Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 (22084 Views)

Naira Faces Further Decline On Continued Dollar Scarcity / Dollar Scarcity: Traders Throng Aba, Onitsha, Lagos, Kano Markets - Punch / Dollar Scarcity: Parents Of Overseas Students Weep In Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Lilimax(f): 12:34pm On Feb 17, 2016
jornie:

Browsky,Naira is not yet valueless,infact the exchange rate of 1 dollar to naira is still 199.25 naira in the globalmarket.The reason for the high cost of the dollar is its scarcity, this is a result of our already depleted foreign reserve current ,i read its only 16 billion dollars now and cant run the cost our imports even for 6 months.so, the Govt. is currently trying to build it up while stylishly forcing sellers to accept naira as legal tender and encouraging patronage of locally made goods.Which is a good thing.A lot of people are ignorant of this because they only want here bad news when this is actually a good news..in my own opinion tho.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1+dollar+to+naira&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8(Google exchange rate index)

3 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by scarffield(m): 12:36pm On Feb 17, 2016
Crazy things ppl do cox of likes!
Psylas:
"like" if you think l'm s.tupid!
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Joarams(m): 12:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
twoondei:
Meanwhile, as the Naira drops, purchasing power reduces and salaries aren't increasing.

People become poorer.

But who really needs the dollar if not for our over-reliance on imports. The South Korean Won changes for 1,225 to $1. Do you think they're suffering in South Korea?

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Joarams(m): 12:48pm On Feb 17, 2016
Sant1m:
The ignorance of people is pissing me off, have you ever heard Manufactures Association of Nigeria(MAN) complain that the high price of Dollar is driving them out of business? No,,, because it is to their advantage. They can now compete in price with importers. PMB is fighting to build local capacity and growth yet most of us are ignorant about this. What PMB is saying look, i will not deregulate, we will keep funding local MAN and all those who wants to import raw materials and machinery from the official market at 197, for those who ve the desire to import wine, tomato paste, yatch, planes, school fees etc go source your dollars yourself at 340 or above. Devaluation means NNPc will be importing at 340 and this will lead to increase in pump price, demand for salary increase, Fg and local manufacturers paying more for salaries, high inflation, importers having the advantage again and pricing MAN out of the market, loss of jobs and the country staring the circle over again. People should stop listening to Times, CNN, Blomberg they can and will never desire we become self reliant and produce at home, it is not to their Govt best interest.
Nations that took the leap make hard choices, it comes as a deliberate ploy to favour local manufacturing over imports. Its unfortunate we no longer support or look at things objectively. PMB is right on this. If truly the price of dollar at 340 is not to the advantage of local manufacturers why is it that the price of imported items or goods have not risen in proportion to the rise in dollar at the parrarel market? Simple, they want to still compete in pricing with local manufacturers. If this is sustained most of them will ve no choice other than to go into producing those items here, thereby employing Nigerians. That is PMB's desire.

To add to your expose. For those who have genuine business to do with dollars (e.g. paying for school fees abroad), they can still apply for dollars at the official rate of NGN199 to $1 plus bank charges. I'm a living witness to this. So why are so many people complaining?

2 Likes

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by godoluwa(m): 12:52pm On Feb 17, 2016
@sant1m, you seems not to understand how things works in Nigeria. the current trend will kill sme & local manufucter. the mobile phone/laptop that u use to reply me was manufactured at where? motor vehicle/motorcycles r frm where? ordinary transistor radio is from where? some keep on screaming patronize local products only & i laughed at their ignorance. buhari that made the law, where did her daughter av her education? wheres buhari personal doctor? yet he ban forex for overseas tuition & medical purposes. go to the market & know the prices of daily needs. as per all this ban toothpicks, tomatoe paste etc, i'm in support of banning irrelevant things bt are you saying we should drive phone dealer out of business? common satchet water now cost 10naira because the cost of production is on the high side. devaluation is inevitable & failure to act fast will do the economy more harm.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by justi4jesu(f): 12:59pm On Feb 17, 2016
scarffield:
Crazy things ppl do cox of likes!

Allow him, it is allowed wink
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Temptee101(m): 1:01pm On Feb 17, 2016
Atlantian:
My Oh My, this is the Era that the yahoo yahoo internet guys are kings. Who will teach me the business ?
Bro i tell you, one of my guys into it just bought clean Toyota spider 2015 model last week Friday
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by jornie(m): 1:03pm On Feb 17, 2016
H

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by modath(f): 1:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
Joarams:

To add to your expose. For those who have genuine business to do with dollars (e.g. paying for school fees abroad), they can still apply for dollars at the official rate of NGN199 to $1 plus bank charges. I'm a living witness to this. So why are so many people complaining?

Cos that's all they know, what's even funny is that 99% of the folks doing the cry cry don't even have need or can even afford to do anything Forex related!!

Importation dem nor dey do, Visa dem nor get, buy online they can't afford to but it suits their purpose/ sentiments to yap online... don't know the magic they expect in a crude oil 30$ P.B mono export economy...

I have 2 people close too me who got USD @ 197.5 within the last few days, 1 for form A medical bills transferred to her hOspital & the other for PTA to travel....

We need to be self sufficient as a nation, so sooner rather than later, either we find a way to revive our manufacturing sector or the importers will prevail on the china biz folks to set up factories here, something just gotta give..... can't stay this way forever..
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by bigtt76(f): 1:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
Come on! I nor daft yaaa. If CBN is complaining about dwindling forex reserve because of all those sily imports and restricting our cards for international transactions, it goes on to show that CBN draws from the reserve to settle the foreign payments on our behalf. On the other hand, by making dollars scarce in the market and still restricting our cards, I should believe that they don't have to draw from the forex reserve to settle anything since we did not or could not carry out a transaction using our cards tongue I hope it answers your doubt.

emzila:

can you tell us the relationship between the reduction in foreign reserve and the scarcity and what you think the government can do to avoid depleting the reserve. u sound like one who just want to talk because others are talking and unfortunately your likes like your comment.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Mavrick2012: 1:51pm On Feb 17, 2016
Oladimejy:
Biafra pikin spoted
sir,am sorry to say,your problem is not just "tribalised mentality" but also "absence of objectivity".pikin who sees nothing wrong in a govt who budgets 168mil for only villa electricity is a pikin crassly missing in common-objectivity.AM SORRY.lol

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Suyaman2015: 1:52pm On Feb 17, 2016
I have been to all the banks where I have accounts, called all the account officers, heads of branches I know and NO ONE has BTA! I have a legitimate small business that brings forex into the country from foreign clients. We are a service business but most of our clients are in Nigeria and I need to travel and buy equipment and use forex for legitimate business operations. It is only people ignorant of real world operations that think that it is easy to get the naira at offical rate. The Majority of us doing legitimate small to medium business CAN NOT get money at the offical rate. If anyone has real world experience (not theoretical concepts) about how to get naira at offical rate to pay for international services, travel, equipment repair, purchase of small equipment please do share with us. This naira devaluation is driving us out of business, because our clients cannot pay more for our services at a time when there isn't much money circualting and if something is not done fast my 11 staff will be out of work.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by YoungBrain: 1:56pm On Feb 17, 2016
@modath

I do not know of any bank that is giving PTA, they all claim that they
are not honouring such requests at the moment.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 17, 2016
Where is this zombie?

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by modath(f): 2:16pm On Feb 17, 2016
YoungBrain:

@modath

I do not know of any bank that is giving PTA, they all claim that they
are not honouring such requests at the moment.

They all get allocation of 100k (2.5m USD for the 25 banks) every Friday but they lie & engage in sharp practices...

3 banks are a bit fair. .. Stanbic, Standard Chartered & Jaiz banks.. They sell soon as they get , they sell to account holders who had previously applied... others just do arbitrage & give CBN fictitious names & docs but now CBN is one step ahead of them...

Now CBN has mandated that they publish the names of people they sell to with details (BVN, PP NOs, etc), will see how the GTs, Zeniths, etc will get round it....

@ suyaman2015 .... I'm not a bank marketer but you need to cast your net beyond GT, skye, First, Zenith & co, they are not fair, they have "preferred customers"
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Alertz3(m): 2:17pm On Feb 17, 2016
352 is old story. Somebody exchange for 363 this afternoon at Maitama Abj.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by lightdotcom: 2:25pm On Feb 17, 2016
What if the CBN should change the money policy especially as it concerns Western Union money transfers. Let beneficiaries of WU money transfer be paid in $, €, £. Dont know may be this can help reduce scarcity of the dollar.

1 Like

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by babeface3: 3:06pm On Feb 17, 2016
pls what is the exchange rate of Naira to other currencies like Euro and Pound Sterling?
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Pesuzok(m): 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
Sant1m:
The ignorance of people is pissing me off, have you ever heard Manufactures Association of Nigeria(MAN) complain that the high price of Dollar is driving them out of business? No,,, because it is to their advantage. They can now compete in price with importers. PMB is fighting to build local capacity and growth yet most of us are ignorant about this. What PMB is saying look, i will not deregulate, we will keep funding local MAN and all those who wants to import raw materials and machinery from the official market at 197, for those who ve the desire to import wine, tomato paste, yatch, planes, school fees etc go source your dollars yourself at 340 or above. Devaluation means NNPc will be importing at 340 and this will lead to increase in pump price, demand for salary increase, Fg and local manufacturers paying more for salaries, high inflation, importers having the advantage again and pricing MAN out of the market, loss of jobs and the country staring the circle over again. People should stop listening to Times, CNN, Blomberg they can and will never desire we become self reliant and produce at home, it is not to their Govt best interest.
Nations that took the leap make hard choices, it comes as a deliberate ploy to favour local manufacturing over imports. Its unfortunate we no longer support or look at things objectively. PMB is right on this. If truly the price of dollar at 340 is not to the advantage of local manufacturers why is it that the price of imported items or goods have not risen in proportion to the rise in dollar at the parrarel market? Simple, they want to still compete in pricing with local manufacturers. If this is sustained most of them will ve no choice other than to go into producing those items here, thereby employing Nigerians. That is PMB's desire.
I couldn't have said it better. So many ignorant people in the country, ask them what they want dollars for, majority will mention things like phone, charger etc. this is an opportunity for the smart ones. Look for equipment or machinery to import and approach CBN for forex. We import everything from China even ordinary phone charger and battery bank. What are the electronics engineering graduates doing, looking for non existent jobs. It's hitting me hard because I have foreign school fees to pay, but it's my choice so I shouldn't blame the govt. maybe we want CBN to open up the foreign reserves for us to deplete it. It's simple, the country is no longer earning enough forex.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Sant1m: 3:26pm On Feb 17, 2016
Joarams:

Thanks man, the need to ruch into criticising any thing APC, without thinking. Your experience has even proven that PMB is on the right track. I want to ask critics of This Govt, Who funds the parallel or black marker?
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Pesuzok(m): 3:29pm On Feb 17, 2016
https://twitter.com/folabimartins/status/698100020403372032

Check out stanbic sales, can we see those that bought at the official rate and the purposes

Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Sant1m: 4:05pm On Feb 17, 2016
godoluwa:
@sant1m, you seems not to understand how things works in Nigeria. the current trend will kill sme & local manufucter. the mobile phone/laptop that u use to reply me was manufactured at where? motor vehicle/motorcycles r frm where? ordinary transistor radio is from where? some keep on screaming patronize local products only & i laughed at their ignorance. buhari that made the law, where did her daughter av her education? wheres buhari personal doctor? yet he ban forex for overseas tuition & medical purposes. go to the market & know the prices of daily needs. as per all this ban toothpicks, tomatoe paste etc, i'm in support of banning irrelevant things bt are you saying we should drive phone dealer out of business? common satchet water now cost 10naira because the cost of production is on the high side. devaluation is inevitable & failure to act fast will do the economy more harm.
Long before PMB sachet water had been sold at 10naira, now! I want to ask, who funds the parallel market?. Why are after the survival of phone companies and motorcycle companies abroad? Isn't it best for our business men to attract Nokia and Suzuki to open a manufacturing outfit here and enjoy the official rate of 199 for all their spare parts import. While keeping our people employed. And if they choose to keep importing phones and bicycle, PMB is saying i will not fund that. With due respect Devaluation will do our economy more harm, the problem of any economy is not the value of her currency but the productive base of that economy. Look Govt is saying if you ve maybe 900m in savings, come we will support you as a local manufacturer to import machinery and spare parts at 199 to a dollar, so you can employ Nigerians and still sell here, but the if you choose to import phones and bicycles no problem go source the dollar yourself from the parallel market, this is the advantage local manufacturers ve and the reason they are doing well now, because the can compete in price now. They won't tell you and me this because they don't want you to join them until they finish expanding their factories at 199 to a dollar. Do you no why fuel is 86.50? Reason is NNPC is import getting dollar at 199, if we devalue and dollar becomes 350, fuel price will increase, workers will demand for more wage, local manufacturers will now get dollars at 350 for spare parts, machinery, raw material import, they will no longer be able to compete and this will lead to loss of jobs. Devaluation! NO,,, NO for me, hope PMB listens
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by godoluwa(m): 4:15pm On Feb 17, 2016
sant1m, theres lot of lies in your post.
satchet water was sold at the rate of 5naira till the beginning of this month. as regard bringing down the manufacturer to Nigeria, its not something thats possible like that because theres no enabling environment. epileptic power supply & bad government policy have drove manufacturers away. wheres exide battery today? USA as well experienced as they her in technology still import from china (google will help you to verify). commercial banks are making killing profits from this bad policy & thats why they dont care. how many manufacturer known to you get required forex to keep their business moving?
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by EreluY(f): 4:29pm On Feb 17, 2016
COMPETING WITH ZIMBABWE'S CURRENCY.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Sant1m: 4:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
godoluwa:
sant1m, theres lot of lies in your post.
satchet water was sold at the rate of 5naira till the beginning of this month. as regard bringing down the manufacturer to Nigeria, its not something thats possible like that because theres no enabling environment. epileptic power supply & bad government policy have drove manufacturers away. wheres exide battery today? USA as well experienced as they her in technology still import from china (google will help you to verify). commercial banks are making killing profits from this bad policy & thats why they dont care. how many manufacturer known to you get required forex to keep their business moving?
by your comment that sachet water is 5naira, i now know that you are not in Nigeria.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by adekaz777: 4:31pm On Feb 17, 2016
Firefire:
Naira going down... Nigerian Naira might soon top the list of the valueless currency in the world going by this rate...>>>>>>>>

1. Vietnamese dong where 33,000 dong to buy just £1

2. Indonesian rupiah, which has an exchange rate of about 15,300 against the £1.

3. Columbian peso – you would need 2,880 of them to buy a single £1 coin.

4. The Tanzanian shilling, with an exchange rate of around 2,500 to £1.

5. South Korean's won is valued at about 1,730 to £1.

6. The Chilean peso is the sixth least valuable unit of currency – 760 are equivalent to £1.

7. Nigerian Naira where 470 Naira exchanges for £1.

8. Hungarian forint, at about 350 to the pound

It is well with Nigeria.
APC&BUHARI PROMISE NIGERIANS $1=N1. LETS US ENCOURAGE THEM
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by godoluwa(m): 4:32pm On Feb 17, 2016
Sant1m:
by your comment that sachet water is 5naira, i now know that you are not in Nigeria.
u must be a joker
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by greatbrian(m): 4:38pm On Feb 17, 2016
Welcome to the change u so much wanted and voted for
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by banio: 4:49pm On Feb 17, 2016
Egg in Port Harcourt is now #40. Abi we de import egg too. Anyway I think we are our problem. Those ban items should be sold at dollar equivalent price of #199. The government should enforce price control, so as to deter people from smuggling ban items into our market.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by emzila(m): 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2016
bigtt76:
Come on! I nor daft yaaa. If CBN is complaining about dwindling forex reserve because of all those sily imports and restricting our cards for international transactions, it goes on to show that CBN draws from the reserve to settle the foreign payments on our behalf. On the other hand, by making dollars scarce in the market and still restricting our cards, I should believe that they don't have to draw from the forex reserve to settle anything since we did not or could not carry out a transaction using our cards tongue I hope it answers your doubt.

it settle no doubt. just as I earlier guessed, you talk because others were talking. reasons why I said so. you do not have evidence(figures) to justify that the foreign reserve have been depleted since the card restriction policy neither do you have evidence to justify that if at all there was withdrawal from the foreign reserve, it was for the purpose of settling debt relating to transactions abroad. my advice to you especially if you are a graduate or praying to be one, never talk because others are talking, have your fact and figures to defend your statement. I hope the truth hurts you today but help you in future.
Re: Dollar Scarcity Pushes Naira To 352 by Sant1m: 4:57pm On Feb 17, 2016
godoluwa:
u must be a joker
Really, anyway in the city where i stay pure water have been sold for 10 Naira for over 3yrs now. I know you won't buy into my views, lets keep watching events with an open heart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port / We’re Unaware Of Otedola’s Share Acquisitions – FBN Holdings / FOREX Crisis: Naira Plunges To 1,025/$, Job Losses, Factory Shutdown Loom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.