjo Iweala and co. The mismanagement is baffling and for people to come here and hail the woman after all she did to sink this country baffles me.

If you want us to bombard governors and show how angry we are at their mismanagement I am for it. Defending them is what is most irritating as some people are defending Okonjo. The arms deal/Abacha funds, shows the kind of person she is.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:01pm On Jan 25, 2016
ariesbull:

When. It comes to money management..... The Yoruba are the worst people

Must your point be tribally affiliated. Forget this Igbo and Yoruba thing, and face the fact. Okonjo Iweala is a person and she does not represent all Igbos.

Criticising her mismanagement of the economy is not a target of Igbos.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by 1wolex85: 3:03pm On Jan 25, 2016
mekaboy:

I am still waiting for you to point out 1 thing she did wrong , but u haven't. What's wrong with the letter from the meeting she had with the president and dasuki. You even did not read that the money was a loan and not for free.

All your accusations are from propaganda online. Is buhari or efcc afraid of her?

Why hasn't she been invited?

Oga, just stop being mischievous! Can you tell me what gives her the right to loan that money? Is that the due process? Your thought pattern is really unique, never seen one as warped as yours and you seem to miss my point because you always like to bring in issues that werent up for discussion.

For the last time;

-There is no basis for you to be 100% sure that NOI has a solution to this economic situation because she has not managed this kind before, she is no magician
-Kemi just came into that job and you cannot by any stretch of the imagination say she has failed, she deserves time to prove herself

1 Like

Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by 1wolex85: 3:05pm On Jan 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Actually, I have read and watched some interviews and it is my opinion that she is brilliant and I stand by it, having said that, being brilliant doesnt mean one is infallible.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:20pm On Jan 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Actually, I have read and watched some interviews and it is my opinion that she is brilliant and I stand by it, having said that, being brilliant doesnt mean one is infallible.

I have read and watch her interviews and I do not see what is the fuss about her.

For instance, Amanpour asked her why is our Power supply so poor under GEJ.

Her reply, we had little to no investment in power before GEJ.

That was a poor and blatant lie. Not smart to me.

If you read some of her replies to Oshomole, like when she listed the governors that received money from the ECA funds, you will see that she missed a lot if points.

Look at her reply on the diversion of the Abacha loot, her reply was that she wrote that the President should watch over it.

I honestly do not find her smart as people make her.
Re: Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . by mekaboy(m): 3:23pm On Jan 25, 2016
1wolex85:

Oga, just stop being mischievous! Can you tell me what gives her the right to loan that money? Is that the due process? Your thought pattern is really unique, never seen one as warped as yours and you seem to miss my point because you always like to bring in issues that werent up for discussion.

For the last time;

-There is no basis for you to be 100% sure that NOI has a solution to this economic situation because she has not managed this kind before, she is no magician
-Kemi just came into that job and you cannot by any stretch of the imagination say she has failed, she deserves time to prove herself

You also have no bases to say she doesn't because our economy was better under her. Are you arguing for arguing sake?

Are u saying she just woke up and gave a loan? You seem to know more about this case than buhari, Senate and efcc. Maybe you should just jail her.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Abdulrazaq Abdulrahman Revalidates His APC Membership / S’East Plots To Dump PDP, Plans Merging APGA With ACN? / Adedeji Doherty Blames Lack Of Structure For PDP's Loses In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 197
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.