Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? (25274 Views)

Count On Us As Our Profile Speaks In Clearing Your Roro/container/vehicle In Nig / 5 Kinds Of Ladies You Meet At Lagos Mall / Dangote In Casual Outfit At Lagos Polo Club (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by demosoft: 6:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
yeye dy smell
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by idupaul: 6:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Seizures usually after three months... when you must have accumulated demurrage running into millions of naira... trust me I know... your demurrage at of now shouldn't e around 750k... because I'm sure you have a 40 ft container... So this is the solution... call your agent... tell him you'll offset the bill (usually costly...) to get your containers out or you'll be losing the whole consignment...

You mentioned you had clothes in your container... did you declare that on your bill lading... I can tell you didn't... personal effects are usually very sketchy...

You know ur Onions

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Laredojohn(m): 6:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo you have really given the op a detailed analysis of the whole ishh, hope he gets it sorted out soon, better he looses and get his cost back, than loosing the whole consignment ,knowing an agent personally I different from knowing one professionally, professionalism should come first, op sowi..just find out and settle as needed to get ur goods.

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by kingGoldust(m): 6:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
The agent ,short payment on custom duty ,that's why the declaration enter alaert
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by mayorjosh(m): 6:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
slimzypink:
yes your money has entered voicemail/... u know what voicemail is? sorry
what do you know about importing and exporting

wait...

do u even know anything about the maritime industry?

3 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by seangy4konji: 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
You don enter one chance.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by BlackOyinbo: 6:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:
you paid a total of #1.450 million...

2004 Sienna... duty is around 250-350k

2007 Xterra... duty should be around 550-700k

2009 Nissan... Duty should be around 800-950k

Then the miscellaneous items you have in the containers... from household items to electronics... duty is usually 200k flat...

Shipping company... 200k deposit for 40ft container... refundable... another 200-300k for terminal charges... and around 88k for daily demurrage...

Now calculate how much you paid again... some agents do it for far lower than this by under reducing the years of the vehicles and bribing the custom officer that's examining the container... but it's always two ways.... it's either you scale through... Or it comes back to bite you... ever wonder why you're travelling and the custom seize your vehicle saying you didn't pay correct duty... yeah... that's what happens...

Is the duty for land border the same as the ports?
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by noblealuu: 6:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
slimzypink:
yes your money has entered voicemail/... u know what voicemail is? sorry

All these minors sef, someone is in dilemma all you could offer was to spew thrash up there; whatever happens to kids playing outside in the sand when adults are brainstorming how to salvage a predicament. Smh

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by mayorjosh(m): 6:35pm On Feb 05, 2016
noblealuu:

All these minors sef, someone is in dilemma all you could offer was to spew thrash up there; whatever happens to kids playing outside in the sand when adults are brainstorming how to salvage a predicament. Smh
you're so on point.she just wanted her comment to be on FP

9 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by deluxecad(m): 6:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
eksammy:

Hello N'landers,

Please I need you guys to advise me cos Im having a feeling that some things may not be right.

My container with 3 cars (2009 Nissan, 2007 Xterra & 2004 Sienna) landed in Lagos on the 15th of January and till today Feb. 3, the Agent has not cleared it after i gave him 600k, 500k and 350k respectively for the 3 cars even a week before they landed.

Week 1: He claims the container was inspected by customs on the 18th (3 days after it birthed) and they asked for extra 70k for some clothes in the container...and this dragged.

Week 2: He said there were changes in policies causing the delay and the goods has entered 'ALERT' whatever that means. He now said later in the week that he has spent 158k and still trying to get full amount for 'dummorage'.

Week 3: Today is wednesday and he has not picked his calls this week.

Please can someone explain to me how this clearing thing works?

How long is it supposed to take to clear a container?

Are there recent legal changes affecting clearing at Lagos Port of maerskline?

What does it mean for goods to 'enter alert'?

How long does it take for containers to start accumulating Dummorhage and what is the daily rate?

Someone please help and advise me on what you think i should do.

It's "Demurrage" not "Dummorhage"
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by seamanFerrari23: 6:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
We av 2 type of Alart Q$A wic is quarry and amendment and Valuation.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by macklef(m): 6:41pm On Feb 05, 2016
When u dont learn the ropes first before delving into business.
Didnt u hear that the govt of now is blocking leakages?
Understating import just to lessen duties is part of d leakages.
Do a thorough fisibility study nezt time n get pure facts without trying to do mago mago.

Importation of goods wil be more expensive now dan in the punitive days.
No more cutting corners, anyone who cuts corners in customs is taking risk,
Dey risking ur valuables too.
#Change!!!

3 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 6:43pm On Feb 05, 2016
BlackOyinbo:

Is the duty for land border the same as the ports?

Yes basically... but agents still underpays... that's the only way they make money... how many client can afford to pay agency fee of 80-120k...
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by onkachi(m): 6:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
Since u used maerskline I believe the work is in apapa not tincan or it might be in any of the bonded terminals in lagos, so demurage starts counting 3days after berthing ,it starts frm 1500 to 18500 at the third periou which I guess u r in now,same goes for terminal charges ,yes u had alert doesn't necesarly mean d agnt under
Paid, this things happen,d cloths cldnt be d prblem I gues u v paid DN already for the alert u had so u r free to go,pls snd sm1 to apapa with a copy of the BL to knw the status cos as it is u r gtng a bill of 30k min evryday
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Labee: 6:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Then the miscellaneous items you have in the containers... from household items to electronics... duty is usually 200k flat...

Shipping company... 200k deposit for 40ft container... refundable... another 200-300k for terminal charges... and around 88k for daily demurrage...
Now calculate how much you paid again... some agents do it for far lower than this by under reducing the years of the vehicles and bribing the custom officer that's examining the container... but it's always two ways.... it's either you scale through... Or it comes back to bite you... ever wonder why you're travelling and the custom seize your vehicle saying you didn't pay correct duty... yeah... that's what happens...

Oga no scare the guy like that nah (per the bolded above). Daily demurrage for terminal TICT 2nd or even Grimaldi na 8,800 naira per day for the first period. He appears to be in the last period. Hence his demurrage na N12,600 per day. You forgot to mention, releasing officer money. DC Money, CIU money, OC Gate money, even the agencies money (Police/anti bomb, SS, NDLEA, ), even valuation get money. This container should cost him N1,550,000 million to clear (assuming it is loaded with goods. However, if the container only contain just the 3 cars, then he should be paying N1,400,000 million naira. Any regulatory body can easily place alert on the system. For instance, the one that I cleared in December had an alert initiated by port CID. They claimed that they got information from New York that I had furniture in my container. I just laughed and gave them 10,000 (ten thousand naira), and they released the alert immediately

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by CharLee22: 6:49pm On Feb 05, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by otunbashonny(m): 6:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
The guy has done a bad job for u and you might no get your cars so sorry.
For job to enter alert that means he has short pay the Federal govt. Contact me on olac360@yahoo.com
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 6:52pm On Feb 05, 2016
Laredojohn:
iPopAlomo you have really given the op a detailed analysis of the whole ishh, hope he gets it sorted out soon, better he looses and get his cost back, than loosing the whole consignment ,knowing an agent personally I different from knowing one professionally, professionalism should come first, op sowi..just find out and settle as needed to get ur goods.

I always paid correct duty... while I was still an agent... but I still had to bribe the customs to release the consignment...

Imagine paying correct duty and still paying 5K for a single unit of vehicle... with Abeg ooo... and someone that underpays pays around 20-30k sometimes 50k per unit of vehicle... but he's made much more by short payment...

The Customs were encouraging the leakages cos they made more money making Honest Agents toil for nothing...

So one day... I just told myself... to hell with this... and I left...

3 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 6:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
Labee:

Oga no scare the guy like that nah (per the bolded above). Daily demurrage for terminal TICT 2nd or even Grimaldi na 8,800 naira per day for the first period. He appears to be in the last period. Hence his demurrage na N12,600 per day. You forgot to mention, releasing officer money. DC Money, CIU money, OC Gate money, even the agencies money (Police/anti bomb, SS, NDLEA, ), even valuation get money. This container should cost him N1,550,000 million to clear (assuming it is loaded with goods. However, if the container only contain just the 3 cars, then he should be paying N1,400,000 million naira. Any regulatory body can easily place alert on the system. For instance, the one that I cleared in December had an alert initiated by port CID. They claimed that they got information from New York that I had furniture in my container. I just laughed and gave them 10,000 (ten thousand naira), and they released the alert immediately

Demurrage for units of vehicles I under 15k per day... it's not hearsay or heardo... container demurrages are way high... I still have documents at home to show for it... paying 78k demurrage per day for a 40ft container at TCIT...
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by onelife97: 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
Labee:

Is it illegal to import furniture into Nigeria?
I'M planing to import house building materials,furniture and other household items.I would like to know if it's legal to import all these things for personal use.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by daprince: 7:04pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Couldn't have said it any better! Guy, I raise two hands hail you.
OP, When an agent quotes you cheap clearing charges, you gotta shine your eyes. That agent has sucked you in. Dude, go pay what you owe Buhari and his people.

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Labee: 7:05pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:

Demurrage for units of vehicles I under 15k per day... it's not hearsay or heardo... container demurrages are way high... I still have documents at home to show for it... paying 78k demurrage per day for a 40ft container at TCIT...

Oga with all due respect to you, his container has not even been at the wharf for 30 days, so how can he pay that kind of amount. I know that system very well. I import and clear my goods myself. TITC is right behind Zenith and Access bank in the Panasonic building at point road Apapa by area B police station, right opposite KeyStone bank. I am saying all this to prove to you that I am a regular. His demurrage on the terminal side at this level should be 12,600 per day for the container and not for units of cars. Depending on his arrangement with the shipping company, he might just pay little demurage. I always ship with ZIM lines or Hanjin, or United Arab shipping lines, and I make sure that my shipper gets me 21 days free

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Labee: 7:06pm On Feb 05, 2016
onelife97:

Is it illegal to import furniture into Nigeria?
I'M planing to import house building materials,furniture and other household items.I would like to know if it's legal to import all these things for personal use.

Ha, oga run for your dear life o. It sound like you are trying to bring these things in commercial quantities (although you stated personal use). You go cry if you try am o
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by smartdebiz(m): 7:07pm On Feb 05, 2016
eksammy:

Hello N'landers,

Please I need you guys to advise me cos Im having a feeling that some things may not be right.

My container with 3 cars (2009 Nissan, 2007 Xterra & 2004 Sienna) landed in Lagos on the 15th of January and till today Feb. 3, the Agent has not cleared it after i gave him 600k, 500k and 350k respectively for the 3 cars even a week before they landed.

Week 1: He claims the container was inspected by customs on the 18th (3 days after it birthed) and they asked for extra 70k for some clothes in the container...and this dragged.

Week 2: He said there were changes in policies causing the delay and the goods has entered 'ALERT' whatever that means. He now said later in the week that he has spent 158k and still trying to get full amount for 'dummorage'.

How long does it take for containers to start accumulating Dummorhage and what is the daily rate?

Clearing cars or any unprohibited goods shouldn't exceed 3-7 days. Did you use shipping companies like dhl, fedex etc.? It will be easier to clear goods shipped by dhl, fedex, tnt etc. They normally send the documents containing your import duty from customs. So, ask the person what shipping company he used and the custom duty documents.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Alexander001(m): 7:13pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:

That was what I was telling someone yesterday... it doesn't matter if the cars are beat up... damaged or broken down... they still command the same duty as a used car... inexperience killed your agent...
bros, you wise pass Solomon. you don tee for importation business.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by femmy2010(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
Clearing a container takes Max 1 week .
From all you have said it is obvious the clearing agent paid less than what he ought to pay thus the "Alert".
I would say the clearing agent billed lesser thus the short payment of customs duty route he has towed .

My advise i you go to the port and insist on knowing the exact problem and simply settle it cos demurage/Rent would continually pile up .

Wish you the best

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by iPopAlomo(m): 7:15pm On Feb 05, 2016
Labee:

Oga with all due respect to you, his container has not even been at the wharf for 30 days, so how can he pay that kind of amount. I know that system very well. I import and clear my goods myself. TITC is right behind Zenith and Access bank in the Panasonic building at point road Apapa by area B police station, right opposite KeyStone bank. I am saying all this to prove to you that I am a regular. His demurrage on the terminal side at this level should be 12,600 per day for the container and not for units of cars. Depending on his arrangement with the shipping company, he might just pay little demurage. I always ship with ZIM lines or Hanjin, or United Arab shipping lines, and I make sure that my shipper gets me 21 days free

True that...

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
The agent under-pay no doubt about that but if if he's smart enough he should be able to tackle issues.

Immediately he pick your call ask him the stage your container is that he should be honest with you. Prepare yourself as you will be asked to pay more money.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by 4nobody4every1: 7:22pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:
There is no new policy anywhere... clearing involves the following process...

1. Pay your duty...
2. Examine the consignment for which duty is paid... to make sure the federal government wasn't cheated...
3. Pay Shipping and Terminal fees...
4. Release your consignment...

I can comfortably tell you... you underpaid your agent... he also tried to underpay the government... which leads to your present predicament...
.Gbam, 600likes cheesy cool

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by lanruma001: 7:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
Bro, trust no one!
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Analysiscorner: 7:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
correctyourself:

Call 070........... for assistance and follow up
Please, the man is serious.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Labee: 7:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
eksammy:

Hello N'landers,

Bros, your money to comfortably pull this container should be around N1,500,000 and N1,550,000. The agent was probably working with what you gave him. You probable dealt him a "take it or leave it type of deal", hence he took it, knowing that if it hooks you go still drop the remaining money.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Banks Deliberately Flood Market With Dirty Naira Notes—cbn / Fire Outbreak At Abakaliki Rice Mill Company (Photos) / If You Earn 2.5m Everymonth How Do You Invest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.