Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,534 members, 7,823,319 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? (11085 Views)

Poll: did you hawk things

yes, I did: 53% (85 votes)
I didn't: 46% (75 votes)
This poll has ended

STRANGE: Evil Hawk Robs Market Woman In Benue Community / Palace Chiefs Sighted On The Streets Of Ife As Ooni's Burial Rites Begins / The True Black Hawk Down Documentary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 04, 2009
*Hauwa*:

i see the working here for us students same as the hawkers.

You mean working students are hawkers or some students hawk?
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Hauwa1: 2:23pm On Jul 04, 2009
grin you cant hawk in the west (oh i heard they do in texas).

i mean the same type of suffer head work grin

michelin89:

You mean working students are hawkers or some students hawk?
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by zenatta: 2:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
@hackney#28

[quReally? some of you guys are lying that you hawked something just to add a dangerous edge to your
otherwise boring lives.
ote][quote][/quote]

hawking may hv helped, maybe to get me off my boring schedule, same old same old.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by zenatta: 2:52pm On Jul 04, 2009
just read osisi's contribution on page 2 (sorry donot know how to quote)

problem is I was too 'comfortable' in life and its haunting me now. 'course I knw plenty it worked for. I must have abused mine. I'm careful with my daughter though. she may not hawk but she sure will be stronger, more determined and more focused than me.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by azeeza(f): 3:01pm On Jul 04, 2009
;d
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by azeeza(f): 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2009
akara and moimoi.i hawked akara in the morning b4 goin 2 school and moimoi after school.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by spikedcylinder: 3:23pm On Jul 04, 2009
Wow at some of these responses. shocked cry

Closest thing I know to a person who hawked was a friend of mine, we went to the same secondary school and she was so so so smart. She was one of the best maths students in my school.
It came as a shock when in my final year of Uni (bear in mind that I lost 3 years between secondary school and uni), I found her somewhere near my house selling recharge cards. At this time, she was still taking JAMB and didn't have any pre-uni dertifications.
I felt so bad for her. She's in UI now sha.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by PurestBoy(m): 4:35pm On Jul 04, 2009
I hawked groundnut from my primary schl days till JS 3 around Dugbe and Aleshinloye markets in Ibadan, Look at me now, I'm a proud owner of Honda EOD at my earlier 20s and will be graduating this year. Just can't stop thanking God
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by deor03(m): 5:07pm On Jul 04, 2009
waooh,

This thread brings tears close to my eyes.

I did not hawk but I was a chicken seller in the market. In the image below, that used to be me.

Thank God for God. Today, I am a graduate, masters degree holder from the UK, and presently a manager in a telecoms firm in Nigeria.

Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by tayope(m): 5:20pm On Jul 04, 2009
The Stage of my life that I Enjoy most was when I was HAwking Bread, cool
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by zenatta: 5:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
@deor03 #168
(a picture is worth a thousand words). Did you, really?
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by peteroby(m): 5:55pm On Jul 04, 2009
i did hawk egg
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by deor03(m): 6:01pm On Jul 04, 2009
zenatta:

@deor03 #168
(a picture is worth a thousand words). Did you, really?

Yeah, I did. ( That's not me though, but i used to be in his shoes)
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Hauwa1: 6:04pm On Jul 04, 2009
i wish i could get a hold of those chicken for a nice stew and BBQ.

not this paper they call chicken here
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by na2day2(m): 6:44pm On Jul 04, 2009
unfortunately i didnt, but i strongly wished i did. most kids that did have a great instinct for survival. well, maybe in my next life embarassed embarassed
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by oge4real(f): 6:49pm On Jul 04, 2009
I really appreciate God for my childhood. Did nothing of such, though I'm not from a wealthy family. cool cool cool
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by FBS: 8:19pm On Jul 04, 2009
Did sell some eggs (in my area- just a for a day or 2) from our poultry back then .  wink

It was quite an experience.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by MrCrackles(m): 8:24pm On Jul 04, 2009
FBS:

Did sell (egg in my area- just a for a day or 2) from our poultry back then . wink

I can imagine! grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by dominique(f): 8:28pm On Jul 04, 2009
FBS:

Did sell (egg in my area- just a for a day or 2) from our poultry back then .  wink

i bet you broke some cheesy tongue
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by MrCrackles(m): 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2009
Fan yogo yes!! grin
Gala yes!!!! grin
Pure water yes!!!! grin
FBS how did you draw people's attention to your broiler layed eggs grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by FBS: 8:32pm On Jul 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

I can imagine! grin
yeah but its all good. I can tell my kids that their was a hard man. grin wink

dominique:

i bet you broke some cheesy tongue
Nope. breaking some would have meant reduction in liquid cash.  tongue grin
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Michael13(m): 8:33pm On Jul 04, 2009
i hawked snakes, smoked snakes and some of my customers never knew it was snakes, whenevr they ask me i just tell them they are just eels

cool
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by FBS: 8:34pm On Jul 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

Fan yogo yes!! grin
Gala yes!!!! grin
Pure water yes!!!! grin
FBS how did you draw people's attention to your broiler layed eggs grin

Brashy, mehn I had to improvise. Picture me with a tray of eggs on my head and shouting: Fresh Eggs. Fresh [b]Broiler [/b]eggs. cheesy grin

But Thank God, that was some many years ago. smiley
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by FBS: 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2009
Michael 13:

i hawked snakes, smoked snakes and some of my customers never knew it was snakes, whenevr they ask me i just tell them they are just eels

cool

whaooo. shocked
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by dominique(f): 8:53pm On Jul 04, 2009
Michael 13:

cool

i believe you tongue. . . feel free to hawk them here on nl too cheesy
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by AloyEmeka9: 9:07pm On Jul 04, 2009
How come none of you hawked ganja as a child?. No ajegunle ex urchins here?
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by chiogo(f): 9:19pm On Jul 04, 2009
Chei!! Na wa oo.
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by bandely(m): 9:33pm On Jul 04, 2009
Never hawked, though not from a wealthy family. I no e go better one day wink
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by Theblessed(f): 12:45am On Jul 05, 2009
Absolutely!  Don't advocate it either but the experience can strengthen you both ways.  It did for me, and without it, how could I have been street wise enough to get to where I am today coming from a back ground such as mine without 'Abraham as God father'. Tell me!!!! Boy, it has its ups and downs but it did open my eyes, though.  Otherwise, I would have still been there today married to 85 year old grand father with 10 wives and I the 11th plus my 20 children.  Thank goodness, it didn't happen.   

Onyekwe, chi ya ekwe!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by pete(m): 3:13am On Jul 05, 2009
[b]This topic sends a chill of nostalgic feelings down my feet. I laughed at some posts with some tears too. I mean,I never remembered my experience in that line,but wow!, I did hawk. My mom who runs a store would send me out to hawk matches-lighter sticks-, I sold in rolls and sometimes would sell the match boxes too. It was fun back then, but somewhat sad thinking about it now. The experience was instructive,no doubt it helped.
Parents weren't poor so to speak. All the money I made was for me and me only.Had money to buy pair of city jeans back then. I was around 14-16. boy! look at me today, God is been great.
As an adult today,those experience is made me a better person.Though I did that for a few months,my mom made sure I was doing something always to keep me busy and earning at the same time.Today, I mean Today, I'm a force by the grace of God.I have US senators writing to my office,have a US govt. car,represented the US govt. in Japan,Australia and Singapore,can walk in the white house,no questions asked-secret clearance-,God is been great. My mom now lives in a huge home in California,thanks to the instructive hawkings, lol. I must say that, you do not hawk your way to where I'm today, you just faith into it by GRACE, [/b]
[color=Black][/color]
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by koolsasy(f): 9:19am On Jul 05, 2009
no, i didnt hv 2 hawk netin, thou,there was a day i went out wiv a close friend to d market.we saw a guy hawking malt drink and we bought.
i gave the boy 500 naira and he wwas meant to give a change of 300 naira but he was stalling sayin dat he didnt hv change and all.my friend was like can u imagine!!!!!my friend den told me dat d boy is stallin cos he is hawkin a good tin like malt, he himself hawked [i][/i]ogogoro,palmwine,and kola nut wen he was young.lol

i then realised that not evry one i coonsider in my "status" now were born with silver spoons, some people had to suffer first!!!
Re: Did You Hawk Anything On The Streets As A Child ? by vikiviko(m): 10:13am On Jul 05, 2009
Fond Memories, Did i hawk ? Me i know remember oooh.

Na my Mama go answer the question because i dey run away anytime she say make i go sell fish,or dry Okpono,Yam.

Failure to go sell means no feeding Money the next morning to School. I now remember i hawked , yes .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? / Ethiopian Would Like To Know More About The Nigerian Culture. / Nigeria: Are We Really That Bad and Beyond Repair?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.