Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers (44700 Views)

“Don’t Come With Charms”, Oil Company Says In Job Test Invite. / How I Failed The Fidelity Bank Job Test / She Was Asked To Masturbate In Exchange For An Interview Invite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Shinelle(f): 11:24pm On Jan 27, 2016
Seelurd:

Shinelle. for question 3 You just nailed it. U are very wise and smart. Most people just read question without understanding wat it says. Thats why some fail exams after bragging how sweet the exam was. Wanted to paste the analysis but you just told them the in simple word. Kudos to u. More blood to ur brain. wink

but question2 might b wrong,incomplete or ur answer cud be wrong.

check this.

The question never stated if the machines are running simultaneously. But if we check the question well using the example stated as

10 machines=10 minutes=10 doughnut, we can deduce that the machines are not working simultaneously cos if they do, the ratio will be 10 machines = 1 minute= 10 doughnut.

But one oda thing is that we don't know how long it can take a machine to produce one doughnut
hence we assume

1) if the machines are working simultaneously and the efficiency is set to 1 machines =1 minute =1 doughnut the ratio
can be 10 machines=1 minutes=10 doughnut

2) if the machines are working simultaneously and the efficiency is set to 1 machines =10 minute =1 doughnut the ratio
can be 10 machines=10 minutes=10 doughnut

3) if the machines are not working simultaneously and the efficiency is set to 1 machines =1 minute =1 doughnut the ratio
can be 10 machines=10 minutes=10 doughnut

4) if the machines are not working simultaneously and the efficiency is set to 1 machines =10 minute =1 doughnut the ratio
can be 10 machines=100 minutes=10 doughnut

from analysis above we can say that 2 and 3 are likely to be the case.Hence we will use those one to calculate the missing TIME.

5) if the machines are working simultaneously and the efficiency is set to 1 machines =10 minute =1 doughnut the ratio
can be 100 machines=10 minutes=100 doughnut

6) if the machines are not working simultaneously and the efficiency is set to 1 machines =1 minute =1 doughnut the ratio
can be 100 machines=100 minutes=100 doughnut

CONCLUSION

THE COMPANIES KNOWS BEST. BUT ONE THING FOR SURE IS THAT THE QUESTION NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED AND IF NOT , I WILL GO WITH MY ASSUMPTION 5 AND 6

wow... long but detailed analysis.
my view though, I want to believe in word problems like the machine question, it is usually assumed that they work simultaneously as the efficiency of the machines are not mutually exclusive.

eg... questions like if it takes 5 men 5 days to dig 5 wells..
I would assume that each man had a well to dig.. so the focus would be on the time it took each man to dig his which is 5 days irrespective of his mate .

same reason why I believe each machine took 10mins to produce it's own doughnut. ie after the stop watch hit 10 mins... 10 doughnuts were available ):

I love brain teasers though, this kinda made my evening!
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Akious2k2(m): 11:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
Olafisoyem:

Your equation 2 should be:
G=100*C
D question says 100 times more than & not just 100 times
Seelurd:

If u are a teachers, i pity ur student. Olodo.first interprete wat is meant by 100 times. Then u will pass. Just imagine if someone tells u am better dan u times 100. Dos dat mean u shud add 100 to ursef. It simply mean multiply ursef in 100 folds. Go meet any kindergaten pupil nd get ursef tutored up. grin
D question says 100 times more than & not just 100 times... read & understand
whiz10:
must you embarrass your self in public? smh
Educated Olodo...
D question says 100 times more than & not just 100 times... Didn't u do comprehension in Primary school? Read & understand b/4 u coming here 2 disgrace urself
Rhemmymatician:

Wow!? 1st question: who touched you as a child? Or were you dropped on the head as a baby? Why are you so silly, crass, dumb, and plain immature, because I'm not sure what you are playing at. Did you just do the above for likes or lols. You should see a shrink, you can't have the mentality of a 3 year old retarded child forever.
*sigh* smiley
Secondly: your English is awful. Work on it.
Thirdly: perhaps I omitted the 'times' in front of the 100 mentally, a honest oversight. With that, my answer checks out and i'm good, BUT what baffles me is that I didn't see you give it a shot and yet you are slating someone that did. Haba!
Bros... ur answer is fully in order just like mine... Great minds, they say, think alike

1 Like

Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by chronique(m): 11:46pm On Jan 27, 2016
I was about pointing it out. These are the little mistakes students make in exams and end up failing woefully. In mathematics,it's always good to work back your calculations to be sure your answers are correct.
LastMumu:
How is that smart analysis? If 12 eggs cost N5,how can 1 cost N2.4?
What he should have done was divide 5 by 12, hereby getting 42k per egg.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by sayitright: 11:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
Capital247:
12eggs = 5naira
1egg =12/5 = 2.4naira
he sales at 3naira, he makes profit of 60kobo per egg
if he sales 20ggs in day, =20* 3naira =N60 per day making a profit of 20*60kobo =12naira per day

He has 12 eggs and his selling 20 eggs daily? how can that be possible please?
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by sayitright: 11:51pm On Jan 27, 2016
LastMumu:
Question 1
Equation 1 is G + C =110
Equation 2 is G = 100C

If G + C =110

and G = 100C

Therefore, 100C + C =110

101C =110

C = 1.09

The cup costs N1.09k

Question 2 is 10 minutes (This question easy die, even me wey be mumu sef know am grin)

Question 3: it is impossible for him to be a millionaire.

u have been scamed
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by unilagsforum(m): 12:41am On Jan 28, 2016
10 MOST DIFFICULT INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ANSWERED
http://softflier.com/10-most-difficult-interview-questions-answered/
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by olayinkaayinde(m): 12:50am On Jan 28, 2016
[quote author=Hkana post=42377384]Q1 the cup costs 1.08naira (approximately)

Q2 ten minutes

Q3. Tricky though but here goes:
A dozen eggs cost 5naira, that means each egg costs 5/12 = 0.42naira
He sells each egg for 3naira means he makes an approximate profit of 2.58naira per egg

Daily profit from a sale of 20 eggs = 20 * 2.58 = 51.6naira.
A year's profit therefore = 51.6 * 365 = 18,834naira

Now 1naira = 100kobo
Therefore 18,834naira = 1,883,400kobo

Final answer, it is possible for the man to be a millionaire only when the currency is in kobo and not naira.

Cc opeaceo and gendebs [/quote
Millionaire not millionkobo
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by An0nimus: 12:55am On Jan 28, 2016
opeaceo:
1. the cost of a cup is 1.1 unit
2. 10 minutes
3. I don't think it is possible.
Smarty smiley
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Mindependent(f): 1:40am On Jan 28, 2016
odimbannamdi:
So i was invited to a job aptitude test in Surulere 2days ago. 3 questions caught my attention. Even though i was quite sure of the answers i provided, i still want to ask guys here for their perusal on them

Here they are:

1. A glove and cup both cost 110naira. The cost of the glove is 100times more than that of the cup. How much is the cup?

2. If it takes 10 machines 10minutes to make 10doughnuts, how long will it take 100machines to make 100doughnuts?

3. A man wants to venture into business so he buys a dozen eggs for 5naira and sells them for 3naira. From his calculation, if he sells 20eggs daily, in 1year he will be a millionaire. And his calculation is correct. How is that possible?

Firstly, I'll ask you this. How long were you given to answer these questions? If it was a relatively short period of time as opposed to an assessment type interview with pen and paper then I believe these questions are based on pure logic.

1. The cup costs 110naira, this was already stated in the first sentence, ability to retain info. The second part is just to throw one off a bit, to those saying 1.1 unit, I disagree because the cup needs to have monetary value and unit just doesn't count.

2.Still gonna take 10 minutes, still the same machines working and their timing is not gonna change as they are only functioned to make anything for 10 minutes so even if you had 1mill of them, still gonna take 10minutes as long as the number of doughnuts and machines are proportionally equal in all contexts.

3.It is possible because in this context, there are more than 365days in his year. Shikena grin

My opinion smiley wink
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by JesusDWay(m): 2:03am On Jan 28, 2016
Mindependent:

Firstly, I'll ask you this. How long were you given to answer these questions? If it was a relatively short period of time as opposed to an assessment type interview with pen and paper then I believe these questions are based on pure logic.

1. The cup costs 110naira, this was already stated in the first sentence, ability to retain info. The second part is just to throw one off a bit, to those saying 1.1 unit, I disagree because the cup needs to have monetary value and unit just doesn't count.

2.Still gonna take 10 minutes, still the same machines working and their timing is not gonna change as they are only functioned to make anything for 10 minutes so even if you had 1mill of them, still gonna take 10minutes as long as the number of doughnuts and machines are proportionally equal in all contexts.

3.It is possible because in this context, there are more than 365days in his year. Shikena grin

My opinion smiley wink

Of all answers I've read, you are closest. What folks may not realize is that questions like these are testing your verbal reasoning and not mathematical skills, that's the first thing to know.

1.) It's basic English, they just want to throw you off balance by the statement that the glove is 100times the cost the cup. The statement says they are both N110 which simply means the cost of each of them is N110.

2.) The machines are working independently of each other and as such, they produced one doughnut each at the given time which invariably means the given time is also what it will take for the 100 machines and that is 10minutes.

3) This one took me time to figure out. The answer is that it is only possible by 'his calculation' and not anybody's so, doing mathematical calculations for how he will become a millionaire is a waste of your time. Come to think of it, the category of monetary riches that can make one a millionaire is a very broad range and we are not given any hint that the man wants to be a millionaire in tens or in hundreds. Therefore, only him knows the amount he's targeting to make as profit in millions which makes any calculation aside his own a waste of time

2 Likes

Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by mozele(m): 2:41am On Jan 28, 2016
opeaceo:

2. 10 minutes

you were too fast in answering the question.
the second questions is supposed to be 100minutes
as well, which is equivalent to 1hour 40minutes.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by eyennyin: 3:50am On Jan 28, 2016
1. 1.09 naira approx
2. 1 min
3. Impossible in naira but possible in Kobo denomination. (but question not well asked in English Is it 3 naira each egg or 3 naira for the dozen?) I assume though it's the former.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by macminista(m): 3:57am On Jan 28, 2016
Na by matematics? Make go ask sojimoto weda Im solve mats to become millionaire ,metchwww angry embarassed kiss
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Kazrem(m): 3:58am On Jan 28, 2016
opeaceo:

2. 10 minutes

N1:1k not unit.
You brilliant though
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by edjeodiri(m): 4:20am On Jan 28, 2016
gassdon:
Is like you applied as Mathematics Teacher!

Ok. My answer.

Dear employer,

This is not the solution to your company problem(s).

Lol
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Cwhyte(m): 6:30am On Jan 28, 2016
Capital247:
12eggs = 5naira
1egg =12/5 = 2.4naira
he sales at 3naira, he makes profit of 60kobo per egg
if he sales 20ggs in day, =20* 3naira =N60 per day making a profit of 20*60kobo =12naira per day

Oga go back to school o.
If 12 eggs is N5
How can 1 egg be N2.4?

What you should do is 5/12
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by DavidEsq(m): 6:34am On Jan 28, 2016
LastMumu:
Question 1
Equation 1 is G + C =110
Equation 2 is G = 100C

If G + C =110

and G = 100C

Therefore, 100C + C =110

101C =110

C = 1.09

The cup costs N1.09k

Question 2 is 10 minutes (This question easy die, even me wey be mumu sef know am grin)

*weeps* Oh God! hefrybodi is making an effort, and my brain is not even booting sef. I'm so done. @Opeaco. sori for the times I haf yab u on NL. @lastmumu. Pls cld u be my son's private teacher?
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by DavidEsq(m): 6:46am On Jan 28, 2016
Ishilove:
cheesy
I don't know the answer. #hatemaths
I still marvel at how I managed to pass maths in WAEC grin
Even me sef, I only got *looks to the left and right* a D.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Cutehector(m): 7:04am On Jan 28, 2016
yorex2011:

Hafa grin
He cud have bought eggs that he cud hatch to layers which could lay eggs for him after some months of them maturing... Then he cud profit from the continuous laying of eggs
His first set of eggs can be sold and a new set of layer eggs can be bought which ahud take another 4-5 months tobhe able to produce...
It's possible to be a millionair if he follows this trend
Lol I laffed so hard wen a nairalander commented dis. He was like, "he will tell d company, so how will this solve d company"s problem...
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 28, 2016
Answers:
1. = 1.089naira
2. = 10minutes
3. = Bankruptcy because can't buy @5naira and sell @3naira beakeven talkless of millionaire, he will poornaire if there is word like that.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Isaac060(m): 7:34am On Jan 28, 2016
opeaceo:
2. 10 minutes
correct! you sabi book
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Dexema(m): 7:47am On Jan 28, 2016
gassdon:
Is like you applied as Mathematics Teacher!

Ok. My answer.

Dear employer,

This is not the solution to your company problem(s).

Hahahaha! what an epic reply.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by whiz10(m): 7:59am On Jan 28, 2016
Akious2k2:

Educated Olodo...
D question says 100 times more than & not just 100 times... Didn't u do comprehension in Primary school? Read & understand b/4 u coming here 2 disgrace urself
ah! A word is enough for the wise. helping is now a crime. when your 1kb ram processes the question, you 'll gonna understand who is supposed to be in primary school.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by tlanry: 8:03am On Jan 28, 2016
Hkana:
Q1 the cup costs 1.08naira (approximately)

Q2 ten minutes

He sells each egg for 3naira means he makes an approximate profit of 2.58naira per egg

Now 1naira = 100kobo

Final answer, it is possible for the man to be a millionaire only when the currency is in kobo and not naira.

Cc opeaceo and gendebs

It's millioNAIRE not millioKOBO
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Nobody: 8:18am On Jan 28, 2016
D price of a glove and cup together z 110 Naira and d cost of d glove is ten times dat of d cup. Dat means d cup is 10 Naira. 10 * 10= 100.

If it takes 10 machine 10mins to make 10 doughnut, dat means it takes 1 machine a min to make 1 doughnut. There twil take 100 machine just 1 min to make 100 doughnuts too
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by base83: 8:44am On Jan 28, 2016
for number 1, the question say 100 times more than that of the cup; i believe that is different from 100 times the price of the cup . Given that the equation should be:
G + C = 110 ----------------1
G= 100 + C -----------------2
THEREFORE; putting 2 into 1
100+C+C=110
2C=110-110
C=10/2=5, G=105
that is the only time when G is 100 times more than the price of C
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by AlexCk: 8:59am On Jan 28, 2016
numbers1 n 2 are quite simple,
number 3 is kinda weird, why are people saying he's making profit, let's see,
he buys something from..... lets say a wholesale shop for #5, n sells it as a retailer for #3. n he does that daily, buying from n selling to at d same price, sooo where is the profit he is having. abi profit no b selling minus cost price.
or maybe he buys a dozen eggs for #5 n sells each eggs for #3, meaning a dozen he sold, will b #36, then profit go surely dey. Therefore if its the latter, he will mk profit n get his millions in kobo(after his annual deduction of what he buys and sells tho). cheesy.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Affegott(m): 9:08am On Jan 28, 2016
LastMumu:
Question 1
Equation 1 is G + C =110
Equation 2 is G = 100C

If G + C =110

and G = 100C

Therefore, 100C + C =110

101C =110

C = 1.09

The cup costs N1.09k

I like your analysis for question 1, but I disagree a lil with you eqn 2. It should be G=100C + C, or 101C.
If G is 100times greater than C, G - C should equals 100 G. Your eqn 2 will yield 99C.

Note again, the question says: 100times GREATER THAN; and not 100times of...
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by yusasiv(m): 9:13am On Jan 28, 2016
odimbannamdi:
So i was invited to a job aptitude test in Surulere 2days ago. 3 questions caught my attention. Even though i was quite sure of the answers i provided, i still want to ask guys here for their perusal on them

Here they are:

1. A glove and cup both cost 110naira. The cost of the glove is 100times more than that of the cup. How much is the cup?

2. If it takes 10 machines 10minutes to make 10doughnuts, how long will it take 100machines to make 100doughnuts?

3. A man wants to venture into business so he buys a dozen eggs for 5naira and sells them for 3naira. From his calculation, if he sells 20eggs daily, in 1year he will be a millionaire. And his calculation is correct. How is that possible?

3.wake him from his sleep
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Affegott(m): 9:14am On Jan 28, 2016
tlanry:

It's millioNAIRE not millioKOBO

Millionaire doesn't mean million naira.... Gate is not a 'billiondollaire' for example but billionaire in dollars.
Re: 3 Brain Teasing Job Test Questions I Was Asked. Please drop your answers by Affegott(m): 9:16am On Jan 28, 2016
Hkana:
Q1 the cup costs 1.08naira (approximately)

Q2 ten minutes

Now 1naira = 100kobo

Cc opeaceo and gendebs

Spot on.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Recruitment 2015 / BECO Logistic / Apply For Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) Graduate Trainees Programme 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.