Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Recommend Hair Products - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Recommend Hair Products (20517 Views)

Order For Your CANTU Hair Products / Pro 10 Hair Products / Are Hair Products Made Under-seas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 5:49am On Jun 29, 2009
@ MC

yea, TRESemmé products are really nice!

[img]http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/SallyBeauty/SBS-670510?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0[/img]

this a protein treatment, essential for damaged hair. not to be used too often, very good too

@ oyinda

dnt really know, i dont shampoo, i use spray conditioners which is better for me
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ oyinda

dnt really know, i dont shampoo, i use spray conditioners which is better for me
lol sissy, THEN WHAT DO YOU USE?
What's spray conditioner?

~Sissy~:

i usually leave mines no later than 3months for individuals only
however i do regular maintenance with it so it still look fresh after a month
i use the conditioner that i listed before, and i re-braid the loosen front ones/any other loosen ones
i went there by 7am and came back by 11pm, but i must admit ma head has so much hair on it
plus my stylist was heavily pregg, so she had to take regular breaks in-between which prolonged the whole thing.
i didnt mind her taking a break, just dat i hated ma hair for having too much hair,
sadly enough her baby died before she was born cry cry cry cry cry

last time i relaxed i used the mizani one n it's was a very good. what's the name of the one u used?

why r u scared of them?
ooohhh ok.

I'm scared that it might cause my hair to have split ends. The last coiling iron I used stiffed up my hair and burned my scalp cry cry grin

Sissy, all this products you're mentioning, are you sure it can be bought at WalMart or Walgreens? Cuz this summer I no get car on campus and I seriously don't feel like taking a 2hrs walk (again) just to get to the nearest store/mall.

Wetin be JOJOBA grin

oyinda.:

I have a question. how do you wash extension braids? it becomes messy and looks like i've had them for months when i wash and condition it. ne1 have tips on how to wash and condition without messing it up??
Same problem here.

Where's TOH? She's great with htis kinda topic
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Secretz(f): 11:47pm On Jun 29, 2009
Soft & Beautiful BOTANICALS line. . . .I swear by it. A lot of people compliment the thickness, length and texture of my hair. grin

Re: Recommend Hair Products by No2Atheism(m): 1:29am On Jun 30, 2009
thanks goodness am a male.

- Skin Head (like mohawkchic ) always - $0 to maintain.
- Personal Shaving Clipper to shave anything anywhere - been using it for the past 2 yrs  - $0 to maintain.

In short, I am spending little or nothing on my hair. Yet i dare not show my picsur to avoid causing some ladies here to faint  grin grin grin men its so good to be a man.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 1:32am On Jun 30, 2009
u use body lotion on ur hair? cheesy
I do too once in a while and it works like a charm. hair lotions are too expensive but i'll have to get some eventually.

yea ur lucky ur not a girl. a black girl at that tongue
Re: Recommend Hair Products by No2Atheism(m): 1:47am On Jun 30, 2009
oyinda.:

u use body lotion on ur hair? cheesy
I do too once in a while and it works like a charm. hair lotions are too expensive but i'll have to get some eventually.

yea ur lucky ur not a girl. a black girl at that tongue

Yep i do jare, most hair creams are too oily and messy for my liking. I only use hair creams wen its very cold and body lotions would not be good enough.

Moreover since i am mostly skinning my head, it means my use of lotions does not really affect my hair cus it means i am only focusing more on my scalp (which is just a skin situated on the top of my head).
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 7:28am On Jun 30, 2009
lol @ mostly skinning ur head. i see ur enjoying the winter over there to be skinning ur head
Re: Recommend Hair Products by No2Atheism(m): 7:45am On Jun 30, 2009
oyinda.:

lol @ mostly skinning ur head. i see ur enjoying the winter over there to be skinning ur head

Naa i don't send winter

i still skin my head cus its my biological computer and i feel more comfortable with a clean shaving head.

I also skin other areas too shocked , but i am not allowed to say cus my future wife would be annoyed.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 7:48am On Jun 30, 2009
oh wow. i hope u got an extra insulative hat. don't want ur precious brain to freeze

and yeah save the other areas for lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Recommend Hair Products by No2Atheism(m): 8:00am On Jun 30, 2009
oyinda.:

oh wow. i hope u got an extra insulative hat. don't want ur precious brain to freeze

and yeah save the other areas for lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Its werird but i hate hats or head warmer or something, i am a freak hence i always try to wear wat i am comfortable in.

For now my head has not yet frozen, grin grin
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 9:04am On Jun 30, 2009
well that's good u seem to have a higher tolerance for the cold than most ppl
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 3:33am On Jul 01, 2009
No2Atheism:

i am a freak
TMI lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Recommend Hair Products by informat09(m): 2:25pm On Jul 01, 2009
why don't we try good old honey, which is a natural hair conditioner and is inexpensive compared to expensive, dangerous hair solutions in the market

how to makeyour own honey conditioner

Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a microwave safe bowl. Olive oil is perfect for hair and skin care products, as it nourishes and cleans the hair at the same time. Unlike petroleum jelly, heavy oils and other synthetic conditioners, olive oil will easily rinse from your hair, leaving it moisturized and shining.

Add two tablespoons of all natural honey to the bowl. Honey is the main conditioner in your dry hair treatment, and not only smells great but has cleansing properties to gently rid the hair product build-up without stripping it of it's natural oils. Honey forms a protective layer on your hair, helping to prevent damage from products, styling and the elements.

Pour in one tablespoon of buttermilk. Buttermilk is also a moisturizing agent, and contains lactic acid, an element that will help build the strength and elasticity of your hair.Alternatively you can use lukewarm milk

Microwave the mixture for 30 to 60 seconds until hot. Stir in approximately one tablespoon of natural unbleached flour to make a paste. Apply the warm paste to wet hair and allow the conditioner to set for 20 minutes before washing as normal.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Witi(m): 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2009
Seun Osewa u need to be scrutinizing the front page posts on Nairaland the word RECCOMANDABLE is wrongly spelt, am not trying to condemn the post but feel that we should be sensitive on the use of correct phrases, words and sentence on Nairaland.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nezan(m): 3:43pm On Jul 01, 2009
OOOps!! na ladies thread? I don run comot grin
Re: Recommend Hair Products by adetunrayo(f): 6:37pm On Jul 01, 2009
@sissy
Pls, how do u use the hair straightner(1st pic) that was given 2 u as a gift? I'am planning 2 get one 4 my self.

Thanks
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 01, 2009
Witi:

Seun Osewa u need to be scrutinizing the front page posts on Nairaland the word RECCOMANDABLE is wrongly spelt, am not trying to condemn the post but feel that we should be sensitive on the use of correct phrases, words and sentence on Nairaland.
Thanks. Thread modified.
Unfortunately I'm unable to modify the other posts.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by chiogo(f): 12:09am On Jul 02, 2009
Well, I don't know if it's just me but I think one should try to use one product for hair - for example Organics product; if you're going to use it, you use the shampoo/conditioner, setting lotion, styling oil, relaxer, etc at the same time.  Using different products might alter the effects of each individual one.

I just started using the Dr. Miracle's kit, the relaxer is pretty good; I'm trying to get my hair to grow more since I took off my braids. I'll give it at least a month to see if Dr. Miracle is really the thing. If not, I'm switching to another product.  cheesy
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 3:18am On Jul 02, 2009
chiogo:

Well, I don't know if it's just me but I think one should try to use one product for hair - for example Organics product; if you're going to use it, you use the shampoo/conditioner, setting lotion, styling oil, relaxer, etc at the same time. Using different products might alter the effects of each individual one.

Very good advice.

Come and see my cabinet and see different products grin grin
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Tatase(f): 8:44am On Jul 02, 2009
~Sissy~:

[img]http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/SallyBeauty/SBS-670510?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0[/img]

this a protein treatment, essential for damaged hair. not to be used too often, very good too

I agree. Aphogee Reconstuctor is magic for hair breakage. It completely eliminates the hair coming off on the comb especially with relaxer and heat damage. You shouldn't use it more than once every 6 weeks so in between if I have problems with breakage I use Nexxus Emergencee which is a pricier but much lighter protein treatment and can be used a little more often. However for both Aphogee and Nexxus, you need a really good deep conditioner afterwards like Cholesterol or Hair Mayonnaise or those ORS Replenishing Pak or Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask . I like to add Honey and Olive or Coconut oil to these for deep conditioning and do a final rinse with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar.

Shampoo-wise, I like the Body Shop Honey Shampoo because it doesn't dry out hair as much as regular shampoo or when the buget is type I think Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo for Dry Brittle Hair is really good too. I wash my hair with shampoo probably about every 10 days when its not in braids but every 3-4 days I do a wash using only conditioner and I use Garnier Fructis Long & Strong Conditioner.

The best hair gel that I've ever used which I think is the kindest to hair in terms of not flaking or breaking your hair  off or freezing your hair in a solid block is Garnier Fructis Style Brilliantine Water-Based Shine Wax. I like it because its not sticky, you can apply it everyday and it combs through hair very easily and is also really good for braids.

I use Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breakage Strengthener as a a hair moisturizer followed by a little coconut oil or olive oil.

Relaxer-wise: In American hair salons I use Affirm Fibreguard at home/in naij I use Optimum Care Anti-Breakage Relaxer or if I can't find that I use the ORS Olive Oil Relaxer.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Shinatu: 10:31am On Jul 02, 2009
Ladies,

Can someone please recommend a relaxer for very coarse hair. I find it difficult to get a relaxer that can effectively relax it my hair and this often leads to breakage.

I have heard of  Mizani (not too sure of the name)but cannot find it around my present location in Nigeria, but if someone can testify of it's effectiveness (for my type of hair), I can get my sister to look for it in Lagos.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by oyinda3(f): 8:02pm On Jul 02, 2009
Shinatu:

Ladies,

Can someone please recommend a relaxer for very coarse hair. I find it difficult to get a relaxer that can effectively relax it my hair and this often leads to breakage.

I have heard of Mizani (not too sure of the name)but cannot find it around my present location in Nigeria, but if someone can testify of it's effectiveness (for my type of hair), I can get my sister to look for it in Lagos.

what brands have u been using so far? maybe it's ur technique
if u're having problems effectively relaxing your hair, pls go to the salon and get it professionally done. watch or ask them the steps and maybe do the same at home the next time.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by omonija1(f): 10:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
I use organix shampoo and conditioner. I love, love, love it!!

shampoo

Conditioner

For deep conditioning, I use this. Its actually on my hair right now and it makes my natural hair SUPER SOFT.

I'm also in love with Cantu Shea butter leave in conditional. It smells so good that i feel like eating it sometimes. lol.
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 02, 2009
omonija1:

I'm also in love with Cantu Shea butter leave in conditional. It smells so good that i feel like eating it sometimes. lol.

All their products smells good. So edible lol
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 1:57am On Jul 03, 2009
adetunrayo:

@Sissy
Pls, how do u use the hair straightner(1st pic) that was given 2 u as a gift? I'am planning 2 get one 4 my self.

Thanks

my steps:

what i use: comb, pins, spray, cream, mirror, and flat iron

Note: make sure you thoroughly dry your hair first: i air dry my hair instead using a blow dryer

1) i apply a styling cream to my hair

2) i coat my strands with a protective spray

3) i divide my hair into sections, like 2, 3 or 4 parts

4) i set the heat to suggested/desired level

5) i flat iron, closing the claps of the irion as much i can near the scalps and then down the hair length

6) i apply a finishing serum/spray, i just apply a little on my hand then just work it into my hair

and to maintain it, i wrap it every night with a scarp or a sock
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 2:02am On Jul 03, 2009
FL Gators:

lol sissy, THEN WHAT DO YOU USE?
What's spray conditioner?
ooohhh ok.

I'm scared that it might cause my hair to have split ends. The last coiling iron I used stiffed up my hair and burned my scalp cry cry grin

Sissy, all this products you're mentioning, are you sure it can be bought at WalMart or Walgreens? Cuz this summer I no get car on campus and I seriously don't feel like taking a 2hrs walk (again) just to get to the nearest store/mall.

Wetin be JOJOBA grin

i use the 5 in 1 conditioner i listed on the first page. yea, i think you can get most of the products at those stores but the morrocan oil will probably be online or some other stores not sure whether those stores carry it.

the jojoba oil is a very nice and moisturizing oil, its chemical components is very similar to our body's sebum. so it's a very good oil for hair and skin
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 2:04am On Jul 03, 2009
Shinatu:

Ladies,

I have heard of  Mizani (not too sure of the name)but cannot find it around my present location in Nigeria, but if someone can testify of it's effectiveness (for my type of hair), I can get my sister to look for it in Lagos.

try mizani in the coarse hair type, it's good. or you try affirm or designer essentials
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 2:11am On Jul 03, 2009
~Sissy~:

my steps:

what i use: comb, pins, spray, cream, mirror, and flat iron

Note: make sure you thoroughly dry your hair first: i air dry my hair instead using a blow dryer

1) i apply a styling cream to my hair
Which Styling cream? Name of product

2) i coat my strands with a protective spray
Name of protectie spray?

3) i divide my hair into sections, like 2, 3 or 4 parts

4) i set the heat to suggested/desired level
Heat of what? The blow drier or. . . .

5) i flat iron, closing the claps of the irion as much i can near the scalps and then down the hair length
Still scared of flat iron, but which flat iron company is more RELIABLE?

6) i apply a finishing serum/spray, i just apply a little on my hand then just work it into my hair
Name product of serun/ spray?

and to maintain it, i wrap it every night with a scarp or a sock

Nice steps. Do you advice blow drying? Does the heat damage the scalp or make the scalp drier?

Could you plz answer those questions? Lol, am trying to try new steps for my hair. Thanks
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 2:20am On Jul 03, 2009
Here are some advice I looke dup online for anyone looking for healthy hair wink

Step # 1 Assess the characteristics of your African American or Ethnic hair. You should look for a mild, moisturizing shampoo with a balanced pH value. The pH balance refers to the alkalinity or acidity of a particular product. A pH of 5 is near the Ph normal hair. A balanced pH value will help maintain the hair's natural acidity level while giving shine and manageability to African American or Ethnic Hair. However, African American or Ethnic individuals often need shampoos with a slightly higher pH, so less acidity reaches the scalp and robs it of moisture.

Step #2
: Make Quality Hair Care Product Purchasing Decisions. You get what you pay for, so try buying hair care shampoos, conditioners, and lotions that are natural. If not natural, look for shampoos that contain no sulfates, silicones, or glycols, because these are cheap foaming agents, hair coaters, and thickeners that strip Black hair and Ethnic hair of its natural oils

Step #3: Bring Your Magnify Glass and Look at the Ingredient Labels. Look for shampoos that contain the following ingredients: Aloe Vera (light hair moisturizer for all hair types), Rosemary (hair growth stimulant, pH balancer, removes build up), Jojoba (moisturizing oil closest to normal skin), Amla ( natural oil that acts as a hair conditioner), Lemon (acts as a clarifier, adds shine, and improves manageability). Beauty 4 Ashes GodHead and Ojon shampoos work particularly well on African American hair as well as wavy and curly haired individuals. GodHead in particular works well, because it is loaded with essential and natural oils that add shine and bounce, while loosening and separating curly textured hairs.

Step #4: Buy a Shampoo that You are Comfortable Washing with at least Once Time per Week
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 2:41am On Jul 03, 2009
@ Ebony

I am (currently) use the CHI Turbo Ceramic Flat Iron 2, and the CHI Thermal Protection Spray,and the CHI Silk Infusion with Cationic Hydration Interlink and sometimes CHI Shine Infusion.

i mean the heat/temperature of the flat iron, like medium, low, high etc

am liking this CHI but kinda expensive though. there are many good ones around. FHI Heat Runway is another awesome one, Hai, and Revlon has a good one too. i think it all depends on your budget. but whatever one you decide make sure it's ceramic not metal.

i dont blow dry, i let my hair air dry naturally. blow drying is kinda bad for the hair especially when you constantly do it
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 03, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ Ebony

I am (currently) use the CHI Turbo Ceramic Flat Iron 2, and the CHI Thermal Protection Spray,and the CHI Silk Infusion with Cationic Hydration Interlink and sometimes CHI Shine Infusion.

i mean the heat/temperature of the flat iron, like medium, low, high etc

am liking this CHI but kinda expensive though. there are many good ones around. FHI Heat Runway is another awesome one, Hai, and Revlon has a good one too. i think it all depends on your budget. but whatever one you decide make sure it's ceramic not metal.

i dont blow dry, i let my hair air dry naturally. blow drying is kinda bad for the hair especially when you constantly do it
I've always blow dried my hair. *bites side lips* embarassed embarassed

Yea, I've seen the Revlon commercial. It's really good, but I don't trust everything I see on TV lol.

My hair CANNOT dry nautrally. If I leave it undried after conditioning, it gets puffy, very puffy like an afro. ugh grin
Re: Recommend Hair Products by Sissy3(f): 3:05am On Jul 03, 2009
FL Gators:

I've always blow dried my hair. *bites side lips* embarassed embarassed

Yea, I've seen the Revlon commercial. It's really good, but I odn't trust everything I see on TV lol.

My hair CANNOT dry nautrally. If I leave it undried after conditioning, it gets puffy, very puffy like an afro. ugh grin

if it cant dry naturally then just do like half of it blow dry and let the little ones air dry or vice versa. or if you're going to be BD then set the heat/temp on medium and not on high heat. or not constantly doing it. i usually wrap a towel to help with the puffy puffy lol. dont rub wet hair or you get split ends. i wrap mines with a soft towel after some minutes, i unwrap it then apply a leave in conditioner, or serum.  detangle, and comb/style.

of course air drying isnt always the most convenient, but just keep the use on the low IMO 

relvon is good, just got to do the good ol' try n error.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Lace Skirt And Blouse Ankara Styles / Toolz Outfit To DKM Concert - Hot Or Not? / What Are Hair Attachments Made From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.