Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,729 members, 7,831,326 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:05 PM

We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere (706 Views)

Atiku: Igbos Rebuilt Their Region After The War But North Still Has Mud Houses / Why I Won’t Support Buhari’s War Against Corruption – Wike / Beneficiaries Of Promised N5000 Stipends Will Be Selective- PMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by idrisa334: 1:24am On Jan 27, 2016
THE Pan Yoruba Socio- Political Group, Afenifere Tuesday asked President Muhammadu Buhari not to make Anti-Corruption crusade as its only agenda but face frontally the nation’s crippling economy.

It also kicked against ‎the plan to finance the 2016 budget through excessive borrowing from international financial institutions.
Rising from its monthly meeting held at the Akure, Ondo state country home of its leader. Pa Reuben Fasoranti, the group kicked against the sensationalising of corruption by government

The groups spokesperson, Yinka Odumakin in a Communique issued and read to newsmen said “We were embarrassed and scandalized by the processes that characterized the presentation of 2016 budget which is unprecedented in the history of our country.

“That a budget will be presented, declared missing without knowing another one will surface and then President will now writes on the matter.

“If they were mistakes in the ealier budget presented, government should have come out clean and said sorry, we make mistakes and we want to correct the errors. We encourage the federal that this should not happen again in our country, it is embarrassing and scandalous.

“But more importantly, having gone through the whole budget presented, we have seen many headings in that budget which suggest that either we are not aware of the situation we are as a country or we are doing more of what brought us to where we are.

“They are scandalous expenditure in that budget which cannot be justified which are not rationale and which nobody should think is what we need as this moment.

“‎For instance we are in court prosecuting a fomer NSA, that he was alleged to have disbursed so much money. Now, in this current budget, after we have giving money to all security agencies, we still voted N50billion to the office of NSA.

“We have N3.9billion to buy cars for the Presidency, N800million for President Gym.

“They voted about N300million to lay cables to drivers rooms and we don’t know what that means in the government. Renovation of villas and the former president renovated the villas.

“Today the cost of producing a barrel of oil is $5 more than what is being sold in the market. So how are we going to continue to spend on this frivolities?
“We therefore call on national assembly to properly scrutinise every budget line and ensure that we have a budget that shows that we appreciate where we are as country and we are doing proper things in way to bring prudence into the system.

“We have noticed that in trying to solve the problem occasioned by the dwindling revenue, the federal government is introducing certain measures.

“One, we have noticed the increase in Kerosene price, Which can only increase the hardship of poor people of Nigeria, two we have noticed the imposition of N50 stamp duty on every bank deposit.

” We consider this an anomaly. That a central bank that should encourage banking culture in the country is trying to discourage banking culture.

“The excessive borrowing that is going to characterized the 2016 budget which are unhealthy. And for how long are we going to borrow?

“All these measures to us, are cleared that the federal government wants to run aways from solving out problems today which is to diversify the economy, by diversifying the economy is not possible without restructuring the country.

“We are saying and insisting that to get out of this economy crisis that this nation will not finally crumble, the federal government should immediately consider the restructuring of this country along the recommendation of 2014 national conference.

“The last government organised the conference and said they are going to implement the report, since government is a continum, the present government should immediately implement it so that we can create the new corridor of prosperity that will take Nigeria out of the current crisis we are facing.

‎Odumakin said that “Afenifere supports the review of anti-corruption war going on in the country. We support the war, because corruption is evil but we quickly warned that our war against corruption should not be selective, sectional and should be all embracing and compassing.

“It should be fought within the confines of rules of law. And the anti-corruption war should not be the only agenda of the government. They should concentrate on rebuilding the economy because we have seen countries that have been ravage by war, Liberia, Serria-Lonne, people took over government there and they started rebuilding the economy.

“So we should not turn anti-corruption to the only agenda. Building the economy is important.

“The naira is collapsing. Every sector is going down. Investors are leaving our country.

“This should attract the attention of the government but not to continue to sectionalise anti-corruption war because ultimately, our experience have shown that anti-corruption takes a long time to win the war.

“The last legacy is thing that are being put on ground that is the solid foundation that lay for the economy, while the agencies that are supposed to fight corruption are fighting it.

” Let EFCC, ICPC do their work. The duty of the Presidency is to rebuild the economy and not just the anti-corruption war.

The group ‎however congratulate the new Ooni Ife Oba Enitan Ogunwusi and commended the step he has. Taken in uniting traditional rulers in Yorubaland.

The group also ” commiserate with the people of Ibadan on the passing away of Olu!adan of Ibadan.Oba Odugade Odulana and prayed that God should give the people of the town. the fortitude to bear the lost.

SOURCE: http://nigerianewsonline.com.ng/we-support-buharis-anti-corruption-war-but-it-should-not-be-selective-afenifere/
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by Ryda(m): 1:34am On Jan 27, 2016
Wailers feel free to blame buhari.. It your hubby
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by DeRoyalFranco(m): 1:55am On Jan 27, 2016
Making sense....
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by jbbaba(m): 2:01am On Jan 27, 2016
ALL UNTO GOD
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by chriskosherbal(m): 2:03am On Jan 27, 2016
True talk
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by TimeManager(m): 4:19am On Jan 27, 2016
One of the basics that informs the ideology of Afenifere that i know of, was to free nigeria of corruption, so much so that the conviction of Bode George was applauded among the rank & file of Afenifere. Admittedly so, Afenifere is factionalised,but must its founding philosophy be thrown to the wind? While one section throws its weight behind the fight against corruption, the other surreptitiously expressing disbelief. How else can you imagine an Odumakin decrying the fight as being sectional & selective? As if more northerners are not in the efcc's net. I stumbled on a thread days ago whereon the likes of arresa, modath, gists, pauljohn1 & some others were gushing about the emphemeral appurtenances in the SW at the expense of the eroding value of our core yorubaness. Nothing is worth celebrating at the detriment of the legacies of our founding fathers. Pls, no one should tell me that afenifere are not our leaders because they have always been.
The truth has spoken!
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by Pheals(f): 4:59am On Jan 27, 2016
Corruption budget as the country suffers
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by sandraokosun: 5:31am On Jan 27, 2016
i never expected ur group to see it as unselective when u and opc were beneficial appendages of pdp and last adminstration who are causualties
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by modath(f): 6:13am On Jan 27, 2016
TimeManager:
One of the basics that informs the ideology of Afenifere that i know of, was to free nigeria of corruption, so much so that the conviction of Bode George was applauded among the rank & file of Afenifere. Admittedly so, Afenifere is factionalised,but must its founding philosophy be thrown to the wind? While one section throws its weight behind the fight against corruption, the other surreptitiously expressing disbelief. How else can you imagine an Odumakin decrying the fight as being sectional & selective? As if more northerners are not in the efcc's net. I stumbled on a thread days ago whereon the likes of arresa, mo,gists, pauljohn1 & some others were gushing about the emphemeral appurtenances in the SW at the expense of the eroding value of our core yorubaness. Nothing is worth celebrating at the detriment of the legacies of our founding fathers. Pls, no one should tell me that afenifere are not our leaders because they have always been.
The truth has spoken!

First thing first, direct me to the post that you misunderstood to arrive at your completely erroneous assertion....

Also, don't lump me as "likes" next time, especially when the discuss is about hungry opportunists posing as true democrats or lover their people!! sad

& Afenifere died with Pa Abraham Adesanya , you are free to claim Afenifebi, Afenife-ifun-won-nikan as your leaders, these present crop are not mine...

Good morning, & thank you...

N.B
I initially added links to credible news sites, where your "leaders" were swearing fire that they didn't receive a kobo & only supported hero purely on ideological stands but i deleted them...

Jump to another conclusion or do that by yourself...

1 Like

Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by mafiamanager(m): 6:23am On Jan 27, 2016
gerraraherre men, has he been selective in his anti corruption war Oh u want him to start probing tinubu, amaechi, fashola and co the peopl who brought him to power, he can only do that when he has our support as citizens 100percent.
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by Nebuchadnezar: 6:28am On Jan 27, 2016
that's what everyone wants.

no body loves corruption but the fight should be transparent and no sacred cow.

modath shey you dey hear me.

the king has spoken

king nebuchadnezar
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by johnmartus(m): 7:03am On Jan 27, 2016
who is talking?
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by ogasnow: 7:39am On Jan 27, 2016
If the current version of Afenifere (Afenifere 2016) could take a minute and remove their heads from up Olusegun Mimiko's behind, then maybe they could become more attuned to the current yearnings of the people they claim to lead. As a result, I will be taking whatever they say with a pinch of salt.

In the meanwhile, it may be honourable if they could at least return some of the money they collected from former President Jonathan and the PDP. Apart from not delivering the promised southwest votes, we have now found out that the money belonged neither to GEJ nor the PDP but removed from the public till, budgeted for the purchase of arms for our gallant soldiers fighting criminals in the north and then diverted.
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by yemmight(m): 10:17am On Jan 27, 2016
Afenifere is not relevant. Nobody is taking them serious.
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by TimeManager(m): 10:20am On Jan 27, 2016
Oluwa mo, you could go the way of taking it personal & blow it out like it's hot, ain't taking back my word. My reference was on a certain thread"Rennaissance of SW" by arresa. There is no denying that our core values are fast eroding. Political colouration & self interests are claws tearing apart the apron of our leadership & generating a modicum of distrusts. These lows must not be allowed to distort the spirit & letter of awoism & the vision of Pa Adesanya.. That Afenifere died with papa is a mere misrepresentation of stark reality. Our ideology& element of indivisibility will never die with anybody. I challenge you to dispute, if there are any,other than these same set of people who put on their caps & beat myetti allah to shape over their atrosities,prompting their leaders to come down to Ibadan.Also curtailing the excesses of some igbo leadership in the region. The same people who stung FG into action over the kidnap of Olufalae. Afenifere is never dead.
The truth has spoken!
Re: We Support Buhari’s Anti-corruption War But It Should Not Be Selective—afenifere by Dakad: 10:31am On Jan 27, 2016
Honestly, I'm not a fan of this phrase of ANTI-CORRUPTION WAR should not be SELECTIVE
Buhari led federal government will focus on past federal government corruption cases and they're mainly PDP. So any move he makes to fight corruption for now will look selective but to me it's not. We should all support him to ensure that this cancer is dealt with

(1) (Reply)

Buhari, Osinbajo To Attend Bello Inauguration In Kogi. Without Deputy! / Niger State At 40: The Journey So Far / President Buhari Receives Special Envoy Of Equatorial Guinea(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.