Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,417 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? (25273 Views)

Count On Us As Our Profile Speaks In Clearing Your Roro/container/vehicle In Nig / 5 Kinds Of Ladies You Meet At Lagos Mall / Dangote In Casual Outfit At Lagos Polo Club (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by InvertedHammer: 7:30pm On Feb 05, 2016
/
The problem is from your agent.

I got "hosed" last year. My consignment arrived Lagos on October 29th, 2015. The shipping company A & A Shipping LLC, Compton (now defunct) was notorious for late Telex release. Telex release took another 2 weeks after harassing the hell out of them. Then the agent started his rat-race
gimmick in Nigeria. More delays and the demurrage and terminal fees came up to N1.2m (after 2 months). I had to pay just to get the goods out on January 31st after Apapa Police, the Comptroller, and people from Abuja got involved. The agent had to come clean else it would have been one long story after another. There are a lot of unscrupulous agents in Lagos especially since the field is unregulated.

Your agent probably pulled a fast one and got caught. So now he has to find money to cover the expenses. He probably expended whatever he made from trying to cheat the Customs. Expect more dodgy stories from him. Clearing of a container should not take more than five working days:
Customs duties, inspection, demurrage (if any), terminal fees and haulage.

\

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by OYAY(m): 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
otunbashonny:
The guy has done a bad job for u and you might no get your cars so sorry.
For job to enter alert that means he has short pay the Federal govt. Contact me on olac360@yahoo.com

Have you been availed the extent to which the job has gone for you to conclude he has done bad job and the next thing is for op to contact you abi? So if the guy has done bad are u now different from him for trying to reap from others misfortune? Knowing fully well that others have been offering their advise in the open so be sincere in your dealings!

Now to the op,the guy might not have bargained for what he met on the field especially when your container is carrying personal effects occupying a whole space of a vehicle and the rest space I guess; moreover you only said 2009 nissan but did not tell us the brand whether car or SUV hence w cannot categorically said the 600K is enough or not. Now take the bill lading to port to know d status whether he has pay duty or not but if truly he has done examination he would have paid but just confirm that.
The agents' refusal to pick your call is not helping matter but you need to see him so that he can explain the status to you.

On the demurrage,the shipping company and the terminal charges demurrage but I guess the shipping company will give you 14 days concession before charging theirs which is normally 9k flat rate while the terminal as at now will be 12.6k but am sure he(agent) must have paid some before the examination if he has done it hence in summary try to see your agent while you go for confirmation in the shipping company being the consignee they will avail you the extent he has gone with them, thereafter visit DTI cafe in Apapa with the BL to know if he has paid duty thereafter you can know what to do.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by dipsin999(m): 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2016
[.

Week 2: He said there were changes in policies causing the delay and the goods has entered 'ALERT' whatever that means. He now said later in the week that he has spent 158k and still trying to get full amount for 'dummorage'.

Week 3: Today is wednesday and he has not picked his calls this week.

Please can someone explain to me how this clearing thing works?

How long is it supposed to take to clear a container?

Are there recent legal changes affecting clearing at Lagos Port of maerskline?

What does it mean for goods to 'enter alert'?

How long does it take for containers to start accumulating Dummorhage and what is the daily rate?

Someone please help and advise me on what you think i should do.

[/quote]

If you have not seen any docs for the clearing, i can catergorically say Its a scam script. My client had same issue recently with some who claim to have paid duty and released the car. He waited for 2months with the key, he collected from terminal. When i was imformed, simply requested for the BL and to my greatest surprise nothing was down on the job.

I can give you a full info if u can send me your BL for verfication.

Normally, you should receive container in one week but at times Nigeria Customs discourage import and export. If our govt can seek suggestion, i have my advise to ease all this customs wahala at the port.

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Analysiscorner: 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2016
Labee:

Oga no scare the guy like that nah (per the bolded above). Daily demurrage for terminal TICT 2nd or even Grimaldi na 8,800 naira per day for the first period. He appears to be in the last period. Hence his demurrage na N12,600 per day. You forgot to mention, releasing officer money. DC Money, CIU money, OC Gate money, even the agencies money (Police/anti bomb, SS, NDLEA, ), even valuation get money. This container should cost him N1,550,000 million to clear (assuming it is loaded with goods. However, if the container only contain just the 3 cars, then he should be paying N1,400,000 million naira. Any regulatory body can easily place alert on the system. For instance, the one that I cleared in December had an alert initiated by port CID. They claimed that they got information from New York that I had furniture in my container. I just laughed and gave them 10,000 (ten thousand naira), and they released the alert immediately
You mean, you have to go through all these to clear your goods at the port?

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Rockyrascal(m): 7:32pm On Feb 05, 2016
Oga or madam, the truth is you have been scammed.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by correctyourself(m): 7:33pm On Feb 05, 2016
Analysiscorner:

Please, the man is serious.

I posted the complete number for several minutes and he see saw it and didn't call, so I have to take away the number because I'm not advertising for everybody, its just to help and I'm not sure he is serious. Lets forget it.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Labee: 7:34pm On Feb 05, 2016
OYAY:

Have you been availed the extent to which the job has gone for you to conclude he has done bad job and the next thing is for op to contact you abi? So if the guy has done bad are u now different from him for trying to reap from others misfortune? Knowing fully well that others have been offering their advise in the open so be sincere in your dealings!

Now to the op,the guy might not have bargained for what he met on the field especially when your container is carrying personal effects occupying a whole space of a vehicle and the rest space I guess; moreover you only said 2009 nissan but did not tell us the brand whether car or SUV hence w cannot categorically said the 600K is enough or not. Now take the bill lading to port to know d status whether he has pay duty or not but if truly he has done examination he would have paid but just confirm that.
The agents' refusal to pick your call is not helping matter but you need to see him so that he can explain the status to you.

On the demurrage,the shipping company and the terminal charges demurrage but I guess the shipping company will give you 14 days concession before charging theirs which is normally 9k flat rate while the terminal as at now will be 12.6k but am sure he(agent) must have paid some before the examination if he has done it hence in summary try to see your agent while you go for confirmation in the shipping company being the consignee they will avail you the extent he has gone with them, thereafter visit DTI cafe in Apapa with the BL to know if he has paid duty thereafter you can know what to do.

Thank you . You know exactly what could be happening. A lot of folks on here never even enter wharf before and they are already bashing the agent

OP you need to follow the advice OYAY prescribed above. It is the best response. Take you behind to Apapa and figure out what is happening, rather than waiting on the agent who is probably stressed right about now
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by touche(m): 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
If you have a copy of your bill of lading, you can check your container number and use it to trace the status of the consignment. Let me know if you need assistance on this
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Rockyrascal(m): 7:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/
The problem is from your agent.

I got "hosed" last year. My consignment arrived Lagos on October 29th, 2015. The shipping company A & A Shipping LLC, Compton (now defunct) was notorious for late Telex release. Telex release took another 2 weeks after harassing the hell out of them. Then the agent started his rat-race
gimmick in Nigeria. More delays and the demurrage and terminal fees came up to N1.2m (after 2 months). I had to pay just to get the goods out on January 31st after Apapa Police, the Comptroller, and people from Abuja got involved. The agent had to come clean else it would have been one long story after another. There are a lot of unscrupulous agents in Lagos especially since the field is unregulated.

Your agent probably pulled a fast one and got caught. So now he has to find money to cover the expenses. He probably expended whatever he made from trying to cheat the Customs. Expect more dodgy stories from him. Clearing of a container should not take more than five working days:
Customs duties, inspection, demurrage (if any), terminal fees and haulage.

\
as far as I can see custom,clearing agent,apapa. Am afraid you have been defrauded.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by InvertedHammer: 7:39pm On Feb 05, 2016
/
Something crazy must be going on in Lagos. My other consignment got in on January 15th, Telex release was on Feb 1st.
The agent is promising to get the container out by Tuesday next week. I am already waiting for long stories. After many years
of shipping things to Nigeria, this is the first time that I have had problems. So something really must be going on in Lagos ports.
My suspicion is that a new sheriff is in town and the clearing agents are getting caught in their web of lies oblivious of the fact
that it is a new regime, new game.

So take heart my friend. Are you in Nigeria? If not, expect long stories.

\

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by InvertedHammer: 7:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rockyrascal:
as far as I can see custom,clearing agent,apapa. Am afraid you have been defrauded.
/
I knew it. But I was not in Nigeria then. I just wanted the consignment out to cut my losses.

Guess what? Whatever money he made, he probably has finished it now.

Life goes on.

\

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Rockyrascal(m): 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
I knew it. But I was not in Nigeria then. I just wanted the consignment out to cut my losses.

Guess what? Whatever money he made, he probably has finished it now.

Life goes on.

\
am saying this because am a fraudster just like that dude.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
Aminat508:
Hmmm

Lalasticlala FP pls, a bro needs help!

Aminaotu papapa
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Aminat508(f): 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2016
adextaiwo84:

Aminaotu papapa
shocked grin
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by InvertedHammer: 7:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rockyrascal:
am saying this because am a fraudster just like that dude.
/

It doesn't pay. I don't even see how much he made to warrant all the nonsense.

The demurrage and Terminal fees were paid directly to the authorities.

I will be surprised if he made N200k from the deal. Was it worth it? I don't think so.

He lost his main client that introduced me to him. For someone that just started a new family, he will go through hard times.

He would have been the one clearing the second container now but he destroyed his reputation with greed/lies.

I learned that he has turned into a pastor in some mushroom church in Ajagbadi(?).

\

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Makamuanwuo(m): 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:
Let me try to answer your questions...

This is the scenario... your agent underpaid customs duty... and by entering alert... it means... your agent got caught...

Wrong disclaration and underpayment of duty
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by samflex(m): 8:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
He short paid custom duty and got caught, it's normal at roro port tin can.
he's trying to sort it out that's why he's not picking your call.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Makamuanwuo(m): 8:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:
There is no new policy anywhere... clearing involves the following process...

1. Pay your duty...
2. Examine the consignment for which duty is paid... to make sure the federal government wasn't cheated...
3. Pay Shipping and Terminal fees...
4. Release your consignment...

I can comfortably tell you... you underpaid your agent... he also tried to underpay the government... which leads to your present predicament...

mayb the op no tell his agent d truth abt his consignment.
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by lawrizo(m): 8:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
Talk to God about it

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by greggng: 8:13pm On Feb 05, 2016
this is exactly what my friend faced with one agent and till date he collected money from other people and ran away. The worst part was that he went away with all the car documents. When eventually he got another document , he was told that the agent didn't do anything and the car entered dumorage. Also patronize real agents ...their charges might be high but you are sure of your goods. I will try and get a contact person that my friend used at tin can ...through that person he was able to know the true state of things......infact without that person, his goods would have been there forever cos he believed that the agent was actually working
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
Aminat508:
shocked grin

U knw that movie? grin
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by dougivilla(m): 8:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
iPopAlomo:
There is no new policy anywhere... clearing involves the following process...

1. Pay your duty...
2. Examine the consignment for which duty is paid... to make sure the federal government wasn't cheated...
3. Pay Shipping and Terminal fees...
4. Release your consignment...

I can comfortably tell you... you underpaid your agent... he also tried to underpay the government... which leads to your present predicament...
I do not completely agree with your assertion. If he can get the assessment and duty payment receipt, then maybe we can know the true position as per under payment.

Some agents charge for everything, and then try to cut corners to make profits; which sometimes back fires.

I have been in this trade long enough to know that he's either being scammed or his agent tried a short cut that back fired. I have seen agents abandon jobs half way and taking off with clients money amongst several other gimmicks they play.

Solution: Go look for him, get all documents relating to the transaction, especially the duty assessment, shipping and terminal payments receipts and the alert notification document (inspection act). pass same on to someone knowledgeable in the trade to give you the true position of your consignment. Alternatively, get a copy of the Bill of Laden and/or PAAR and get to either a DTI, the shipping company or Terminal to know what has been going on.

I wish you the best in this adventure.

2 Likes

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by micbreezy7(m): 8:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
[quote author=eksammy post=42582725]
Hello N'landers,

Please I need you guys to advise me cos Im having a feeling that some things may not be right.

My container with 3 cars (2009 Nissan, 2007 Xterra & 2004 Sienna) landed in Lagos on the 15th of January and till today Feb. 3, the Agent has not cleared it after i gave him 600k, 500k and 350k respectively for the 3 cars even a week before they landed.

Week 1: He claims the container was inspected by customs on the 18th (3 days after it birthed) and they asked for extra 70k for some clothes in the container...and this dragged.

Week 2: He said there were changes in policies causing the delay and the goods has entered 'ALERT' whatever that means. He now said later in the week that he has spent 158k and still trying to get full amount for 'dummorage'.

Week 3: Today is wednesday and he has not picked his calls this week.

Please can someone explain to me how this clearing thing works?

How long is it supposed to take to clear a container?

Are there recent legal changes affecting clearing at Lagos Port of maerskline?

What does it mean for goods to 'enter alert'?

How long does it take for containers to start accumulating Dummorhage and what is the daily rate?

Someone please help and advise me on what you think i should do.

Alert means ur agent didn't pay the supposed duty amount...let him ask 4 a DM and n pay the supposed amount and with a little bribe they will remove it 4rm alert and he can proceed and clear the container...no need for panicking

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Aminat508(f): 8:55pm On Feb 05, 2016
adextaiwo84:

U knw that movie? grin
yea Odun gan cheesy
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Anextin(f): 8:56pm On Feb 05, 2016
RichYoungNigga:

Ain't you suppose to be in the kitchen ?
Can you explain why you think she should be in the kitchen. I know she didn't reply the op in a better way, but you........mehn lolz
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by DONFASZY(m): 9:14pm On Feb 05, 2016
cheap quote s always lead to shit like dis...@op...u wil nw spend frm ur nose...

go n sit wit dis agent n stoo callin n ask him to tel u d truth n d problems...settle it out wit more money n stay wit him until ur load exit port
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Impexp(m): 9:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
If you have a copy of the bill of lading with you, come to the port on Monday with a copy and call me on 08186116315.

I should be able to check the status of the container for you and also confirm if truly there is alert on it or not because some agent might be bad.

Never give him any money until after this confirmation.

Just an assistant

1 Like

Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
Aminat508:
yea Odun gan cheesy

Aswear llke sugar grin , what's that ur bbm pin? Or can u check mine on my dp and add me?
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by InvertedHammer: 9:19pm On Feb 05, 2016
/
OP, you better hurry up before it becomes too late. As stated, I went through the same crap about 2 months ago. I was lucky in a way. I was down additional N1.7m. But I seized the shipping agent's VW Passat 2006 and a Toyota Avalon engine he had in another container.

Shine your eyes.
/
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by donquan(m): 9:20pm On Feb 05, 2016
Talk to these guys http://roskastevens.net/
Re: Delay In Clearing My Cars At Lagos Port...am I Being Scammed? by Impexp(m): 9:25pm On Feb 05, 2016
You just gave a wrong analysis here my brother if you can agree with me.

You don't need to bring the year of the vehicle down before getting a compromise from the custom.

The duty you placed on those vehicles is on the high side and ask yourself a question , if customs give you such a value for the vehicles, would u pay money such money?

agarawu23:
never knew you are a guru in car importation.

The op knew what he did but he isn't confessing.
This are kind of people honest agent will give price to clear cars but they will be looking for the cheapest price not knowing this price are fixed (only expert agent in the line can reduce "little" money for u but not to the extent of clearing a 2009 Nissan 600k sad

I just pray debt won't hook the op cos the more his container stay with custom, the higher the demurrage.

But I won't blame him since he is importing cars for the first time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Banks Deliberately Flood Market With Dirty Naira Notes—cbn / Fire Outbreak At Abakaliki Rice Mill Company (Photos) / If You Earn 2.5m Everymonth How Do You Invest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.