Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,766 members, 7,813,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Married and Engaged Members Thread - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married and Engaged Members Thread (6240 Views)

"I Only Married And Stays With You Because Of The Way You Bang Me" -says My Wife / Is Being Married And Having Kids A Stumbling Block To One's Dreams And Goals. / For Married and soon to be married Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by fabian(f): 1:58pm On Nov 14, 2005
I don't think its realistic to think marriage will be perfect, without disagreements, without quarrels. infact, I would be bored!
These disagreements tend to draw one closer to his/her spouse and creates a better understanding of ones spouse to me.
What do you think?
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by Deeman(m): 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2005
many enter into marriage with the sole aim of receiving; while marriage is about giving and giving, its about trying to outgive one other:
sometimes you have to give even when you dont feel like or even if you feel your partner is not reciprocating enough.

by giving i mean attention, care, an helping hand , support etc.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by allonym: 3:47am On Nov 15, 2005
Seun:

Nothing happens without a reason. The fact that something "pops up from the blues" doesn't mean it has no cause. It simply means I don't know why it happened - maybe I was not attentive or I really don't have enough knowledge in the area of relationshps and communication. If you have knowledge about something, then when there is a problem at least you will know why and what your options are.

There are people that specialize in the dynamics of relationships and really have a lot of information about what makes relationships fail and what makes others work, but we don't utilize them. Instead we make assumptions based from our upbringing and culture, and we act based on our emotions.

True nothing happens without a reason, but most people are in relationships with humans. Unless you have nothing else to do that to spend a few minutes each day pondering your actions and words (and you'll have to spend some time while you SO is asleep anticipating anything and preparing quick responses so the other time you spend thinking doesn't get noticed), you are doomed to make a mistake. For couples who spend a lot of time together, ie 12+ hours a day, the opportunities for you to do something that would get on the other person's nerves are greatly increased.

Since you're typically in a reciprocative relationship, you expect to be able to be yourself and that your partner would accept most of your faults. However, unless you are one of those rare very small number of faults people and your partner is the same, chances are if you are in the spend lots of time together group, you cannot get away from chipping away at your SO's patience. As a result, you'd tend to have arguments.

Another thing is that humans take the good or the expected for granted and we get upset with bad or unexpected. When the microphone works at an event, we don't thank or appreciate the sound ppl. When the mic acts up, then we're like, wtf is up with those idiots? Or we don't always think to show our appreciation for someone holding the door for us. But the day the door slams in our faces, either accidentally or on purpose, we blow up.

Additionally, as human, we have longer memories of things that hurt us. Its how we condition reflexes from birth. Tell a child not to play with matches, you have a slim chance of the kid paying attention. Have the child burn themselves, you can be sure unless they are pyromaniacs or masochistic, they will have learned the lesson. I'm betting that people here (on this forum) memories of their worst spankings as kids (for those who are no longer kids) is more vivid that most memories of nice happy times.

So, we tend to remember the arguments more in a relationship, especially in the heat of another one. At those times, couples are at their weakest because what's foremost in mind is typically no the good parts of your SO. However, it cannot be escaped and for those couples who want to make things work and truely love each other, its an opportunity to blow off steam and can raise issues for calm discussion afterwards.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by monister(f): 5:06am On Nov 15, 2005
allonym:

True nothing happens without a reason, but most people are in relationships with humans. Unless you have nothing else to do that to spend a few minutes each day pondering your actions and words (and you'll have to spend some time while you SO is asleep anticipating anything and preparing quick responses so the other time you spend thinking doesn't get noticed), you are doomed to make a mistake. For couples who spend a lot of time together, ie 12+ hours a day, the opportunities for you to do something that would get on the other person's nerves are greatly increased.

Since you're typically in a reciprocative relationship, you expect to be able to be yourself and that your partner would accept most of your faults. However, unless you are one of those rare very small number of faults people and your partner is the same, chances are if you are in the spend lots of time together group, you cannot get away from chipping away at your SO's patience. As a result, you'd tend to have arguments.

Another thing is that humans take the good or the expected for granted and we get upset with bad or unexpected. When the microphone works at an event, we don't thank or appreciate the sound people. When the mic acts up, then we're like, wtf is up with those idiots? Or we don't always think to show our appreciation for someone holding the door for us. But the day the door slams in our faces, either accidentally or on purpose, we blow up.

Additionally, as human, we have longer memories of things that hurt us. Its how we condition reflexes from birth. Tell a child not to play with matches, you have a slim chance of the kid paying attention. Have the child burn themselves, you can be sure unless they are pyromaniacs or masochistic, they will have learned the lesson. I'm betting that people here (on this forum) memories of their worst spankings as kids (for those who are no longer kids) is more vivid that most memories of nice happy times.

So, we tend to remember the arguments more in a relationship, especially in the heat of another one. At those times, couples are at their weakest because what's foremost in mind is typically no the good parts of your SO. However, it cannot be escaped and for those couples who want to make things work and truely love each other, its an opportunity to blow off steam and can raise issues for calm discussion afterwards.

i totally agree with this..

monister
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by SirKay3(m): 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2005
@ allonym

That's great.

All, marriage is sweet, though very sacrificial. Remember that prayer is the key for a successful one
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by alheri(f): 11:26am On Nov 16, 2005
yes oh,sir kay. prayer is the KEY!
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by axeprince(m): 5:32pm On Nov 16, 2005
I took my time to read all the postings on this thread, and I must confess, I have leanrt something.

My relation"ship " has entered stormy waters, rocked seriuos, and I am only hoping that it doesn't go down like the Titanic.(Don't mind my play on words, it's true)

To all contributors.....THANK YOU.

I hope to come add something after my marriage, although, I still don't know when.

undecided
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by alheri(f): 10:28am On Nov 17, 2005
@axeprince. am glad youve learnt something from this thread, thats the whole idea. i really hope you'd be able to share your experiences with us soon. we all like to learn from each other and help each other out in our time of need. Nairalanders have been there for me, they'll be there for you to if you let them.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by cy(f): 4:53pm On Nov 17, 2005
am new here,luvd wat ave read so far,think i wud still watch before commenting huh cheesy
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by alheri(f): 10:44am On Nov 18, 2005
@cy. you better comment oh!! grin
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by SirKay3(m): 8:38pm On Nov 18, 2005
@ axeprince

Don't worry, just depend on God to help you out. It's not easy but prayer is the key
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by axeprince(m): 1:02pm On Nov 19, 2005
@alheri...I will keep it in mind to keep you posted.

@Sir Kay..thank you for the advice, I think you should have added the unconditional sacrifice that has to come along with the prayer.

Only God can direct ones part on issues like this.

Thank you all once again.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by SirKay3(m): 3:25pm On Nov 19, 2005
@ axeprince

The sacrifices are so many, but don't worry, God'ld see you through. I've been married for 9yrs and God has been there for us always
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by natasha: 11:03am On Nov 21, 2005
I think u need God in every relationship. and 4 ur marriage to work, u also need to understand ur spouse very well. U must also learn to say sorry even when u don't mean it. and u must learn to appreciate ur spouse, cos u never know he might be gone the next day.
Those things i've mentioned have really helped me in my marrigae. I'm not the kind of person dt says sorry to guys especially, but i've learnt to say 'm sorry in marriage and it has really cooled tensions. But above all, u must love ur spouse, cos everyone makes mistakes, and u won't see a reason to apologise to ur spouse if there's no love.
below are some tips that makes my marriages work as a lady:

RESPECT: Let ur man know he's the head of the home, no matter what u contribute. never make decisions without seeking his opinions. iT is scriptural, it is also an african tradition. Never let Over-civilisation or illiteracy in the name of i'm a "graduate"deprieve u from keeping ur home. The fact dt ur boyfriend tolerated ur insolence and disrespects while courting does not mean he will tolerate that in marriage cos i know most men do not.
PRAYER: Pray for ur spouse every day As he goes about he's daily activity. Learn to thank God for making ur man a better husband.
Understand: There are times when he just wants to reflect over certain things in life as a man. give him the chance to do so and please do not think he's thinking of some other girls. Trust ur man and do not listen to rumour mongers. take corrections
LOVE and HONOUR ur spouse.
Do these things as a lady, and ur marriage will last a lifetime in love

i have never regretted marrying my husband. We have our own shares of quarrels but we make up before dusk so that we can look into each other's eyes the next morning and from the depts of our hearts say "I love U'.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by Timmi: 8:15pm On Sep 27, 2007
This is an interesting thread. Having being married for 26-years so far and making love with the same woman for 27-years, I believe I have something to offer. The secret to lasting and enjoyable marriage is PRAYER. There will be disagreements, some loud some quiet, even to the point of having the children involved. But, the resolution is to know that the disagreement is about personal issues and not about the union. Feelings have to be separated and understood that they are just feelings and those do change. Love does not change.

In addtion, Love is long-suffering, literally, there will be "suffering" in love, but if put in proper perspective and understanding, then Love endures all. Love your wife/husband for who he/she is and not who you want the person to be. If you cannot do that, then marraige will suffer. Trust, inspite of. Put jealous in its proper place, we are only jealous for/over the people that we love. Learn to laugh, even in the midst of argument and disagreement. Don't sleep over disagreements/fights, rather resolve to end all fights the same day. By all means, do not share your marital problems with anyone, especially friends. Enjoy each other's company. Don't let work or friends get in the way of having a date with each other. No matter how long you have been married, still go out on a date once a week. Lastly, but not the least, Enjoy Sex, that is the glue, don't deny each other the enjoyment of sex, and don't you this as a tool.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by idea(m): 5:03pm On Oct 05, 2007
Alheri, nice replies, keep it up. I have been married for some months. I have had some trying times though but I don't regret being young and married.
I agree with Timmi, I think marriage is all about being very patient and understanding coupled with prayers. I think it's very nice to keep family and friends(third parties) separate from your marriage else,
Timmi, thanks for your lines, they are really encouraging to people like us that are todllers in the game. Remain blessed.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by kaypinchi(m): 10:37pm On Oct 11, 2007
@ Timmi

I hail you o! U need to put a lot of posts here so that we can learn more from you.
I guess you've summarised it all sha. Nice post.

But why do women let go after marriage; i.e. thay fail to keep up the spice that attracted their spouse in the first place. I keep wondering.
I see marriage as a journey and not a destination. A lot of women see the former. Why?
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by joshjosh(m): 5:28pm On Feb 19, 2008
I think u need God in every relationship. and 4 your marriage to work, u also need to understand your spouse very well. You must also learn to say sorry even when u don't mean it. and u must learn to appreciate your spouse, because u never know he might be gone the next day.
Those things i've mentioned have really helped me in my marrigae. I'm not the kind of person dt says sorry to guys especially, but i've learnt to say 'm sorry in marriage and it has really cooled tensions. But above all, u must love your spouse, because everyone makes mistakes, and u won't see a reason to apologise to your spouse if there's no love.
below are some tips that makes my marriages work as a lady:

RESPECT: Let your man know he's the head of the home, no matter what u contribute. never make decisions without seeking his opinions. iT is scriptural, it is also an african tradition. Never let Over-civilisation or illiteracy in the name of i'm a "graduate"deprieve u from keeping your home. The fact dt your boyfriend tolerated your insolence and disrespects while courting does not mean he will tolerate that in marriage because i know most men do not.
PRAYER: Pray for your spouse every day As he goes about he's daily activity. Learn to thank God for making your man a better husband.
Understand: There are times when he just wants to reflect over certain things in life as a man. give him the chance to do so and please do not think he's thinking of some other girls. Trust your man and do not listen to rumour mongers. take corrections
LOVE and HONOUR your spouse.
Do these things as a lady, and your marriage will last a lifetime in love

i have never regretted marrying my husband. We have our own shares of quarrels but we make up before dusk so that we can look into each other's eyes the next morning and from the depts of our hearts say "I love You'.

a word from a very wise woman
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by joshjosh(m): 5:30pm On Feb 19, 2008
This is an interesting thread. Having being married for 26-years so far and making love with the same woman for 27-years, I believe I have something to offer. The secret to lasting and enjoyable marriage is PRAYER. There will be disagreements, some loud some quiet, even to the point of having the children involved. But, the resolution is to know that the disagreement is about personal issues and not about the union. Feelings have to be separated and understood that they are just feelings and those do change. Love does not change.

In addtion, Love is long-suffering, literally, there will be "suffering" in love, but if put in proper perspective and understanding, then Love endures all. Love your wife/husband for who he/she is and not who you want the person to be. If you cannot do that, then marraige will suffer. Trust, inspite of. Put jealous in its proper place, we are only jealous for/over the people that we love. Learn to laugh, even in the midst of argument and disagreement. Don't sleep over disagreements/fights, rather resolve to end all fights the same day. By all means, do not share your marital problems with anyone, especially friends. Enjoy each other's company. Don't let work or friends get in the way of having a date with each other. No matter how long you have been married, still go out on a date once a week. Lastly, but not the least, Enjoy Sex, that is the glue, don't deny each other the enjoyment of sex, and don't you this as a tool.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by almondjoy(f): 5:35pm On Feb 19, 2008
The best thing is the companionship/kids.  You are never lonely. cool

The worst thing is the fights. Thank God no violence.  They do not happen all the time but when they occur, there are a lot of regrets I swear! grin  The apologies usually last for years to come till the next argument.  Everyone is cussed from ancestors to unborn children on both sides. No one is spared in the tirade oooooooooooooooooooooooh! grin

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Mixed blessings! A constant circus requiring some serious balancing acts. cool Let us just say you learn to be a "gambler" learning how to play the right set of cards to ensure a winning hand in the end--a successful marriage.

Chai!  Married for 26 years!

We go reach there so? undecided
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by amsky(m): 8:21pm On Feb 19, 2008
Almondjoy why we no go reach there?? we don reach am pass i tell you.

Marriage is a very very very big puzzle.Everyone just has to learn to solve it in his/her own way. There are times when i feel like packing up and running back to my parents, There are times when you ask yourself'' what on earth am i doing in this man's house?''

On the other hand,there are times when you feel you cannot survive without him. Na wa for marriage o. Like people have written here, patience,tolerance and prayer are the ingredients to a happy marriage. We must get there.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by almondjoy(f): 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2008
amsky:

Almondjoy why we no go reach there?? we don reach am pass i tell you.

Marriage is a[b] very very very big puzzle[/b].Everyone just has to learn to solve it in his/her own way. There are times when i feel like packing up and running back to my parents, There are times when you ask yourself'' what on earth am i doing in this man's house?''

On the other hand,there are times when you feel you cannot survive without him.

Na wa for marriage o. Like people have written here, patience,tolerance and prayer are the ingredients to a happy marriage. We must get there.

You know now! I say na wah!  Chaiii  One of the most difficult things I ever had to do in ma life!

You dey make me laff ooooooooooooooooooh!

My biggest question I ask like every 6 months or so is "who sent me message?".  Then everyother 6 months I will be jumping up and down praising God for giving me such an angel. Till he turns to a devil again, or I turn to Jezebel. grin

My parents have reassured all of us that there is no space in their house.  They do not want to see any of us there at all. cheesy

26 years na long time oooooooooooooooooh!  Like you said we have already got there! Amen!  kiss

I am already seeing that promised land. cheesy 

What a long journey! shocked
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by chika98: 1:51am On Feb 20, 2008
I know right. Marriage no be beans oh. if your not patient then pls don't bother. Not that I would know sha cuz am not married
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by rjimid(m): 2:14am On Feb 20, 2008
Marriage is just that, a unity of two single people. Can't be just one of them thinking "married". It does take two, because EVERY day is a give and take. Because it works - when you have love and friendship you give as much as you can, and when you have love and friendship you can feel comfortable taking too because you know that the other person is willing to give. The problem is that too many people try to base marriage on too many things. "Things" don't make a marriage, two best friends MAKE a marriage. It takes two to make it, and just one to break it.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by odiaseo(m): 12:34pm On Feb 20, 2008
I have been married just over 14 months now and I must say it has been a life changing experience. I'm glad I attended marriage conferences before marriage, things would have been more difficult to understand if I hadn't.

We have had rough times, challenges and struggles and I attribute this to the fact that we were both being real and ourselves. Looking back I am happy we got to understand who we really were early in marriage. We now understand ourselves better and our love is ever growing strong.

I have put together 7 things I understood better 12 months into marriage, I do hope it would be a blessing to others. Marriage is good but it requires total dedication, hard work and equal investments from both parties.
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by joshjosh(m): 12:47pm On Feb 20, 2008
@ amsky and AJ. hope you guys are well? i trust you will get there. just keep being there. they say the best thing to do is report for duty daily. i am about to start my duty just 4 months away. it looks like the month is dragging now. AJ are you responsible for this?

@amsky how is your hubby and shapey?

have a blessed day
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by almondjoy(f): 2:09pm On Feb 20, 2008
joshjosh:

@ amsky and AJ. hope you guys are well? i trust you will get there. just keep being there. they say the best thing to do is report for duty daily. i am about to start my duty just 4 months away. it looks like the month is dragging now. AJ are you responsible for this?

@amsky how is your hubby and shapey?

have a blessed day

Congratulations joshjosh! cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin  Yes!  I am responsible for the dragging months, because enjoy it while it lasts. I am happy you are excited.  But it is not easy. But you are the kind that WILL succeed.  Just learn to laugh a lot and never go to bed mad. kiss

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  It is easier for the carmel to pass through the eye of a needle even without it's hump grin

The good news is that it gets better as it gets older. Although some people are not that lucky. 

It is a good feeling though.  You take the good with the bad. And hope that the good days are more than the bad days.  Right now, we are in the  "I don tire---God be the pilot phase"! grin  Everyone is having a good time without paying the other any mind at all.  Nothing to bitch about anymore---except Nairaland of course!. cool Please if any wahala you know you can count on us! cool

Have a blessed day too hon'!
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by face007(f): 6:14pm On Feb 22, 2008
I am married and i av a son,marriage is al about tolerance,u get 2 see 2 other side of ur spouse dat u've neva seen b4 when u guys get married,like u 2,but if u guys truely love eachother,notin can come inbtw u 2.most of d times married couple quarrel over little things,men can easily leave d house when they are angry,but women cant especialy wen u av kids
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by Busta(f): 6:15pm On Feb 22, 2008
I like this thread!
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by TOYOSI20(f): 1:31am On Feb 23, 2008
I'm learing new things, I like that. cheesy
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by spoilt(f): 1:54am On Feb 24, 2008
The whole marriage thing for me has been a learning experience. It has taught me patience, self control and what have you. I've rediscovered myself and have had to grow up in a hurry. Anyway I am not in your conventional marriage. undecided
Re: Married and Engaged Members Thread by Nobody: 2:11am On Feb 24, 2008
I love being married.
turn here,shoulder,turn there "abunna"
I simply love it. cheesy
who else will I take out my hormonal rages at ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Paid For My School Fees / The Bitter Experience That Taught Me A Lesson To Save Money (True Story) / 20 Qualities Of A Gentleman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.