Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,719 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

What Really Is Biafra? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Really Is Biafra? (2996 Views)

Is Biafra Igbo? / Today Is Biafra Day / Economically: How Is Biafra Going To Survive ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Jul 02, 2009
I know this is for real. I may not have the stats to prove it but I base it on the fact that in the last 20 years, the Ibos have not called for Biafra in the same voice that they did back in the years before and after the civil war.

This is also based on the fact that Ibos today mostly vote for candidates who offer them the idea of a better Nigeria and not the idea of a better Biafra or a Biafra. Most all candidates stay away from the biafra offer as they probably believe it is not a popular one and offer them the dream of a better Nigeria instead. Prove me wrong if you can.  grin
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 8:47pm On Jul 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I know this is for real. I may not have the stats to prove it but I base it on the fact that in the last 20 years, the Ibos have not called for Biafra in the same voice that they did back in the years before and after the civil war.

This is also based on the fact that Ibos today mostly vote for candidates who offer them the idea of a better Nigeria and not the idea of a better Biafra or a Biafra. Prove me wrong if you can. grin

Who are these Ibos? . . . . . . . . . . . . OH, are you talking about Igbo people, oh in that case . . . . . grin Because you haven't heard anybody saying anything, you think it hasn't been bubbling under, you don't think losing over a million of your own people would demoralise you?
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jul 02, 2009
Bubbling is one thing but being majority is another. Just cause Nigerians hate the way things are in the country DOES NOT IMPLY the majority are READY FOR CHANGE. In much the same way, the fact that you say this is BUBBLING ON THE INSIDE does not make BIAFRA a POPULAR idea. When we start to see and HEAD of actual calls for it from the majority and we start to see people ACTING to make it a reality, then, and only then, in my opinion, will we say it is even a REAL dream.

Loosing a million of my people demoralize me? You mean in much the same way Nigerians as a whole loose millions to hunger but never really work to see things change?? lol  grin cheesy grin cheesy 

Dude, the average omo ibo/omo amala/omo fura is more concerned about he can make more money for himself. Don't tell me that we are more concerned now about those who are dead in that country? Heck, we don't even remember those who were killed in riots and fires only months ago. grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by KnowAll(m): 8:53pm On Jul 02, 2009
Biafra is synomynos with the english word " Failure" . If u fail an exam u have just Biafred it.

Biafra can also be used intermittantly with word " Kolo " as per kolo mental, reason been that the head of massob printed biafran currency,  I bet even his wife will not touch that money with a barge pole let alone Igbo people. Secondly he launched the Biafra passport yesterday yet he will be going to visit president Obama in Ghana by travelling with a Naija pali. If that is not a nutter, then what can ever be, the guy should be strapped in a bed in "Aro"  mental hospital and the  key thrown away.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2009
KnowAll:

Biafra is synomynos with the english word " Failure" . If u fail an exam u have just Biafred it.

Biafra can also be used intermittantly with word " Kolo " as per kolo mental, reason been that the head of massob printed biafran currency,  I bet even his wife will not touch that money with a barge pole let alone Igbo people. Secondly he launched the Biafra passport yesterday yet he will be going to visit president Obama in Ghana by travelling with a Naija pali. If that is not a nutter, then what can ever be, the guy should be strapped in a bed in "Aro"  mental hospital and the  key thrown away.

KnowAll, you already know you're a failure, why are you showing your arse? grin embarassed
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 8:57pm On Jul 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Bubbling is one thing but being majority is another. Just cause Nigerians hate the way things are in the country DOES NOT IMPLY the majority are READY FOR CHANGE. In much the same way, the fact that you say this is BUBBLING ON THE INSIDE does not make BIAFRA a POPULAR idea. When we start to see and HEAD of actual calls for it from the majority and we start to see people ACTING to make it a reality, then, and only then, in my opinion, will we say it is even a REAL dream.

Loosing a million of my people demoralize me? You mean in much the same way Nigerians as a whole loose millions to hunger but never really work to see things change?? lol  grin cheesy grin cheesy 

Dude, the average omo ibo/omo amala/omo fura is more concerned about he can make more money for himself. Don't tell me that we are more concerned now about those who are dead in that country? Heck, we don't even remember those who were killed in riots and fires only months ago.  grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin grin cheesy

Oh come on, I don't know other Igbo people? anyway I can't be bothered to let everything out, so believe what you want, after all it's only Nairaland. grin tongue

Re: What Really Is Biafra? by dnex(m): 8:58pm On Jul 02, 2009
@Ezeagu

the richest nation in the world which we hail as the most democratic has Rhode Island which is clamouring to leave the union called the USA, yet they won't print passports or mint currency first.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Jul 02, 2009
How do You know I am not ibo myself?? roflmao!!!

Anywho, I know a lot of ibos myself and rarely is BIAFRA brought up during discussions on how to move things forward in Nigeria. I can tell you that over the past 10 years alone, I have never really heard much of biafra from any of the ibos I have met( and I have met a lot of them here), apart from the occassional trip down memory lane and what not. Even online, it seems nairaland is where the mention is prevalent.

Trends in Nigeria itself seem to bolster that belief that this is just a dream harbored by a minority and not really effective way to win over the minds of the people even to this day.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 9:02pm On Jul 02, 2009
dnex:

@Ezeagu

the richest nation in the world which we hail as the most democratic has Rhode Island which is clamouring to leave the union called the USA, yet  they won't print passports or mint currency first.

I know.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 9:02pm On Jul 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Cause its Igbo not ibo . . . . . maybe? cry
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 9:03pm On Jul 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Anywho, I know a lot of ibos myself and rarely is BIAFRA brought up during discussions on how to move things forward in Nigeria. I can tell you that over the past 10 years alone, I have never really heard much of biafra from any of the ibos I have met( and I have met a lot of them here), apart from the occassional trip down memory lane and what not. Even online, it seems nairaland is where the mention is prevalent.

Trends in Nigeria itself seem to bolster that belief that this is just a dream harbored by a minority and not really effective way to win over the minds of the people even to this day.

I have one thing to say. . . . . . . .

Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Kobojunkie: 9:08pm On Jul 02, 2009
roflmao!!!!

I happen to know a couple of people who fought in biafra on the ibo side that will tell you to bury that dream asap. grin cheesy cheesy grin And no, they are not sellouts!
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ibime(m): 9:34pm On Jul 02, 2009
dnex:

@Ibime

you ignorant lunatic, get the hell off my thread so learned people can come and contribute.

@Kobojunkie

I just wanted to know what meaning the word Biafra carried that it could inspire such passion and fever. That's my offence O! I thought there was a meaning that if translated to the rest of us, we will begin to understand why they act the way they do. Instead, one deranged confusionist is telling me about a bight. Well, at least the fool was sane enough to finally admit he wasn't sure. Is that not madness? When a man isn't sure what he's going haywire about.

Arewa means the north or the upper areas or zone.

Oodua is after the founder of the Yoruba whose original name Izoduwa means "I've chosen prosperity" so Oodua actually means prosperity.

I'm trying to find meaning and understand my agitated brothers and a gang of psychopaths just decided to start trailing and stalking me all over the place.

You fat face phock. . . . just like I said, this thread has no purpose except for this pernicious LovePeddler-mongrel to tell us that Biafra has no meaning. . . . so what?. . . . .is Biafra the first place not to have a meaning?. . . . of all the pea-brained excuses you can employ to denigrate the dreams of a Biafran, it is that the name has no meaning. . . . so what have you proved?. . . . employing your bovine logic, it is better to fight for a place which has no meaning, than a place which is "annoying" (Benin). . . .
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 1:37am On Jul 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

roflmao!!!!

I happen to know a couple of people who fought in biafra on the ibo side that will tell you to bury that dream asap. grin cheesy cheesy grin And no, they are not sellouts!

Uhh, no, their PC. wink
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by dnex(m): 3:10am On Jul 03, 2009
@Ibime

na wah for you O! I knew I'd seen this ID somewhere before. So it is you whom we share poetry together and learn from each other that this word Biafra has now brought out the beast in? I can't believe this. If this is how serious the Biafran matter has gotten, then I think it's time you people went your way.

Have you ever wonder how your Hausa neighbour whom you gist with everyday can just turn around at the mention of Allahu Akbar and draw a dagger o you, that's you can pull a gun at your Edo neighbour whom you share a beer and some literature with at the mention of Biafra. Byebye.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ibime(m): 9:30am On Jul 03, 2009
dnex:

@Ibime

na wah for you O! I knew I'd seen this ID somewhere before. So it is you whom we share poetry together and learn from each other that this word Biafra has now brought out the beast in? I can't believe this. If this is how serious the Biafran matter has gotten, then I think it's time you people went your way.

Have you ever wonder how your Hausa neighbour whom you gist with everyday can just turn around at the mention of Allahu Akbar and draw a dagger o you, that's you can pull a gun at your Edo neighbour whom you share a beer and some literature with at the mention of Biafra. Byebye.

That your poem sweet no be small. . . . I no know say na you be this sef grin grin grin. . . . oya, no vex. . . . . but your views on Ijaw and Igbo issues are highly inflammatory. . . . I wasnt even attacking you for this thread per se, but for all the bollocks you been spewing every time Ijaw and Biafra issues are mentioned. . .
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by dnex(m): 9:56am On Jul 03, 2009
Okay my brother, 'it is do' . Though I really was seeking meaning on this thread, but since it has caused so much inflammation. I give it up.

Take it easy O!
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Eziachi: 10:48am On Jul 03, 2009
dnex:

@Ibime

you ignorant lunatic, get the hell off my thread so learned people can come and contribute.

@Kobojunkie

I just wanted to know what meaning the word Biafra carried that it could inspire such passion and fever. That's my offence O! I thought there was a meaning that if translated to the rest of us, we will begin to understand why they act the way they do. Instead, one deranged confusionist is telling me about a bight. Well, at least the fool was sane enough to finally admit he wasn't sure. Is that not madness? When a man isn't sure what he's going haywire about.

Arewa means the north or the upper areas or zone.

Oodua is after the founder of the Yoruba whose original name Izoduwa means "I've chosen prosperity" so Oodua actually means prosperity.

I'm trying to find meaning and understand my agitated brothers and a gang of psychopaths just decided to start trailing and stalking me all over the place.

You kept asking this question. Why not read your Geography textbooks? Biafra is a geographical coinage just as you have coinage like Gulf of Guinea, Equatorial forest, Delta, so the area called Biafra was derived from Bight of Biafra with the Atlatic coast.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by muhsin(m): 11:59am On Jul 03, 2009
Is this thread mean to amuse people? Thanks. grin
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Yuno: 12:12pm On Jul 03, 2009
Quote: from dnex - yesterday

I'd like to know the meaning of this word it self or some kind of translation. Millions of people seem to be very passionate about Biafra, so I guess if we can be made to understand It's meaning, we will understand the zeal, the passion and the hope that Biafra carries with it.

I don't any connection between the origin of a georgraphic name and the meaning of a state or nation to its people. The question about the origin of the word Biafra is interesting but mostly irrelevant. I did a quick search online and couldnt really find anything about the origin of the word so i would say it probably doesnt have one (anymore). It may have been a European corruption of some random African word , who knows.

But keep in mind that the original meaning of the names of most European nations have been lost over time as well, nobody knows what Italy meant originally or what the origin of Hispania that became Spain is or where the word Scot originated, etc, etc, etc. , My point is it is not odd for the origin of geographical names to be lost.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by dnex(m): 1:00pm On Jul 03, 2009
Okay.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by tpiah: 2:28pm On Jul 03, 2009
and una go dey abuse Lugard!!!! Must emotion always cloud simple enquiries!

Biafra is derived from the name of an ancient kingdom in the Cameroon/central African area. It's listed on 16th and 17th century European maps as Biafar or Biafara.  Nothing is known about that kingdom however and nobody knows anything about the people or what happened to them.

How the name came to be applied to the bight of Biafra is anyone's guess.

Ojukwu made reference to this kingdom in one of his declarations- maybe the Aburi one.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by tpiah: 2:35pm On Jul 03, 2009
this is the earliest or only known description of the "Biafars" in an ancient manuscript.

http://images.library.wisc.edu/AfricaFocus/EFacs/Alvares01/reference/africafocus.alvares01.i0019.pdf

Note: the Biafars being referred to, werent located anywhere near Nigeria as we know it today, but somewhere between the Cameroon hinterland and the rest of central Africa.

Unless there was a large scale migration which nobody heard of, they arent the same as Biafrans.

author:

Alvares, Manuel, 1526-1583, et al. / Ethiopia Minor and a geographical account of the Province of Sierra Leone : (c. 1615)
(1990)

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/AfricaFocus/AfricaFocus-idx?id=AfricaFocus.Alvares01
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by dnex(m): 3:30pm On Jul 03, 2009
Yes, thank you very much. I have found what I'm looking for.

Somewhere in Cameroun, I'm sure there still is a tribe that may be able to translate this word.

By the time I'd searched everywhere for a translation of Biafra and found none, I began to suspect it may have been a Camerounian or Guinean word.

I am satisfied.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by russellino: 3:34pm On Jul 03, 2009
Biafra in the context of Nigerian politics and history refers to the defunct republic of biafra, the enclave of the people of the present south-eastern nigeria and part of the present south-south region of nigeria. It was the brain-child of radical students of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka who in direct response to the massacre of igbos living outside the region in 1966 demanded a separate state according to the U.N's right of self determination. It lasted for three years till the area was taken by federal government forces in 1970. Recent frustrations by indigenes of that region at the federal republic of nigeria have led to the formation of neo-biafran groups under the banner of massob
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 4:06pm On Jul 03, 2009
dnex:

Yes, thank you very much. I have found what I'm looking for.

Somewhere in Cameroun, I'm sure there still is a tribe that may be able to translate this word.

By the time I'd searched everywhere for a translation of Biafra and found none, I began to suspect it may have been a Camerounian or Guinean word.

I am satisfied. 

It's an ethnic group . . . . .

Biafada, Biafar of Guinea-Bissau

http://www.joshuaproject.net/peopctry.php?rog3=PU&rop3=101403
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Yuno: 4:44pm On Jul 03, 2009
Quote: Ezeagu - today
It's an ethnic group . . . . .

Biafada, Biafar of Guinea-Bissau

http://www.joshuaproject.net/peopctry.php?rog3=PU&rop3=101403

Hmmm interesting but the link doesnt mention any connection between them and the Biafra Bight name. I think the similarity is just a coincedence. It seems unlikely Europeans would have named a bay in far east of West Africa after a very very small tribe (even today only 40,000) that lives more than 2,000 miles away in far west of West Africa from the mentioned bay. Sounds like a coincedence to me and the terms are prob unrelated.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Ezeagu2: 4:56pm On Jul 03, 2009
Yuno:

Quote: Ezeagu - today

Hmmm interesting but the link doesnt mention any connection between them and the Biafra Bight name. I think the similarity is just a coincedence. It seems unlikely Europeans would have named a bay in far east of West Africa after a very very small tribe (even today only 40,000) that lives more than 2,000 miles away in far west of West Africa from the mentioned bay. Sounds like a coincedence to me and the terms are prob unrelated.

Well they didn't have satellite imaging back in the 14 and 1500's, they might have hit the area inhabited by the Biafar first and then later came to our area and got mistaken, maybe I don't know, but I know it can't be a coincidence because this is the only place 'Biafar' has a known root.

As you can we were called Benin because the Benin Empire was so powerful at that time.
[img]http://bell.lib.umn.edu/historical/H_af_m2.jpg[/img]
http://bell.lib.umn.edu/historical/H_af_m2.html
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Dede1(m): 5:05pm On Jul 03, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Are Ibos United under this claim of being held a RANSOM? Last I checked, the answer is NO and those with the BIAFRAN dream remain a huge minority, that is why that dream has remained just that, a dream for many,for so long. By the way, weren't the southern states forced to join the UNION back after the CIVIL wars in America? Would America not then qualify as a FAKE nation by your measurement?

It is one thing to be a clown and another to indulge in a clownish display in the public. It is very funny that few folks born out of Nigeria would want us to believe that smartness is part of their biological attributes. However, a trip to Nairaland would expose the sycophancy harboring in many of them.

When the civil war ended in USA, the confederate states were incorporated back into the Union without any punitive measures or institutionalized machination to marginalize the defeated southern states.

There were no abandoned properties, there were no financial constraints set upon the south and the victorious union did not place wedges in the military officer’s cadet intake as West Point and Annapolis military academies were thrown open to the people of southern states.

There was no draconian boundary adjustment predicated upon ceding crude oil producing areas of the confederate states to the neighboring states, the quest for higher learning was not truncated with quota system, economic development that was heavily marshaled to the southern states translated into more functional International airports and other business amenities in south than in the north and the socio-political re-integration of the confederate states saw the southern states producing more Presidents of the USA than the north.

Mere reading from the misguided write-ups posted by few delinquent morons, it is fair to conclude that it does not take a third grader to realize that the jungle called Nigeria is simply a bad joke.
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Jul 03, 2009
The Bight of Biafra ( Bonny ) is more to the east

[img]http://baymwsrender12.bay.prod.mappoint.net/render-30/getmap.aspx?key=9F3F7BBA8E2FFC35EDD8[/img]
Re: What Really Is Biafra? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 03, 2009
Topic.

Dont Know!.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Delta Already Has State Police Also / Nigerian Militery Distroys Over 100 Boko Haram Motorized Infantry Vehicles / Ooni's Burial Delayed As Man Designated To Be Buried Alongside King Absconds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.