Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? (15247 Views)

Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / "Super Rich Churches That Do Business Must Pay Tax" – Sheikh Abdur-Rahman Ahmad / Will I Go To Hell For Not Paying Tax To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 6:56am On Jan 28, 2016
hockeyoilers:
No mosque in my area has a source of income. When a light bulb burns out someone just brings one from their home. Plumbing breaks , we just get together and fix it. The imam is poor leads a very simple life
That's the reality with most mosques that i know. This is the point I've been making since which made people to be quoting me up and down. Thank God for you brother who understands how the situations of those mosques are.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 28, 2016
Freemanan:

lemme hide before they call me blasphemy....

Lolz .. i they feel u.. Nigerians don't ask question.. Am a Christian, but the way i dey see things.
hmmmm.. scam scam scam everywhere
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 28, 2016
I agree.

These churches aren't such anymore. They are now business entities turning over profits in billions.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by mindtricks: 10:58am On Jan 28, 2016
Our govts should take their corrupt eyes off the religious institutions as they are more or less charity organisations and not money making businesses as some choose to think. They should focus on taxing money/profit making businesses instead.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Ghost01(m): 11:16am On Jan 28, 2016
carinmom:

Like i said if there is need for anything they appeal to wealthy individuals for any form of assistance.
I hear you. But then again, from where comes the pay of the Imams and Alfas?
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 11:23am On Jan 28, 2016
Ghost01:
I hear you. But then again, from where comes the pay of the Imams and Alfas?
The Imams particularly those in khamsu salawatu mosques are not paid by the mosques. They lead prayers for the sake of Allah. Most of the wealthy imams and alfas do not feed from the mosque offerings in most cases, but many of them have other businesses and some are civil servants.

But pls don't get me wrong, what I'm saying is what i know is the situation in the north, i don't know for other places though.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Ghost01(m): 11:33am On Jan 28, 2016
carinmom:

The Imams particularly those in khamsu salawatu mosques are not paid by the mosques. They lead prayers for the sake of Allah. Most of the wealthy imams and alfas do not feed from the mosque offerings in most cases, but many of them have other businesses and some are civil servants.

But pls don't get me wrong, what I'm saying is what i know is the situation in the north, i don't know for other places though.
Ok. I was going to say I know one or two full-time Alfas/Mallams/Imams who have no side-business. Thanks for the elucidation though.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by carinmom(f): 12:58pm On Jan 28, 2016
Ghost01:
Ok. I was going to say I know one or two full-time Alfas/Mallams/Imams who have no side-business. Thanks for the elucidation though.
Its my pleasure wink

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by FrancisCAF: 1:50pm On Jan 28, 2016
Yes! Not only to boost the economy. It will reduce the rate of church crime in Naija. Some mushroom churches will be closed down. The atrocities that come from these men of appetite will stop. At least, before you run to open your business with your partner, friend or your family members in the name of church, you will think twice.
Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 28, 2016
Big difference between the church and mosque. Me thinks it's the church that would end up paying the lions share. The imam at the mosque near me does not even get paid. I don't understand how churches get so rich,

1 Like

Re: Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? by chakwa: 2:40pm On Jan 28, 2016
There are some real churches that are not business centres. They are just like orphanages where people contribute for the welfare of those working and leaving there. if taxing stats, the number of real churches like this, falls and that is obviously dangerous to the spiritual health of the country.
But if there are any businesses outside of real church activities (like universities etc), i believe they should be taxed. Most of the time, the ones that are involved in this church business issue end up being rich. the holy ones, find it hard to cope. If this taxing is added, these holy ones would just diffuse into the limelight. that is certainly not good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If God Gave You Same Blank Cheque As King Solomon, What Would You Fill? / Homosexuality: One Of The Fastest Ways To Get To Hell Fire / What Is The Significance Of Lightning White Candle After Cross Over Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.