Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,313 members, 7,815,569 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? (15248 Views)

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / "Super Rich Churches That Do Business Must Pay Tax" – Sheikh Abdur-Rahman Ahmad / Will I Go To Hell For Not Paying Tax To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by seunajia: 6:54pm On Jan 27, 2016
carinmom:

No its not about being a Yoruba muslim, mosques are not money making ventures like Churches. There is nothing like payment of tithes. Mosques are mainly built by good Samaritans for people to use for five daily prayers or jumu'at prayers without the person who owns the mosque gaining a dime from it. Sometimes they are built by communities for the sole purpose of observing their five daily prayers.

Regardless, Mosques should pay taxes too. Mind you, it will be a % of their income. Say, 10%

It should be taken from the mosque's income from sadaqah, bitimoli etc

We must all begin to walk the talk.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 27, 2016
A very BIG YESSSSS!
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 27, 2016
niggi4life:
All you are spewing out here is nothing but trash!!!!
Make it known that the government you know 17 years ago is different from the one now. Now more also, what has the churches given back to the society even when thier income is flowing with milk and honey? U want to know? They are busy buying private jets and even their church members dash them private jets too(when e no be toy car?) Do u know how much a jet cost?
Abegi. I concur to the taxing of these religious bodies jor
its people lyk u dat will sit n b blaming the govt for their negligence of duty n blame them for corruption, inefficiency and slow growth of the economy. m sure ud av asked ursef y nigeria prefers to import pms rather than refine it locally. with all the money nigeria has, what meaningful thing have they done with it?
is it nt saraki that wants to spend about 300million abi na billion on suv(s). govt of change indeed. take alook at the budget, that of buhari is way higher than thak of gej during his tenure. look at the amount of money they are planning to spend for jst renovation of asorock alone. baba d change is an illussion
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by ooshinibos: 7:07pm On Jan 27, 2016
tuale4u:
They pay tax in europe
No tuale4, they don't pay tax in Europe , actually the Europe govt actually pays the churches but they must be registered as a charity organization ..
the only churches that pay tax are those that have set up themselves a limited company ..then they will pay tax if they declare profit or have employess that are paid salary which falls into the appropriate tax bracket .
I live in Europe sir , that's how i know :-)
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Cyriloha(m): 7:09pm On Jan 27, 2016
see question ?
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Angrymode: 7:14pm On Jan 27, 2016
Forget 50 naira stamp duty on every bank transaction and make all religious forms of worship pay tax. I swear, Buhari, you will generate so much to fund 3 national budgets in one year.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Onegai(f): 7:19pm On Jan 27, 2016
They should pay taxes. We all should. So that the next time we see any politicians living beyond heir means or awarding themselves fraudulent money, we will realise it is our sweat and blood they are using to enrich themselves (rather than some obscure oil money that came from one land most of you never went to) and stone them, their children, their friends, in fact they will constantly feel our anger over their lack of performance. Because it is now OUR PERSONAL MONEY THEY ARE TRYING TO STEAL.

Besides, if a church profits from a business, they should pay honourably or increase the. amount of their charitable deeds.

2 Likes

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by bizgai(m): 7:25pm On Jan 27, 2016
jamace:
YES! I say yes because these religions have lost their value.

Check that most of these looters of Nigeria treasury belong to one of these religions. Again, these looters went on pilgrimages to their holy lands during their period in office. Don't be surprised that some of the looters use the pilgrimage periods to hoard their loots abroad.

Religion has become a mere political tool, used to enhance the business of the political class, hence they should pay tax.
SECONDED
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by JackBizzle: 7:28pm On Jan 27, 2016
BlackOyinbo:
Nooooo. You can't tax them for the donations (offering ) people give because, those incomes have been taxed at the source.
However, if the pastor or any other church worker is on salary, he must pay Personal Income Tax. But since the church is not a company and is not supposed to be incorporated for profit making, it should not pay tax. But if the church has any business, that biz must pay tax.

Name one church not geared towards making profit make I bend like crayfish
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by bizgai(m): 7:31pm On Jan 27, 2016
I don't know what the government are waiting for o, church, mosque even Shrine should be made to pay biko. PMB, SARAKI, DOGARA do the needful kiakia
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 27, 2016
Fiwasayo:
Churches should,they sure do make a lot of money than mosques.
fiwasayo, do they work for the offeringpr and tithes? please think
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by bizgai(m): 7:36pm On Jan 27, 2016
JackBizzle:

Name one church not geared towards making profit make I bend like crayfish
All religions should be registered with CAC as charity organization like it's done in the UK then have their annual income check by got to ascertain tax quota
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by aishmuhd(f): 7:37pm On Jan 27, 2016
Besides God's will -purpose of church & mosque; pay yur tithes & give sadaka. Any other business frm chairs & hall renting, schools business etc MUST b TAXED. capital QED.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
the people paying tithes and offerings have paid their tax b4 dropping tithes and offering to dia churches nd mosques. taxing d church nd mosque wil b taxing the citizens twice! how can u tax God sev?.

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Yehman(m): 7:48pm On Jan 27, 2016
It's not about paying tax but, what are the benefits of tax payers from the govt? No light, no good road, no water...Don't actually know what's wrong with people of this nation

Churches will pay tax and still spend much more money in buying diesel
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
Goodboiyy:
Freemanan oya food don don.e.. come and pour down ur venom grin ... omo buhari should task those criminals ...

lemme hide before they call me blasphemy....
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 9:11pm On Jan 27, 2016
seunajia:

Regardless, Mosques should pay taxes too. Mind you, it will be a % of their income. Say, 10%

It should be taken from the mosque's income from sadaqah, bitimoli etc

We must all begin to walk the talk.
Well i won't argue with you but all the mosques in my neighbourhood and I'm sure many others do not have any source of income. The only times they receive is when there would be a kind of rehabilitation then they appeal to the public for the sadaqa. I know of a mosque that to replace a bulb or repair their loudspeaker, they have to appeal to the users of the mosques to get such.
So my brother where do you think the money to pay the tax will come from?
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 9:18pm On Jan 27, 2016
tombravo:
the people paying tithes and offerings have paid their tax b4 dropping tithes and offering to dia churches nd mosques. taxing d church nd mosque wil b taxing the citizens twice! how can u tax God sev?.
mind you, mosques have nothing to do with tithes.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Ghost01(m): 9:26pm On Jan 27, 2016
Sunnycliff:
It is double taxation to tax church offerings because the givers have paid their taxes. But you can tax the church investments like Schools, hospitals, Event centres and any other income generating venture owed by the religious organizations.

Will the government also tax babalawos
Going by your illogic, it is also double taxation to collect personal income taxes from salary earners seeing as their employers do pay corporate tax.

All religious bodies have to pay tax, registered commercial Babalawos inclusive.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Ghost01(m): 9:30pm On Jan 27, 2016
carinmom:

mind you, mosques have nothing to do with tithes.
How are they funded then?
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by jagojunior(m): 10:33pm On Jan 27, 2016
BlackOyinbo:
Nooooo. You can't tax them for the donations (offering ) people give because, those incomes have been taxed at the source.
However, if the pastor or any other church worker is on salary, he must pay Personal Income Tax. But since the church is not a company and is not supposed to be incorporated for profit making, it should not pay tax. But if the church has any business, that biz must pay tax.

They should be taxed right from offering. Citizens whose incomes have been taxed still pay tax on goods bought from the market, when they lodge in hotels, etc. I don't see anything wrong in taxing offering
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by edoziebobbyyahoocom(m): 10:42pm On Jan 27, 2016
their eyes don dey chook enta church pocket
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by SUPERPACK: 11:57pm On Jan 27, 2016
carinmom:

Well i won't argue with you but all the mosques in my neighbourhood and I'm sure many others do not have any source of income. The only times they receive is when there would be a kind of rehabilitation then they appeal to the public for the sadaqa. I know of a mosque that to replace a bulb or repair their loudspeaker, they have to appeal to the users of the mosques to get such.
well there is no fixed amount for tax. so if they earn #100 naira a year they will pay a tax of #5 to #10 naira. likewise if they earn #100,000 a year they will pay #5,000 to #10,000 as tax. so it is pay as you earn. if u dont earn u dont pay.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by femotechno(m): 12:51am On Jan 28, 2016
Edygrin:
They shouldn't forget to add shrines too.
So funny... grin
Edygrin:
They shouldn't forget to add shrines too.
So funny... Lolssssss
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 12:58am On Jan 28, 2016
No mosque in my area has a source of income. When a light bulb burns out someone just brings one from their home. Plumbing breaks , we just get together and fix it. The imam is poor leads a very simple life

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by NewYorkCity: 3:16am On Jan 28, 2016
No wahala. All village shrines must also pay tax too.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by seunajia: 5:23am On Jan 28, 2016
carinmom:

I acknowledge your point. While I have no reason at all to doubt you, I have rarely been at any mosque without a daily income.

I am sure we can have exemptions in the case of such poor mosques or churches as you have mentioned anyway. Sth akin to a Nisaab value in Zakat payment.

Look at the bigger picture, it means more people will become accountable for monies/resources they've received.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by BlackOyinbo: 6:28am On Jan 28, 2016
jagojunior:

They should be taxed right from offering. Citizens whose incomes have been taxed still pay tax on goods bought from the market, when they lodge in hotels, etc. I don't see anything wrong in taxing offering

It is the profit of businesses that are taxed. Not just the money the received. Offerings received is not profit but donation.

You need a course in accounting and tax.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 6:36am On Jan 28, 2016
carinmom:

mind you, mosquitoes have nothing to do with tithes.
oh yeah? dnt dy do offerings too. what do they call it. im nt here to argue 4 that sadistic religion. . . lemme be for the body of christ.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 6:43am On Jan 28, 2016
tombravo:
oh yeah? dnt dy do offerings too. what do they call it. im nt here to argue 4 that sadistic religion. . . lemme be for the body of christ.
Why did you modify my post I neither insulted your religion nor your church, but then I'm not surprise at your intolerance because that is what you people are good at undecided
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 6:46am On Jan 28, 2016
SUPERPACK:

well there is no fixed amount for tax. so if they earn #100 naira a year they will pay a tax of #5 to #10 naira. likewise if they earn #100,000 a year they will pay #5,000 to #10,000 as tax. so it is pay as you earn. if u dont earn u dont pay.

Lmao grin grin grin
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 6:49am On Jan 28, 2016
Ghost01:
How are they funded then?
Like i said if there is need for anything they appeal to wealthy individuals for any form of assistance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Homosexuality: One Of The Fastest Ways To Get To Hell Fire / What Is The Significance Of Lightning White Candle After Cross Over Service? / How To Understand John 5:19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.