Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,724 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. (12834 Views)

Is It Good To Monitor My Social Media Life Before You Hire Me? / Are You Jobless? Post What You Can Do, Add Skills And Qualifications. / The Attitude Of Friends When You Are Jobless. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by don4real18(m): 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2016
O
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by tanteta(m): 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2016
This is really an eye openner..... Never though of the social media this way....but have always been mindful of the media from the on set..... Thanks op , nice one. Once image in public domain is a serious concern shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 3:31pm On Feb 19, 2016
joseph1832:
You're wrong. I doesn't take one who wants to know about you anything to know about you here.

We leave traces of ourself online whether we know this or not, I for one can bear testament to this.
Joseph say what!!!!?
I don't mind being traced cos I don't do bad online... lol. Seriously, NL is not like Facebook. If anyone decides to hide his/her identity, the fellow can do that 100% without leaving any trace. It's possible on NL, most of my friends don't know I'm on NL but I've stumbled on their monikers here. Through their pictures and their choice of moniker (a nickname they had in school), I just know who they are.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by danbrowndmf(m): 3:36pm On Feb 19, 2016
Got my current job through twitter.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by joseph1832(m): 3:38pm On Feb 19, 2016
amicable09:

Joseph say what!!!!?
I don't mind being traced cos I don't do bad online... lol. Seriously, NL is not like Facebook. If anyone decides to hide his/her identity, the fellow can do that 100% without leaving any trace. It's possible on NL, most of my friends don't know I'm on NL but I've stumbled on their monikers here. Through their pictures and their choice of moniker (a nickname they had in school), I just know who they are.
Now this is what I'm talking about. From your posts or comments here, anyone who knows you, I mean, who really know you, will know it is you.

As for the part of hiding your identity here, while you feel you can do it successfully, just wait till they give you political appointment, and then, you'll see just how resourceful Nigerians are.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 3:42pm On Feb 19, 2016
joseph1832:
Now this is what I'm talking about. From your posts or comments here, anyone who knows you, I mean, who really know you, will know it is you.

As for the part of hiding your identity here, while you feel you can do it successfully, just wait till they give you political appointment, and then, you'll see just how resourceful Nigerians are.

Well, like I said before I don't do bad online. I welcome whoever wants to take a job on digging into my social media life because when he's done, he'll gladly give me the job.

BTW, I need that political appointment o. Lol.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by joseph1832(m): 3:45pm On Feb 19, 2016
amicable09:

Well, like I said before I don't do bad online. I welcome whoever wants to take a job on digging into my social media life because when he's done, he'll gladly give me the job.

BTW, I need that political appointment o. Lol.
LOL. Yea we all do. But seriously, its not about doing bad online, but sometimes, people might misinterpret whatever you say online.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Tobium1(m): 3:47pm On Feb 19, 2016
Shey na if I give de HRM my social media username? How will he investigate
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by laidback(m): 3:51pm On Feb 19, 2016
Guy leave all this gist. Everyone has secrets and regrets and as long as its within reason it should be OK. I mean no sane person should go online posting nude pics and all that kind of stuff, so apart from extreme stuff like that what can be so wrong?

I wouldn't change my opinion on politics for instance or stop expressing them because I want to get hired. The wayrecruiters go on you would think they are looking for angels to hire.

That someone is careful enough not to post certain things online doesn't mean they aren't living a weird double life. Most people just know how to separate the two, which is the proper and professional thing and really all you need to care about.

The more you go digging for stuff, the more likely you are to find things that would make you prejudicial towards a candidate if care is not taken. Stuff like political inclinations or sexual proclivities which are really none of your business but never the less elicit strong emotional responses from people.

Just make sure the person is qualified for the job. My opinion.

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 3:55pm On Feb 19, 2016
joseph1832:
LOL. Yea we all do. But seriously, its not about doing bad online, but sometimes, people might misinterpret whatever you say online.
You are right about the misinterpretation of what we say and do online. Most times with a clear conscience you may drop a comment and get attacked by some cyber bully and before you know what's happening, you have engaged yourself in a silly e-fight.

We just have to be cautious.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by serendipityF: 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2016
Hahahahahahhaha, I no join coz I am not an addicted social media person

ChappyChase:

You nkor?!
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by HaneefahRN(f): 4:16pm On Feb 19, 2016
OP, nice one
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by ChappyChase: 4:20pm On Feb 19, 2016
serendipityF:
Hahahahahahhaha, I no join coz I am not an addicted social media person

Tell me something!!!!
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by XaintJoel20: 4:35pm On Feb 19, 2016
techIslet:
Its been a while seeing different opinion/argument about social media life, personal life and career.

As much as i support the motion that the social media have big impact not only on our career but our life as a whole, It still baffles me how some people have turned deaf hear to the facts and figures of the happenings about and around this topic.

Let’s dive into this and learn together;

The Old Trend

For years, HR department have been doing their job with much stress trying to know whom you are, what you are, your flows and other things about you with questionnaires, references and other forms of research.

I have been part of two firms HR and some how in employment decision making of other firms. I see the truth about the questionnaire or research thing, its simply corporate gambling… we keep believing we are getting facts, what we believe is your (employee) fate… The best scenario we could have is someone that knows you that can share his/her view about you with us, without you knowing we spoke to such person. Thus the Social Media came to our aid.

The New Trend

Four(4) in every Five(5) Human Resource (HR) personnel are now running to the internet to aid their research about a prospective employee. An employer that goes online would base alot of fact about your personal life, social media life, and career on not less than 40% of your social media accounts, thus the percentage may vary up or down depending on your career type, level and what service(s) is required of you.

Source: Your Social Media life might render you jobless. [VIDEO]

It’s normal that not everyone will support a motion. I have heard different argument saying;

My social life is totally different from my normal life
I only do those things on social media for fun
My BBM status/PM is just to create conversation and scare haters
I could continue the list but let me stop here.

Let’s also forget about listing the obvious bad life some of us live online, of course we see them everywhere, and let me point out two facts until i do my next post about same topic.

Your real self is when no one is watching you: We wrongfully think social media (e.g: BBM) is private because we are either chatting in the Conner of our room alone or twitting from the toilet. dear brethren, you have to think again.
If you live a different life on social media, you will scare the employer: It is simply delivered has, you may still have another type of life to live if offered employment which smart employers won’t look away from, thereby making is a tougher one to get the job.
So what about the peeps whom are not socially active, wait for my next post about this topic. But before we have the next post, what’s your view about one of the most arguable social media topic;

Does your social media life have effect on your career or original life ? Share your view in comment.

Source: Your Social Media life might render you jobless. [VIDEO]
Keep me updated... I would want to read the next post as well..
Thanks..
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by joseph1832(m): 5:23pm On Feb 19, 2016
amicable09:

You are right about the misinterpretation of what we say and do online. Most times with a clear conscience you may drop a comment and get attacked by some cyber bully and before you know what's happening, you have engaged yourself in a silly e-fight.

We just have to be cautious.
Now we speak the same language. Lol.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 6:57pm On Feb 19, 2016
joseph1832:
Now we speak the same language. Lol.
Lol. Exactly what you want!
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by joseph1832(m): 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2016
amicable09:

Lol. Exactly what you want!
Hmm, how intriguing, I'm curious to know how you know what I want. Lol.
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by amicable09(f): 8:32pm On Feb 19, 2016
joseph1832:
Hmm, how intriguing, I'm curious to know how you know what I want. Lol.

Lol. We will derail this thread if we go there. Besides, our employers are watching! *winks
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by joseph1832(m): 9:24pm On Feb 19, 2016
amicable09:

Lol. We will derail this thread if we go there. Besides, our employers are watching! *winks
Well I'm my own man you know. Lol.

So since I'm a thoughtful kinda guy, lemme take you to where they won't see us. wink

1 Like

Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by fulfillbill(m): 9:55pm On Feb 19, 2016
A person who is afraid of sinning against man can't make heaven- FulfillBill 2016
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Cutehector(m): 10:52pm On Feb 19, 2016
So if a potential employer asks cutehector (not real name) what is ur social media Addy, den the employer will expect me to tell him oh yes, my moniker is cutehector and i'm a nairalander.. cheesy

Joke of the century!
Re: Finally Proven: Your Social Media Life Might Render You Jobless. by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 19, 2016
well this for those who use their real names for social media accounts. derz always plausible deniablity when a company is trying to get ur social media account details.

(1) (2) (Reply)

One Year/6 Months/4 Months Industrial Attachment Students Needed / Vacancy At Frieslandcampina WAMCO Nig PLC (peak Milk) / Kaduna State Roads Agency (KADRA) Recruitment 2018 - Apply Now!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.