Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe (949 Views)

Europeans Wrongly Believe Igboland Is A Region For Criminals — Ebede / Africa Must Establish Its Own Inter'nl Criminal Court To Try Europeans-mugabe / SE/SS: The New Order We Must Establish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by janzguy: 8:45am On Feb 04, 2016
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, who is also the African Union (AU) chair, says Africa must establish its own International Criminal Court (ICC) which would be mandated to prosecute Western leaders who have committed crimes
on the continent.

According to the state-owned Chronicle newspaper, Mugabe said it was high time Africa set up a criminal court which would seek justice for “serious” war crimes and crimes
against humanity committed by the West, particularity during the colonial era.

“They committed crimes, colonial crimes galore – the slaughter of our people and all that imprisonment… I have a case, why was I imprisoned for 11 years? We forgave them, but perhaps we’ve not done ourselves justice… You set up the ICC, we set our ICC to try Europeans, to try Mr [George] Bush and Mr [Tony] Blair,” Mugabe was quoted as saying. Mugabe said the International Criminal Court was a court for Western countries, dispensing Western injustice on Africans.

MASS WITHDRAWAL.......

Mugabe said this while addressing journalists at the Harare international airport where he was seeing off his Malian counterpart Ibrahim Boubacar Keita after his three-day state visit to the southern African country. Keita concurred, adding it was “up to Africans, not Europeans or Americans to judge their leaders”.

Mugabe’s remarks came a few days after Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir evaded an ICC arrest order by leaving early from an African Union summit that was held in Johannesburg.

At the summit, Mugabe wanted a mass withdrawal of African states from the ICC.

The veteran leader harshly criticised the ICC after Al-Bashir
dodged his arrest, saying the international court was not wanted in Africa.
“This is not the headquarters of the ICC, we do not want it in this region at all,” Mugabe said.

Mugabe also took a swipe at the “foreign” funded non-governmental organisations (NGOs), whom he said were angling for Al-Bashir’s arrest.

www.divineloveudorji..co.ke/2016/02/africa-must-establish-its-own.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by ELTON123(m): 8:47am On Feb 04, 2016
Mugabe my boy keep it up cheesy

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Frank3n2(m): 8:48am On Feb 04, 2016
Supported!!!! But this man dey worry sha grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by chriskosherbal(m): 8:50am On Feb 04, 2016
That is a fact. See link below
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 04, 2016
African judiciary is to blame for the lapses.Take for instance,if a man steals goat in nigeria a judge will convict him and sentence him to 10 years imprisonment.But politicians and rtd army generals have been looting billions and trillions of naira and none of them have serve jail term.They either pay fine or detain for one week.Thereafter, the case died.
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by sdindan: 8:56am On Feb 04, 2016
That's My Guy.
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Ven97: 8:57am On Feb 04, 2016
That is truth as a bitter pill

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Pidggin(f): 8:59am On Feb 04, 2016
What do dictators know about justice

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by pacino26(m): 9:44am On Feb 04, 2016
A senseible point valid only when we have a working justice system in Africa. Not to forget we'd have our own interpol to extradite the white leaders. Lol
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Newbiee: 9:46am On Feb 04, 2016
Yes
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Rossikk(m): 10:10am On Feb 04, 2016
If we had just 10 African leaders with the mentality of Mugabe, Africa will be more developed than Japan in under a decade.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Rossikk(m): 10:14am On Feb 04, 2016
Pidggin:
What do dictators know about justice
If Mugabe was not a 'dictator', the majority black population in Zimbabwe would still be slaves today, serving white overlords tea and biscuits in khaki shirts and shorts in their large estates of rich land stolen from the African population. Mugabe put an end to all that, by redistributing the land among the population. Sometimes 'democracy' is not what you need to get things done.

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 04, 2016
This man ain't playing with nobody. This is what Africa needs.

1 Like

Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Shymm3x: 10:40am On Feb 04, 2016
Rossikk:
If we had just 10 African leaders with the mentality of Mugabe, Africa will be more developed than Japan in under a decade.

In as much as I'm a big fan of Mugabe and I believe he's the last of an extinct breed of real African warriors - I think folks need to stop talking for the sake of it. Africa has no power to try anyone and there's absolutely no point playing to the gallery and ruffle feathers in the process. Yes, I agree that African countries need to pull out of ICC cos it's basically a tool by the West to keep fostering regime change everywhere. But just leave it there and focus on African unity. I'm sure he saw what happened to Gaddaffi - and the only reason why they haven't touched him is cos of South Africa and China.

China also has its own version of ICC and despite how powerful China is - how many folks have they tried from the West?
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Rossikk(m): 10:45am On Feb 04, 2016
Shymm3x:

China also has its own version of ICC and despite how powerful China is - how many folks have they tried from the West?
Can't think of many westerners who committed grave crimes in China of late, but there's no shortage of them in the case of Africa.
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Shymm3x: 10:50am On Feb 04, 2016
Rossikk:
Can't think of many westerners who committed grave crimes in China of late, but there's no shortage of them in the case of Africa.

Fair enough.

But is Africa even united to try anyone? And where's the power?

You've got a continent that's still carved up into servitude by different Western countries. Francophone Africa is still under France. Anglophone Africa is still under both the US and UK. North Africa is basically under the Arabs, save for Algeria. Then you've got the likes of Ethiopia, Rwanda et al under the US. Etc.

So how is that even going to work?
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by Rossikk(m): 11:14am On Feb 04, 2016
Shymm3x:

Fair enough.

But is Africa even united to try anyone? And where's the power?

You've got a continent that's still carved up into servitude by different Western countries. Francophone Africa is still under France. Anglophone Africa is still under both the US and UK. North Africa is basically under the Arabs, save for Algeria. Then you've got the likes of Ethiopia, Rwanda et al under the US. Etc.

So how is that even going to work?
I think you're making too much of this supposed political subservience of African states to the west. None of them will be acting unilaterally in an African ICC, which would in any case be empowered to act independently. It would simply be a court comprising jurists from across the continent. They would not be in the business of compelling accused persons to appear before them, even if Africa was all-powerful. The current ICC cannot compel anyone to come before it, whose country had not voluntarily signed up to it a priori. The African court will operate in a similar manner.
Re: Africa Must Establish Its Own I.C.C To Try Europeans - President Mugabe by orunto27: 12:38pm On Feb 04, 2016
International Criminal Court, as established presently at The Haque, is actually anathema to African Culture of Emancipation. I am visualising a time when an African leader might be judged inconsistently and brutally for not being gay. Just imagine a situation where a person like Mugabe is being arraigned before the Court, the Oyinbos would cook up all sorts of additional charges to discriminate and incriminate him. ICC is therefore, to all intent and purpose, a Coup to African Culture and conventional Justice system.
Mugabe has always been right. The A.U.should establish the African ICC to level up Cultural Justices as God would have wanted it since the Tower of Babel.

(1) (Reply)

What People Don’t Know About Kemi Adeosun / BREAKING NEWS: Sacked Bayelsa Speaker Returns To Assembly, As PDP Wins Rerun Ele / Governor Yahaya Bello Appoints Board Chairmen, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.