Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,317 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die (1786 Views)

Akwa Ibom Girl Abandoned By Family And Left To Die, Rescued (Photo) / Farmer Who Welcomed Triplets In Benue And Left, Finally Returns. Photos / Akwa-Ibom Baby Left To Starve & Die For Being A Witch In Healthy-Looking Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Maikey: 8:04pm On Feb 16, 2016
Hope was starving and riddled with worms after being dumped by his family and living on the streets for eight months

A heartbreaking series of photographs shows the moment an emaciated two-year-old Nigerian boy, riddled with worms and reportedly abandoned by his family because they thought he was a witch, is given water by an aid worker.

He had lived on the streets for eight months, surviving on scraps and whatever he could find, before being discovered by Anja Ringgren Lovén, the Danish founder of the African Children's Aid Education and Development Foundation.

In the pictures – which went viral online bringing in 1 million Danish Krone (£104,000) from wellwishers - she is seen helping him drink water.

She then wrapped the boy in a blanket and took him to the nearest hospital.

After two days of care, she wrote that his condition had greatly improved.

“He’s taking food for himself, and he responds to the medicine he gets," she wrote in a blog post. "Today he has had powers to sit up and smiling at us. He’s a strong little boy. To see him sit and play with my own son is without doubt the greatest experience of my life! I just don’t know how to describe it in words.”

She added that she had named the boy Hope (a word she has tattooed on her knuckles).

Ms Loven set up her charity three years ago to help children accused of being witches. She said it was problem with wide-reaching effects.

“Thousands of children are being accused of being witches and we've both seen torture of children, dead children and frightened children,” she wrote in a Facebook post accompanying the pictures of Hope.

“This footage shows why I fight. Why I sold everything I own.”

She said that Hope was battling worms but added that he would soon be well enough to join the other children she looks after in Uyo, southern Nigeria.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/nigeria/12158943/Aid-worker-rescues-two-year-old-Nigerian-boy-accused-of-being-a-witch.html?sf20995587=1

I know there are mysteries in Life, but why bring a child into this world only to accuse said child of witchcraft and abandon him!

In my opinion, only a witch begets a witch! Therefore you the accusers are also guilty of witchcraft if there's anything like that

• Look at the Danish Lady even with so much ink on her body, she has a big heart to support and care for kids 'tattooless people' have abandoned... Lets stop judging people by their appearance!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by ladyF(f): 8:07pm On Feb 16, 2016
Oh my....poor little kid. Tears actually built up in my eyes reading this. A 2-year old living on the streets for 8 months? cry Thank God help has come his way. Religion has really blinded the reasoning of some people. Somebody that has done absolutely nothing wrong!!!

The parents of the child should rot in jail!!! And they will ask God to give them more children.
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by EHMIR(m): 8:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
#teamhopesmiley
how many likes for him?

1 Like

Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Nobody: 8:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
I am crying and smiling at the same time. What a cute boy.

Let me not say anything about Nigeria now, it would be unfair and rude. angry angry angry

Anja should be careful, they will soon accuse her of witchcraft too for having tattoos all over her body.

Welcome to the jungle!

1 Like

Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by jmichlins(m): 8:11pm On Feb 16, 2016
The people who left that child there are worse than devil. I hope they pay for their sins in this life
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by chiefolododo(m): 8:17pm On Feb 16, 2016
I can't speak for d boy now , o god deliver me
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by mymadam(m): 8:26pm On Feb 16, 2016
jmichlins:
The people who left that child there are worse than devil. I hope they pay for their sins in this life

Amen, they surely will... along with several others like them sad
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 16, 2016
jmichlins:

Forgive them for they know not what they do. undecided
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by EfemenaXY: 8:44pm On Feb 16, 2016
The evil that men do.

How can a "mother" retire for the night, bolt and lock down the doors of her home, knowing her 2 year old son - the child she carried for nine months in the womb and gave birth to, is out there alone in the dark, unprotected?

Didn't his cries move her? Or the dad?

Those are the real witches and wizards.
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Mariecakes(f): 8:47pm On Feb 16, 2016
OMG shocked
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 16, 2016
EfemenaXY:
The evil that men do.

How can a "mother" retire for the night, bolt and lock down the doors of her home, knowing her 2 year old son - the child she carried for nine months in the womb and gave birth to, is out there alone in the dark, unprotected?

Didn't his cries move her? Or the dad?

Those are the real witches and wizards.

I am not capable of understanding what could cause a woman to entirely disconnect from her natural instinct to protect her child. undecided cry
I can't even feel angry with her because something tells me that something is very wrong with her.
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by EfemenaXY: 8:50pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

I am not capable of understanding what could cause a woman to entirely disconnect from her natural instinct to protect her child. undecided cry
I can't even feel angry with her because something tells me that something is very wrong with her.

It's common practice in some regions. Documentaries have been made attesting to it.

Let's just put it all down to acute ignorance and poverty.
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Nobody: 9:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
EfemenaXY:

It's common practice in some regions. Documentaries have been made attesting to it.

Let's just put it all down to acute ignorance and poverty.

Is it really poverty? I wonder.
I have a lovely neighbor, a white, elderly lady who loves telling stories of her childhood. She was a teenager when WW II ended and she says that many people were very poor back in the day but she always mentions how poverty made them stick to each other in loving kindness and how supportive and hospitable everyone was. It always makes me wonder if it is selective memory or if people in other parts of the world handled poverty differently. undecided
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by EfemenaXY: 9:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

Is it really poverty? I wonder.
I have a lovely neighbor, a white, elderly lady who loves telling stories of her childhood. She was a teenager when WW II ended and she says that many people were very poor back in the day but she always mentions how poverty made them stick to each other in loving kindness and how supportive and hospitable everyone was. It always makes me wonder if it is selective memory or if people in other parts of the world handled poverty differently. undecided

Poverty on it's own won't drive a parent to turn a blind eye to a "pastor" drilling a nail into their 5 year old daughter's head to drive out witchcraft.

Ignorance plays a huge part.
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by jashar(f): 9:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
We Nigerians can sometimes behave like...
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by jmichlins(m): 9:35pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

Forgive them for they know not what they do. undecided
forgiveness is of the lord but until then, they will have the taste of hell
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by jmichlins(m): 9:40pm On Feb 16, 2016
mymadam:

Amen, they surely will... along with several others like them sad
the whites will make heaven before the blacks not because they are righteous but because this evil will never happen around them. This woman gave the poor boy water when many left him to care for himself for eight months. The good Samarithan comes to mind
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Nobody: 10:02pm On Feb 16, 2016
jmichlins:
forgiveness is of the lord but until then, they will have the taste of hell

Why? Was it not your God, the Almighty and the All-Knowing who created them like this?
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by jmichlins(m): 10:12pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

Why? Was it not your God, the Almighty and the All-Knowing who created them like this?
my GOD is a loving father and nobody is witch
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 16, 2016
jmichlins:
my GOD is a loving father and nobody is witch

A loving father who is roasting his own children in hell? I see.
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by jmichlins(m): 10:28pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

A loving father who is roasting his own children in hell? I see.
you can say what you like about him but we that know him knows that he is not what you think of him. Having said that the people that did this to that boy need to experience hell
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by tobisco29(m): 10:36pm On Feb 16, 2016
what a pity even there are still many other children out there.
Nice job African Children's Aid Education and Development Foundation
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by PresVA: 7:56am On Feb 17, 2016
Can't hold back tears..jeeezz cry cry
So people are still this ignorant in Nigeria? Some other kids may be going through same now cry cry
God help Nigeria; We need more love, compassion and human feeling. .

Thank you African Children's Aid Education and Development Foundation.. more power to your elbow kiss kiss

Hope is destined for greatness smiley smiley
Re: Meet Hope: 2 Year Old Boy Accused Of Witchcraft And Left To Die by chommyAngela: 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2016
gosh!!! which state did dis happen? This is sooooo touching. The parents are heartless.more God blessings to u little cute boy.ur a great child.

(1) (Reply)

For The Mature And Married Mind Only / 70th Birthday Program For Mum / How Do I Cure Dandruff.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.