Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? (15249 Views)

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / "Super Rich Churches That Do Business Must Pay Tax" – Sheikh Abdur-Rahman Ahmad / Will I Go To Hell For Not Paying Tax To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by jerrymej(m): 4:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
Ok we've heard you, we can't treat it here, as such we'll lay it to the desk of the Imediate president (Mr committee Good luck Jonathan) to set up a foreign committee to look into the matter.

I miss than man... my able president.!!!
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by neocortex: 4:39pm On Jan 27, 2016
kolnel:
I concur
Today Pentecostal churches are just using the gullibles to enrich themselves
Unlike the old churches who gave back to the society and educated our parents and grand parents for free
Tax them heavily if they can't give back to the society apart from fake miracles and fake hopes they offer

Unfortunately, the reality is that there are no fake hopes.
Human minds are always geared towards
messages of hope no matter how unrealistic
or absurd they are, consequently hope is the
most expensive commodity on earth, even
some are willing to die for it.

The god of men knows this and they will
continue to sell it to increase their pocket
and power.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Owliver(m): 4:41pm On Jan 27, 2016
silent10:

I also believe tax payments varies accordin 2 wat u earn. So in dat case, churches shld b tax more.
when you tax with percentage. everyone pays same thing rich or poor.

enough
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Etizz: 4:42pm On Jan 27, 2016
oduastates:
These pentecostal business centres should be made to pay the highest punitive tax rate possible.
Only the clueless and the brainwashed " not my portion" zombies will argue against.
They are doing so much damage that if possible, their books should be examined and if any misappropriation is discovered ,they should be penalised.
The only thing they are good at is opening branches all over the place to vacuum resources from local communities.
Who can forget the harvests and special donation events organised by the old generation churches( Catholic, Anglican, Methodist etc) to fund local development?
From beautiful schools where the poor get sound education to hospitals and orphanages.
Not one or even ten of my friends' children attend such school free of any charge and funded from donations by the local congregation and the neighbourhood.
Obviously not in Nigeria because the Christians have gone insane.
Those type of churches still exists.in the developed world that is.

Even if u want to say something dat make sense must u use those words?

Abi u get problem with pentecostal church before?

Or u are transferring aggression??
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by judedwriter(m): 4:43pm On Jan 27, 2016
Edygrin:
They shouldn't forget to add shrines too.
lol. Babalawos and herbalists inclusive.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Btruth: 4:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
Jesus paid his tax, and it shows that His father in heaven even recognise it too by providing the fund through the mouth of the fish.

Alfred200825:
If Jesus could pay his tax, who are Bishops, Imams,Pastors Priests not to pay their tax?

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by silent10(m): 4:45pm On Jan 27, 2016
carinmom:

No its not about being a Yoruba muslim, mosques are not money making ventures like Churches. There is nothing like payment of tithes. Mosques are mainly built by good Samaritans for people to use for five daily prayers or jumu'at prayers without the person who owns the mosque gaining a dime from it. Sometimes they are built by communities for the sole purpose of observing their five daily prayers.
THUMBS UP

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Tvegas(m): 4:46pm On Jan 27, 2016
modath:

Our churches are sitting on goldmines already, they don't our help, most of our mega churches can finance MDA budgets....

Aswear, if not for not forsaking gathering of brethrens, a don taya for the shenanigans! ! sad

lmao at the bolded, even state Budgets. No be one church leader dem use airlift dollars to SA? lest i be lynched i reserve my comment on how people run business empires called churches in my country.

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by dennisworld1(m): 4:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
Acidosis:
Should Landlords and tenants pay Tax?
if landlord pay nah tenant go suffer am. U know
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by modath(f): 4:57pm On Jan 27, 2016
joborskill:

boycott their fraudulent gatherings and say your prayers at home. works for me

cheesy grin cheesy ... I do a couple of times worship with TV but I then feel like, na dat day wey a nor show fit be Angel's day to show.. grin

Irrational thought I know. but that is my quirk. smiley
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2016
this talk shouldn
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2016
If only they would be the highest tax payers in d land. Maybe it won't be wrong when we add that d position 4 General Overseer should be contested be means of election. The church is no more an assembly of mortals seeking divine connection 2 God bt a mere religious inspired hateful gathering. God forgive me if I be wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by teekay213(m): 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
if am the president,i tax them on land they use,i will tax them by the number of people in the building and tax them on offering and tithle they collect per person.they can call me antichrist i don't giv a shiit.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Enes22(m): 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
No no no, it will create another opportunity 4 the so called church n mosque leaders to collect more money 4rm this por tax payers that worships in their various centers! Plss I don't want a situation where u'll hear annoucement that brethren we need u 2 giv offering 2 offest our outstanding tax n I won't av it to. N begin 2 feel like a sinner. abeg no try dis one!
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by IBNgemini: 5:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
teekay213:
if am the president,i tax them on land they use,i will tax them by the number of people in the building and tax them on offering and tithle they collect per person.they can call me antichrist i don't giv a shiit.

u wicked oooo
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 27, 2016
Freemanan oya food don don.e.. come and pour down ur venom grin ... omo buhari should task those criminals ...

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by IBNgemini: 5:13pm On Jan 27, 2016
carinmom:

No its not about being a Yoruba muslim, mosques are not money making ventures like Churches. There is nothing like payment of tithes. Mosques are mainly built by good Samaritans for people to use for five daily prayers or jumu'at prayers without the person who owns the mosque gaining a dime from it. Sometimes they are built by communities for the sole purpose of observing their five daily prayers.

GBAM

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 27, 2016
this talk shouldnt be up for debate. like seriously! someone is saying its needed because of dwindling oil prices, alright. when a barrel of crude was 100 dollars abeg:
a)what did the nigerian govt do for the large majority of its citizens that are poor
b)when milk n honey was still flowing from crude oil, how many of u got unemployment allowances from the govt
c)the public health institutions are nothing to write home about
d)no good roads
e)poor power supply
f)fuel scarcity
g)poor security of lives n properties
h)poor financing of education and health care sectors
i)little to no investment in agriculture
j)there was even extensive labour strike in public educational institutions because the govt wasnt concerned about the welfare of the lecturers
k)mininum wage rate is 18k when our gvt is living lavishly n wasting money on unneceassary causes.

is it still this same govt u all are supporting to tax religious institutions so that they can continue to rob u all of ur dividends of democracy.
if they tax religious bodies u guys shoutin here wont get a dime, neither will ur roads b tarred, neither will u get constant power supply, neither will d public health care institutions become better, neither will minimum wage increase to about 30k.
so someone shuld please tell me why we shud give the govt an opportunity to tax religious bodies inorder to continue their lavish wasteful spending

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 27, 2016
Enes22:
No no no, it will create another opportunity 4 the so called church n mosque leaders to collect more money 4rm this por tax payers that worships in their various centers! Plss I don't want a situation where u'll hear annoucement that brethren we need u 2 giv offering 2 offest our outstanding tax n I won't av it to. N begin 2 feel like a sinner. abeg no try dis one!

Believe me, Religion is a ....... Freemanan complete d rest
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 27, 2016
The overwhelming support for taxing religious houses in Nigeria makes me believe there is still hope for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by niggi4life(m): 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2016
Naughtysite:
Today, churches own nursery, primary and secondary schools. They own universities, printing presses, publishing companies, record labels, guest houses and pivate jets.

If an N18,000 earning civil servant pays income tax, why wont such conglomerates pay tax ?

Income generating businesses should be taxed..
you have said it all!!!! Much Respect
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by niggi4life(m): 5:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
prettyboi1989:
this talk shouldnt be up for debate. like seriously! someone is saying its needed because of dwindling oil prices, alright. when a barrel of crude was 100 dollars abeg:
a)what did the nigerian govt do for the large majority of its citizens that are poor
b)when milk n honey was still flowing from crude oil, how many of u got unemployment allowances from the govt
d)no good roads
e)poor power supply
f)fuel scarcity
j)there was even extensive labour strike in public educational institutions because the govt wasnt concerned about the welfare of the lecturers
k)mininum wage rate is 18k when our gvt is living lavishly n wasting money on unneceassary causes.

is it still this same govt u all are supporting to tax religious institutions so that they can continue to rob u all of ur dividends of democracy.
if they tax religious bodies u guys shoutin here wont get a dime, neither will ur roads b tarred, neither will u get constant power supply, neither will d public health care institutions become better, neither will minimum wage increase to about 30k.
so someone shuld please tell me why we shud give the govt an opportunity to tax religious bodies inorder to continue their lavish wasteful spending
All you are spewing out here is nothing but trash!!!!
Make it known that the government you know 17 years ago is different from the one now. Now more also, what has the churches given back to the society even when thier income is flowing with milk and honey? U want to know? They are busy buying private jets and even their church members dash them private jets too(when e no be toy car?) Do u know how much a jet cost?
Abegi. I concur to the taxing of these religious bodies jor

4 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by piagetskinner(m): 5:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
Since churches have started establishing business empires outside their primary calling, I think it is only fair that they pay taxes
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Tycoflu(m): 5:53pm On Jan 27, 2016
prettyboi1989:
d)no good roads
e)poor power supply
f)fuel scarcity

Pastor Sir, na small portion of the monthly dough from offering govt won collect as tax. The remaining one is enough to be getting new jets for you yearly.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by cococandy(f): 5:55pm On Jan 27, 2016
[size=18pt]YES[/size]
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
They should be made to pay tax...Imagine members or congregation of a church can't afford to pay for tuition let alone attend schools they contributed their had earned money to build...9 out of every ten churches are owned by pastors who enrich themselves via gullible members...they should be given heavy fine or penalty like MTN each month they refuse to pay tax
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by jornie(m): 6:14pm On Jan 27, 2016
can I get a YESS!!!

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jan 27, 2016
Naughtysite:
Today, churches own nursery, primary and secondary schools. They own universities, printing presses, publishing companies, record labels, guest houses and pivate jets.

If an N18,000 earning civil servant pays income tax, why wont such conglomerates pay tax ?

Income generating businesses should be taxed..
Some even own football club.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by CioAngels(f): 6:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
Churches, YES, they make more money than banks and oil companies. Not the mushroom churches though(one room and shops).
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
niggi4life:
All you are spewing out here is nothing but trash!!!!
Make it known that the government you know 17 years ago is different from the one now. Now more also, what has the churches given back to the society even when thier income is flowing with milk and honey? U want to know? They are busy buying private jets and even their church members dash them private jets too(when e no be toy car?) Do u know how much a jet cost?
Abegi. I concur to the taxing of these religious bodies jor
d roads on d street leadn to ur house or ur friends house are they tarred? is there affordable healthcare?, ow far has d govt done in developing d educational sector?, still no constant power supply, theres still on n off fuel scarcity, but ur govt both past n present dont see it as a problem cos they used to travelling out of the country to get better health care, they av disel powered gens in their houses n offices for stable power, their kids go to the best schools. but what do u get as a citizen? nothing, rather u wana empower them the more to have funds in living lavisih lifestyles while the poor get nothing.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Misselocon(f): 6:42pm On Jan 27, 2016
Dat's understandable but a waste in a country where supervision isn't done in all sectors....d monies in ds country go somewhere....d refunded ones nko? customs nko? house of rep and senate self get d lions share...police kpakpa tk their own...efcc ain't left out...wat to do?
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by stainlex(m): 6:44pm On Jan 27, 2016
Religious bodies thrive on a messed up economy..That way, they're able to sell 'hope' of a better tomorrow to their congregation and further milk them dry. With functional and cheap efficient healthcare, who will the average joe run to? Hospital or Spiritual father? All na set up!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Homosexuality: One Of The Fastest Ways To Get To Hell Fire / What Is The Significance Of Lightning White Candle After Cross Over Service? / How To Understand John 5:19

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.