Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:07 AM

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace (40913 Views)

Popular Lagos Traffic Warden Jumps On The Bonnet Of An Offender, Today, In Yaba / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money? / How To Easily Manipulate Your Way To The Top At Your Workplace:Johnspeak Uwangue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 10:52am On Feb 05, 2016
That is what I was trying to explain to the guy... a lot of Nigerians are the one making these foreigners feel superior.

How can you walk up to a man you don't know and demand a favor or directions from him without saying a simple "hello", "hi", "whats up", "excuse me, please" or "good morning"?

omorttee4u:

Mr man, either asking for favor or not. If you meeting someone for the first time, you must be polite. Even in UK. A friend was denied a cup of coffee because, he never say 'please' after the request.

Pls note : he want to pay for the tea, and not free.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by sunsewa: 1:09pm On Feb 05, 2016
When I was living in China,they are one I employ to do tedious job for me,like carrying loads,cleaning and washing of my apartment etc,but here they claim god for those wey no sabi.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 1:16pm On Feb 05, 2016
APCcrimesHD:
These Chinese men are dullards, just like bubu... grin

Nigerians. Bunch of fools. Perfectly described in the book of proverbs. They will call chinese men dullards, white men dunces, indians bolos. Yet they do not have 1/100th of a proper thought process in comparison wt these people.

Wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 05, 2016
TeOwl:
That is what I was trying to explain to the guy... a lot of Nigerians are the one making these foreigners feel superior.

How can you walk up to a man you don't know and demand a favor or directions from him without saying a simple "hello", "hi", "whats up", "excuse me, please" or "good morning"?

No one can 'make' you feel inferior. To even acknowledge it means u already are.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by srrrr(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2016
Frank3n2:

They are what??
Red people

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 1:36pm On Feb 05, 2016
maoolakanm:
I WORKS IN AN INDIAN COMPANY THE WAY THEY TREAT WORKERS IS APPALLING. OUR PEOPLE ALSO HELPS TO FAN THEIR EGO.THEY CALL THEM MASTER, OGA....AND THIS IS COMMON WITH THEIR DRIVERS.BECAUSE OF THE CRUMBS THEY GET FROM THEIR WIVES.

Nigerians generally fan everyones ego. Im a young woman but when im in my car, all these old men kp saying madam, yes ma, almost knocking their head on the pavement. I have drivers in my office old enough to be my father who call me ma. Nigerians have a problem. A lot of us are grovelling people pleasers. Poverty and hunger caused it. I dont necessarily think it has to do wt the colour of the skin. Some pple have just equated their skin colour to wealth and then treat them like they treat all their perceived 'betters'.

If they decide to take advantage of dt and start taking advantage of people, the pple allowed it. And they should stop allowing it & stop grovelling. But it doesnt mean u go to the other extreme of racism cos u want to prove sthn. Only insecure pple always have sthn to prove. This op just did an 'idi amin let the white man carry me' stunt and thinks he proved sthn to the chinese man. Just like idi amin thought he proved sthn to the white man. SMH.

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 1:45pm On Feb 05, 2016
SmartMugu:
I experienced the same thing several years ago with some Asian dude in Nigeria. He stepped out of his car and walked up to me and some friends I was standing with to ask for directions.

I'd expect a simple 'Hi' first, before making his request, or at least say 'please,' first. Instead, the fool just walked up to us like "How do I get to XYZ place." Sounded like he was talking to some robots he created. I wasted no time and put him right in his place. My response was " if you have no manners where you're from, get the fk outta my face". He said no word back and just walked back to his car.

A Nigerian friend recently visited Nigeria from the US and was standing in line at an eatery somewhere in Lagos. There were people there before him, so he had to join the queue to place the order. After waiting in line for almost 20 minutes, all of a sudden, one of these Chinese men walked in and went all the way to the front to place his orders, bypassing everyone else that had been waiting before him. My friend asked one of the workers there who that man was and if he owned the place or something, they responded "Oh, he's an Oyinbo and we dey always give dem their food first". Not satisfied with the response he got, my friend walked up to the Chinese man and asked him who he was and why he thought everyone else before him were less than him. He explained that he was an expatriate and in a rush. Still not satisfied, my friend asked him to kindly go back to the end of the queue and wait for his turn like everyone else. He obliged and apologized to everyone. He ended up waiting in line like everyone else.

The idea is if no one says anything, theyll assume everyone worships them. Confront them in clear English if they understand it and put some sense in their heads.

The funny thing is that these people and indians ain't worth nothing in places like the US but try to form voltron in Nigeria. I guess its because some Nigerians call them Oyinbo and they need a piece of the 'white supremacy' crap they can't get anywhere else in the world.

The first example is truly stupid. What a dense response u gave. So innappropriate & rude.

The second example makes sense. No one should be cutting a line and dt guy needed to be put in his place exactly as he was. In fact if he hadnt respected himself and moved to the back of the line, someone should have walked him out of dt place.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by JayJustus(m): 1:54pm On Feb 05, 2016
doveda:

Hello, I live in Scotland, strangers don't greet unless they have something to ask or discuss with you!!!

You didn't answer my question!!! Would a Chinese walk up to another Chinese man and ask him a question without a simple salutation?

simple salutation like "hi do you know how to get to digital mall from here?" yes...but this is not like a requirement... like today I asked someone for something I didn't say hi or anything...just went forward with my request...
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 05, 2016
Where in my comment did I say I feel inferior to them?

I said a lot of Nigerians make them feel superior... it does not include me.

What do you say about a Chinese that sees a queue (line) in a bank or fast food restaurants and jumps the queue (line) because he thinks the staff MUST answer him since he is an "expatriate worker"?

For you not to understand what I was putting across shows you lack reading comprehension or you are just plain du.mb!

Please... just fvck off!

janellemonae:

No one can 'make' you feel inferior. To even acknowledge it means u already are.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 3:07pm On Feb 05, 2016
Frank3n2:

They are what??

They are Asians! Monogoloids....

Even the whites call them yellow(pardon my French)

Tired of hearing Nigerians call just about any race with light skin white...

Your white friends are in Europe, North America etc even all them Brazilians, Latino/a ain't white

Biko google is ur friend! If they are Caucasian, then they're white n not Asians nor the likes.

I hope iyaff try small to explain, convince and not to confuse you grin grin grin
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Slimszy: 3:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
TruthHurts1:
Chinese are not "white people"
Chinese people are more inhuman...

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by doveda: 3:26pm On Feb 05, 2016
JayJustus:

simple salutation like "hi do you know how to get to digital mall from here?" yes...but this is not like a requirement... like today I asked someone for something I didn't say hi or anything...just went forward with my request...

Well, maybe where you live is different or the person you asked was too young to realise it. I once took a class on cultural orientation in one of this western countries. It was part of the process of asking for directions etc
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by jude90(m): 3:58pm On Feb 05, 2016
that's rude men
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by blackboy(m): 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2016
Village ppl and old school ppl when they come to the city na greeting they carry on their head like they are seniors in secondary schools or the greeting will add value to them.

A simple hello or excuse me or even sorry is fine. Its done in the civilized world.

But hear you will hear someone shout YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO GREET. and start abusing

Continue,
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by scarr: 4:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
Frank3n2:

They are what??
They are "Asian"
And they are more yellow than white.

Not all foreigners are "White People"

ONLY AMERICANS ARE REFERRED TO AS "WHITE PEOPLE" not Asians, not Europeans, not even south americans
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by scarr: 4:31pm On Feb 05, 2016
dazzle101:

They are Asians! Monogoloids....

Even the whites call them yellow(pardon my French)

Tired of hearing Nigerians call just about any race with light skin white...

Your white friends are in Europe, North America etc even all them Brazilians, Latino/a ain't white

Biko google is ur friend! If they are Caucasian, then they're white n not Asians nor the likes.

I hope iyaff try small to explain, convince and not to confuse you grin grin grin
Thanks for enlightening him but even Europeans and south Americans aren't referred to as white.....
Don't blame d ignorants, anybody that isn't black is white.....don't b shocked when they call a light skinned south African a white guy
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by youngelder(m): 4:40pm On Feb 05, 2016
brownjulie:
grin feeling special
you should...
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Tunami(m): 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2016
Rolings:

If the guy were your superior it was wrong of you to feel you should be rude to him just because he didn't greet you ,na him greeting carry you go work for the company? You are here insulting these Chinese yet you work in their company why not resign your job if you are not comfortable with their behaviour. Some Nigerian employers are worst then these Chinese, so also there are some Chinese companies that treat Nigerians well.
Direct your anger at the government that couldn't enforce laws on expatriate quota that make common Chinese labourers engineers in Nigeria . Blame the government that goes cap in hand to beg these Chinese,Indians,Lebanese to come and invest in Nigeria and allow them to disregard our Labour / employment laws . Blame government for going to China exim bank to borrow at no interest but with the conditions that some projects will be handled strictly by Chinese companies using Chinese Labour.
From your post your grouse was not with your working condition but for the guy not greeting you, will his greeting put money in your pocket?
i cant work for a chinese man or firm
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Rolings: 5:28pm On Feb 05, 2016
Tunami:
i cant work for a chinese man or firm

Not everybody can work for the Chinese and you are not better than those that work or have worked for the Chinese before.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2016
scarr:

Thanks for enlightening him but even Europeans and south Americans aren't referred to as white.....
Don't blame d ignorants, anybody that isn't black is white.....don't b shocked when they call a light skinned south African a white guy

grin grin technically speaking they're not supposed to be called white. But you can't blame the world that has made these tags of white and black as description/distinction for racial complexion, you find even these ppl call themselves white lol, not right I tell ya.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by K114: 6:45pm On Feb 05, 2016
Only the Angels of God is 'white'
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by SmartMugu: 7:09pm On Feb 05, 2016
janellemonae:

The first example is truly stupid. What a dense response u gave. So innappropriate & rude.
That's your view and you're entitled to your opinion.
Me and the friends there were old enough to be that Chinese man's dad.

Anywhere in the world, courtesy demands greeting first before asking for favors. His approach was inappropriate and rude to me and the people with me, not mine. I was raised to greet people first before asking them for favors and was corrected by people whenever I missed that moral piece that translates to respecting others and staying respected by others.
I had to correct him like people correct me too whenever I unconsciously went astray, and I'm quick to apologize when I think I'm wrong, not walk away from them like their effort to correct my approach ain't worth thinking about.

What would you have done in that situation? Stand there and respond like the mule he took you and your friends for? Not sure how u were raised and if ure one of those that will shiver and scream Oyinbo as long as their audience's skin color ain't like theirs. It's tonnes of people like out there, I'm just not one of them and have no regrets correcting a spoilt brat regardless of their status or nationality.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by yom2(m): 4:31am On Feb 06, 2016
[ quote author=oodua1stson post=42630898]I know Iranians ate Persians, not arabs. But Egyptians? Maybe Lebanese are not but I think (not sure) Egyptians are arabs [/quote no they are not:; nigerians speak english are they english?
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by scarr: 7:42am On Feb 06, 2016
dazzle101:

grin grin technically speaking they're not supposed to be called white. But you can't blame the world that has made these tags of white and black as description/distinction for racial complexion, you find even these ppl call themselves white lol, not right I tell ya.
To think d Irish and thier neighbors are more "white"(in complexion) than Americans yet u don't see dem calling themselves white, they would rather say they are Irish. But thanks to our obodo yinbo Americans for the black and white stereotype and no thanks to our African brothers who accepted it.
What makes it worse is that d original native Americans are just as white as someone from Sierra Leone.
White ko, gray ni
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 7:46am On Feb 06, 2016
scarr:

To think d Irish and thier neighbors are more "white"(in complexion) than Americans yet u don't see dem calling themselves white, they would rather say they are Irish. But thanks to our obodo yinbo Americans for the black and white stereotype and no thanks to our African brothers who accepted it.
What makes it worse is that d original native Americans are just as white as someone from Sierra Leone.
White ko, gray ni

Looool
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2016
TruthHurts1:

I weep for your ignorant generation.
weep for your generation o jere, carry your cross.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by yom2(m): 5:29pm On Feb 07, 2016
[quote author=nastyesco post=42630858][/quote] people easily earn their regards from their productivity and track records

1 Like

Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Onlinephobia(m): 9:20pm On Jun 18, 2017
BadSamaritan:
The Chinese man was ashamed of himself

No! The Chinese man was like You neva chi chum chin.

i notice you want to learn about BTC trading just quote me with your whatsapp number and i will contact you myself.
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by BadSamaritan(m): 3:45pm On Jun 19, 2017
Onlinephobia:

i notice you want to learn about BTC trading just quote me with your whatsapp number and i will contact you myself.

Thanks so much bro. But I don't think it's cool for me to drop my number here. I suggest we start with email. vic3atlast@gmail.com
Re: My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace by Olamsoh: 8:13am On May 20, 2019
angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

14,000 Exxonmobil Staff To Lose Jobs Over Dwindling Oil Demand / What Is The Lowest Income A Person Living In Lagos Should Earn To Live Decently? / What Profitable Skill Can I Learn Now Before The End Of The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.