Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls (19061 Views)

Magu's Confirmation: Senate Unfazed By Presidency’s Decision To Head To S’court / Gov Polls: EFCC Arrests INEC Chiefs For Taking N675m In Bribes / Why We Ignored Card Reader Reports In Election Cases – S’court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by xeeco: 9:28am On Feb 05, 2016
It's obvious that the citadel of justice is now corrupt. It's unthinkable for the apex court to uphold an election that has conspicuously been marred by electoral irregularities and violence.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Nobody: 9:31am On Feb 05, 2016
Tribunals annuls all contentious governorship polls results.......Sagay smiles. No Draco. No Magic.

Appeal Court sustains all Tribunals rulings......Sagay smiles. No Draco. No Magic.

Supreme Court overrule both Tribunal and Appeal Court.....Sagay frowns. Sees Draco. Sees Magic.

I always respected this lawyer in the past but recently his views seem partisan and biased.
A glorious career can be tainted by a moment of ignominy.

2 Likes

Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by wirinet(m): 9:35am On Feb 05, 2016
chukwudi44:

He would have written it if it was that easy to do so!! I dare the APC to attempt to rig or write the results in the next Rivers re-run polls and see what will happen to them!

That is why i hate chest beaters, when shit hits the fan, they cry worse than babies. If Buhari should deploy federal might to rig elections, these chest beaters would start crying genocide, human rights, Hague, putin, Obama, Cameron, UN, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by joe120120(m): 9:36am On Feb 05, 2016
[quote author=Descartes post=42631042]Eminent lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay, and a Lagos-based legal practitioner, Mr. Jiti Ogunye, on Thursday, queried the recent judgments of the Supreme Court, which dismissed all the cases challenging the polls of some governors, including those that had earlier been overturned by two lower courts.

A seven-man bench led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, on Wednesday, affirmed the results declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission with respect to the Abia and Akwa Ibom states’ governorship polls.

In separate telephone interviews with our correspondent, Sagay and Ogunye said the Supreme Court judgments were not justifiable.

The Court of Appeal in the case of the Abia poll and the election petitions tribunal with respect to the Akwa Ibom election had taken a position different from that of the apex court.

Earlier, the apex court had affirmed the governorship election in River State, despite contrary findings by the appeal court.

The apex court had also affirmed the governorship polls in Ebonyi, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Delta and some others.

The Supreme Court is to give full reasons for its decisions on most of the governorship elections later this month.

The apex court’s decision has not been delivered in the appeal with respect to Taraba State election.

Drawing an analogy between the Supreme Court’s decisions and the attitude of an ancient king called Draco in punishing all offences with death, Sagay said on Thursday that the apex court’s streak of judgments was strange.

He said, “It is not something I can just pounce on. But all the judgments have been the same. It’s very interesting. There used to be an ancient monarch, who punished every crime by death. He was called Draco. That is why when somebody does anything extreme he is called Draconian.

“If anybody steals one kobo, you kill him, if he kills someone you kill him, at the end, there is no distinction between offences.

“There should be distinctions. How can all the governorship cases go the same way? How is that possible? That is the question we are all awaiting when they will give the reasons for their judgments.

“I don’t know how to put it, but it’s very strange. We will wait for them to give their reasons and see how that magic occurred that every governorship election was valid and in line with the Electoral Act. It is very unprecedented. We will see when they give their full judgments, that is it for now.”

On his part, Ogunye said he was met with ‘shock and disbelief’ following the apex court’s decisions.

He expressed fear that the Supreme Court’s judgment might ‘unwittingly become an anti-technology, anti-innovation and anti-science precedent’ which he said was “sad for our democracy’.

He said with the trend of the apex court’s judgment it would have been impossible for the likes of Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, Governor Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo, Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun and former Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti, to assume governorship positions.

Those mentioned by Ogunye had become governors by an order of the Court of Appeal at the time when the Supreme Court had yet to have jurisdiction over governorship election appeal cases.

He also said, “Nigerians and the international community were living witnesses to the conduct of the polls in the states where these election petitions emanated and the conclusions were that the elections were terribly mismanaged and marred by violence and malpractices.”

http://www.punchng.com/sagay-ogunye-fault-scourt-judgments-on-gov-polls/

The only fact that prove the judgment of Rivers,Akwa ibom was the case of Lagos state between Ambode verses Timi Agbaje .if Ambode won without card reader then Wike and his counterpart of akwa ibom will also won their case .Prof.itse sagay knows but he want to confuse Nigeria
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Bigchief46(m): 9:43am On Feb 05, 2016
Sagay was my Dean at the University of Benin and as a student was beloved by all of us, but I have to say that his comments on litigation matters have always been a terrible disappointment. It was the same way he tarnished his reputation with his comments on the Abia Guber poll Election Petition Tribunal Judgment in 2007. Sagay's problem is however very clear to understand; he is a distinguished Law teacher no doubt but he is no Barrister. There is a world of difference between theory and practice. Sagay was a law Teacher for the majority of his Professional working life, rising to become a distinguished Professor of Law specializing in Contracts. At a very late stage in his professional life, he decided to try his hands in private Legal Practice but his record in Litigation has been filled with blunder after blunder: there is a reason that the proverb says that you don't learn new tricks in old age. SAGAY IS NO LITIGATOR simple and should stop embarrassing himself by giving myopic opinions on litigation matters. He was awarded a SAN ENTIRELY for his academic accomplishments & not for anything he has ever done in the Court room. Moreover, I do not know of a single Election Petition in which SAGAY has been Lead Counsel. Election Petitions is a highly technical practice Area and many lawyers, including SANs reject such Briefs or recommend others if approached. Most Politicians know those who are experts in this exclusive area of practice & Sagay is certainly not one of them. The first Rule in critique of Judgments is that you must have all the facts of a case so that you know exactly what the Court you are criticizing knows. Moreover in these cases, the Supreme Court has not even given its reasons for the Judgments so people of the standing of SAGAY should have been slow to make such disparaging comments on our APEX Court for now. It would be understandable if this was some green-wig lawyer or rabble-rousing "radical" lawyer making these comments. NOW TO THE ISSUE: I have some suspicions as to why almost all the Governorship cases will end up this way. First, the Supreme Court is consistently known and revered for its CONSISTENCY over the years. With the SC, you know exactly what the law is unlike the Courts of Appeal who keep on putting their foot in their mouth and somersaulting all the time. Most Petitioners in this election circle took the easy way out by relying & putting the fate of their Petitions on Card Readers. The traditional way of prosecuting & proving electoral malpractices is very difficult & so when the issue of Card Readers came up, they shouted "eureka" & focused all their energies on proving malpractices using Card Reader data. Even those who pleaded other forms of malpractices & non-compliance failed to call adequate evidence on them as proving malpractices through Card Reader data appeared simpler & straight forward. But they did not take cognizance of one thing: Card Reader as part of the accreditation process IS NOT YET part of our Electoral Laws. Card Reader is commendable; it will reduce rigging; it will improve transparency in the electoral process BUT IT IS NOT PART OF THE LAW YET: you cannot put something on nothing. The fault for this lacuna should not be put on the doorsteps of the SC but is entirely that of INEC. INEC failed to get accreditation by Card Reader legislated into law before the elections. The duty of any Court, including the SC is to interpret the law: in doing so, a Court should interpret the law AS IT IS and not AS IT OUGHT TO BE. This forum is not adequate to expantiate on this issue but let me finalize by saying this: the mode of accreditation recognized by the Electoral Act is as set out at Section 49 of the Act. Once the data & details of a prospective voter appears in the Voter's Register & match that in his PVC, he should be given a ballot paper and allowed to vote. There is no mention of Card Reader anywhere in the Electoral Act & so INEC Presiding Officers were giving ballot papers to voters to cast their votes, even if the Card Reader failed to authenticate their PVCs once their particulars are in the Register & match that on their PVC. So in essence, what many Courts of Appeal did was to annul the elections in places where the number of votes cast exceeded the number of accredited voters captured by Card Reader but the Supreme Court is saying no: the votes cast should include those accredited with Voter's Register only (popularly called "manual accreditation"wink. Once that happened, most Petitions fail at the Supreme Court because, as I explained earlier, most Petitioners put all their eggs in the single basket of Card Reader. INEC failed to get the National Assembly to further amend the Electoral Act to legislate Card Reader into law as a legal means of accreditation. They only issued a directive that Card Reader should be used; however this is what Section 138(2) of the Electoral Act provides: "An act or omission which may be contrary to an instruction or directive of the Commission or of an officer appointed for the purpose of the election but which is not contrary to the provisions of this Act shall not of itself be a ground for questioning the election". Clearly accreditation without using Card Readers is not contrary to the Electoral Act & is therefore not a ground for nullifying any election. This is all the Supreme Court is saying. I can vouchsafe that the CJN & other Noble Lords of the SC are not happy with the outcomes but what can they do when INEC failed to do the needful? What can they do when Petitioners failed to prove their case to the exacting degree & standards required by law? Remember the Court, including Supreme Court does not make law; they only interpret it. Lastly it is intriguing that no one heard the voice of SAGAY & his ilk when the Court of Appeal, Lagos Division gave THE VERY FIRST JUDGMENT EVER on the issue of Card Reader, holding that it was not part of our electoral laws. The Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal brought by the PDP & their candidate, Agbaje against the APC & Ambode which was premised on Card Reader. Sagay & others like him praised the sagacity of the CA but because the same interpretation by the CA on Card Reader which favored the APC then now favors the PDP at the Apex Court, our Noble Lords of the SC are being rubbished by ignorant comments.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 05, 2016
MichaelDee:
See them yeye SANs. Anything that is not in suppoort of APC, u sha see dem wailling at it. Keep wailling Sagay and Ogunye.
[size=15pt]Summary => anyone who does not support APC's corruption is corrupt grin grin[/size]
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Kentursky(m): 9:51am On Feb 05, 2016
It means Jonathan would have wasted his time challanging Buhari's victory.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by delonz(m): 9:54am On Feb 05, 2016
Descartes:
Eminent lawyer, Prof. Itse Sagay, and a Lagos-based legal practitioner, Mr. Jiti Ogunye, on Thursday, queried the recent judgments of the Supreme Court, which dismissed all the cases challenging the polls of some governors, including those that had earlier been overturned by two lower courts.

A seven-man bench led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed, on Wednesday, affirmed the results declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission with respect to the Abia and Akwa Ibom states’ governorship polls.

In separate telephone interviews with our correspondent, Sagay and Ogunye said the Supreme Court judgments were not justifiable.

The Court of Appeal in the case of the Abia poll and the election petitions tribunal with respect to the Akwa Ibom election had taken a position different from that of the apex court.

Earlier, the apex court had affirmed the governorship election in River State, despite contrary findings by the appeal court.

The apex court had also affirmed the governorship polls in Ebonyi, Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Delta and some others.

The Supreme Court is to give full reasons for its decisions on most of the governorship elections later this month.

The apex court’s decision has not been delivered in the appeal with respect to Taraba State election.

Drawing an analogy between the Supreme Court’s decisions and the attitude of an ancient king called Draco in punishing all offences with death, Sagay said on Thursday that the apex court’s streak of judgments was strange.

He said, “It is not something I can just pounce on. But all the judgments have been the same. It’s very interesting. There used to be an ancient monarch, who punished every crime by death. He was called Draco. That is why when somebody does anything extreme he is called Draconian.

“If anybody steals one kobo, you kill him, if he kills someone you kill him, at the end, there is no distinction between offences.

“There should be distinctions. How can all the governorship cases go the same way? How is that possible? That is the question we are all awaiting when they will give the reasons for their judgments.

“I don’t know how to put it, but it’s very strange. We will wait for them to give their reasons and see how that magic occurred that every governorship election was valid and in line with the Electoral Act. It is very unprecedented. We will see when they give their full judgments, that is it for now.”

On his part, Ogunye said he was met with ‘shock and disbelief’ following the apex court’s decisions.

He expressed fear that the Supreme Court’s judgment might ‘unwittingly become an anti-technology, anti-innovation and anti-science precedent’ which he said was “sad for our democracy’.

He said with the trend of the apex court’s judgment it would have been impossible for the likes of Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, Governor Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo, Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun and former Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti, to assume governorship positions.

Those mentioned by Ogunye had become governors by an order of the Court of Appeal at the time when the Supreme Court had yet to have jurisdiction over governorship election appeal cases.

He also said, “Nigerians and the international community were living witnesses to the conduct of the polls in the states where these election petitions emanated and the conclusions were that the elections were terribly mismanaged and marred by violence and malpractices.”

http://www.punchng.com/sagay-ogunye-fault-scourt-judgments-on-gov-polls/
I remember, that immediately after the general elections, the judiciary promised not to upturn any election victory through the courts. In this regards, I think the judiciary is trying to promote peace. I support the Judidciary on this. If these people are having doubts about the governorship elections across the Country, then they should also question the presidential election. I think we should allow peace to reign. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Ambassadors: 9:54am On Feb 05, 2016
It's very unfortunate that the decisions came at this moment of our nascent democracy. All I can say is that I was privilege to be in the era when supreme Court judgment were not supreme... Very unfortunate!
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by frank442: 10:01am On Feb 05, 2016
Conspiracy is involve

I am very sure

You can never get a good judgement. From those 7 judges
They are definitely going to be judge by God
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by DIKEnaWAR: 10:25am On Feb 05, 2016
psucc:
Itse may have been looking at the case with a lens different from the one used by the judges. Again that their decisions are unanimous on the case means the judges may have been nonpartisan about the case.

However, 7 men agreeing supersedes that of a one man who is holding brief or has a take at the present govt.

We should not fall down the last wall standing or else anarchy will be child's play.

People like Itse Sagay are the problem of the judiciary: they see everything from a partisan point of view, yet pretend to uphold the ethos of the society. They rave and rant to set up the society against the judiciary when a decision goes against their wish.

When their Lordships give reasons for their decision, we shall find out that it will not be totally different from that of Jimi Agbaje v Ambode, because the issues and facts are almost the same. The question now is: why didn't Sagay cry foul when their Lordships decided in Agbaje v Ambode?

Everyday I look at the books written by Itse Sagay, that I read as a Law student and wonder what has happened to such a beautiful mind.

Quote me anywhere: most of these cases are hinged on the effectiveness or otherwise of the card readers which is not recognised under our Electoral Act. The cases are bound to fail.

The Supreme Court does not seek to please anyone. They interprete the law as it is and not as it ought to be or viewed by the public.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by tete7000(m): 10:26am On Feb 05, 2016
Who listens to Sagay? I don't. He is too APC. He talks good only of things that favours APC.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by duality(m): 10:27am On Feb 05, 2016
Bigchief46:
Sagay was my Dean at the University of Benin and as a student was beloved by all of us, but I have to say that his comments on litigation matters have always been a terrible disappointment. It was the same way he tarnished his reputation with his comments on the Abia Guber poll Election Petition Tribunal Judgment in 2007. Sagay's problem is however very clear to understand; he is a distinguished Law teacher no doubt but he is no Barrister. There is a world of difference between theory and practice. Sagay was a law Teacher for the majority of his Professional working life, rising to become a distinguished Professor of Law specializing in Contracts. At a very late stage in his professional life, he decided to try his hands in private Legal Practice but his record in Litigation has been filled with blunder after blunder: there is a reason that the proverb says that you don't learn new tricks in old age. SAGAY IS NO LITIGATOR simple and should stop embarrassing himself by giving myopic opinions on litigation matters. He was awarded a SAN ENTIRELY for his academic accomplishments & not for anything he has ever done in the Court room. Moreover, I do not know of a single Election Petition in which SAGAY has been Lead Counsel. Election Petitions is a highly technical practice Area and many lawyers, including SANs reject such Briefs or recommend others if approached. Most Politicians know those who are experts in this exclusive area of practice & Sagay is certainly not one of them. The first Rule in critique of Judgments is that you must have all the facts of a case so that you know exactly what the Court you are criticizing knows. Moreover in these cases, the Supreme Court has not even given its reasons for the Judgments so people of the standing of SAGAY should have been slow to make such disparaging comments on our APEX Court for now. It would be understandable if this was some green-wig lawyer or rabble-rousing "radical" lawyer making these comments. NOW TO THE ISSUE: I have some suspicions as to why almost all the Governorship cases will end up this way. First, the Supreme Court is consistently known and revered for its CONSISTENCY over the years. With the SC, you know exactly what the law is unlike the Courts of Appeal who keep on putting their foot in their mouth and somersaulting all the time. Most Petitioners in this election circle took the easy way out by relying & putting the fate of their Petitions on Card Readers. The traditional way of prosecuting & proving electoral malpractices is very difficult & so when the issue of Card Readers came up, they shouted "eureka" & focused all their energies on proving malpractices using Card Reader data. Even those who pleaded other forms of malpractices & non-compliance failed to call adequate evidence on them as proving malpractices through Card Reader data appeared simpler & straight forward. But they did not take cognizance of one thing: Card Reader as part of the accreditation process IS NOT YET part of our Electoral Laws. Card Reader is commendable; it will reduce rigging; it will improve transparency in the electoral process BUT IT IS NOT PART OF THE LAW YET: you cannot put something on nothing. The fault for this lacuna should not be put on the doorsteps of the SC but is entirely that of INEC. INEC failed to get accreditation by Card Reader legislated into law before the elections. The duty of any Court, including the SC is to interpret the law: in doing so, a Court should interpret the law AS IT IS and not AS IT OUGHT TO BE. This forum is not adequate to expantiate on this issue but let me finalize by saying this: the mode of accreditation recognized by the Electoral Act is as set out at Section 49 of the Act. Once the data & details of a prospective voter appears in the Voter's Register & match that in his PVC, he should be given a ballot paper and allowed to vote. There is no mention of Card Reader anywhere in the Electoral Act & so INEC Presiding Officers were giving ballot papers to voters to cast their votes, even if the Card Reader failed to authenticate their PVCs once their particulars are in the Register & match that on their PVC. So in essence, what many Courts of Appeal did was to annul the elections in places where the number of votes cast exceeded the number of accredited voters captured by Card Reader but the Supreme Court is saying no: the votes cast should include those accredited with Voter's Register only (popularly called "manual accreditation"wink. Once that happened, most Petitions fail at the Supreme Court because, as I explained earlier, most Petitioners put all their eggs in the single basket of Card Reader. INEC failed to get the National Assembly to further amend the Electoral Act to legislate Card Reader into law as a legal means of accreditation. They only issued a directive that Card Reader should be used; however this is what Section 138(2) of the Electoral Act provides: "An act or omission which may be contrary to an instruction or directive of the Commission or of an officer appointed for the purpose of the election but which is not contrary to the provisions of this Act shall not of itself be a ground for questioning the election". Clearly accreditation without using Card Readers is not contrary to the Electoral Act & is therefore not a ground for nullifying any election. This is all the Supreme Court is saying. I can vouchsafe that the CJN & other Noble Lords of the SC are not happy with the outcomes but what can they do when INEC failed to do the needful? What can they do when Petitioners failed to prove their case to the exacting degree & standards required by law? Remember the Court, including Supreme Court does not make law; they only interpret it. Lastly it is intriguing that no one heard the voice of SAGAY & his ilk when the Court of Appeal, Lagos Division gave THE VERY FIRST JUDGMENT EVER on the issue of Card Reader, holding that it was not part of our electoral laws. The Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal brought by the PDP & their candidate, Agbaje against the APC & Ambode which was premised on Card Reader. Sagay & others like him praised the sagacity of the CA but because the same interpretation by the CA on Card Reader which favored the APC then now favors the PDP at the Apex Court, our Noble Lords of the SC are being rubbished by ignorant comments.

God bless you. I wonder why this is difficult for some people to understand.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 05, 2016
wirinet:

That is why i hate chest beaters, when shit hits the fan, they cry worse than babies. If Buhari should deploy federal might to rig elections, these chest beaters would start crying genocide, human rights, Hague, putin, Obama, Cameron, UN, etc.

Buhari deployed federal might in the last Bayelsa elections and we all saw how that turned out!! Go and ask the soldiers and policemen how many of them were killed in southern Ijaw.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by rolchi(m): 11:36am On Feb 05, 2016
Bigchief46:

Thank you Sir. Please, I want to become your follower on twitter or facebook.
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by innuit: 12:47pm On Feb 05, 2016
Bigchief46:

A thousand likes for this!
Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by baralatie(m): 1:42pm On Feb 05, 2016
luvinhubby:
So the tiny bigotted sense of Jiti Ogunye & the outdated brain of Itse Sagay are better than the erudite brains of seven supreme court justices, including the CJN ?

Stupidity is when the same supreme court uses the standard to award APC judgement in Lagos against PDP & nobody utters a word but the same rascals cry 'murder' when the supreme court uses the same standard to award PDP victory in Rivers & Akwa Ibom.

APC is a fraud.

1 Like

Re: Sagay, Ogunye Fault S’court Judgments On Gov Polls by Housing(m): 3:44pm On Feb 05, 2016
Though I don't like the topic of this thread but I have learnt something "DRACO"

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

You’re Worsening Ibori’s Case, Uduaghan Tells Persons Visiting Former Governor I / It Will Be Difficult For PDP To Defeat Buhari In 2019 – Primate Ayodele / Army To Launch Operation Fireball Against Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.