Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,568 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? (11075 Views)

Poll: did you hawk things

yes, I did: 53% (85 votes)
I didn't: 46% (75 votes)
This poll has ended

STRANGE: Evil Hawk Robs Market Woman In Benue Community / Palace Chiefs Sighted On The Streets Of Ife As Ooni's Burial Rites Begins / The True Black Hawk Down Documentary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2009
I hawked corn once with my cousin. And that was the first and last time i hawked cos a girl stole one from us each.
When we got home and the sum up of the money wasnt up to wat was expected, that was when we knew we werent smart enough to hawk. Not that we needed it though, just to spice up my boring life undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by skfa1: 2:07pm On Jul 03, 2009
@ Jeovy

We hawk the same thing together. Me and my sister used to be kerosene hawker, i used to carry 7 bottle while ma sister used to carry 14 bottles.

Thanks to God things are ok now, no more hawking.

1 Like

Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by sley4life(m): 2:16pm On Jul 03, 2009
No
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by sweetpain: 2:34pm On Jul 03, 2009
At age 8-9yrs, I hawked cold water in maltex bottles with plastic corks. However mum had to stop sending me out cos she was spending more treating me for toe injuries (usually complete nail avulsions) which was invariable when this particular child would go out to hawk.

I also made and hawked paper bags for self. All neighborhood kids were doin it, why not me. Of course that was when we were not busy lookin for roosting places of those mean hens for their free eggs.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Danchiks(m): 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2009
As 4me, I hawked the following?
1. Yam
2. Tomatoes
3. Vegetables
4. Clothes(wrappers)
5. Tokunbo Shoes
6. Garri
7. Fufu
8. Rice
9. Kerosene
10. Palm Oil
11. Groundnut Oil
, etc

The lists are endless.

But now, thank God, see where he has brought me 4rm and has taken me to.

Praise God
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by sosisi(f): 3:04pm On Jul 03, 2009
Wow,half of the people responding on the polls sold things?
Interesting!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by dominique(f): 3:23pm On Jul 03, 2009
@ topic
never hawked in my life. . .
it just saddens me to see so much people here has been subjected to child abuse. kudos to those that made something of themselves, cos for every one that came out successful, dozens have become decay of the society sad cry
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 03, 2009
To all those who really hawked, i salute your courage and determination to succeed. I never hawked, thank God i was sufficiently provided for.
Anyway, kids should be banned from hawking.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by dominique(f): 3:33pm On Jul 03, 2009
i agree, rules should be made to prosecute anyone who lets a child hawk on the streets at any time of the day.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by nickybayo(f): 3:41pm On Jul 03, 2009
i hawked garri
chop all my mother's money finish before she asked me to stop
i sell one bowl of it
i spent half a bowl
hahaha  grin grin grin grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by MyPeace(f): 4:11pm On Jul 03, 2009
pres-elect:

hauwa cool down. one day when i was 8yrs old, i was hawking [i]odobiri ofuchie[/i] one lady bought all my stuff and paid me less, she asked me to come inside and collect the remaining money but i had to call my aunt who went and took the money. what did a lady want from an 8 yr old. by 7pm? she had the money in her purse, i saw it. but she wont give me. i even offered to give her my friend toshman for sex grin but she wont accept. she insisted she wants me

so women also misbehaved cool

Are u sure u really hawked odobiri ofuchie and amu mbekwe!!!  lol u are taking me back to those days grin grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by ifyalways(f): 4:13pm On Jul 03, 2009
I did not hawk but used to go help my granny sell Crayfish and dried fish at her stall at the mkt.
@My peace and darfur,whats "odubiri ofuchie"?
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:14pm On Jul 03, 2009
I hawked bread with my elder brother.

I'll never forget that experience. It was for a short while, say one or two months.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by walakolobo: 4:17pm On Jul 03, 2009
@Poster

Do you think everyone comes from a poor background? That question is an affront and assault to my parents who worked hard to make sure they provide all i need for me as a child.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by HC: 4:21pm On Jul 03, 2009
Nope. I have some friends who hawked after school all through thier childhood.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by chooxism: 4:23pm On Jul 03, 2009
[color=#990000]  You can't beat my own. When I was around 4,5,6,. I used to hawk chilled bottled drinks in a popular market in P.h. called Ikoku. My granny had a big shop there, and so I would go about screaming " buy cold minerals". and when I'm true selling the content of my 4-litre custard bucket container, I'll go back to base and get a a plate of custard and two fried eggs, then back to hustling. Mind you I was doing it for fun.

One time a man ran into me( I think I actually ran into the man(so it's my fault) but till tomorrow I would not admit that), and my custard bucket fell off my head and crash went its content- I cried and held the man till he paid, although with help from on-lookers.  Poor man, paying for a crime he did not commit.  What was I supposed to do, I was too young to consider morality and rectitude, I just had to protect my hot dish of reward.

TRUE STORY.
[/color]
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by okokomeji: 4:23pm On Jul 03, 2009
I used to hawk:
1) cooked rice wrapped in leafs
2) Halloween masks during xmas, made by myself
3) Ready made clothes during festive period
4) cooked sweet potatoes
5) Life Odere koko or pigeon and sell it
6) cold minerals
7) cold  pure water not in satchet but in little nylon bag
cool uncooked yam
9) life chickens and ducks during xmas & new year
10) Petrol and diesel during scarcity --- this is where money at though!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by MyPeace(f): 4:26pm On Jul 03, 2009
walakolobo:

@Poster

Do you think everyone comes from a poor background? That question is an affront and assault to my parents who worked hard to make sure they provide all i need for me as a child.

jumb and pass!

ifyalways:

I did not hawk but used to go help my granny sell Crayfish and dried fish at her stall at the mkt.
@My peace and darfur,whats "odubiri ofuchie"?

its puff puff.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by ifyalways(f): 4:27pm On Jul 03, 2009
MyPeace:

its puff puff.
oh thanks. smiley
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jul 03, 2009
walakolobo:

@Poster

It's a pity they didn't provide you with a brain.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Bashbaba(m): 4:36pm On Jul 03, 2009
This topic actually brings to mind my humble beginning and reminds me years of sufferness,hardship and toil.As a fatherless child with a focus but illiterate mum,I needed to boycott prep after school hours to sell poff poff,bons,moyin moyin and the most frequent one, ''Akara'' (Cake beans) so that she could actually be able to pay my school fees at Primary and Juniour Sec Sch level.At higher sch level,I had to use bicycle to do the stuff.

Sad enough,there was an incident ( I was nearly kdnapped for ritual only for God and one woman's intervention) that happened quite years ago that I refused to tell my mum because it could have discouraged her from giving me anything to sell.It could have probably stopped my education.

Funny enough during my marriage ceremony, I was carrying my mum in my car while we passed that bushy area and I told my her the incident of the yesteryears.She was like melting!

Looking back at those years now,I nearly weep.But whosoever that hates to be reminded the sufferness of the past,I feel is enjoing the present.Thank God.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by walakolobo: 4:40pm On Jul 03, 2009
michelin89:

Its a pity yours went inside your moda foking, smelly pu ssy. what brain can reside in that shape of head in that picture of yours? Flat and shapeless.

You get brain na im you dey hawk your pu ssy at the age of five?
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2009
Topic.
I no hawk.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 03, 2009
walakolobo:

Its a pity yours went inside your moda foking, smelly pu ssy. what brain can reside in that shape of head in that picture of yours? Flat and shapeless.

You get brain na im you dey hawk your pu ssy at the age of five?

You just confirmed my previous post!

michelin89:

Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by RichyBlacK(m): 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2009
michelin89:

Thanks!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by tytylayor: 4:58pm On Jul 03, 2009
i dnt hawk on d street, but i take tins to school during my sec school dayz, and it was very interesting wink
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by skfa1: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2009
Everybody is a hawker,  grin  grin  grin

tytylayor:

i dnt hawk on d street, but i take tins to school during my sec school dayz, and it was very interesting wink

Oh ,are u the one that used to sell us gala in those days, lol grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Okwyjesus(m): 5:28pm On Jul 03, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm stages of life. l hawked Pop Corn and Pure Water in Aba after my GCE exam but only to make some cool money and keep myself busy after school sat.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by kok(m): 5:32pm On Jul 03, 2009
YES I hawked o!

Sliced Bread on the traffic
Pure-water
Garden Egg
Groundnut
Santana

I even fried and sold Akara, Yam and its accessories  cheesy

No be small thing o but God dey true-true!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by kok(m): 5:44pm On Jul 03, 2009
walakolobo:

@Poster

So howfar have you gone to be sure you will be able to do same to your own pikins? you type end up spoilt and corrupt, just as you have confirmed with your post. Moi-moi like u!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by tkb417(m): 6:02pm On Jul 03, 2009
eja yiyan (smoked fish) grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2009
tkb417:

eja yiyan (smoked fish) grin

I loved that fish.

It was sweet eaten with garri! cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Deji Of Akure Dies At 63 / Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? / Ethiopian Would Like To Know More About The Nigerian Culture.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.