Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,283 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried (33179 Views)

Governor Wike Vs Governor Ambode - See Gobe (photos) / Rivers: Updates At The Supreme Court Wike Vs Dakuku / Live Updates: Rivers State Gov. Election Petition Verdict: Wike Vs Peterside (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:24am On Jan 31, 2016
The supreme Court as the final arbiter, has brought to an end, a legal tussle between Nyesom Wike and Peterside Dakuku on the validity or otherwise of the election conducted in April in Rivers State by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

While I am saddened by the judgment that emanated from the Supreme Court, in which, in their "well considered" opinion, set aside the decision of the Election Tribunal and that of Appeal court on the subject matter, but affirmed The election that brought Nyesom Wike into power, as a legitimate and proper one. Though this seems in variance with public outcry both within and outside the country that followed the election, that had been described by many, as the most murderous, Violence- filled, and rigged election ever conducted anywhere in the Country. I am more worried for the fate of the opposition in the elections that are going to be held from now on.

Should The Opposition Be Worried?
I don't think many people especially of the PDP, have not realized the implication of the said judgment in the "life" of free and fair election in the Country, from now on.
It would be recalled that INEC, worried by the cases of incessant ballot snatching, tampering of voters register, snatching of result sheets and other electoral vices, genuinely came up with a masterstroke...a technology called Card Reader Machines, which sole aim was, to instill fear in the would be election riggers and also to render their "efforts" meaningless to an extent.

Consequently, to the Crédit of The Card Readers, a certain President Buhari Of the then opposition party (APC) Won an election, Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo(PDP) Won election in APC filled State, Rochas Okorocha Won an election in a PDP Filled State Of Imo etc.

The implication of the Judgment:
Recall, the major ground of Nyesom Wike's Appeal, was on the non admissibility of the Card reader as a part of the election guidelines as enshrined in the Electoral Act and the 1999 constitution as amended, which the Supreme court in their opinion agreed with Wike and discarded the Use Card Readers as a part of election process.

Now what has the Apex Court done? It has returned INEC to the era of Manual accreditation and validation of voters card. It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

So when next you hear of a political Party boasting of winning all the contested seats, it is not a fluke, it is achievable. And if you are contemplating of going to court, anyway I wish you "Supreme Court" luck..

~Miss Ngene.

110 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vayne(m): 11:28am On Jan 31, 2016
So all of a sudden,you realize there are going to be implications/consequences because a court verdict favored a legitimately elected governor wike,the slayer of APC.. grin

What were you expecting after rigging your way to power with same card reader!

Is it not funny how a supporter of the ruling party is wailing for opposition when it's supposed to be the other way round? sad

Mr man By the way,where is your source because we all know you are only able to talk and spit venom(in your small mind) whenever Biafra/nnamdi kanu is mentioned!

193 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 31, 2016
The question posed that day was "Are INEC'S guidelines bigger than the constitution?"

The Judgement in the Agbaje VS Ambode petition wrote the use of card readers off as "administrative Guidlines" and I think PDP, INEC themselves and Wike capitalised on that and used it as a reference point.

Though I'm UNPARTISAN, I think that election should have been annulled and reran just because of the violence and international outcry. But then the courts need concrete evidence and not hearsay... I think this is where Peterside failed!

It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

@ The Quoted

Ballot snatching occured at the just concluded Bayelsa guber elections BEFORE this judgement.

@The OP, Ballot snatching is part of the fabric of Nigerian politicians and their foot soldiers... No court judgement can usher in what's already in existence.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Obiodunukwe: 11:29am On Jan 31, 2016
I dont have much to say.

The quoted posts by hardywaltz says it all

hardywaltz:
Come Saturday the 6th of February we shall show PDP that we can also use force they way they use.
Thanks to the Supreme Court the inconvenience of card reader and voters register will not come into play
So even if there are 300 registered voters we will thumbprint 800.

Thank God the gorilla Gesila Khan won't be over seeing this elections make we see the smartness of PDP.

hardywaltz:
I was there life....
We shall overcome

The message from the Supreme Court is clear..

WIN AT ALL COST...

Kill if u have to...
Maim if u have to...
Thumbprint as much as u can...
Hijack all ballot box and voting materials and vote as much as u can...

We have learnt from our mistakes
Politics is not a popularity contest.

24 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by chriskosherbal(m): 11:31am On Jan 31, 2016
Politics......

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vanbonattel: 11:32am On Jan 31, 2016
Nansense! Nobody has a monopoly over violence, bring it on.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 31, 2016
sad

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 11:38am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
The supreme Court as the final arbiter, has brought to an end, a legal tussle between Nyesom Wike and Peterside Dakuku on the validity or otherwise of the election conducted in April in Rivers State by the Independent National Electoral Commission.

While I am saddened by the judgment emanating from the Supreme Court, in their "well considered" opinion, set aside the decision of the Election Tribunal and the Appeal court on the subject matter, but affirmed The election that brought Nyesom Wike into power, as a legitimate and proper one. Though this seems in variance with public outcry both within and outside the country that followed the election, that had been described by many, as the most murderous, Violence- filled, and rigged election ever conducted anywhere in the Country. I am more worried for the fate of the opposition in the elections that are going to be held from now on.

Should The Opposition Be Worried?
I don't think many people especially of the PDP, have realized the implication of the said judgment in the "life" of free and fair election in the Country, from now on.
It would be recalled that INEC, worried by the cases of incessant ballot snatching, tampering of voters register, snatching of result sheets and other electoral vices, genuinely came up with a masterstroke...a technology called Card Reader Machines, which sole aim was to instill fear in the would be election riggers and also to render their "efforts" meaningless to an extent.

Consequently, to the Crédit of The Card Readers, a certain President Buhari Of the then opposition party (APC) Won an election, Ibrahim Hassan Dankwambo(PDP) Won election in APC filled State, Rochas Okorocha Won an election in a PDP Filled State Of Imo etc.

The implication of the Judgment:
Recall, the major ground of Nyesom Wike's Appeal, was on the non admissibility of the Card reader as a part of the election guidelines as enshrined in the Electoral Act and the 1999 constitution as amended, which the Supreme court in their opinion agreed Wike and discarded the Use Card Readers.

Now what has the Apex Court done? It has returned INEC to the era of Manual accreditation and validation of voters card. It has returned everybody to the era of the "highest rigger takes all". It has energized ballot snatches. In fact it has removed every normalcy in the conduct of subsequent elections.. Yes that is what the Supreme Court has done..

So when next you hear of a political Party boasting of winning all the contested seats, it is not a fluke, it is achievable. And if you contemplating of going to court, anyway I wish you "Supreme Court" luck..

~Miss Ngene.

lalasticlala

Quit wailing...

108 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:39am On Jan 31, 2016
cheesy

the cry of those in suffering

Hehehehehehe cry me a river

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:43am On Jan 31, 2016
any state or constituency that apc wants to take by force will meet a brutal resistance by the people
ask the useless timipre sylva cheesy

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:47am On Jan 31, 2016
MAROC:
The question posed that day was "Are INEC'S guidelines bigger than the constitution?"

The Judgement in the Agbaje VS Ambode petition wrote the use of card readers off as "administrative Guidlines" and I think PDP, INEC themselves and Wike capitalised on that and used it as a reference point.

Though I'm UNPARTISAN, I think that election should have been annulled and reran just because of the violence and international outcry. But then the courts need concrete evidence and not hearsay... I think this is where Peterside failed!

@ The Quoted

Ballot snatching occured at the just concluded Bayelsa guber elections BEFORE this judgement.

@The OP, Ballot snatching is part of the fabric of Nigerian politicians and their foot soldiers... No court judgement can usher in what's already in existence.

But at least you agreed, the Use of Card readers are now in the past! The field is wide opened now!

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vayne(m): 11:48am On Jan 31, 2016
bloodkiIler:
cheesy

the cry of those in suffering

Hehehehehehe cry me a river
Is it not funny how ruling party is wailing grin

Perhaps he was expecting his fellow zombies like omenka to fill the first page so they can masturbate together.....poor ngene,celebration cut short! grin

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by MaziOmenuko: 11:48am On Jan 31, 2016
This has been my worry! The supreme court is about to destroy all the efforts of former inec boss in checkmating rigging and ballot snatching. After the horrid display we saw in rivers election, validating it will only harden the hearts of die-hard riggers to return to the era of ballot snatching and stuffing.

This is a supreme mistake but not totally the fault of the supreme court. The court is a court of law, and not a court of justice. Meaning that it takes decisions only backed by law and constitution. It only upheld what the constitution said and not what we believe is right or wrong.

The way forward...

This can obly be corrected by the nass. Let the national assembly ammend the electoral act to include a consistent and mandatory use of the card reader. This way, cases coming to the courts will have a legal and constitutional backing. Else, we are back to the horrible days of electoral violence and where the most violent taketh it by force.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:49am On Jan 31, 2016
vanbonattel:

Nansense! Nobody has a monopoly over violence, bring it on.

Hope, you will say this in few days time!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vayne(m): 11:50am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

But at least you agreed, the Use of Card readers are now in the past! The field is wide opened now!
After using same card reader to rig your way to power abi,come and put it in the past now...two can play the game....Akwa ibom loading....

46 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:50am On Jan 31, 2016
vayne:

Is it not funny how ruling party is wailing grin

Perhaps he was expecting her fellow zombies like omenka to fill the first page so they can masturbate together.....poor ngene,celebration cut short! grin

Hehehehehehe i can recall how omenka was boasting how they'll take rivers but i told him to forget about it but he no gree grin

30 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:51am On Jan 31, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
This has been my worry! The supreme court is about to destroy all the efforts of former inec boss in checkmating rigging and ballot snatching. After the horrid display we saw in rivers election, validating it will only harden the hearts of die-hard riggers to return to the era of ballot snatching and stuffing.

This is a supreme mistake but not totally the fault of the supreme court. The court is a court of law, and not a court of justice. Meaning that it takes decisions only backed by law and constitution. It only upheld what the constitution said and not what we believe is right or wrong.

The way forward...

This can obly be corrected by the nass. Let the national assembly ammend the electoral act to include a consistent and mandatory use of the card reader. This way, cases coming to the courts will have a legal and constitutional backing. Else, we are back to the horrible days of electoral violence and where the most violent taketh it by force.

Very apt!

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by RedCapChief(m): 11:51am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneU is back at the writing desk after a stress-induced break cheesy

Dakuku's lawyers did a poor job. The CardReader is a product of INEC and not the Electoral Act. Besides, even INEC permit the use of manual verification in the absence of the cardreader. The APC tried to use the lack of card-reader verification to trump Wike but, as will soon be shown, that is legally inadmissible evidence.
The solution will be to amend the Electoral Act to include card-reader verification.

33 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Abagworo(m): 11:52am On Jan 31, 2016
What it simply means is that ballot snatching is not even needed. The returning officers will simply quote imaginary results and the court will support the outcome. Unknown to PDP supporters It is to the advantage of APC.

16 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vanbonattel: 11:52am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

No ammunition can stop the determined will of the masses. APC are just a bunch of power drunk ex convicts.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:53am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

shatap!! apc will meet a brutal resistance by the people of Rivers if they try any nonsense
mr man lick your wound and continue crying grin if you're still hopping of taking rivers by proxy just forget it and save yourself the high bp cheesy

21 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vayne(m): 11:54am On Jan 31, 2016
bloodkiIler:

Hehehehehehe i can recall how omenka was boasting how they'll take rivers but i told him to forget about it but he no gree grin
Both can wail till Jesus comes,the card readers are here to stay..Pdp is here to stay..Akwa ibom loading..

This is why they were trying to implicate tompolo,so they can reduce his influence in niger delta/SS,knowing fully well that he is loyal to Pdp.

16 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:54am On Jan 31, 2016
vanbonattel:

No ammunition can stop the determined will of the masses. APC are just a bunch of power drunk ex convicts.

Bayelsa a case of study

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

I think INEC really failed with the card readers. Those card readers were so faulty!

If INEC had introduced accreditation with superior technology, Then the use of Card readers OR MANUAL will then be abolished cos the Card readers will be flawlessly functional.

But the manual accreditation still allowed by INEC is the weak link there and the only way out for Riggers not the supreme court

So Mahmood should work on introducing better technology and integrate ONLY that as a means of accreditation/ Verification in the electoral act thereby ending/Replacing the conventional method!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by dustmalik: 11:56am On Jan 31, 2016
Abagworo:
What it simply means is that ballot snatching is not even needed. The returning officers will simply quote imaginary results and the court will support the outcome. Unknown to PDP supporters It is to the advantage of APC.
This^^. You couldn't have said it any better

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by vayne(m): 11:56am On Jan 31, 2016
vanbonattel:

APC has been rejected,let that sink into their heads!

21 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:56am On Jan 31, 2016
Abagworo:

That is it!

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:57am On Jan 31, 2016
vayne:

Both can wail till Jesus comes,the card readers are here to stay..Pdp is here to stay..Akwa ibom loading..

This is why they were trying to implicate tompolo,so they can reduce his influence in niger delta/SS,knowing fully well that he is loyal to Pdp.

lol it's DOA

now pdp is in control of SE/SS their mission is to destabilize apc influence in the north they should capitalize of the cluelessness and incompetence of this useless bullharry led administration grin

ngeneukwenu and omenka can cry me a lagoon

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by Johnrake69: 11:57am On Jan 31, 2016
@ngeneukwenu. The above write up is really faulty. Infact, Inec should even be tried for using a General Election to experiment on a new procedure. I was a presiding officer and I can tell you that we would have had a huge crises on our hands if the manual accreditation was not adopted mid-way the election. How do you explain to Emeka, Musa or Ayodele that he can't participate in the election because the card reader couldn't capture his thump print, when his name is in the voter's register and he is armed with his PVC. Thank God for the Supreme Court. If you really cared to understand the stand point of the Supreme Court. The issue of the card reader was simply that of electoral guideline. And that posed the question of whether electoral guideline was more important than an electoral act.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:58am On Jan 31, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

That is it!

hopping of election rigging?

that's shows how battered you're now

ntoooor

8 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by asha80(m): 11:58am On Jan 31, 2016
Abagworo:
the supreme court judgement is the only hope okezie ikpeazu pdp in abia have in getting back the abia seat..if supreme court maintained that election in rivers be cancelled then have it that okezie ikpeazu's election nullification would have been upheld by supreme court

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Ruling: Wike Vs Peterside: Why The Opposition Should Be Worried by bloodkiIler: 11:59am On Jan 31, 2016
[s]
dustmalik:

This^^. You couldn't have said it any better
[/s]

shatap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'better An Ex-dictator Than A Weak President'- UK Telegraph / RRS Police Deploys Surveillance Drones To Monitor Crime In Lagos (Photos) / Kano Indigenes Climb A Building To Wave At President Buhari (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.