Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,303 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun (35462 Views)

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Why Oba Of Benin Was Covering His Mouth / Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by playerinc(m): 12:51pm On Feb 22, 2016
janellemonae:

Truth is NOBODY cares about ur OBA except u. Same thing goes for every individual tribe. They only rule in their kingdom and among their pple. Nowhere else. DTS just the truth u need to understand.

Tell that to the Yorubas who seem to be obsessed wit Benin.
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
orisa37:
Oduduiwa is still living, just like Jesus lives.Oduduiwa is Omo Olodumare, just like Jesus is The Born Son of I am That I am. The only difference between Jesus Christ and Oduduiwa is that while Jesus was born right here on earth before our very eyes by The Holy Spirit, Oduduiwa was a Nephilim(manufactured complete Son of God in Heaven) dropped at Ile Ife as a Species of Omo Olodumare. God moulded Adam from clay. He formed Eve(Efa) from rib. He produced Nephilims(sons of God) of different colors to intermingle with daughters of men, intermarry and procreate. This is the life of Yoruba Nephilim called Oduduiwa. Yoruba land springs from the source of River Niger in the present Kebbi State, down to the Confluence and straight down to the Creek in Bayelsa State. As for those claiming to be fathers and mothers of Yoruba, time will tell. I have said before that ODU means BONDS, COVENANT and HEAVEN. IWA means CHARACTER, CULTURE and EARTH. Also ODU is GOD IN HEAVEN and IWA is OBA ON EARTH.

They won't understand and as you rightly put it,time will tell. Yoruba are not in any superiority contest with any race or tribe. We are a special breed of people with clear vision and mission. It is sheer stupidity and ignorance that will make anybody equates Oduduwa to a mortal being. Oduduwa is a living spirit in every virtuous yoruba man or woman!

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by frainc(m): 1:18pm On Feb 22, 2016
OgbeifunErom:
I hope people understand Odia's argument

It is much deeper than the headline suggests

For instance , there is no way on earth that the OP of this thread can ever comprehend that essay
don't mind the op
Copying what he/she cannot even comprehend

He copy that from VANGUARD

I read it there today
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by meforyou1(m): 1:20pm On Feb 22, 2016
macof:

grin grin grin grin. Ok, I hope you realize that Unknown to Bini traditions, Oranmiyan is actually Oduduwa's youngest child. .. he had elder siblings establish dynasties like the Alaketu, Olowu, Awujale, Ewi, Ila Orangun, Deji/Ajaponda, Olowo, Elekole, Ajero, Alara etc

so if Ranking is strictly by order of birth then Ila Orangun should come first as Oduduwa's first son, or maybe Olowu of Owu-Ipole as the first child (actually a grandchild) to receive a crown, or maybe Alaketu by being the son of Oduduwa's favorite wife, or by dynasty's strength it would go to Alaafin as head of the oyo empire

so come again on how omo n'oba n'edo is first among Obas

why do u like lying so terribly? Benin is senior to Ife
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by kanmyokoya: 1:31pm On Feb 22, 2016
orisa37:
Oduduiwa is still living, just like Jesus lives.Oduduiwa is Omo Olodumare, just like Jesus is The Born Son of I am That I am. The only difference between Jesus Christ and Oduduiwa is that while Jesus was born right here on earth before our very eyes by The Holy Spirit, Oduduiwa was a Nephilim(manufactured complete Son of God in Heaven) dropped at Ile Ife as a Species of Omo Olodumare. God moulded Adam from clay. He formed Eve(Efa) from rib. He produced Nephilims(sons of God) of different colors to intermingle with daughters of men, intermarry and procreate. This is the life of Yoruba Nephilim called Oduduiwa. Yoruba land springs from the source of River Niger in the present Kebbi State, down to the Confluence and straight down to the Creek in Bayelsa State. As for those claiming to be fathers and mothers of Yoruba, time will tell. I have said before that ODU means BONDS, COVENANT and HEAVEN. IWA means CHARACTER, CULTURE and EARTH. Also ODU is GOD IN HEAVEN and IWA is OBA ON EARTH.

from which of the books did you find your input sir ?
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Amustical(m): 1:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
Keep shut man...... Go to your government textbook. Even there, there is nothing like bini empire...... You will only see oyo empire, hausa/fulani and ibo's there. And that was our pre-colonial era of government, where yoruba rule ibini
. Meet the elders to share history with you. Don't say what you don't. If literacy makes yoruba well recognise than bibi, then take it. That is the power of education

bokohalal:

Yet to see Benin claim Ife. It is the other way around.
Hehe. Bros, Benin Empire is better known than any Yoruba textbook empire. No compare. It would be better you don't go there. I had only enumerated a few earlier. Truth is , no Yoruba state had an empire, so called. Making one up to keep with the Joneses does not cut it with people like us. We know better. Even Oyo area of influence was only within some parts of Yoruba. Benin had the rest.
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
bokohalal:
Yorubas can hold unto their spurious version since it massages their ego. They should allow the Edos to also hold on to their own more truthful version. It is not by population or education. It is the facts that matter.
O da ro.

Ovbio'ba! Ugha tor!
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Nobody: 2:03pm On Feb 22, 2016
Amustical:
Keep shut man...... Go to your government textbook. Even there, there is nothing like bini empire...... You will only see oyo empire, hausa/fulani and ibo's there. And that was our pre-colonial era of government, where yoruba rule ibini
. Meet the elders to share history with you. Don't say what you don't. If literacy makes yoruba well recognise than bibi, then take it. That is the power of education

Another juvenile rant. Read history books pre-ajayi crowther,johnsons n co and get properly educated.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by snailspeed: 2:07pm On Feb 22, 2016
frisky2good:
This is what happens when kings become liberal and allow subordinates to stylishly assume full title. The official title of the King of Benin is Omo n'Oba n'Edo, not OBA EDO. That says it all. No need for anyone to try to turn history upside down. Noone is saying the Benin king should come and pay homage to Ooni but history should not be corrupted just to suit our own desire.

Where did you folks get this from? The title of the Benin king is Oba, not Omo n Oba. Every Benin king chooses a special name at coronation just like when people choose baptisimal names. This Oba chose Omo n Oba N'edo Uku akpolokpolo Erediawa. The level of ignorance on this thread is alarming!
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by AlPeter: 2:14pm On Feb 22, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

Bring it here. You dont tell us to research Ile Ife history, do you? You tell it to us as if you are an expert on it.

It's Benin's turn. Bring your history here, tell it, and stop hiding behind macof. No Yoruba person deflects the history of Ife to a non Yoruba to tell. Bini must tell their own history and not deflect to Yoruba's account.

The truth of the matter, if you review threads here in Nairaland is that never has the story of Bini been told without using the greatness of Yoruba civilization as its anchor to shore credits and regal power. Never!

That nonsense is stopping now!

Since you believe you gave Yoruba its civilization and State, tell us your own beginning as a civilized and state power. Go to your beginning.

Where did Igodomigodo come from, who were the indigenes of the land prior, how was the land conquered, how did Ogiso dynasty take root, whats the chain of rulership, whats the structure of state, who were the heroes, the legends, the conquerors, the priests, .....showcase your greatness now or shut up forever and accept what Ooni said, Bini (not Edo) is a Yoruba dynasty.

Yorubas own the title Oba, no other society use Oba but Yorubas. Anywhere you hear Oba, its a Yoruba kingdom and state. Bini never used or use Oba.....you have Omo n'Oba.

You can twist Omo n'Oba into any fanciful meaning you want....but everyone know what Omo means, what Oba means....and they are not stewpid not to know what the combination of Omo and Oba stand for.

Oga go and read nobody will take the time and effort to educate an unwilling person like you
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by mrmachine: 2:14pm On Feb 22, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

The history of Bini has its beginnings in Ife. If you take Ife out, they are left with Edo. Edo's history is a empty shell. It contains Ogiso and Igodomigodo, thats all in it, and even the Ogiso history is a checquered one.

The Benin people are not Yorubas but the ruling class ,the Oba are partly Yoruba and Edo. The Eweka I was the offspring of Prince Oranmiyan and a Benin princess of Oguola or so. But the question is 'was Eweka I the first son of Prince Oranmiyan '?
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Nobody: 2:25pm On Feb 22, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:
OmonOba Erediuwa had a identity conflict. He wont be first nor last.

Look, the English monarchy had to distant from their German root and drop their pedigree from Battenberg in order not.to create a political storm that could consume their English hereditary.

You can write epistle and deny in media who your King is, you cannot and will not reverse the deeds of authority installed over you by Yoruba. Its a done deal!

Identity crises is what plagues the Yoruba race till date. From Oduduwa falling from d sky with a cock n calabash story to him migrating from Mecca to d Aalafin side if d story to d confused Ooni who is not sure if he was a palace attendant or Oduduwa's son.

I ask again who is Oduduwas father? Who was the king of Ife before Oduduwa? Was Ife a bare land when Oduduwa landed from d sky?
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by mrmachine: 2:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
Amustical:

Benin empire was very big and so was Yorubas, the Alaafin of Oyo empire. In fact it extended to Benin republic and part of Ghana. Both were respected. The Queen had to send Plymouth or so to Benin to look at Africa king whose subjects treated him like God. Notwithstanding each empire was great in its own estate. Benins are not Yorubas but the ruling class are related. The house of Windsor in England are Germans you can Google it. The Etsu, the king of Nupe land are Fulani while the Nupes are Tapas so is the Oba of Ilorin who is also a Fulani man. Soun of Ogbomoso is not a Yoruba man but a Nupe man from history. So after Ogiso dynasty, the first Oba Eweka I was related to Yoruba. He was the son of Prince Oranmiyan of Yoruba and Benin princes. Ooni himself was never a king in the beginning but a priest. There was a time that there no king in Ife as all the children of Okanbi had left to fund their respective domains. The priest later became the king. We refer him to Ooni.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by gentleheart1(f): 2:28pm On Feb 22, 2016
PeterKbaba:
[b]My simple questions for the Benins will be:

How long did a runaway price from Benin take to walk from Benin to Ife (Probably 3 months).
How did he survive without food and water for this period?
How can a man so dirty and tired after walking for months, be able to convince the people in Ife, he came from the sky (A better place lol)?
What language did their prince speak to the Yoruba's in Ife when he got there and how were they able to understand?
How did the Benin know that their prince was alive in Yorubaland?

If the Benin claim they own the OBA title, Why did they have to change from Ogiso Dynasty to a new Oba Dynasty?
If you believe that Oduduwa was a prince from Ogiso, there should be no reason for the Dynasty change, you guys would have continued with the Ogiso.....

My Opinion is that, the Benin knew that the was no royal Male blood to carry on from the last Ogiso Dynasty. The was serious trouble in the Kingdom, so they called for help from their closest Spiritual/Prosperous Ife people to send a Royal male to impregnate their Royal princess, so the kingship could continue (Since kingship is from the Male blood line).

Unfortunately, Since a new Male Royal Blood from Ife arrived, they had to change Dynasty from Ogiso to Obaship.
End of Story[/b]

How daft and stupid are your questions? Forget about the trekking thing, my great great grandma's Brother trekked a very long distance back home. They wanted to sell him into slavery but discovered he was a Prince after telling them about himself, his brother who was behind it all evenetually took over the throne but he still found his way back home.
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by AlPeter: 2:35pm On Feb 22, 2016
O l' orun if you don't understand a thing read or ask and stop sounding silly
NewNigeriaMind:
The is nothing like Oba of Bini.......its is OMO N OBA,

Translated.

Please I am a Yoruba, have nothing in behavior or character to a Bini, but these people should stop twisting facts.

The Bini throne is a Yoruba monarchial and fraternal throne.

Kapish
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Amustical(m): 2:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
Another Agbaya in the making...... Youngman we are talking about supremacy here.... Yoruba's ar fathers to Bini..... Education is power. Ask your elders your history stop ranting on nairaland. Everything about yoruba is properly documented and analysed. Read your government textbook verywell.

opal4real:

Another juvenile rant. Read history books pre-ajayi crowther,johnsons n co and get properly educated.

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by iwadobo: 2:43pm On Feb 22, 2016
absoluteSuccess:
[/b]

Thanks for perceiving that I reasons in Yoruba, that's what I do exactly, it tells you where I come from. Take the pains to understand me.

You are going back and forth, sort of.

If the Yoruba had not recounted an hierarchical order that got Omonoba involved, the ekaladerhan saga won't have been?

'According to Bini history', was that history ever written? If not, then the ekaladerhan is therefore a 'child of necessity'.

The issue is, do you people have a history this great that it has to wait this long to be told?

We all know we are in the era of the disclaimers, people casting off old yokes and building cultural walls than bridges.

But the long it took you to write this bini history, from the era of sending ambassadors to heaven Portugal in 15th century to date shows that perhaps,

from that time till ekaladerhan's emergence, you mean you don't have a book that reference for your 'tales of greatness' of your own?

Not necessarily a book, but classic folklores built around iconic figures like that of Emotan, Tsoede, Oduduwa, Hausa bokwoi, Queen Amina, Aladi, Eri etc.

Then the educational board would have registered your historical imprint in a subject called social study without bias, long time ago.

Why do you people waited this long with that Bini history, what history was known as Bini history to the educational board?

Who is to blame?

When was the yoruba history written? Do some little goggle search, you will see thousands of Ekaladeran story.
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by gentleheart1(f): 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2016
PeterKbaba:

How long did a runaway price from Benin take to walk from Benin to Ife (Probably 3 months).
How can a man so dirty and tired after walking for months, be able to convince the people in Ife, he came from the sky (A better place lol)?
What language did their prince speak to the Yoruba's in Ife when he got there and how were they able to understand?

If the Benin claim they own the OBA title, Why did they have to change from Ogiso Dynasty to a new Oba Dynasty?
If you believe that Oduduwa was a prince from Ogiso, there should be no reason for the Dynasty change, you guys would have continued with the Ogiso.....

My Opinion is that, the Benin knew that the was no royal Male blood to carry on from the last Ogiso Dynasty. The was serious trouble in the Kingdom, so they called for help from their closest Spiritual/Prosperous Ife people to send a Royal male to impregnate their Royal princess, so the kingship could continue (Since kingship is from the Male blood line).

Unfortunately, Since a new Male Royal Blood from Ife arrived, they had to change Dynasty from Ogiso to Obaship.
End of Story[/b]

Sorry the Ogiso dynasty was before Eweka and the first Ogiso was known as I godo(40bc-16AD) Igodo Established the bini kingdom, he also created the edion Nene known as the four elders namely Oliha,
Edohen, Ero and Eholo they were chosen based on merit.
to help the Ogiso manage the affairs of the kingdom. Note that the bini kingdom had more than 30 Ogisos.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by iwadobo: 2:49pm On Feb 22, 2016
OROSUNBOLB:

They won't understand and as you rightly put it,time will tell. Yoruba are not in any superiority contest with any race or tribe. We are a special breed of people with clear vision and mission. It is sheer stupidity and ignorance that will make anybody equates Oduduwa to a mortal being. Oduduwa is a living spirit in every virtuous yoruba man or woman!

Blasphemy, may God forgive you
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by gentleheart1(f): 3:00pm On Feb 22, 2016
Owodo
{About 1059AD-1100AD}
He was the last Ogiso, of Igodomigodo
{Benin kingdom} banished to Ihinwirin for
the killing of a pregnant woman.He
brought a lot of stresses and hardship on
the nation he was incompetent. He more or
less fell back to the habit of not
summoning the state council meeting unless
there was trouble. He was preoccupied wit
the primogeniture law especially as he had
only one son who he thought might die
before him which might leave him without
a successor. This obsession drove him to
consult the oracle as to how he might have
more male children who might succeed him.
In the end, the tragic episode of
Ikaladerhan's banishment came into our
history. However, Ikaladerhan by a change
of fortune eventually emerged at Uhe (or
Ife) as a king with the appellation
Ododuwa derived from the Benin word
"Imaghidoduwa or Imadoduwa" which is an
exclamatory word "I have not missed the
path to prosperity" a reminiscence of his
surprise at his emerging as a king in a
strange land after having left as a
refugee.

Please note that there was no way Benin could have gone to look for a successor outside if truly the successor wasn't meant to occupy the throne, bini kingdoms had other Ogiso before Owodo and they had kids who could have taken over throne if the last Ogiso didn't have Child. The bini throne is hereditary so why would bini go out to look for a king?
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 22, 2016
bokohalal:

Yoruba greatness is due to its early foray into Western education. They even created the textbook Oyo empire whereas Benin Empire had exchanged ambassadors with European nations in the 17th century . Even today, a country's greatness and influence can be measured by the number of consular and cultural offices globally.
The number of non-Bini ethnic groups and places that claim founding by Benin is unrivaled. Only Egypt surpass Benin in that regard in our region.
Just go to a little corner and try think out how to whittle down Benin's greatness. Ife, Oyo, all of Yorubaland cannot come close to our historical achievement. Others have tried and died trying.
If Oba of Benin is Yoruba, then he is first. If he is not, leave Benin out of your miserable numbering . Count only Yoruba Obas.
And all I know about Ife begins with Ekaladerhan.
you see your life..you are being sentimental in all ur posts.
starting frm d word "Oba" what is "O"in bini? i'm sure it has no meaning in ur language. what is "ba" in bini? these are too separate words.
"O" means a person "Ba" means King or Father in yoruba also....
Another yoruba word "Ode" O is d person "de" is his conditition..is also applicable to other yoruba words like Obo, Ona, Olu, Oko (husband) Ore (friend) Ode (hunter) e.t.c

The binis use alot of yoruba words that they dont even knw aside Oba e.g:

Pepeye
Okobo
Omo
Agbegi
sha
nko?
ni?
jor
jare
pele
Ashewo
Wole wole
Oba
Aiyelala
olokun
ishango

e.t.c

All Obas came frm ile ife...go and check the Akoko edo history, they will tell you they migrated frm Ife also go check Ibilo's history u will find out they are sourced frm d great IFE.

I met a old woman in benin of recent who was able to tell d truth that d binis are frm ife.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Dindondin(m): 3:15pm On Feb 22, 2016
bokohalal:

At least Benin was in existence before Oduduwa. His son came to Benin to RULE.not FOUND.
If you had opened up your mind to learning about others you would have found the perfect answer to your question.
This argument is portraying Binis as history twisters to sooth their kingdom only.
*How come Yoruba kingdom is now bigger than the Benin Kingdom?

*How come core Yoruba culture is practiced in Benin till date & they can't say a myth about the it
origin?

* Why did Oranmiyan leave Benin Kingdom to create Oyo?

And other questions like that.
On the issue of the use of Oba, common sense ll let Benin historians know that the word was not mainly used in Yorubaland because every town has its title for a ruler.
But a common name for King is Oba.
So...Benin's should not claim it as if its their language.
Owomika or Eweka is a Yoruba name. This alone should mellow arguements about his origin.
As it appears, the Yorubas & Benins have similarities but its as if its Benin that copied yourubas the most.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by uncjay(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2016
ghostmist:
if this thread were to be about the SS/SE you'd see our western neighbours invading the thread and peddling their unsolicited advice despite knowing little to nothing about the SS or SE.

showing respect is not only when you lie on your stomach like a lizard. see how the Igbos mind their own business by staying away from threads that don't concern them. but, would the others respect the igbos by doing same??

A BIG THUMBS UP TO THE IGBOS!

Now tell me how you're better off than the western you painted black and blue. Pls vindicate yasef

Thump up to the igbos who reasons and understands far above your mindset.
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by uncjay(m): 3:39pm On Feb 22, 2016
SoNature:

I'm seeing Igbo in that piece, why? Please these people should not drag Igbos into this madness. If Yorubas have scores to settle with Benin people, they should do that amicably and leave the Igbos outta it.

E be like say any argument wey Igbo no dey people no dey enjoy am. Rubbish!

I guess you have sight, reading and comprehensive disabilities.....sorry if I sound insulting, but you did not only give yourself out but also disgrace yourself.....maybe you should check again, because it is your brothers that brought your name in here....mtcheeew.....always priding it! Jezzzzzzz!
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Diademk07: 3:40pm On Feb 22, 2016
opal4real:

Identity crises is what plagues the Yoruba race till date. From Oduduwa falling from d sky with a cock n calabash story to him migrating from Mecca to d Aalafin side if d story to d confused Ooni who is not sure if he was a palace attendant or Oduduwa's son.

I ask again who is Oduduwas father? Who was the king of Ife before Oduduwa? Was Ife a bare land when Oduduwa landed from d sky?
Where did bini also come from if not the same folklores you clowns copied? Just say otherwise make thunder strike you down where you dey!
I actually tried hard not to laugh the day the bini guy in our evolution class made mention of how Osanobua sent a man down to the earth to birth bini folks! Isn't that a copied folklores?
Shameless clowns!
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by akigbemaru: 3:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
Why Bono is superior
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Diademk07: 3:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
ghostmist:
if this thread were to be about the SS/SE you'd see our western neighbours invading the thread and peddling their unsolicited advice despite knowing little to nothing about the SS or SE.

showing respect is not only when you lie on your stomach like a lizard. see how the Igbos mind their own business by staying away from threads that don't concern them. but, would the others respect the igbos by doing same??

A BIG THUMBS UP TO THE IGBOS!
What about this below? No be ya ibo broda?
meforyou1:
why do u like lying so terribly? Benin is senior to Ife
Yeye!
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by Nobody: 3:58pm On Feb 22, 2016
Dindondin:

This argument is portraying Binis as history twisters to sooth their kingdom only.
*How come Yoruba kingdom is now bigger than the Benin Kingdom?

*How come core Yoruba culture is practiced in Benin till date & they can't say a myth about the it
origin?

* Why did Oranmiyan leave Benin Kingdom to create Oyo?

And other questions like that.
On the issue of the use of Oba, common sense ll let Benin historians know that the word was not mainly used in Yorubaland because every town has its title for a ruler.
But a common name for King is Oba.
So...Benin's should not claim it as if its their language.
Owomika or Eweka is a Yoruba name. This alone should mellow arguements about his origin.
As it appears, the Yorubas & Benins have similarities but its as if its Benin that copied yourubas the most.

Epistle according to you.

What's the meaning of Eweka in Youruba?
How come d first Ogiso was Obagodo?

The last Ogiso (d father of Ekaladerhan aka Oduduwa) name was Owodo,it sounds yorubish right? Lol!
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by garamah: 4:09pm On Feb 22, 2016
Ife is far far incomparable with Bini kingdom both in existence and hierarchical order; the Bini kingdom is like a great-grand son to the Ife kingdom.
I don't know history much but I will direct any truth seeking original Bini (Benin) person to go to the Bini royal families or any old traditional Bini man/woman and ask them the relationship between the Bini royalty(and tradition custodians) and the Igbo (the present Ilaje people in Ondo state) royalty ( and tradition custodians). Tradition demands the Bini palace/kingdom supplying some sacrificial items during some of the Igbos (the Ilaje) traditional/sacrificial festival as a form of homage if you will agree with me, but that's traditional/sacred things not for public consumption. In fact ,the Bini kingdom can not say all these jargons they are saying now, comparing their stool with the Ooni of Ife, if the former (dethroned) Olugbo of Ilaje is still on the throne because he has the traditional power and right to deactivate some traditions in bini kingdom if they go beyond their traditional limit. The Ilaje people in Ondo sate can still trace their root back to Ife and Ife also acknowledged them as one of the ancient Ife aborigines, let alone the Bini kingdom of yesterday. The Binis are Yoruba any time, any day, it's just because they tend to ''over civilised'' these days and began to twist history.
The fact that a kingdom is popular has nothing to do with traditional, cultural, and historical facts and that doesn't make it superior to an unpopular kingdom. Some historical analysis these days are tailored and bent for self proclamation.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by iHustle(m): 4:21pm On Feb 22, 2016
OPCNAIRALAND:

No one cares about Edo. Do not interchange Edo and Bini. Edo is what you have for.your land, no one disputes that with you. Your monarchy is a Yoruba throne, its called Bini to separate from whatever monarchy you had prior to Oranmiyan's arrival.in Edo.
Bini is a marker for the new dynasty, a pedigree of Yoruba State Rulers, given the title OmonOba, to distinguish separately from Oba.

Stop celebrating your ignorance.
Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by frisky2good(m): 4:22pm On Feb 22, 2016
The current one chose "Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa I" while the previous one was "Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Akenzua II". Look stop deceiving yourself. The official title of Benin king is Omo n'Oba n'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo

snailspeed:

Where did you folks get this from? The title of the Benin king is Oba, not Omo n Oba. Every Benin king chooses a special name at coronation just like when people choose baptisimal names. This Oba chose Omo n Oba N'edo Uku akpolokpolo Erediawa. The level of ignorance on this thread is alarming!

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun by iHustle(m): 4:24pm On Feb 22, 2016
PeterKbaba:

End of Story[/b]

Your foolishness is legendary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prince Uchechukwu NNAM-Obi At The Nchaka Festival Of Omoku, Rivers State Photos / Do Boa Snakes Have Diamonds? / Osita Osadebe And Oliver De Coque: The Last Igbo Minstrels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.