Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment (24003 Views)

DSS Crackdown: Judgements That Landed Judges In Trouble / This CJN Statement Weeks Ago Was A Pointer To The Supreme Court Judgements / APC ‘influencing’ Tribunal Judgements Is Worse Than Corruption, Fayose Counsels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by VOICEOFJUSTICE: 9:01am On Feb 04, 2016
Mumu,

aren't you tired of wastage of time, money, resources and lives?

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by dustydee: 9:01am On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty:
I am not an APC groupie. Neither am I a PDP zombie. I have been a strong critic of the Buhari govt. I have opened threads to lambast the current APC government.

However. The truth must be told. It is shameful that the supreme court will affirm elections that both the national and international communities have condemned for the mindless rigging that the marred the election.

Two case studies are the Rivers and akwa ibom state governorship elections that were marred with electoral malpractices. both the tribunal and the court of appeal validated the fact thar bothe elections were rigged without an iota of conscience. yet the supreme court shamelessly validated those rigged elections to the surprise of Nigerians and the world at last.

The supreme court judgement of late has become a national and international embarrassment. And our highest court in the land is beginning to lose their reputation.

The supreme court is beginning to emerge as the greaest threat to free and fair elections in Nigeria.

Mixty

Whilst I agree with you that justice seems not to have been done, our laws also need to be amended to avoid a repeat of this in the future. If not then we are likely to see more violence during elections as it will be winner takes all whether it was free and fair or not.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Tem99: 9:03am On Feb 04, 2016
@ Mixty and other pro-APC. Let us not be bias, let us always reason before posting anything online. Looking it from this view, supreme court upheld elections of Ogun, Oyo, Lagos and other northern states that were held in April 2015, the same day elections were held in SS and SE and opposition parties that charged to court in SW nd northern states pointed out similar reasons that APC in SS nd SE did also but Supreme court upheld the elections in those states. Why is that you must wail when it is the turn of elections in SE and SS?

What is good for the goose in SW and Northern States is also good for the gander in SE and SS states?

My opinion.
Tem99.

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by SweetSoup(m): 9:03am On Feb 04, 2016
Buhari only influence the court judgement when it doesn't go the wailers way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by correctyourself(m): 9:04am On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty:
I am not an APC groupie. Neither am I a PDP zombie. I have been a strong critic of the Buhari govt. I have opened threads to lambast the current APC government.

However. The truth must be told. It is shameful that the supreme court will affirm elections that both the national and international communities have condemned for the mindless rigging that the marred the election.

Two case studies are the Rivers and akwa ibom state governorship elections that were marred with electoral malpractices. both the tribunal and the court of appeal validated the fact thar bothe elections were rigged without an iota of conscience. yet the supreme court shamelessly validated those rigged elections to the surprise of Nigerians and the world at last.

The supreme court judgement of late has become a national and international embarrassment. And our highest court in the land is beginning to lose their reputation.

The supreme court is beginning to emerge as the greaest threat to free and fair elections in Nigeria.

Mixty

So because of international community S/Court shouldn't do what is right? Are we living for them? were you not in Nigeria when these election matters that were supposed to be heard in same state were moved to Abuja and how people were being intimidated and arrested? S/Court is where I knew that nobody can intimidate because of their knowledge, experience, years in service and not afraid of their job security, hence; they do their job without fear or favour.

Its a pity that some of you still want to be slave to International Community upon all the opportunities to gain knowledge in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Objektive: 9:07am On Feb 04, 2016
SEE PAINMENT NA......................

KEEP LAUGHING MY BROTHER.....HYPOCRISY IS WHEN YOU ARE SATISFIED WHEN THE SUPREME COURT HOLDS THAT CARD READERS ARE NOT PART OF OUR ELECTORAL ACT IN LAGOS STATE BUT YOU EXPECT IT TO BE PART OF OUR ELECTORAL ACT IN RIVERS AND AKWA IBOM.......

THIS IS NOT FEDERAL CHARACTER THAT IS LOPSIDED

THIS IS NOT CATCHMENT AREA THAT IS LOPSIDED.

WHAT IS GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GENDER.

STOP CONSOLING YOURSELF OVER MRS ODILI COS SHE WAS NOT PART OF THE DECISION.

STOP MAKING ZOMBIES FEEL CHEATED....................THEY HAVE ALREADY BENEFITED FROM THIS PROCESS IN LAGOS, OGUN. OYO ETC

CACAWA:
that is not how jurisprudence works.

You can't punish a Trial Judge because you do not agree with his opinion.

If proof of bribery is substantiated, so be it. But to say because he felt party A was right, and you at the supreme court feel part B was right, so the juniour judge must be punished...what impetus.

The only reason the Supreme court is arm twisted into making this sort of decision is because of the mistake it made in the Rivers case.

In the Rivers case, they held that the use of Card reader was not a constitutional provision and so cannot be tendered as evidence as to whether or not an election truly held or didn't.

That opinion was enough to make all riggers win their case.

This opinion is against what the Tribunals and appeal Courts held, and although one may argue that truly the card reader was not mentioned in the electoral act or constitution, it is understandable that the act grants INEC the right to organise it's affairs. Hence, any method it deems fit for Identifying a registered voter should become Law and Binding.

When I heard that Fmr Gov. Peter Odili's wife is a Justice of the Supreme Court...I just LAUGHED

2 Likes

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by duality(m): 9:07am On Feb 04, 2016
The person who put this on the front page, sure has a problem with who won at the SC period.

whether the @op claim not to be a zombie or not is irrelevant. The @op did not open a thread on the various disjointed rulings at the lower courts. Unless @Mixty pretends not to know what was happening at the lower courts. The Fact is EVERYONE WHO IS NOT PARTISAN knew that something was wrong with most decisions of the lower courts. If there are no precedence the process is pron to manipulation.

One thing is sure, the SC judgments will all align.

Look at what happened in Taraba, were the judge even ruled beyond what was presented in court. The @OP didn't open threads on that.

We know were the @op and the person that pushed this to the home page belong.

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Nobody: 9:10am On Feb 04, 2016
aimuan:
which of the fruit are u taking about,is pawpaw,mango,carrot or banana?

The forbidden fruit.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by jsb(m): 9:11am On Feb 04, 2016
WHY NOT WAIT FOR THEIR REASONS WHICH THEY SAID WILL BE GIVEN BY 15th of Feb.2016..And do learn to be a sports man your side must not always win..
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by zurine(f): 9:11am On Feb 04, 2016
wow
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Goke7: 9:13am On Feb 04, 2016
I think its all about politics and to reduce the tension currently in the country. The ss and se have a lot of antagonism against the present FG. Sometimes I know Judges looks at the prevalent environmental circumstances before giving their judgement, forget all those bunkum of evidence before the court, I think all the supreme court judgments is just to allow peace to reign in the ss and se as the Government of the day needs to be more focused on better issues of Governance, the ss and se are still finding it difficult to accept the ruling Government and the pdp are still behaving as if they are still the ruling party. The supreme court Judges may have used their sole discretion not to heat up the polity so we can have peace for now.

Finally its time to move on and neglect all politics of bitterness and bigotry, at least the ss and se can allow everyone rest now since their preferred parties are ruling their states. God bless Nigeria and let's all start holding our states Governors to be more accountable to us.

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by chima4UK(m): 9:17am On Feb 04, 2016
Youu nailed it .
mathelo:
lgnorance sometime should be hidden in the box of silence. But when the carrier is enhanced with such audacity burried in confidence, this is what we see. Who told Op that our court of law is subject to societal sentiment and opinion of international communities. If not because our citizens lack patriotism why must opinion of any society take precedece over our Supreme Court. Op Court of Law is not Court of opinion and court of law works with evidence
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by dechiome(m): 9:28am On Feb 04, 2016
[quote

When I heard that Fmr Gov. Peter Odili's wife is a Justice of the Supreme Court...I just LAUGHED[/quote]

That is the master key !!!
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Blaizeless: 9:32am On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty:

Mixty

Just ask urself diz simple question.
How do innocent Nigerians go to jail for crimes they did not commit?

The answer.

When enough evidences are gathered against a suspect and he/she hhas no evidences to counter the allegations against him/her, for sure he/she is jail bound.

In the case of these governors, they are the suspects yet the evidences brought against them are not are not holding any ground.

Why wailing?
Go get brain or better still u ask that Daura President for one.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 04, 2016
Let get the fact right. Under normal circumstances, the law does not operates on emotions, media reports, or the opinion of the majority. The law operates on facts and figures presented and seeks interpretations from the constitution and electoral acts. I know all along that some of the judgements by the election tribunal and appeal courts cannot stand the test of impartial legal scrutiny. The judges of the supreme court lives up to the expectation of being seasoned and incorruptible.
The shame of the nation is not the supreme court, but the apeal courts and election tribunal that were highly compromised.

For example, the electoral acts gave INEC the power to cancel an election if there is enough evidence that there is widespread violence that will significantly affects the outcome of the election. I listen to Jega carefully during collaition of the presidential election. He aknowledged that there were reported cases of violence in Rivers election but it is not sufficient to significantly affect the outcome. If INEC has given an election clean bill and the party agents signed the results, it becomes difficult to ask for cancellation.

APC also present the issue of malfunction card reader, but unfortunately our constitution did not recognised card reader malfunction as basis to invalidate voting. Remember that PDP also present the same aguements againt Lagos governorship election and lost. How do we expect APC to win in Rivers on the same premise!
The supreme court is just saving nigeria from anarchy. Remember in the future people will always point to the judgements of the supreme court as precidence. Let the politicians work hard and get majority votes and not think they can come in thru the backdoor against the wish of the voting majority. I am waiting for the supreme court judgement of Kogi State.
In respective of my party and ideology, the rule of law must prevail so that it will not come to haunt us in the future!
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by anynaira: 9:48am On Feb 04, 2016
Are you looking for blood to suck , may be that is why you're looking for cancellation of those elections so as to cause killings and destruction of properties, so that you can benefit... but God know how to frustrate the tokens of liers.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Nobody: 10:00am On Feb 04, 2016
snailspeed:

You are talking nonsense. The card reader is the biggest election rigging tool ever invented! The first and most effective way to rig an election in Nigeria today is to disenfranchise the voters through the card readers. That is one rigging you cannot even fight against. It was used perfectly in the last election. But guess what? Kano state had over two million votes cast but just about 400k voters were accredited by the card readers. So at the end, what Jega has done is that he has put the biggest rigging tool in the hands of inec and the executive. This will be used especially in the presidential elections. That is why Buhari has put his own person as the inec chairman.
Despite all your epistle,you made no sense.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Forwetinnah: 10:10am On Feb 04, 2016
The irregularities in the North were not seen by the so called international community right? The death of the Inec chair in Kano went on voice mail right? The gross disrespect for electoral laws in other states wasn't seen...suddenly all hell is loose because Wike won at the Supreme court?

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by 3pside: 10:17am On Feb 04, 2016
CACAWA:
that is not how jurisprudence works.

You can't punish a Trial Judge because you do not agree with his opinion.

If proof of bribery is substantiated, so be it. But to say because he felt party A was right, and you at the supreme court feel part B was right, so the juniour judge must be punished...what impetus.

The only reason the Supreme court is arm twisted into making this sort of decision is because of the mistake it made in the Rivers case.

In the Rivers case, they held that the use of Card reader was not a constitutional provision and so cannot be tendered as evidence as to whether or not an election truly held or didn't.

That opinion was enough to make all riggers win their case.

This opinion is against what the Tribunals and appeal Courts held, and although one may argue that truly the card reader was not mentioned in the electoral act or constitution, it is understandable that the act grants INEC the right to organise it's affairs. Hence, any method it deems fit for Identifying a registered voter should become Law and Binding.

When I heard that Fmr Gov. Peter Odili's wife is a Justice of the Supreme Court...I just LAUGHED
So wat did Odili's wife do she stepped aside cos of ur type..supreme court gave a ruling dat is fair how can d appeal court give a ruling n Lagos nd den change d rule n Rivers.So is d chief justice also biased.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by asha80(m): 10:23am On Feb 04, 2016
Goke7:
I think its all about politics and to reduce the tension currently in the country. The ss and se have a lot of antagonism against the present FG. Sometimes I know Judges looks at the prevalent environmental circumstances before giving their judgement, forget all those bunkum of evidence before the court, I think all the supreme court judgments is just to allow peace to reign in the ss and se as the Government of the day needs to be more focused on better issues of Governance, the ss and se are still finding it difficult to accept the ruling Government and the pdp are still behaving as if they are still the ruling party. The supreme court Judges may have used their sole discretion not to heat up the polity so we can have peace for now.

Finally its time to move on and neglect all politics of bitterness and bigotry, at least the ss and se can allow everyone rest now since their preferred parties are ruling their states. God bless Nigeria and let's all start holding our states Governors to be more accountable to us.
emotional hogwash..the appeal court in Lagos set the ball rolling when they ruled that card reader(and rightly so) was not part of the electoral law..let the present inec and nass amend the law to include card reader

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by eodavids(m): 10:26am On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty, Mixty, Mixty,
I had to call you three times because repeatition is meant to emphasize a point.
Common sense should tell you that justice was done in the states you mentioned because we all know now is not the time for coercing the judiciary or bribing and if there should arise any such case, the party in power at the centre shoulbe be firstly suspected. PMB has been silent and can be presumed to be neutral-but you as an apc supporter and others like you should learn to respect The Supreme cuort of Nigeria because the SC Justices are beyond your criticisms.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Amanwulu1(m): 10:29am On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty:

Mixty
op u're right n at d same time u're more wrong dan u're right bc courts do not pass judgemaent based on ppl's opinion n conscience but on available concrete (not hearsay)facts. D lower courts must hv used hearsay n conscience in their ruling.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by arcnomec(m): 10:34am On Feb 04, 2016
salisy:
My friend, politics aside, can you swear that the election is those states is free and fair up to 70 percent?

Quote one election in Nigeria that has been free and fair ever since you were born....

Was the supreme court judgement based on the irregularities of the election or what?,this are sane questions you should ask yourself before you just write what you know nothing about.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by ekolina(m): 10:41am On Feb 04, 2016
kingphilip:
thanks for the enlightenment I really appreciate
What enlightenment? The pronoucement was first made in the case of ambode vs agbaje.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by AliyuAbdullahi(m): 11:08am On Feb 04, 2016
If APC should take over all the states in Nigeria there is no doubt the would end like PDP, Allow them to compete so the can take their positions serious.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by Laid2001: 11:20am On Feb 04, 2016
@OP
I agree with you but we can only appeal to God on this issue!

Yet I like the countenance of PMB on it so far!. He will not even interfere nor meddle with the Judiciary. Let them hang themselves!

I just hope, this is not how the Supreme court will be allowing our yam eaters to go scot-free like it freed Bode George and absolve him of the offences he had served jail term for!
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by judondasylva(m): 11:21am On Feb 04, 2016
hmmmm I don't support you
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by sparkwil(m): 11:58am On Feb 04, 2016
Your insanity is legendary.
How dare you make accusations without facts.
I don't even think you live close to any of these states else you would have applied caution to your madness.
Buhari is an undemocratic evil that must be stopped.

Thank God for the supreme court.
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by karokit(m): 11:59am On Feb 04, 2016
snailspeed:

You are talking nonsense. The card reader is the biggest election rigging tool ever invented! The first and most effective way to rig an election in Nigeria today is to disenfranchise the voters through the card readers. That is one rigging you cannot even fight against. It was used perfectly in the last election. But guess what? Kano state had over two million votes cast but just about 400k voters were accredited by the card readers. So at the end, what Jega has done is that he has put the biggest rigging tool in the hands of inec and the executive. This will be used especially in the presidential elections. That is why Buhari has put his own person as the inec chairman.

Dis has been my own problem since this Mata of card reader came up, has anyone looked into d 1.9m votes of kano state, I believe d card reader did not account for all, if we re to go by d card reader all d election in the country will b nullified because of over voting
Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by NOLONGTIN1(m): 12:14pm On Feb 04, 2016

The OP said he is a strong critic of PMB/APC govt, I scanner through all the threads he/she created on NL and all I could see was a Zombie

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by saintandsinnerz: 12:31pm On Feb 04, 2016
salisy:
My friend, politics aside, can you swear that the election is those states is free and fair up to 70 percent?
And can you swear with your life that the election in those states were not free and fair based on the 70 percent mark you alluded to? By the way, were you in those states to know if the elections there were not free and fair? If the answers to these questions are NO, then shut up because you don't know what you are talking about!

1 Like

Re: Recent Supreme Court Judgements - International Embarrassment by remirez07(m): 12:53pm On Feb 04, 2016
Mixty:

Mixty
ogeni u be fake... lo su.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Edo 2020: Adams Oshiomole's Residence In Benin Attacked / Fani-Kayode Calls Buhari “An Uncircumcised Philistine” / No Money For Peace Corps But There Is For Cattle Colony - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.