Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos (15708 Views)

"My Experience As A Taxify Driver In Abuja" / You No Longer Need A Lawyer To Register Your Business - CAC / See How To Register As An Uber Partner In Lagos Or Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by naijacutee(f): 5:56pm On Feb 04, 2016
Short Version:

What is Uber?
Uber is a technologically-driven taxi company which helps customers hail comfortable taxis from anywhere, using just a smartphone application. The customer downloads the Uber app on his/her phone and when a taxi is required, just pushes a button to request one. Using a special algorithm, the app then matches the customer to the nearest pre-verified taxi and provides a fare estimate. The app also automatically charges the customers registered card and the driver also gets paid directly into his bank account weekly, so no cash ever needs to be exchanged. After the ride, the customer receives a fare breakdown by e-mail.

How do I register as an Uber driver in Lagos?
To join Uber, you will need the following:
A 2008 or newer car in very good condition. Following a successful application, Uber will require that you bring the vehicle for inspection before activation on their system.
You will then need to register online as a partner (partners.uber.com.), and then set up 3 sub areas: 1. your bank details 2. yourself as a driver 3. your vehicle.

1. Bank Details
You will also need to update your bank information with: Your name as it appears on the account/Account number/ Swift code of your bank branch. (If you don’t know your swift code, just ask the next time you’re at the branch)

2. Driver Details
Drivers Licence: this can be obtained from the FRSC.
Lagos state drivers institute ID card: this can be obtained from the Lagos State Drivers Institute.
Background check: this is carried out after the driver has been accepted and has completed the training. It costs ₦20,000 but can be paid in 5 instalments of ₦4,000 each. It is a check Uber carries out with the police, which demonstrates that you have no criminal convictions or charges against your name, and is for the safety of passengers.
If the driver is not the vehicle owner, you will also need a contract agreement between the driver and the owner.

3. Vehicle Details
Vehicle Licence
Certificate of roadworthiness (You can get this from the FRSC)
Tint permit if your windows are tinted.
Proof of ownership
Comprehensive Insurance. Uber has partnered with First Bank Insurance, Mansard Insurance, CompareInsurance and Myautogenius.com so these will know exactly what you are talking about. As a rough guide to insurance costs, a search on myautogenius.com for fully comprehensive insurance for a 2008 vehicle costing ₦1.5m returns insurance costs of about ₦60,000 a year with Aiico. This covers you in the event of loss of personal effects, fire, flood, 3rd party damage, accidental damage, theft, towing etc. It is also a good idea to check with your bank to see if they provide comprehensive insurance for vehicles as you might get a good deal through them.

4. Others
Certificate of Incorporation. You are self-employed and not an employee of Uber, so you will need to register a company for this purpose.
You will need to be comfortable using a smart phone with GPS in addition to your local knowledge of Lagos. You can either bring your own smartphone (iPhone 4s or newer/Samsng S3 or newer) or Uber provides you with a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini for a ₦50,000 deposit (or 5 instalments of ₦10,000). Uber will also deduct ₦1500 per week for data on the Etisalat network.

Full Version: http://www.mrpepe.com/startups/how-to-make-₦250000-a-month-driving-uber-taxis/

2 Likes

Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by EnterPRO: 6:01pm On Feb 04, 2016
very informative .

the only challenge here for investors will be how to get sensible drivers.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by ogogoro: 10:32pm On Feb 04, 2016
EnterPRO:
very informative .
the only challenge here for investors will be how to get sensible drivers.

Also how sensible drivers can get matched with good investors.

1 Like

Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by mrsage(m): 11:37pm On Feb 04, 2016
Uber is highly overrated in my opinion. You can set up your Cab Service business and get clients regularly without them.

Too many people jumping on the uber platform these days. Very soon they will have more cars than they need.

Again uber cab prices are too low. Good for uber and customers but not good for the car owners /investor. Remember as a car owner you handle repairs and maintenance.

Airport cab guys charge better than uber. (Murtala Muhammed Int'l Airport Lagos to be specific). That means more profit margins.

My humble submission : join the uber platform if you are a novice in transport business. They flood you with customers since you don't know how to get them.

Also join uber if you have a day time job and you take it as a side business.

When you gain experience and you are ready to play in the game called Cab Service. You will ditch them fast.

Warning : N250,000 monthly is not guaranteed. It is more of a marketing slogan.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by OlowoB(m): 4:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
mrsage:
Uber is highly overrated in my opinion. You can set up your Cab Service business and get clients regularly without them.

Too many people jumping on the uber platform these days. Very soon they will have more cars than they need.

Again uber cab prices are too low. Good for uber and customers but not good for the car owners /investor. Remember as a car owner you handle repairs and maintenance.

Airport cab guys charge better than uber. (Murtala Muhammed Int'l Airport Lagos to be specific). That means more profit margins.

My humble submission : join the uber platform if you are a novice in transport business. They flood you with customers since you don't know how to get them.

When you gain experience and you are ready to play in the game called Cab Service. You will ditch them fast.

Hello sir, i have been following your posts and i have tried to no avail in trying to get in touch with you (sent you several pms through nairaland)

Please is it ok you send me an email on olemmyolowo@yahoo.com or you drop yours and i contact you. please i will be glad if you can treat this as urgent.

Cheers
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by naijacutee(f): 5:10pm On Feb 05, 2016
mrsage:

You're right. Earnings do fluctuate, especially now that the entire is getting more popular. I have removed the reference to earnings in the title as the post is intended to be helpful, not promotional.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by BLWeb: 7:08pm On Feb 05, 2016
How popular is uber in Nigeria?
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by abdussalam(m): 10:44am On Feb 07, 2016
Good to know.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by RollingFellas: 5:17pm On Feb 07, 2016
mrsage:

I totally agree with you. You just spoke my mind. I believe and know that taking uber as full time will have limitations.

In business, future limitations shouldn't be courted. It could limit or hurt earnings.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by TokyoBulls(m): 9:54pm On Feb 14, 2016
I am a partner with Uber Lagos and I can understand the concern with earnings. However, I believe things are not as bad as painted. Uber drivers get more trips than any other drivers I know in Lagos. Most of my drivers do more than 8 trips in a day and some do above 12. Demand dropped significantly in January due to many banks, starting with GTBank, blocking all Uber transactions which made it difficult for people to request. Uber responded by adding cash option and many riders are back on the platform. My least driver did 8 trips yesterday and no driver has done less than 6 trips today (Yes, today is Sunday and Valentine may be contributing to the high demand) but generally February numbers are good, much better than January. Average earnings in December was N172,000! For those who will rather wait, it's absolutely fine but I don't think airport taxis earn anything close to Uber drivers. These guys even struggle to give you N30,000 per week.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by naijacutee(f): 4:21pm On Feb 15, 2016
TokyoBulls:
I am a partner with Uber Lagos and I can understand the concern with earnings. However, I believe things are not as bad as painted. Uber drivers get more trips than any other drivers I know in Lagos. Most of my drivers do more than 8 trips in a day and some do above 12. Demand dropped significantly in January due to many banks, starting with GTBank, blocking all Uber transactions which made it difficult for people to request. Uber responded by adding cash option and many riders are back on the platform. My least driver did 8 trips yesterday and no driver has done less than 6 trips today (Yes, today is Sunday and Valentine may be contributing to the high demand) but generally February numbers are good, much better than January. Average earnings in December was N172,000! For those who will rather wait, it's absolutely fine but I don't think airport taxis earn anything close to Uber drivers. These guys even struggle to give you N30,000 per week.

It's reassuring to hear your perspective. When they were new (and had fewer partners), the added fact that all banks enabled payments on the platform made N250,000 a very realistic income.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by battleaxe: 4:34am On Mar 01, 2016
@Tokyobulls
Was the 172k average earning monthly or weekly? With a suggested income of 120k for your drivers in another post, would that practically not erode all possible profit for the partner if this is the monthly earning?

Thanks.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by millhouse: 7:01am On Mar 01, 2016
Ku[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by tobinson: 4:57pm On Oct 15, 2017
naijacutee:

It's reassuring to hear your perspective. When they were new (and had fewer partners), the added fact that all banks enabled payments on the platform made N250,000 a very realistic income.

pls I just want to start driving for uber what and how do they operate ?
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by tobinson: 8:29am On Oct 17, 2017
pls I need you to explain more to this uber,I want to start driving with uber but don't have any idea of what to do and where to go.
@naijacutee and ogunvic41
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by ogunvic41(m): 10:05am On Oct 17, 2017
tobinson:
pls I need you to explain more to this uber,I want to start driving with uber but don't have any idea of what to do and where to go.
@naijacutee and ogunvic41
08032800453 phone call preferred to whatsapp
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by tobinson: 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2017
ogunvic41:
I will add u on whatsapp now thanks
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by tobinson: 2:21pm On Oct 17, 2017
ogunvic41:
I will add u on whatsapp now thanks
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by mrnwas(m): 7:30am On Sep 29, 2018
This is a very nice post coming from MrPEPPE.
learn how to use uber for the very first time in Nigeria
https://www.builderwebz.com/2018/09/how-uber-nigeria-works/
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by mrmichael1(m): 3:35pm On Jan 07, 2019
TokyoBulls:

well said bro, thanks for the info.
i am planning to start this transport business with Uber and others as a side hustle on weekends, i am new to this and have zero knowledge of how it works or the best vehicle to start with, kindly help on the reliable low-cost vehicle to get and how to go about starting.
Please assist.
Re: Detailed Guide: How To Register As An Uber Driver in Lagos by maclatunji: 5:33pm On Sep 23, 2021

(1) (Reply)

CBN To Order Banks To Repay Illegal Charges With Interest / Tobi Amira: Moniepoint Processes $7 Billion Dollars Monthly In Nigeria (Video) / I Need An Education Loan For My Masters In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.